HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers also release goaltending prospect Riopel

Old
06-07-2011, 09:30 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

vCash: 500
Flyers also release goaltending prospect Riopel

http://www.gcobb.com/2011/06/05/flye...ospect-riopel/

Quote:
By random chance, I had lunch on Friday with someone that works in the scouting office for an NHL team and I brought up the fact that the Flyers had released a goaltending prospect (referring to Joacim Eriksson).

They replied, “Riopel?” which threw me for a loop, to say the least. Talking further, they indicated that prospect Nicola Riopel’s rights had been released by the Flyers.

I elected not to post that information until there was confirmation from another reporter. Bill Meltzer of Hockeybuzz confirmed that news.

Riopel, unfortunately, never grabbed the reins at the AHL level. At 22, he’s too young to call him a “bust,” but like Eriksson he wasn’t playing at a level where the Flyers felt he was worth a contract. He had a 3.55 goals-against-average and 0.874 save percentage over ten games with the Adirondack Phantoms this past season. He spent the bulk of the season in the ECHL.

Geoff Detweiler of Broad Street Hockey said it best on twitter- “Losing Riopel too would just be the spit after the groin kick.”

The status of goaltender Brian Stewart is unknown while the Flyers still hold the rights of Jakub Kovar thanks to a ridiculous loophole in the NHL’s drafting rules.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

This is one I'm completely "meh" about. Never heard anything really great about him.

06-07-2011, 09:32 PM
JVR21
G

Good. Don't waste a contract spot on him.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:36 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
I was sort of interested to see how he panned out, but I suppose they could always give him a minor league contract.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:42 PM
Fenza
G-Rouxnit

Yeah this won't bother me.

Fenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Not surprised, but how many goalie prospects are left in the system now? Got to think we'll use one of our few picks on one.

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

When people are ignorant about the quality of player that is in the farm system its very easy to be apathetic. he set the QMJHL record w/2.05 GAA in 08-09 season. Also won Jacques Plante Memorial Trophy for league’s lowest GAA and Michel Briere Memorial Trophy as QHMJHL’s Player of the Year. Backstopped Moncton to QMJHL championship in 09-10 and advanced to Memorial Cup tournament...

is he the answer for the NHL? well he was toldby homer hes too small for the NHL although actual height and weight are same as Bob's... he gets put into the GRW afiliate and shines and is brought up on a few stints on an ok team in a bad year....

I got to witness the farm system cultivation first hand and while im not a fanboy of his, i can appreciate the talent he has an the lack of support from the affiliates on the AHL and NHL level. (ours) if there is anyone on these boards that can give an unbiased answer it would be johnny8242

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:54 AM
facts

The glaring disappointment here, is that we have released 2 goalies over the last week, signed a few more long shots and then were forced to trade picks and stock for the negotiating rights of another goalie. We have no drafting skill regarding goalies and absolutely zero development at any level.

facts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
tuckrr

Im going to sleep just fine tonight...
on the other hand, if we could make a trade for Miko Koskinen id love that...

hoskinen/koskinen one of those 6'7" giants will pan out

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:09 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

We had discussions about him on the staff board. Forbes and I both agreed that he was an extreme long shot to be an NHL goalie. Some other writers questioned it because of his record setting runs in the QMJHL, but it was pretty evident that Riopel was not going to be make waves at the professional level. There is something to say that we could've had a bit more patience, but being patience wasn't going to fix everything.

Anyway, I thought everyone already knew we lost Riopel. It was clarified somewhere in either the prospects thread or the Eriksson thread.

We've lost Eriksson, Bertilsson, Riopel, Morrison, and Labrecque.

On July 1st they will probably elect to lose Legein, Kalinski, Bordson, Klotz, and Stewart.

EDIT: Sorry, it wasn't Farkas, it was Forbes who agreed with me. It was about a year ago.

Last edited by CS: 06-08-2011 at 06:07 PM.
CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

NOOOOOOO!!! Not Klotz!

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:24 PM
mirimon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
We had discussions about him on the staff board. Mike Farkas and I both agreed that he was an extreme long shot to be an NHL goalie. Some other writers questioned it because of his record setting runs in the QMJHL, but it was pretty evident that Riopel was not going to be make waves at the professional level. There is something to say that we could've had a bit more patience, but being patience wasn't going to fix everything.

Anyway, I thought everyone already knew we lost Riopel. It was clarified somewhere in either the prospects thread or the Eriksson thread.

On July 1st they will probably elect to lose Legein, Kalinski, Bordson, Klotz, and Stewart.
What about Tye McGinn? He hasn't signed a contract yet, right? Will he be on the Phantoms next season?

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:27 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
What about Tye McGinn? He hasn't signed a contract yet, right? Will he be on the Phantoms next season?
No word on what's going on with him, but I suspect he will be signed. He's a 2010 pick remember. He also had a very strong camp last year.

Old
06-08-2011, 05:55 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
NOOOOOOO!!! Not Klotz!
When he retires we can raise a banner in his honor at the Wells Fargo Center.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:05 PM
pelts35.com

There were a bunch of people here who just looked at his stats in juniors and thought that would automatically translate into him being a legitimate prospect. Simply put, he was mediocre in the ECHL and below average in the AHL. No loss at all by releasing him.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:22 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Without Klotz we will never have the opportunity to acquire bad-decent prospects ever again!

06-08-2011, 08:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I saw a tweet from someone on Twitter like three or four days ago saying something to the effect of "the only bad thing about losing Nic Riopel is losing his mask as well" and then there was a pic of his mask from the Phantoms (which wasn't that sweet IMO). I just figured whoever it was was wrong since it wasn't mentioned anywhere else I saw.

EDIT: Here it is...

Quote:
sbaickerCSN Sarah Baicker
Perhaps the worst part of the #Flyers losing Nic Riopel's rights? Loss of his awesome goalie mask: http://*******/kxbQqm

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 06:46 AM
Don Nachbaur 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Not surprised, but how many goalie prospects are left in the system now? Got to think we'll use one of our few picks on one.
Wait, we have draft picks?? I thought we declined them all. Oh well... I saw him play vs. Lowell in Nov. 2009 . Wasn't impressed, said so in the prospect board...got slammed by Shafer for saying it. Europe in a couple of years for him, maybe.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 07:35 AM
Garbage Goal

Quote:
We had discussions about him on the staff board. Forbes and I both agreed that he was an extreme long shot to be an NHL goalie. Some other writers questioned it because of his record setting runs in the QMJHL, but it was pretty evident that Riopel was not going to be make waves at the professional level. There is something to say that we could've had a bit more patience, but being patience wasn't going to fix everything.

EDIT: Sorry, it wasn't Farkas, it was Forbes who agreed with me. It was about a year ago.
...Do we have anyone left?

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:53 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Assuming Bryz is signed and Bob, what else do you need for the foreseeable future?

I'm sure that at the draft a goalie or two will be drafted.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 10:40 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
Assuming that Phillips is a non-prospect at this point, we're down to Hovinen and Kovar in goal.

Wellwood, Sestito, Holmstrom, Read, Pither, Akeson, Testwuide, and Rinaldo in the AHL at forward. Waiting on Ranford, Parks, and what's happening with McGinn next year.

Defensively there is Gustafsson, Marshall, and I have high hopes for Manning. Bourdon and Lehtivuori are still there of course with their own hurdles to jump, and the organization seems to like Lauridsen though I don't see it just yet. I guess Hostetter as well? Oh and Luukko.

The rest? Well...yeah.

Old
06-09-2011, 10:42 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Assuming that Phillips is a non-prospect at this point, we're down to Hovinen and Kovar in goal.

Wellwood, Sestito, Holmstrom, Read, Pither, Akeson, Testwuide, and Rinaldo in the AHL at forward. Waiting on Ranford, Parks, and what's happening with McGinn next year.

Defensively there is Gustafsson, Marshall, and I have high hopes for Manning. Bourdon and Lehtivuori are still there of course with their own hurdles to jump, and the organization seems to like Lauridsen though I don't see it just yet. I guess Hostetter as well? Oh and Luukko.

The rest? Well...yeah.
Good lord, they might as well have open tryouts.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:53 PM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:

The rest? Well...yeah.
Wow...

We have an atrocious prospects pool

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:37 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

1st Eriksson!
Now Riopel!
"The Sky is Falling"
"The Sky is Falling"

Me. I am just waiting to see where this all shakes out before I pass any judgment. I want to win the cup 1st and foremost. Like I have said before. This should be a very interesting off season. GO Flyers

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:57 PM
BernieParent

Holmgren's condition on signing Bryzgalov to >$6 mil per season is that he will have to play goal for the AHL and ECHL affiliates, too.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote