HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign C Mattias Sjogren

Old
06-05-2011, 03:33 PM
Bananas

vCash: 500
If we snatch up a couple more young European players with no NHL experience and keep the system we really started to thrive in this year, I really like our chances next year.

Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Dirtbag59

Interview with Sjogren's Syndrome. http://www.japersrink.com/2011/6/2/2...-believe-in-me

"They have showed an interest in me for a long time and now they gave me a good offer. I got a good feeling when I talked to the club and that’s where I want to play," says Mattias.

He arrived in Sweden yesterday after a trip to North America and this morning he sent off a signed contract to the club.

"They really believe in me. If they didn’t I wouldn’t have signed with them. But it's totally up to me to make something out of the opportunity they have given me," says Sjöberg.

The former Rögle player and another Washington player, Marcus Johansson have something in common: they both started their careers playing for the Landskrona-based club, Lejonet.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
Dirtbag59

One thing I would be interested to see is if he was in the draft this year where would he go.

Old
06-06-2011, 09:16 PM
Jasper17

I would be very surprised if this kid isn't on the caps roster opening night. I think they will give him every opportunity to take the 3rd or 4th line center role.

He is a c who can also play rw so IMO he may be perfect. Give him 10-12 min a night t center and hf he plays well give him some extra minutes at wing.

I think this is a good move and I have high hopes for him. I think he will be a good two way 3rd line center in the NHL.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 12:40 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

why not? more offensive upside and better contract terms than dirty dave. tell him to crack 55% in the dot and it's all found money, i guess.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 01:28 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post
If we snatch up a couple more young European players with no NHL experience and keep the system we really started to thrive in this year, I really like our chances next year.
Come on now positive vipes!!

06-12-2011, 01:33 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Calle Jo on Sjojen via Corey M.

Quote:
Chatted w/former #Caps d-man Calle Johansson about a different story, but he likes the Mattias Sjogren signing. "A workhorse - very tough."

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:51 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Does Calle still do scouting in Sweden for the Caps?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:58 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Does Calle still do scouting in Sweden for the Caps?
I do not believe so based on my recollection so take that for what its worth, heh.

usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Not officially for sure. I think he's just a commentator.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:57 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas View Post

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:20 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedeSpeedBackstrom View Post

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:06 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Calle calls him very tough. Not just tough. Its not much, but its something.

Yeah thats how desperate it is. We need guys that are tough to play against.

I welcome Calle's opines paid or not. Can a svensk poster that has seen Sjogren play, can you confirm what Calle said, or just tell us what you remember about his play style.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:10 PM
txpd

I am guessing that Calle means tough in the traditional way and not in hockey code.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:26 AM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
I am guessing that Calle means tough in the traditional way and not in hockey code.
Yeah. He did have that run at the WC but he's not a vicious player or anything. He's just thick and is built to play the game hard. He has more edge in his game than Steckel or Gordon but I wouldn't quite compare him to, say, Pahlsson. Not unless his game matures quite a bit. He does seem better suited for the smaller rink, though.

Apparently he will be at development camp after all.

Last edited by Langway: 06-13-2011 at 08:33 AM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:14 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quite frankly, I am open to bringing in any player that can be considered tough by any stretch of the imagination.

I knew Calle wasn't calling him a goon. Tough is one of those vague words that sometimes needs to be elaborated on. Thick, durable, edge, hits, mean, high tolerace for pain, "tough guy" aka fighter, tough can come in all flavors.

Who is considered tough on our team? Whatever definition you want.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:32 AM
txpd

i think calle would have called nylander tough. he was a fitness freak. he could concentrate and play thru incredible levels of pain. he was more than willing to take a big hit to make a play.

so...my read on calle's statement is "workhorse"=he is strong and durable and willing to do what it takes to get the job done(corners and front of the net). "tough"= tough as nails, you can't hurt him, you can't deter him.
Think Ulf Dahlen.

Last edited by txpd: 06-13-2011 at 12:09 PM.
Old
06-13-2011, 11:54 AM
icebluuu

I saw him live twice against my own team in the swedish playoffs. As far as I can recollect, he was great on the boards, winning most pucks against our d, which he often turned into scoring chances. He won a lot of faceoffs and did good pk work. All-in-all, a good center man.

icebluuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:04 PM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icebluuu View Post
I saw him live twice against my own team in the swedish playoffs. As far as I can recollect, he was great on the boards, winning most pucks against our d, which he often turned into scoring chances. He won a lot of faceoffs and did good pk work. All-in-all, a good center man.
If he's good on the boards in the NHL he'll be a welcome addition to this team.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
i think calle would have called nylander tough. he was a fitness freak. he could concentrate and play thru incredible levels of pain. he was more than willing to take a big hit to make a play.

so...my read on calle's statement is "workhorse"=he is strong and durable and willing to do what it takes to get the job done(corners and front of the net). "tough"= tough as nails, you can't hurt him, you can't deter him.
Think Ulf Dahlen.
But he's European. Doesn't that discredit your post?

Old
06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
txpd

what?

Old
06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:52 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appreci8 View Post
Your either oblivious to who Laich is or your trolling. I can't tell.
I know who Laich is. He is a soon to be a 4mill 3rd line talent. Flash could put up Laich's number playing full time on the second line. And we would not be paying for C skills we don't need.

And what I mean by more of what we have and not what we need. A lot of our high end talent has always been the most talented player any were they played. So they could get by with little effort and still out come out on top. And is shows game to game.

What I feel we need is more guys that don't have as much high end skill. Guys that get buy on there hard work. GMGM need to fill the holes with hard working guys.

The biggest difference I see in Tampa and Boston. Is there 2nd level players complement there top players. They have high skilled player surrounded by hard working gritty players.

And the Caps have less skilled versions of there skilled players. They have been trying to run a 3rd scoring line for way to long.

Laich is a nice player. And can bring a lot to the team. But for the price the team would be better off with a less skilled but true power forward. And that could be found for less then laich is going to make.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Laich is a nice player. And can bring a lot to the team. But for the price the team would be better off with a less skilled but true power forward. And that could be found for less then laich is going to make.
And an example of this 'less skilled but true power forward' making 'less then laich is going to make' would be?

And you are going to get him away from his current team how exactly?

I know these are niggling details but they do matter...

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:04 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Quite frankly, I am open to bringing in any player that can be considered tough by any stretch of the imagination.

I knew Calle wasn't calling him a goon. Tough is one of those vague words that sometimes needs to be elaborated on. Thick, durable, edge, hits, mean, high tolerace for pain, "tough guy" aka fighter, tough can come in all flavors.

Who is considered tough on our team? Whatever definition you want.
Erskin, Hendriks, Chimera, Bradley, Hannan, Laich, OV, Arnott plus last year bust King. That looks like a decent amount of "tough guys" in one way or another... but yeah, i'm all for the tougher the better model.

Like what i hear about Mr. Sjogren.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote