HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Caps sign C Mattias Sjogren

Old
06-01-2011, 04:50 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Acshually I play for the Caps so I would know.
Well you're one of the few, obviously.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:54 PM
EroCaps

McPhee wants to be Ken Holland SO HARD.

It's a shame he can't put together the culture that made Detroit and only sees the roster management.

EroCaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:56 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Very few here have any clue as to Laich's (or anyone else's) leadership abilities.
Not sure I agree with this statement. A LOT of leadership for players/coaches/management is in the public eye and not behind closed doors. Their actions and words are very, very public. And when **** hits the fan, the way they react tells a lot.

Personally I've never really thought on Laich in the light as the previous poster... but I find myself kind of agreeing with it to the point of at least understanding how someone could feel that way.

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:23 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by EroCaps View Post
McPhee wants to be Ken Holland SO HARD.

It's a shame he can't put together the culture that made Detroit and only sees the roster management.
you do realize that that detroit culture took a long time to cultivate. you also realize that holland became gm of the defending cup champion red wings. he didnt create them.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSHS View Post
He said borderline... no need for you to respond.
Actually I should have been politically correct and said "Ultra-Nationalist." Anyway this guy is only a 72 in NHL 11. Talk about "do not want."

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 06-01-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
sk84fun_dc

Hey all, long time no chat

For those not clear, this is a standard ELC for a player his age (23yo given Nov '87 bdate). 2 years/2 way. Could be an out clause, could be promises, but it is a 2-way contract.

sk84fun_dc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:50 PM
Robert Theodorson

The Cup is as good as ours next year

His 20 point campaigns will surely turn into 60-80 in the NHL with leadership, bone crushing hits, a stellar two way game.

Love you McPhee!

haha I'll wait until the end of the offseason until I'm serious

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:53 PM
txpd

someone asked about circles and what he's doing. he broke his neck last season. you may have missed that. from the reports it was non-displaced and he recovered fully, but i dont think he has played any more hockey.

Old
06-01-2011, 07:57 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Kid seemed a little slow with puck on his stick. Dump and chaser I forsee unless he's very good at stick handling to get d out of position enough and can protect puck at speed.

Old
06-01-2011, 08:22 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
someone asked about circles and what he's doing. he broke his neck last season. you may have missed that. from the reports it was non-displaced and he recovered fully, but i dont think he has played any more hockey.
That's less of an injury history than Poti. Why hasn't he been re-signed?

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
That's less of an injury history than Poti. Why hasn't he been re-signed?
brutal...maybe life would be easier on you guys if it were the caps moving to winni

Old
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
NBTW great work hitting us up with his number and the times. I am usually lost without the number on the ad laced foreign uni's and center ice cam.

He has size so you gotta know he is going to be a grinder. Otherwise someone would have snatched him up long ago. the smaller rink may help his game. He seemed to know where the bakery is.

The thing I want to know, come playoff time, will he be difficult to play against. Its simple things, will he whack at pucks in the goalies pads. will he try and jab the puck when in the goalies skates? Is he fearless on the screen? Can he handle his own in 1 on 1 battles in front of the net?

Something lacking from Laich and pretty much all others this past few playoff choke jobs.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 06-01-2011 at 08:48 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:14 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Kid seemed a little slow with puck on his stick. Dump and chaser I forsee unless he's very good at stick handling to get d out of position enough and can protect puck at speed.
Very early impression is that he looks like more of a natural fit on the wing. Not much finish but thinks the game pretty well offensively, decent hands to compliment his vision/playmaking, forechecks pretty well and goes to the net. Kills penalties but didn't seem like a real heady defensive player. He'll need to bring the physical play to make the club and be a regular IMO, though Fehr's uncertain recovery might at least give him an early opportunity.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 09:18 PM
Minnich10
Rookie User

dont know what i think about this. hopefully this is a plus.

Minnich10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Minimal risk, potentially solid reward move. Nice dumpster diving, George.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Actually I should have been politically correct and said "Ultra-Nationalist." Anyway this guy is only a 72 in NHL 11. Talk about "do not want."
Not sure if serious.

Mystlyfe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 02:51 PM
Langway
Intangibles

- bmcnally14: Talked w/ new #Caps F Mattias Sjogren. Won't participate in rookie camp. Knows MJ90 b/c he played with his older brother, Martin Johansson.
- SWhyno: Just spoke with newest #Caps forward Mattias Sjogren - said decision was down to #Caps and Canadiens. He chose Washington.
- kcarrera: Mattias Sjogren on where he fits with #Caps: "They’re looking for a 3rd or 4th line center and my goal is to take one of those spots."

He looked better in the WC at center taking some key D zone draws on the PK but was moved around a lot. If he is so set on making it in the NHL then perhaps he would be open to playing in Hershey, at least for a bit so as to adjust further to the system and smaller rink. ("He hasn’t yet talked to the team about playing in Hershey of the AHL if he doesn’t make the team out of training camp.") Or he could start on the wing.

It's hard to see him slotting all that cleanly into Boyd Gordon's role--maybe in time--and if Cody Eakin is physically ready for the jump then I like his skating and defensive instincts a bit better as far as 3C goes. Of course, if they bring in a Marty Reasoner type veteran 3C then a Boyd Gordon type 4C becomes a lot less necessary. Competition is good...makes camp interesting and hopefully there are more spots up for grabs. That's the way depth spots should be filled.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Not sure if serious.
Extremely. All the guys from my clan are going to laugh at me when I use the Caps. Like "hey dude hows that 3rd line Center working out looser!" Everyone knows the ratings in NHL 11 are extremely accurate and constantly updated.

Serious indeed.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:26 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
It's hard to see him slotting all that cleanly into Boyd Gordon's role--maybe in time--and if Cody Eakin is physically ready for the jump then I like his skating and defensive instincts a bit better as far as 3C goes. Of course, if they bring in a Marty Reasoner type veteran 3C then a Boyd Gordon type 4C becomes a lot less necessary. Competition is good...makes camp interesting and hopefully there are more spots up for grabs. That's the way depth spots should be filled.
Will the Caps bring back Gordon? If the answer is no, then this guy slots right in.
Do the Caps want Eakin to start in the AHL regardless? Possible. This guy makes that easier.
Is Laich coming back? If the answer there is no, then this guy can fill a slot of a player moving up into that role.

If the Caps let one of Gordon or Bradley walk, the Caps will need to add in at the margin anyway. I dont think this is a big deal either way. I still think this is insurance.

Old
06-02-2011, 06:10 PM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Not sure if gmgm's plan would be to not have a rh centerman. IMHO there's a very good chance gordon returns, as he should

Old
06-02-2011, 06:23 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Not sure if gmgm's plan would be to not have a rh centerman. IMHO there's a very good chance gordon returns, as he should
His plan is worth about a 1st round exit or a 2nd round embarassment right now so it doesn't really matter either way. I think they'll keep Gordon just because he seems like he could be a potential lifer on this team.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:36 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

We are looking for a center, surprise surprise. I think that helps shed some light on where to project him. Not rocket science really, since its Hendricks or Beagle otherwise. We are getting thin at forward.

Assuming we dont convert Brooks to center full time, which we have shown no inkling to do.

I think he slots right in with Gordon here TXPD. If we dont reink Gordon, then we need yet another C. Maybe Beagle but I have him pegged to take over Bradley's role and be our 5th C depth wise. George may be playing hardball with Bradley to get a discount but I am surprised he is not inked if we want him back.

Arnott couldnt hold up and couldnt save the season. He should be offered a job as an assistant.

Old
06-02-2011, 07:02 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think he slots right in with Gordon here TXPD. If we dont reink Gordon, then we need yet another C. Maybe Beagle but I have him pegged to take over Bradley's role and be our 5th C depth wise. George may be playing hardball with Bradley to get a discount but I am surprised he is not inked if we want him back..

What about Sjogren says punching bag, momentum shifter to you?

Old
06-02-2011, 07:50 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post
His plan is worth about a 1st round exit or a 2nd round embarassment right now so it doesn't really matter either way. I think they'll keep Gordon just because he seems like he could be a potential lifer on this team.
Is it your goal to be a troll in every single one of your posts?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:57 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
What about Sjogren says punching bag, momentum shifter to you?
What are you talking about?

It is becoming obvious that George likes swedish centers. I think because they are strong defensively, taught early. Which fits what Bruce requires. Which Nylander refused to do.

Sjogren says swedish center with size. Dont over analyze it.

Old
06-03-2011, 02:47 PM
Dirtbag59

Sjogren's future with Caps
12:25
PM ET
Washington Capitals
TopEmailComments

Signed to a two-year deal worth $1.8 million with the Washington Capitals, forward Mattias Sjogren feels he has a legitimate chance at earning a roster spot right out of training camp.

"They're looking for a third- or fourth-line center, and my goal is to take one of those spots," said Sjogren, as reported by the Washington Post. I'm a little bit more defensive and, I think, a hard worker."

You've got to like the young man's confidence. And it's justified.

Having just wrapped up a strong season with Farjestad of the Swedish Elite League, the 23-year-old was pursued by several NHL teams. Plus, the Capitals wouldn't have signed Sjogren to such a contract if they didn't think he would skate with the big boys in 2011-12.

- Victoria Matiash