HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps sign C Mattias Sjogren

Old
06-01-2011, 02:28 AM
Hockeyfrilla

vCash: 500
Caps sign C Mattias Sjogren

According to swedish newspaper Aftonbladet, caps is set to sign 23 year old Mattias Sjögren

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportblade...cle13112335.ab

Hockeyfrilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:37 AM
KCrushers

Mattias Sjögren that played with Färjestads BK last season has signed a maximum entry level contract with Caps today.

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...r-sjogren-valt [The guy on the picture is not Sjögren though )
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4040

KCrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:57 AM
XO
Au Revoir Moyes

vCash: 50
good signing!

XO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:47 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

vCash: 520
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrushers View Post
Mattias Sjögren that played with Färjestads BK last season has signed a maximum entry level contract with Caps today.

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...r-sjogren-valt [The guy on the picture is not Sjögren though )
23yo with some size. Is this a guy that can push for a spot next season?

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:49 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCrushers View Post

Good signing. Should be able to step right in if the World Championships are any indication. May also put Fehr in play in GMGM's efforts to acquire a big 2C.

EDIT: A Swedish HFB poster's scouting report just before the WCs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerupmurray View Post
Some other guys from SEL that might attract some interest is:

Mattias Sjögren might be a bit interesting. Undrafted fairly young center that has developed well. If he ever makes it to the NHL he would be as a defensive center. He has looked great for the national team and seems to thrive in tight games. If he get the chance to play for Sweden in the wc, he could have a decent chance of being signed.

And another post, but from 2006 (was Sjogren's first year of draft eligibility)...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoran Manojlovic View Post
Mattias Sjögren This is on of my favorite player avaliable for the draft. He has all the tools to be an impact player in the NHL. He´s got size, grit, speed, skill and hockey sense. He would have been the perfect home run pick, but instead he went undrafted. We´ll see down the road if I was a bit blinded by him or if he really is a player...

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 06-01-2011 at 11:53 AM.
JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:08 AM
Marshall
Too right, man.

Hmmm. I'll check some old Red Lines when I get home to see if there are any write-ups of him.

Last edited by Marshall: 06-01-2011 at 06:14 AM.
Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:16 AM
txpd

well...this isnt going to go over well.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:39 AM
I Am The Mole
DERPINGTON DERPITALS

I'm curious to see if this is a one or two way deal. If he's being paid max rookie salary is it safe to say the intention is to have him crack opening night?

I Am The Mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:41 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

1.8 million? If he's a 2nd line player that'd be great, but I no nothing of him.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:44 AM
ColincampbellOscopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am The Mole View Post
I'm curious to see if this is a one or two way deal. If he's being paid max rookie salary is it safe to say the intention is to have him crack opening night?
Japers' rink has 1.8 million over 2 years, so a 900K hit I assume.

EDIT: I assume one way deal. I don't know how undrafted players work with waivers, but I doubt he's spending time in Hershey to find out what his minor league salary would be.

ColincampbellOscopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:44 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Well, this should go over well. George going out and getting a big body that can actually get in on the defensemen.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:44 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

I don't see how he signs with the Caps (assuming reports of interest from 10+ teams are true) without some assurances that he can earn an NHL spot. Will be interesting to see if he's worth it. Fingers crossed he's not Brunnstrom 2.0.

brs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:13 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Who?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:46 AM
HTFN

I like what I'm reading. Also like that he seemed to step his game up in the playoffs in Sweden.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:57 AM
Langway
Floatvechkin

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
I don't see how he signs with the Caps (assuming reports of interest from 10+ teams are true) without some assurances that he can earn an NHL spot. Will be interesting to see if he's worth it. Fingers crossed he's not Brunnstrom 2.0.
Definitely, though he may have an out-clause to return to the SEL if he doesn't make it. Given that he's typically a center I'd put him in the running for 3C/4C, one of the 4W spots or maybe 3RW with Fehr's availability early on in doubt. He did play wing in the WC it looks like. Any of those forward spots that are at least slated to be up for grabs at the moment (except 2LW). He did kill penalties in the SEL but I'm not sure how well. I'll check out some video in the next few days.

Camp depth/competition and seemingly fairly versatile. Sounds a lot like what they were hoping to get in Gustafsson.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:59 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

Digging the BIO in English Link:

Quote:
A big and strong forward. Sjögren likes to play physical and has good timing in his hits. He is also a very creative player with fine technical skills. A decent scorer and playmaker.
Well, I think we can assume this is our big signing of the summer.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:08 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Digging the BIO in English Link:

Well, I think we can assume this is our big signing of the summer.
It's a good start. If our "big" signing is a projected 3rd/4th line guy who "might" make the team out of training camp and is making a barely-noticeable salary, we're all in store for a long, boring summer.

Just as long as they don't do what the Redskins do and go sign big names to overinflated contracts and then find out that they can't play.

Personally, I have a feeling that our "big" signing might be a re-signing.

All that said, I'm pretty excited to see this kid on the ice. Never thought I'd look forward to a pre-season game.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:12 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

With Laich slated to be drawing interest around the league, I am wondering if Sjögren cant eek out a spot on our 2nd line. While we lack tenacity in our bottom 6, we lack it even more in our top 6. We need a shakeup. Doesnt Pitt manage to have grit in their top 6?

I know he is not projected to be a big scorer, but to play with MJ and Semin, does he have to be a scorer too? Hell no, they just need a big body to do some dirty work, and be able to hang defensively. That's it. He should bond with MJ. And can play C, just like Laich.

Sure, he is probably more likely to spell Fehr. But I tend to think Fehr should be retained since Knuble and Bruce will not be here forever. I think its obvious George likes Fehr, and he tends to hold onto his guys. Laich is just going to draw too much attention to keep here assuming the McPhee iron jaw strong arm closed room negotiations hometown discount isnt in play.

Thanks Langway for giving this its own thread.

Old
06-01-2011, 09:14 AM
third man in

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Who?
this guy

edit sorry rh didn't see your post somehow. Agree with you, get some players that aren't easy to play against. Guys that can wear out the opposition in a PO series.

Last edited by third man in: 06-01-2011 at 10:10 AM.
third man in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:57 AM
KCrushers

Realisticly Sjögren is a thirdline winger/center with a huge offensive upsite. I can see a line with Chimera-Gordon and him for example?

Think of him as a stronger, bigger and more physical and somewhat less technical than MoJo. I don't think you will be disappointed.

It's a two way deal btw.

KCrushers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
Roccoman

so..... how exactly do you pronounce his last night?

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:25 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Well, this should go over well. George going out and getting a big body that can actually get in on the defensemen.

If he plays like that all the time from the video it would be entertaining. Looking forward to more info on this player.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Swedish is the new Russian.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:30 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
With Laich slated to be drawing interest around the league, I am wondering if Sjögren cant eek out a spot on our 2nd line. While we lack tenacity in our bottom 6, we lack it even more in our top 6. We need a shakeup. Doesnt Pitt manage to have grit in their top 6?

I know he is not projected to be a big scorer, but to play with MJ and Semin, does he have to be a scorer too? Hell no, they just need a big body to do some dirty work, and be able to hang defensively. That's it. He should bond with MJ. And can play C, just like Laich.

Sure, he is probably more likely to spell Fehr. But I tend to think Fehr should be retained since Knuble and Bruce will not be here forever. I think its obvious George likes Fehr, and he tends to hold onto his guys. Laich is just going to draw too much attention to keep here assuming the McPhee iron jaw strong arm closed room negotiations hometown discount isnt in play.

Thanks Langway for giving this its own thread.
I'm a Fehr fan, but I am guessing GMGM is too, or doesn't want to look like Fehr was a bust for him as a number one pick. Just wish Fehr could get over those injuries and put together a full season. I'm still hoping he breaks out.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 10:34 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Swedish is the new Russian.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote