HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hal Gill back, 1 year @ 2.25

Old
05-31-2011, 06:34 PM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
If you want a winning team, you'll consider Markov and Subban as your #1 and 2, and Gorges and Gill as your #5-6, not as 3-4.

Spacek is a redundance of the 5-6 position.

Weber has nice upside, but falls in the 6-7th category, but at least, he has been used as a winger and didn't do so bad, so they'll probably juggle with him a bit.

Emelin has ZERO north american experience, so you count him as 7th.

Diaz will probably start in the AHL.

And all that is just based on what you should expect from these players in normal play (Gorges and Gill could easily get overused playing 2nd pairing time ALL season long, and what happens if Markov falls?), but doesn't count what we'll need. We need to solidify the 2nd pairing. We also need to add some size.

Signing Gill doesn't mean Hamr is gone. People who believe that are making an extremely premature conclusion, simplistic at that. He might not come back, but signing Gill doesn't mean we don't have place for Hamr, we actually need to either sign him back or find a suitable replacement, and neither Emelin nor Gill, nor Gorges fit the bill.

Hamr is still a stop gap solution for the 2nd pairing.

After all these years of seeing how this management operates, how they invision the D squad... it should be evident that they won't start with Emelin on the top 4, and neither with Gorges nor Gill.

Finally someone who sees clearly.
I agree with everything ozzy

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:35 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
He accepted only a 1 year deal? I'm kinda surprised.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:36 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I agree with everything ozzy
I'm kinda wondering if you're being sarcastic.

You gotta understand...

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:37 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Dman coach after that?

BLONG7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
yeah, that's what struck me immediately. I mean, if he was looking for 2 years, he could have waited a bit longer.

It makes me think that next season could be curtains for Gill.

Anyways, glad to have him back. He earned another contract with his shutdown role and PK abilities.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:47 PM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
So... what happened to all the fans who were so sure that the Habs needed to resign old man Hamrlik?
I think that would have been the better move. Gill doesn't really fit in the picture, unless one of Gill or Spacek is slotted at #4 and that's less than ideal -- and Montreal's strength ought to be on the blueline.

Quote:
He's a past-35 player. Any more than one year is a risk, and I don't think he would have gotten a longer deal anywhere else.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:50 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I am the on who said it but you only kept part of it. I said that with Markov, Subban and Weber, Wiz is redundant.

I said that because I think Weber should be a regular with this team and that I like a mix of offensive and defensive D on my squad.

You say Weber should be a regular but on another team. Why not on this team? because he'd become redundant with Markov, Subban and Wiz already in the line-up?
I think we agree on the main point that there's no place for Wiz and Weber on this team.

You'd prefer to keep Wiz and that's debatable. But I'd keep the one that will cost 5 times less and have the potential to be as good defensively (not as tough but more positionally sound) and offensively in a couple of years. Now if you wanna act like I just said the stupidest thing you've ever heard, feel free to do so but I just think it engages us all in a downward spiral where well argued points get lost in the chaos of insult and sarcasm.
I agree with you on this for sure.

For me it's one or the other. I'd concede that Wisniewski is more comfortable out there offensively right now and is more effective, I think defensively it's pretty close. Weber is better positionally as you mentioned and makes less "dumb" decisions", Wiz has a better first pass (although Weber's is sufficiently good) and play a bit more physical. In a cap-world, it makes sense to keep Weber while he is in full-progression and dirt cheap on our books and use the money saved to address another area of weakness which is our scoring depth at forward. Especially a big forward like Laich, Cole, or a trade. Trading Weber only makes sense if you can make a package to get this type of forward, and that the said player is still in his prime.

From my personal perspective and analysis from the games, with a goalie like Carey in nets the difference between having Weber or Wisniewski on the ice is slight, the best thing we can do is try to score more goals to give Carey more room to breath.

As for the PP, I want the Habs to adopt a TB-style PP with Markov high at the point and Subban in the left circle like Stamkos and Cammy at the right circle. Opens all sorts of doors.

In any case, to get a little more on topic... I think Gill is a huge lockeroom presense, he obviously helps on the PK and if we can play him on the third pairing he won't really hurt us on the ice.

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:54 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
I'm kinda wondering if you're being sarcastic.

You gotta understand...
I understand we've bumped heads before, but we have been pretty much on par here with the D so far. From Emelin to Gorges ect.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:59 PM
overlords
Hfboards

If gorges really did call gauthier to tell him how important gill is, i figure this should be pretty important in getting gorges to sign quickly.

Now if we're not signing Wiz, trade his rights for the rights to Laich or Ericsson and we're laughing.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:05 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
So if this is true:

Subban
Weber
Emelin
Diaz
Spacek
Gill.

Why is it taking so long to sign Gorges & Markov?
There is zero chance Montreal will move DIAZ to the NHL roster while Subban, Weber and Yemelin are on it. 4 young kids at D? Not a chance....Now that Gill has been signed, and Gorges is coming back, I see

Subban Wiz
Weber Spacek
Gill Gorges
Yemelin (he prefers' that spelling)

If Markov is resigned (I personally doubt it), then Wiz would not be resigned.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:08 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper View Post
There is zero chance Montreal will move DIAZ to the NHL roster while Subban, Weber and Yemelin are on it. 4 young kids at D? Not a chance....Now that Gill has been signed, and Gorges is coming back, I see

Subban Wiz
Weber Spacek
Gill Gorges
Yemelin (he prefers' that spelling)

If Markov is resigned (I personally doubt it), then Wiz would not be resigned.
I assume you meant Yemelin and Diaz are inexperienced at NHL level, because both are 25 and not "young kids".

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:09 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
If gorges really did call gauthier to tell him how important gill is, i figure this should be pretty important in getting gorges to sign quickly.

Now if we're not signing Wiz, trade his rights for the rights to Laich or Ericsson and we're laughing.
I don t think gorges or Markov will be a big problem. Could a move with Spacek be in the works because as it stand it is not a very rugged defense. Asking White to be the enforcer for PK, yemelin and Markov is asking alot.

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:10 PM
Ceux de Montreal
help

And really, what's up with Carle? Is he really that bad for the Habs to have absolutely NO confidence in him?

He is a 2nd round pick from 2006 Entry Draft, and have only appeared in three NHL games since then.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Sargent Pepper*

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I assume you meant Yemelin and Diaz are inexperienced at NHL level, because both are 25 and not "young kids".
I stand corrected.....did not mean Young Kids but inexperienced.

Sargent Pepper* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:14 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
And really, what's up with Carle? Is he really that bad for the Habs to have absolutely NO confidence in him?

He is a 2nd round pick from 2006 Entry Draft, and have only appeared in three NHL games since then.
Injuries have really hurt his development. Good AHL depth but I wouldn't be surprised to see him make the jump to europe sometime soon.

Old
05-31-2011, 07:14 PM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post

He got injured a lot in the past, and this slowed down his development.

Then, Subban and Weber came around, and they were better prospects than hims, so they were called first, thus making him looks "bad" by comparison.

In the end he will probably have his chance, and could even make a NHL career, but maybe not with the habs. At this point of his career, we're not a good fit at all.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:28 PM
HomaridII

MaxPacioretty67 Max Pacioretty
Congrats to Hal Gill for re-signing ... awesome guy and glad he is going to be back #skillzy

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:29 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
MaxPacioretty67 Max Pacioretty
Congrats to Hal Gill for re-signing ... awesome guy and glad he is going to be back #skillzy
It's really fun to see young guys so attached to an old crotchety man like gill. It's like the premise to a disney film.

Old
05-31-2011, 07:32 PM
SB164

matdarche52 Mathieu Darche
Yeah!!! Gillsy is back. Très content du retour de Hall Gill!

Giostyle21 Brian Gionta
Great to have the big man back in MTL, now all he has to do is Babysit PK! Heads up PK!!

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:38 PM
HomaridII

Giostyle21 Brian Gionta
Great to have the big man back in MTL, now all he has to do is Babysit PK! Heads up PK!!

PKSubban1 P.K. Subban
Pretty happy #Skillzy got the extension! Congrats Bud! See you Grand Prix weekend!

HomaridII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:41 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post
Seeya hammer.
lets hope so.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:45 PM
JGRB
#EllerThugLife

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomaridII View Post
Giostyle21 Brian Gionta

PKSubban1 P.K. Subban
Pretty happy #Skillzy got the extension! Congrats Bud! See you Grand Prix weekend!
I fully expected this type of reaction, especially from PK...

This is why I want Gill paired with Weber next season, show him the ropes!

JGRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:47 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
hopefully it means he's history....

But I wouldn't be opposed to giving Roman 700K, oth.

He played 700K worth this post season
Personnally, I believe Hamrlik is unjustfully attacked in this board. He's very good playing his own role....not playing #1 or #2. I'll predict that if he goes, we'll see more "I miss Hammer" more than you think we will.

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:50 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilliam View Post
I am the on who said it but you only kept part of it. I said that with Markov, Subban and Weber, Wiz is redundant.

I said that because I think Weber should be a regular with this team and that I like a mix of offensive and defensive D on my squad.

You say Weber should be a regular but on another team. Why not on this team? because he'd become redundant with Markov, Subban and Wiz already in the line-up?
I think we agree on the main point that there's no place for Wiz and Weber on this team.

You'd prefer to keep Wiz and that's debatable. But I'd keep the one that will cost 5 times less and have the potential to be as good defensively (not as tough but more positionally sound) and offensively in a couple of years. Now if you wanna act like I just said the stupidest thing you've ever heard, feel free to do so but I just think it engages us all in a downward spiral where well argued points get lost in the chaos of insult and sarcasm.
No worries man, I didn't mean any disrespect.

Just that, you saying Wiz is redundant because of Weber is way off base because one is not even in the same class as the other. If you want to argue salaries and things like that then that's fine but you saying it like that implies Weber could replace Wiz's role. Wiz is a legit #3, Weber hasn't proven to be a #6 yet. More importantly Wiz brings one of our biggest needs, toughness.

Now I don't feel it needs to be Wiz or nothing, just that we need a legit #2-3 if we don't re-sign him. My dream scenario would be Pitkanen(If we sign a couple tough guys) or Bieksa.

If we get rid of Spacek, I'd keep Weber.

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:55 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

The trade is just meh, yes he is good in pk, but he is slow, big but can't fight or hit, and sometimes he is such a pylon.

i was hoping for Wiz instead.

VAN-HAB is offline   Reply With Quote