HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill back, 1 year @ 2.25

Old
05-31-2011, 05:44 PM
ThaDevilGirl

vCash: 500
Gill back is great news. As long as Martin keeps his minutes low he could be great on the backend.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:46 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Gill said he would take less to stay with the Habs. That was his own words.

That's why people expect him to sign between 1,5 and 2.
Maybe the going rate for a guy like him on the UFA market is 2.75-3 mil. He did a heck of a job against the Krejci line this year, they only started producing against Phillie and Tampa. Gill and Subban deserve a lot of credit for that along with Plekanec and Price. 6 points combined in 7 games for those 3.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:46 PM
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin

So... what happened to all the fans who were so sure that the Habs needed to resign old man Hamrlik?

WhiskeySeven* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:49 PM
TheBuriedHab

Also subban and Gorges went to managment and told them They HAD to bring gill back. Thats how important he is to the locker room. Hopefully he can become like an assistant coach afterward.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:49 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
Option A

Markov - Bieksa
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Yemelin

Option B

Markov - Pitkanen
Gill - Subban
Gorges - Yemelin

I want Bieksa (especially if he pisses off and get's in the faces of Bruins players during the Stanley Cup Finals) if not, Pitkanen is another option at 6'3" and over 210 pounds.
And Spacek evaporates into the aether?

Gill really shouldn't be playing above 5th position on the starting lineup, anchoring the 3rd pair from the left side. Problem they already have Spacek and more importantly, Spacek's money. If Spacek can be moved then fine, I love having Gill. But I'm afraid this means no both No Wiz and no new top-4 d-man.
If this shows that their decision is to run:

Markov-Gorges
Gill-Subban
Spacek-Emelin/Weber

next season then they should be adding one hell of an upgrade to the forward group to make it worthwhile.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:50 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

i used to think he was awful when he played in boston and toronto and didnt like when we signed him but hes grown on me and has been great at what he does hes never going to be a top d but hes a very good 3 pairing d and great teammate great to have him back for another year. now please sign Markov and our D is set

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:51 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedouimet View Post
Well if you think that Gill at 2.25M$ is a HUGE overpayment

Take a look at spacek/gomez contract....it will ease the pain

Ease the pain? There are only two ways to ease the pain for Habs fans: 1) Trade Spacek and/or Gomez or 2) sign or trade for a star forward this summer.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:53 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRB View Post
Weber had a great impact in the playoffs, more so than Wisniewski did.
That's just total BS! You do realize Wiz was injured halfway through game 2 right? That was actually a big turning point in the series with him not being able to shoot or even really grip his stick tight.

Quote:
I'm all for keeping Wisniewski at the right price, but it doesn't justify trading a young defenseman away when his performance-to-caphit can be as good or better than the Wiz's.
I never said we should trade him because of Wiz. I said that in my opinion, with the makeup of our team, we should move him for something we are lacking. We are most definitely not short in skilled, undersized players. It's someone else that said we shouldn't sign Wiz because he is "redundant" because of Weber! That is laughable at best! I've never seen Weber play any real tough minutes so I don't know how you can say his caphit/performance ratio can be better than Wiz either. I mean, technically, it "can" be better, but it hasn't been, and it's not even close.

Quote:
Your right about cap space being no good if we don't use it. Well, we've always spent to the cap so I don't see why your concerned about it.
I'm not concerned about us spending to the cap, I was saying that it's irrelevant that Weber makes less than a Mil compared to Wiz because the money is there. Make sure you follow the debate so we don't waste our time.

Quote:
We need to find bigger forwards as well.
I agree, and once again, the money is there.

Quote:
We won 5 in a row at one point with Weber in, and Markov/Subban out of the line up.
And??? I think we were also undefeated with Sopel in the lineup for a stretch, I don't see you advocating for him??

Quote:
Your being sensationalist right now, he may not put up Wisniewski-like numbers next season but he needs to be given a chance with a permanent position without fear that any mistake committed will result in him being benched.
Sensationalist? Please! I too think he deserves a top 6 spot... with another team! With us, he can't be more than a #7. Of course that's just my opinion!

Quote:
It has a monumental psychological effect on young players, even Subban who has a strong head was hurt by this process this year.
See, you feel it "hurt" Subban this year, I feel it was the best thing that could ever have happened to him. I want our young players to get tough love, no babying around here. Irrelevant to the discussion though so....

Quote:
The only way I support using Weber as trade fodder is if he is sent in a package for a young-ish budding powerfoward. This is the only way I would endorse such a deal.
That's fine. I don't know why you're telling me this though? I never suggested Weber being "trade fodder", you imagined that one. And I'm the sensationalist!

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:54 PM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
So... what happened to all the fans who were so sure that the Habs needed to resign old man Hamrlik?
He's a year older than Gill...

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 05:58 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

It's dam good move. The right one. It's also quite encouraging to see a guy of his age resign. It tells you he knows he has a shot to win the cup here. Seeya hammer.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsolument90 View Post
They are Czech players. Big difference between Czech and Russian.
I'll bet Hamrlik and Spacek speak Russian. It was a mandatory course in Czech schools when they were growing up.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:00 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

vCash: 178
So long as Hamrlik is gone. This works out alright. I would have preferred a lower dollar figure but I can live with it. Gill has been relatively solid for us. Wis and Markov better be on the resigned list so though.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:03 PM
Next Best Thing*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
I hope Markov will eat Hamrlik's minutes and that it cascades down from there.
Me too but we have to sign him first.

Next Best Thing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:06 PM
The Gal Pals
Breaking Hab

Spacek either has to go or be the 7th or 8th d-man.

The Gal Pals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:10 PM
Guilliam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi2teD View Post

I never said we should trade him because of Wiz. I said that in my opinion, with the makeup of our team, we should move him for something we are lacking. We are most definitely not short in skilled, undersized players. It's someone else that said we shouldn't sign Wiz because he is "redundant" because of Weber! That is laughable at best! I've never seen Weber play any real tough minutes so I don't know how you can say his caphit/performance ratio can be better than Wiz either. I mean, technically, it "can" be better, but it hasn't been, and it's not even close.
I am the on who said it but you only kept part of it. I said that with Markov, Subban and Weber, Wiz is redundant.

I said that because I think Weber should be a regular with this team and that I like a mix of offensive and defensive D on my squad.

You say Weber should be a regular but on another team. Why not on this team? because he'd become redundant with Markov, Subban and Wiz already in the line-up?
I think we agree on the main point that there's no place for Wiz and Weber on this team.

You'd prefer to keep Wiz and that's debatable. But I'd keep the one that will cost 5 times less and have the potential to be as good defensively (not as tough but more positionally sound) and offensively in a couple of years. Now if you wanna act like I just said the stupidest thing you've ever heard, feel free to do so but I just think it engages us all in a downward spiral where well argued points get lost in the chaos of insult and sarcasm.

Guilliam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:14 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I am the on who said it but you only kept part of it. I said that with Markov, Subban and Weber, Wiz is redundant.

I said that because I think Weber should be a regular with this team and that I like a mix of offensive and defensive D on my squad.

You say Weber should be a regular but on another team. Why not on this team? because he'd become redundant with Markov, Subban and Wiz already in the line-up?
I think we agree on the main point that there's no place for Wiz and Weber on this team.

You'd prefer to keep Wiz and that's debatable. But I'd keep the one that will cost 5 times less and have the potential to be as good defensively (not as tough but more positionally sound) and offensively in a couple of years. Now if you wanna act like I just said the stupidest thing you've ever heard, feel free to do so but I just think it engages us all in a downward spiral where well argued points get lost in the chaos of insult and sarcasm.
Not only that, but it also makes the team very small, because we do need to play Weber and rise his stock.

In an ideal world, I'd keep Wiz, but I think it's just not meant to be.

Unless Markov doesn't sign here, which I would find absolutely surprising.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:14 PM
MooseOllini
BobBarker

Quote:

Not only that. If we $dollar/talent, yes it's an overpayment but Gill is much more than that. Yeh, like you say, we got bad contacts like Spacek and Gomez 1 but Gill I believe is not in the same category. Right now we're giving 2.25M$ for 1 year to a reliable bottom 6 Dman who excels on the PK. The real value of Gill comes with his leadership. With maybe a younger D than last year, leadership is gonna be important and we saw how it affected Subban. + Gill could be a really nice option when he ends his career to be behind the bench as a assistant coach. Bottom line, people need to know your not only paying for the player, your ''paying respect'' for what he brought to the team and what he can bring in the future. Wich is why I believe that M.Darche should get a higher salary this year for the same reason on offense. He has the same kinda stature in the core of this team.

MooseOllini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:15 PM
White Spy
Spy vs Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Gill said he would take less to stay with the Habs. That was his own words.

That's why people expect him to sign between 1,5 and 2.
Actually, what I remember him saying is: "I'll stay as long as they'll have me... until they kick me out." Do you remember where you heard, or read this quote?

White Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitespy View Post
Actually, what I remember him saying is: "I'll stay as long as they'll have me... until they kick me out." Do you remember where you heard, or read this quote?
Nope, I have to say, I don't remember that one, and neither the Hamr one. I thought both were valid quotes. Most people probably assumed that's what he meant, or it's another quote.

Old
05-31-2011, 06:21 PM
Taupy

TSN.ca says it's done.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367491

Taupy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:

Or it would add to the pain.

Habs Icing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:22 PM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
Markov - Gorges
Subban - Gill
Emelin - Spacek / Weber

or get rid of Spacek and get Bieksa and weber is 7th

ClasslessGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:23 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
We melted like witches as soon as Gill was re-signed. Oh no, wait, we're still here?

I would've re-signed Hamrlik instead, but the writing was on the wall after PG's post season speech about placing a high value on chemistry. I'm a believer that chemistry is created by good players, not the other way around. I think a Hamrlik-Subban pairing would've gone well, had it been tried. That said, there's not a big enough difference between Hamrlik and Gill to make a stink about, and Hamrlik would have cost more. Now the Habs can invest some cash in forwards. Here's hoping for Higgins and/or Upshall.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Protest the Hero

I demand he opens a twitter page to celebrate!

Also this puts an end to any speculation about left handed ufa dman. Now we sit back and complain when some of them are signed to contracts cheaper than we were expecting.

Protest the Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
We melted like witches as soon as Gill was re-signed. Oh no, wait, we're still here?

I would've re-signed Hamrlik instead, but the writing was on the wall after PG's post season speech about placing a high value on chemistry. I'm a believer that chemistry is created by good players, not the other way around. I think a Hamrlik-Subban pairing would've gone well, had it been tried. That said, there's not a big enough difference between Hamrlik and Gill to make a stink about, and Hamrlik would have cost more. Now the Habs can invest some cash in forwards. Here's hoping for Higgins and/or Upshall.
Thinking about chemistry, you could still see this :

Markov(5)-Gorges(2,5)
Gill(2,25)-Subban(0,875)
Hamr(3,9)-Spacek(3,833)

Emelin(0,975)-Weber(0,9)

For a 20,233 mil D squad. Just 1 mil more than last year (which is the difference between carrying 7 Ds or 8 Ds).

And with Hamr, Gill and Spacek going next year, we'll still have room to tweak the team and give upgrades to Price and Subban.

We'd still have around 3 - 3,5 mil to add a forward with AK also signed at 3 mil.