HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill back, 1 year @ 2.25

Old
06-02-2011, 03:24 PM
Patccmoi

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
They're not actually since the only Old-D we may not re-sign is Hammer...
He said 'in the process'. 1 year on Spacek and Gill. After that our oldest D-Man is possibly going to be Markov (who is not particularly old for a D), with Subban and Gorges around him, and hopefully some of Emelin, Weber, Diaz... We'll likely sign 1 more veteran D, but I'm pretty sure they'll aim for someone more around 30-33 than someone who's 35+, I don't think they'll want the Spacek situation again.

Imo next year is going to be huge for our young D (Weber, Emelin, Diaz, maybe Nash... young at least in terms of NHL experience) because they have a perfect situation to secure a spot on the roster for the season after. If one of them can prove he's NHL-ready, then he'll most likely be of the starting line-up in 2012-2013.

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:27 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
They're not actually since the only Old-D we may not re-sign is Hammer...
Markov (32) - Subban (22)
Gill (37) - Gorges (26)
Spacek (37) - Weber (23) / Yemelin (25)

Gill & Spacek won't be around more than a year, so it's the beginning of a youth-movement for sure and getting key experience to Weber, Yemelin, Diaz is going to be very important if they don't intend on going into the UFA market or re-signing the Wiz... Which with each passing day seems to be getting more likely.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:49 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Gill (37) - Gorges (26)

Gill & Spacek won't be around more than a year, so it's the beginning of a youth-movement for sure and getting key experience to Weber, Yemelin, Diaz is going to be very important if they don't intend on going into the UFA market or re-signing the Wiz... Which with each passing day seems to be getting more likely.
I would really like Gauthier to re-sign Wiz with the salary he's gonna save with Hamrlik's departure. The Habs should keep 8 d-men on the roster anyway. The young Weber and Yemelin are gonna play at some point with injuries and the aging error prone Spacek and Gill will visit the pressbox once in a while. Next season (2012-13), Weber and Yemelin could replace these two easily.

Last edited by habitue*: 06-02-2011 at 03:57 PM.
habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Gill (37) - Gorges (26)

I think over 2 years we are transitionning to a younger defense, it wouldn't be smart to go with 4-5 young guys all at once. Hvaing Gill for another year is a nice fit and Spacek could contribute, though ideally we could move him to a cap floor team.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:57 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Send a message via AIM to Player 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I would really like that Gauthier re-sign Wiz with the salary he's gonna save with Hamrlik's departure. The Habs should keep 8 d-men on the roster anyway. The young Weber and Yemelin are gonna play at some point with injuries and the aging error prone Spacek and Gill visiting the pressbox once in a while. Next season (2012-13), Weber and Yemelin could replace these two easily.
With all those old D retiring, I hear through the Grape Vine that Wiz will end up in Detroit.

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:59 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs23 View Post
With all those old D retiring, I hear through the Grape Vine that Wiz will end up in Detroit.
If so, let's try to keep Hamrlik- at a lower price tag. But that would not me my first option.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:01 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
If so, let's try to keep Hamrlik- at a lower price tag. But that would not me my first option.
Would much rather have the Wiz signed on for a few years - at any price.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:04 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
There will be a bidding war for the Wiz, I think Detroit will have a ton of Cap space, I'm afraid that he could get out of the Habs range, damn you Gomez!!!

Old
06-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
There will be a bidding war for the Wiz, I think Detroit will have a ton of Cap space, I'm afraid that he could get out of the Habs range, damn you Gomez!!!
Has nothing to do with Gomez, Wisniewski is not worth any more than 4 mil to the Habs, but to a team without Subban and Markov as PMD's and PP point men, he might be worth 5-5.5 mil per year to those clubs.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Not at any price. But he is still quite young, a right handed shot on top of that.

Hamrlik is making 5.5. a year. If Wiz would accept a 4-year, 18 to 20 million dollars contract, I would go with it.

Next year, Spacek and Gill will be gone and the Habs will have 6 more available millions to pay for Price

Old
06-02-2011, 04:12 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Has nothing to do with Gomez, Wisniewski is not worth any more than 4 mil to the Habs, but to a team without Subban and Markov as PMD's and PP point men, he might be worth 5-5.5 mil per year to those clubs.
Of course the Wiz isn't as crucial for us. But everytime we can't up the bounty to say 5.5 Mil to try make our D offensive elite always has something to do with Gomez.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:14 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Gill (37) - Gorges (26)

I'm hoping Nash continues to develop as well.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
I'm hoping Nash continues to develop as well.
People forget about Nash all the time, he's a legit prospect.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
Mark my words...if we don't re-sign Wisniewski, we will be kicking ourselves in December.
I think it should be obvious what we need to do. We have a unique opportunity to really stack our defence with some creativity, and if we bring back Wiz/Markov and add somebody like Ehrhoff we will have the best back end in the league.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:31 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Gill (37) - Gorges (26)

Markov replaces Hammer, that's the only real difference.
Wis and Gorges are both born in 1984. Emelin and Picard only have a year between them. Weber-Subban were already there. Sopel was traded for to replace Spacek when he got injured.

Yea, in a year they won't be there, but they will be this year. In any event, I'm not worried about it. I'm hoping they will both be the less utilized Dmen, and still expecting Wiz (or a similar type) to be signed.

Our Defense should be great, for next year and the following seasons, as long as we remain healthy.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:34 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juicy Rebound View Post
Quick question, I haven't heard anything down here, but are you guys close to re-upping Wisniewski or Gorges?
Gorges is RFA so the Habs are in absolutely no hurry.

There's no indication on whether the Habs are even negotiating with Wisniewski. Which is not to say it is or isn't happening, just that it being the Habs, nobody really knows.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:50 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post

There's no indication on whether the Habs are even negotiating with Wisniewski. Which is not to say it is or isn't happening, just that it being the Habs, nobody really knows.
I've heard a few rumors that they were in preliminary discussions. I have no idea whether those reports are credible or not.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:50 PM
Dafe

With all these young D men we're getting, Gill will be a great partner for any of them ala Subban this past year.

Dafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dafe View Post
With all these young D men we're getting, Gill will be a great partner for any of them ala Subban this past year.
If Yemelin has a smooth adjustment, we could see something like this in the 2nd half...

Yemelin-Subban
Markov-Gorges
Gill-Weber
Spacek

Old
06-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:

I think Gorges can be locked up to a decent 3 contract & cheap/fair, although the spirit gives it's all, the body may be weak. Still think there can be a good arrangement.

Old
06-02-2011, 06:27 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:

There are indicators that Gorges, Markov and Wisniewski are in talks while Hamrlik, Mara and Sopel are not being pursued. But like you said, Montreal keeps its cards close to their chest so no-one really knows anything.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Of course the Wiz isn't as crucial for us. But everytime we can't up the bounty to say 5.5 Mil to try make our D offensive elite always has something to do with Gomez.
We certain could up our offer to 5.5; we actually have plenty of cap space to do it. But we won't do it because Wiz isn't really worth 5.5, and at that price we could actually find a better fit on the UFA market.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Player 61
#Winning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
There are indicators that Gorges, Markov and Wisniewski are in talks while Hamrlik, Mara and Sopel are not being pursued. But like you said, Montreal keeps its cards close to their chest so no-one really knows anything.
Gainey reset the culture(I understand why they closed the door), Still I remember when Savard, etc was around, the talk was flying everywhere like a bunch of 16 year old chicks yapping on Transit.

Now getting stuff out of the Habs is like searching for Bin Laden(Although they did get e'm eventually)

Old
06-02-2011, 06:42 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
We certain could up our offer to 5.5; we actually have plenty of cap space to do it. But we won't do it because Wiz isn't really worth 5.5, and at that price we could actually find a better fit on the UFA market.
We could probably land Ehrhoff with that (if he reaches UFA), especially if we offer the right term. I'd rather have him than Wisniewski if the Wiz is going to cost more than 4.5M.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:27 PM
Joe Cole

Here's the thing, you would have to be blind not to see that gill's weak spot is when the opposing team throws the puck behind him on the rush and he has to pivot and accelerate.

That anyone with a pulse can see, and unfortunately, that is all some people can see. They see that, then do the other thing people how cannot qualify good play do, they repeat stats.

Hall Gill is great at containing even the strongest power forward below the hash marks. He does not lay down big hits, but he blocks their paths and leans on them rendering them useless.

What he does on the PK is obvious as well. He kills the passing lanes and blocks tons of shots. In a team which lacks the type of D to shut down physical forwards, he is essential.

Ofcourse he is not Chara or Pronger. But he brings size and stability to q corps that needs that.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote