HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Purcell's comments on playing with LA

Old
05-27-2011, 03:56 PM
Scrivezina
Who needs offense?

vCash: 500
Purcell's comments on playing with LA

Interesting read. I'll keep my comments out for now.

http://www.thestar.com/sports/hockey...lead-lightning

Scrivezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:10 PM
londonking

90+ games and 8 freaking goals... nuff said. Had the talent but lacked the drive.

Glad to see him doing well now but he had his shot with the Kings the rest is history.

londonking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:11 PM
SMoneyMonkey

What? Murray is horrible with prospects? No way!

SMoneyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMoneyMonkey View Post
What? Murray is horrible with prospects? No way!
Yup, he's been real terrible with Doughty, Martinez, Clifford & Simmonds

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:30 PM
johnjm22

The article doesn't say much really, but you did just serve up some red meat for Herby & Co.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 04:54 PM
HeadInjury

When Teddy was here he wasn't showing signs that he was being underutilized, like Richardson or Lewis sometimes have. He just wasn't cutting it. What he would have done here had he been given more time is the question that we will never have an answer to. Maybe it was the coach, maybe it was style, maybe it was chemistry with linemates, maybe he's just trying harder now. Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.

The only thing that is clear is that the trade did not work out for us. Still, if you look at our depth chart at right wing, I don't see his loss creating a hole.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:03 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
zing!

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:06 PM
Herby
Culture Changer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro View Post
zing!
Hey no one ever said bottom line players, goaltenders and defenseman haven't been developed.

How many first line players have been drafted and developed since DL took over?

How many second line players?

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 05:14 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post
Hey no one ever said bottom line players, goaltenders and defenseman haven't been developed.

How many first line players have been drafted and developed since DL took over?

How many second line players?
Developed? well, there is Kopitar and Brown...

Old
05-27-2011, 05:56 PM
SMoneyMonkey

I'd be throughly worried if somebody couldn't develop Kopitar or Doughty. That would be a level of incompetence so great that I would consider it a sign of the Apocalypse.

As for Martinez and Clifford, they were developed well but, that was easy. Martinez was a bottom pairing guy, Clifford was a 3rd/4th line guy.

I disagree with Murray's system. If we drafted Crosby and Lemieux last year, they would have played in the AHL or on the 3rd/4th line. And they'd stay there forever. Murray needs to give top level prospects a top level chance.

As for the top level prospects, Brown was 23 when Murray arrived (or 22). And who did Kopitar need to beat out to get top line minutes?

Old
05-27-2011, 06:20 PM
yankeeking

next season will be interesting to see how b. schenn is handled, if he gets fourth line minutes and can't succeed what then ,minors and the inevitable bust worries or do we slot him between two vets and give him 40 or so games to blend in on the second line and if we are so-so team wise in the eighth spot does the fan base turn on him...........

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Fangio

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
next season will be interesting to see how b. schenn is handled, if he gets fourth line minutes and can't succeed what then ,minors and the inevitable bust worries or do we slot him between two vets and give him 40 or so games to blend in on the second line and if we are so-so team wise in the eighth spot does the fan base turn on him...........
He'll end up in Toronto and become a star. The script is already written!

Fangio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:28 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Developed? well, there is Kopitar and Brown...
????? both were not drafted by DL and with the exception of Kopitar's Defense TM has not really developed them.....

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:29 PM
yankeeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash View Post
He'll end up in Toronto and become a star. The script is already written!
damn I hate knowing the end of the story ahead of time

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:33 PM
SMoneyMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
He'll get fourth line minutes for a dozen games, then he'll be sent down to the AHL because he wasn't scoring at a first line pace.

Old
05-27-2011, 06:43 PM
JT Dutch*
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article
So how did he get from St. John’s — where not even the Canadian major junior leagues wanted the 114-pound high schooler — to being a 6-2, 200-pound 25-year-old playoff hero? His answer: Confidence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy Purcell
I’m a player that needs confidence and builds off that ... I just couldn’t find my role with the coach. I’d play some games. I’d play well, then I wouldn’t play the next game. I couldn’t find that consistency, and I couldn’t earn his trust."
... Interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Dutch View Post
While he was here, I'm almost positive that he was thinking "I better not make a mistake, otherwise I might not get another shift tonight and I might not play the next several games", so consequently his offense was non-existent because he was unwilling to try something creative. If I were the Kings' GM, I would think it's necessary to consider that. I'm sure Lombardi watches the games, or I hope he does. And if he had, he would have known that the problem with Purcell's offense wasn't a lack of effort, it was a lack of confidence.
... Oh, what? Were we talking about something here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by londonking View Post
90+ games and 8 freaking goals... nuff said. Had the talent but lacked the drive.
... You are aware that 91 games is a little over a season's worth of games, right? So, if a guy struggles offensively in his rookie season while playing third to fourth line minutes at a new position, it's just time to say "enough! he sucks, let's move on"? That's a terrible way to deal with young talent. Not every player develops the same way, nor does every player immediately tear up the league in his first 80-90 games ... do they?

JT Dutch* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 06:56 PM
Duc620

T. Purcell gets to play with three or four of the best offensive talents in the East in a team system that reduces his defensive responsibilities.

We didn't have that development environment available for him.

Duc620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:12 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutty Sarkn3ss View Post
How many of these are responsible for agressive and fast offensive game full of creativity and winning attitude ??

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:16 PM
Kurrilino
Go Stoll Go

Send a message via MSN to Kurrilino
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInjury View Post
When Teddy was here he wasn't showing signs that he was being underutilized, like Richardson or Lewis sometimes have. He just wasn't cutting it. What he would have done here had he been given more time is the question that we will never have an answer to. Maybe it was the coach, maybe it was style, maybe it was chemistry with linemates, maybe he's just trying harder now. Sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.

The only thing that is clear is that the trade did not work out for us. Still, if you look at our depth chart at right wing, I don't see his loss creating a hole.
Are you serious ????????
I was yelling every game at Murray to put Purcell on the ice.....

I can't believe that i'm the only one here who saw the talent of Boyle, Moulson Purcell etc...
Isn't there soemone in the scouting staff who could stop Murray and Lombardi doing something stupid ??

Kurrilino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 08:23 PM
Muzzinga
Regehr GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
????? both were not drafted by DL and with the exception of Kopitar's Defense TM has not really developed them.....
to say that TM hasn't developed Kopitar into a star is just blind hate. TM has turned him into 1 of the top forwards in the game by teaching him how to play both sides of the puck in all situations. He wouldnt have learnt that from a Crawford

Muzzinga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 09:49 PM
bobafettish*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1tch View Post
to say that TM hasn't developed Kopitar into a star is just blind hate. TM has turned him into 1 of the top forwards in the game by teaching him how to play both sides of the puck in all situations. He wouldnt have learnt that from a Crawford
like i said..... TM did teach him how to be better two way player but Anze would have been a star regardless . He scored 61 and 77 under Crawford.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Fishhead

Good for Purcell, he's getting some recognition for his decent play this year.

That said, until he does it again this is nothing more than an anomaly. I think a lot of people are forgetting how lackluster he played here. He was nearing 25 on the Kings and never showed or did anything that would indicate he was going to be anything more than a career NHL'er. He didn't skate particularly hard or give outstanding effort, and he certainly didn't give the coaches any reason to put him on the ice. I don't know how someone would actually have wanted him on the ice when he played here. He was lost and uninspired most of the time. I certainly thought there were better options. When he spent the start of the season with Kopitar and Brown, he was completely invisible.

He got a wake-up call and hooked on with a good team that fits his style of play perfectly, and it's worked out great for him. Stuff like this doesn't bother me at all because he wasn't going to put up those numbers in the west, and certainly not in a defensive system.

Fishhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Are you serious ????????
I was yelling every game at Murray to put Purcell on the ice.....

I can't believe that i'm the only one here who saw the talent of Boyle, Moulson Purcell etc...
Isn't there soemone in the scouting staff who could stop Murray and Lombardi doing something stupid ??
sorry Kurri, gonna need some proof here. NOBODY here was championing any of those 3 guys publicly. This is 100% 20/20 hindsight.

Old
05-27-2011, 10:40 PM
Sydor25
LA Kings

Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
sorry Kurri, gonna need some proof here. NOBODY here was championing any of those 3 guys publicly. This is 100% 20/20 hindsight.
I don't know about the others, but JT Dutch was against the trade of Purcell when it happened and was 100% correct in his analysis.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2011, 11:28 PM
HeadInjury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurrilino View Post
Are you serious ????????
I read the question first and wondered why anyone would think that. Then I saw who posted it. Suddenly it made sense.

HeadInjury is offline   Reply With Quote