HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal re-signs Hal Gill (1 year/$2.25 million)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
05-31-2011, 06:11 PM
  #26
GCM
Stork
 
GCM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,040
vCash: 500
Good signing.

GCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:12 PM
  #27
Patty Roy
Registered User
 
Patty Roy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,754
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vsevolod Bobrov View Post
That means Wisniewski will go UFA ?
This signing doesn't impact Wisniewski one bit.

The Habs have the space to re-sign Markov and Wisniewski, however its more likely that they will re-sign one and go after a top 6 forward with the money saved by not signing the other.

The Gill signing was very predictable...both in term and dollar figure. He's a key leader for the team, a good mentor and strong on the PK.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:36 PM
  #28
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,566
vCash: 500
$2.25M is probably too much for Gill. If Hamrlik was signed for $2.25M for 1 year I would have been happy, and he himself knows that he can no longer play as many minutes as he used to. Same goes for Hal Gill too.

Hal Gill is (or will be) an ES pylon...

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:45 PM
  #29
De Montreal
help
 
De Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
$2.25M is probably too much for Gill. If Hamrlik was signed for $2.25M for 1 year I would have been happy, and he himself knows that he can no longer play as many minutes as he used to. Same goes for Hal Gill too.

Hal Gill is (or will be) an ES pylon...
Gill was just fine last year, regular season and ES time included. How can he get worse in one summer? I mean it's not like he can get any slower.

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:47 PM
  #30
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,366
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
$2.25M is probably too much for Gill. If Hamrlik was signed for $2.25M for 1 year I would have been happy, and he himself knows that he can no longer play as many minutes as he used to. Same goes for Hal Gill too.

Hal Gill is (or will be) an ES pylon...
how I feel as well.

Never a bad thing to re-sign a guy who has had as much of a positive locker room impact as Gill has (apparently), but the guy was painful to watch at even strength during the playoffs... just can't move... and it's only going to get worse by the end of another long season.

this is a situation where there was more incentive for the player than the team to get a deal done soon, so imo PG made the deal too soon if that's the best "hometown discount" he could get from Gill.

edit- just saw Berglund signed a 2-year deal for the same price tag... granted he was an RFA, it will be painful to watch how much he gives the blues compared to how little we get from Gill for the same price tag (obviously different players/positions, but imo Berglund is going to break out this year an establish himself as a quality top-line player, whereas the habs will be lucky to get serviceable bottom-pairing even strength minutes out of Gill even if he's effective in our PK system).

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:51 PM
  #31
De Montreal
help
 
De Montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: omg montréal lolzzz
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,422
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
how I feel as well.

Never a bad thing to re-sign a guy who has had as much of a positive locker room impact as Gill has (apparently), but the guy was painful to watch at even strength during the playoffs... just can't move... and it's only going to get worse by the end of another long season.

this is a situation where there was more incentive for the player than the team to get a deal done soon, so imo PG made the deal too soon if that's the best "hometown discount" he could get from Gill.
Everytime Hal Gill got injured, the team really missed him, especially on the PK. He is a good asset to have around. It's not like he was a regular healthy scratch last year, it's the opposite. If anything, it may be his last year before retirement. I remember when the Habs re-sign Brisebois, many were scared but he ended up providing us good services!

De Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:53 PM
  #32
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Gill was just fine last year, regular season and ES time included. How can he get worse in one summer? I mean it's not like he can get any slower.
There's more to playing D than speed. Yes, I know Hal Gill is a slow D-man but if we use him too much he'll be a pylon by the trade deadline.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 06:57 PM
  #33
Bob Cole
Bon voyage #4
 
Bob Cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,058
vCash: 500
great signing, gill was an absolute rock last year. With all the injuries on our blueline, he got way too many minutes but he was still solid down the stretch.

bye bye hammer

Bob Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:33 PM
  #34
Bleeker
Registered User
 
Bleeker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Middle earth
Posts: 439
vCash: 500
Good signing by the Habs. Excellent 5th or 6th D who will continue to teach Subban. He earned that kind of money

Bleeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 07:58 PM
  #35
Bad News Bears
LISTEN TO LIFETIME
 
Bad News Bears's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 3,718
vCash: 500
I don't always resign vets to a good cap hit, but when I do, I make sure its Harold Priestley Gill the 3rd.

Bad News Bears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:34 PM
  #36
Clipitar
Registered User
 
Clipitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
how I feel as well.

Never a bad thing to re-sign a guy who has had as much of a positive locker room impact as Gill has (apparently), but the guy was painful to watch at even strength during the playoffs... just can't move... and it's only going to get worse by the end of another long season.

this is a situation where there was more incentive for the player than the team to get a deal done soon, so imo PG made the deal too soon if that's the best "hometown discount" he could get from Gill.

edit- just saw Berglund signed a 2-year deal for the same price tag... granted he was an RFA, it will be painful to watch how much he gives the blues compared to how little we get from Gill for the same price tag (obviously different players/positions, but imo Berglund is going to break out this year an establish himself as a quality top-line player, whereas the habs will be lucky to get serviceable bottom-pairing even strength minutes out of Gill even if he's effective in our PK system).
I've been waiting for that for nearly 3 years now.

He sure is an effective top-9 centerman, but each and every year that goes by, his chances of becoming that top-liner we all thought he would become erode a little further. But he's huge, and these types of frames sometimes take longer to fulfill their potential...

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:37 PM
  #37
Clipitar
Registered User
 
Clipitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Carmoni View Post
great signing, gill was an absolute rock last year. With all the injuries on our blueline, he got way too many minutes but he was still solid down the stretch.

bye bye hammer
I thought his first year he was pretty average during the regular season and became rock solid during the playoff run.

Oddly, last year was kind of the opposite. He was much better than I expected all season long (thought he would be tired), but ok at best in the playoffs.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 08:42 PM
  #38
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeker View Post
Good signing by the Habs. Excellent 5th or 6th D who will continue to teach Subban. He earned that kind of money
And he will teach Emelin and possibly Diaz as well.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:23 PM
  #39
Tiger Svoboda
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
I'm happy to see Gill back at 2.25M. He is slow but effective in is role. The 1 year deal also gives the habs flexibility.

Tiger Svoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:24 PM
  #40
Kimota
Nation of Poutine
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 22,412
vCash: 500
That's a bit steap. But he has been very important for us since he joined the club.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 09:31 PM
  #41
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 43,173
vCash: 500
This only really means Hamrlik is gone, which is sweet.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:08 PM
  #42
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!
 
Mathradio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 9,566
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
This only really means Hamrlik is gone, which is sweet.
The only way Hamrlik could stay is if he could become a D-man coach.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:20 PM
  #43
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,418
vCash: 500
No official announcement from the Habs?

Don't quite understand how Gill becomes a priority. If he's not in the top four to start the season and the Habs have two other legitimate top four d-man to go with Subban and Markov then I'm okay with Gill on a third pairing or better yet in the pressbox. But if Gill is being signed to be a top four d-man then I've lost faith in Habs' management. Because Hal Gill was forced into a top four role doesn't mean he's a top four d-man.

Don't like the signing at the moment because now the Habs have a log jam of 5th / 6th in Gorges (coming off major knee surgery), Emelin (has not played an NHL minute), Weber (still a work in progress), Spacek (a work in deterioration).

Markov - ????
???? - Subban
Gorges, Weber, Emelin, Gill, Diaz, Spacek

The fact that Gill seemingly has become a priority over legitimate top four d-men is disgruntling. This re-signing makes me a little nervous. If Weber gets traded I'll be peeved.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:33 PM
  #44
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,651
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
No official announcement from the Habs?

Don't quite understand how Gill becomes a priority. If he's not in the top four to start the season and the Habs have two other legitimate top four d-man to go with Subban and Markov then I'm okay with Gill on a third pairing or better yet in the pressbox. But if Gill is being signed to be a top four d-man then I've lost faith in Habs' management. Because Hal Gill was forced into a top four role doesn't mean he's a top four d-man.

Don't like the signing at the moment because now the Habs have a log jam of 5th / 6th in Gorges (coming off major knee surgery), Emelin (has not played an NHL minute), Weber (still a work in progress), Spacek (a work in deterioration).

Markov - ????
???? - Subban
Gorges, Weber, Emelin, Gill, Diaz, Spacek

The fact that Gill seemingly has become a priority over legitimate top four d-men is disgruntling. This re-signing makes me a little nervous. If Weber gets traded I'll be peeved.
Gorges is at least a 4. They'd need a 3.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:50 PM
  #45
SB164
Registered User
 
SB164's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,493
vCash: 500
Judging by the comments in this thread (especially the ones from outside of the Habs fanbase), I think it's fair to say Gill has gained more respect in the last two years.

Many of you will also have to remember that with the absence of Markov, and the emergence of Subban, Gill was getting top shutdown-D mins by the second half of the season and the playoffs. This is clearly not his role, but he did it much more effectively than most people anticipated.

Good signing, just goes to show you that character guys with experience and leadership qualities will always have a place in this league.

SB164 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:51 PM
  #46
swimmer77
Post Oates
 
swimmer77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: in water
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 3,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Gorges is at least a 4. They'd need a 3.
I don't think of Gorges as a top 4 except in short spurts. I'd still rather the Habs sign two of Wiz, Hamrlik or other (Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen) in addition to Markov than moving a "smallish" Gorges coming off of major knee surgery into that slot in order to make room for sluggish Gill.

I look at the Habs D in terms of that great what if - "what if Markov gets injured"? Right now it's Subban, Gill, Gorges, Spacek, Emelin, Weber, Diaz. I don't like that scenario. Subban would have to shoulder one heckuva a load especially offensively.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:11 PM
  #47
Jag68Sid87
Nothing Else Maattas
 
Jag68Sid87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 29,454
vCash: 500
Very good signing by Montreal. Gill has been exceptional in two years with the Habs. Their system is tailor-made for him. He's essentially the de facto captain of that team, imo.

I'd even have given him two more years. He ain't getting any slower, that's for sure.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:11 PM
  #48
Clipitar
Registered User
 
Clipitar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,383
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by swimmer77 View Post
I don't think of Gorges as a top 4 except in short spurts. I'd still rather the Habs sign two of Wiz, Hamrlik or other (Bieksa, Ehrhoff, Pitkanen) in addition to Markov than moving a "smallish" Gorges coming off of major knee surgery into that slot in order to make room for sluggish Gill.

I look at the Habs D in terms of that great what if - "what if Markov gets injured"? Right now it's Subban, Gill, Gorges, Spacek, Emelin, Weber, Diaz. I don't like that scenario. Subban would have to shoulder one heckuva a load especially offensively.
I think your memory needs some refreshing if you don't think Gorges is a legitimate top-4. I agree we'll have to see how he fares after his long-needed surgery, but I think most teams in this league would love to have him as their #4, as long as they keep him away from the PP!

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:23 PM
  #49
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,769
vCash: 500
Hopefully he goes on another massive goalscoring streak this year too.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:30 AM
  #50
Maelmoor
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Maelmoor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 3,692
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Maelmoor
Good signingby the Habs, he is a bit underrated, people just tend to see that he is slow but his reach and strength in front of the goal makes up for that.

__________________
Todd Harvey, Adam Oates and Darren Puppa, you are all missed in the game of hockey!
Maelmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:19 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.