HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Caps sign C Mattias Sjogren

Old
06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 2714
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladiator16 View Post
Erskin, Hendriks, Chimera, Bradley, Hannan, Laich, OV, Arnott plus last year bust King. That looks like a decent amount of "tough guys" in one way or another... but yeah, i'm all for the tougher the better model.

Like what i hear about Mr. Sjogren.
I dunno. More than the vague word "tough", i want to start looking for a buzzword that means no fun to play against. Able to get under someones skin. "Hates to lose" is a trait I want george to start looking at in his moves.

I take Hannan Laich and Arnott off the list IMO. They are middle of the roaders, medium temperment, never angry or upset. Bradley is a nice guy that challenges someone to a fight 7 times a year, but doesnt even look to fight in the playoffs. He does hit though. King, doesnt see the ice. Non starter.

Erskine Chimera Hendricks and Ovi remain.

Ovi has unlimited drive but doesnt get angry, thats not his game. Even so, he is near the top of our list. Hendricks dropped off the radar all together. Chimera for his speed and size could end careers nightly. You think he could be a top hitter in this league. I dont see it. He does get angry but very rarely.

It comes down to Erskine as our only player that ever seems angry. That gets under the opposition skin. Ask Ruslan.

So I count more like one tough guy on our roster. The others seem unemotional. Lets hope Sjogren has some passion for the game, and hates to lose. We need someone at every position like an Erskine. Especially forwards that whack the goalie, jab at the puck in his skates or under a gloved hand; repercussions be damned.

The fight starts up front. The attack. We are thin up front.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:24 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And an example of this 'less skilled but true power forward' making 'less then laich is going to make' would be?

And you are going to get him away from his current team how exactly?

I know these are niggling details but they do matter...
Horton would have been a smart acquisition. It wouldn't have cost more than Schultz/Fehr and some picks and it would have been a hedge against potential Knuble/Laich departures. Most importantly, it would allow Semin to play left wing on the second line with a net presence who can finish.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Langway
Flow➜Grow

vCash: 50
Watched another SEL playoff game yesterday and Sjogren's hands stood out the most in his game. He's a good passer and thinks the game well offensively for a checker. Not much finish but he even had some PP time (mostly in front of the net) and didn't seem out of his element.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:44 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Horton would have been a smart acquisition. It wouldn't have cost more than Schultz/Fehr and some picks and it would have been a hedge against potential Knuble/Laich departures. Most importantly, it would allow Semin to play left wing on the second line with a net presence who can finish.
Is that Schultz and Fehr or or Fehr? If and I would likely agree that those guys at the time plus the 26th overall were roughly equal in value to the guy who most say was the Bruins' best defenseman that playoffs in Wideman and the 19th overall.

So Schultz, Fehr, the pick that became Kuznetsov, and a 3rd this year for Horton and Campbell? Do the Panthers deal Horton to a team in their division though?

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:47 AM
Vladiator16*
R.I.P - Loko.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I dunno. More than the vague word "tough", i want to start looking for a buzzword that means no fun to play against. Able to get under someones skin. "Hates to lose" is a trait I want george to start looking at in his moves.

I take Hannan Laich and Arnott off the list IMO. They are middle of the roaders, medium temperment, never angry or upset. Bradley is a nice guy that challenges someone to a fight 7 times a year, but doesnt even look to fight in the playoffs. He does hit though. King, doesnt see the ice. Non starter.

Erskine Chimera Hendricks and Ovi remain.

Ovi has unlimited drive but doesnt get angry, thats not his game. Even so, he is near the top of our list. Hendricks dropped off the radar all together. Chimera for his speed and size could end careers nightly. You think he could be a top hitter in this league. I dont see it. He does get angry but very rarely.

It comes down to Erskine as our only player that ever seems angry. That gets under the opposition skin. Ask Ruslan.

So I count more like one tough guy on our roster. The others seem unemotional. Lets hope Sjogren has some passion for the game, and hates to lose. We need someone at every position like an Erskine. Especially forwards that whack the goalie, jab at the puck in his skates or under a gloved hand; repercussions be damned.

The fight starts up front. The attack. We are thin up front.
Not exactly how i see it, but i can see how you see it... hmm... What did i just say?

Which team has someone like Erskin at every position? And how realistic is it?

Vladiator16* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:24 AM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And an example of this 'less skilled but true power forward' making 'less then laich is going to make' would be?

And you are going to get him away from his current team how exactly?

I know these are niggling details but they do matter...
Off the top of my head I can pick three Hurricanes that would be a better fit. Erik Cole, Tuomo Ruutu and Chad Larose.

All three of them fit our needs better then Laich. All three of them would make the team hard to play against. Cole or Ruutu would put up the same in not better number on our second line. And Larose would come close for way less money.

And as for how to get a player like one of them. Its a little late for that. Now Laich is going to walk and we get nothing. He would have been a great chip to move the past two seasons when BB street hockey system inflated his numbers.

Guys like Laich and Semin are great to have. But they are just more skilled nice guys. And that not what this team needs.

Vancouver filled out there team with hard working hard to play against players this past season. To go along with all there high end talent. A look what it did for them.

Mr Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:40 AM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
Off the top of my head I can pick three Hurricanes that would be a better fit. Erik Cole, Tuomo Ruutu and Chad Larose.

All three of them fit our needs better then Laich. All three of them would make the team hard to play against. Cole or Ruutu would put up the same in not better number on our second line. And Larose would come close for way less money.

And as for how to get a player like one of them. Its a little late for that. Now Laich is going to walk and we get nothing. He would have been a great chip to move the past two seasons when BB street hockey system inflated his numbers.

Guys like Laich and Semin are great to have. But they are just more skilled nice guys. And that not what this team needs.

Vancouver filled out there team with hard working hard to play against players this past season. To go along with all there high end talent. A look what it did for them.
Good post and I agree with many of your arguments. Larose and Cole will both be UFAs on July 1 if they don't resign before then so I think it is reasonable that the Caps could add both, especially if Laich walks.

Old
06-15-2011, 11:44 AM
HSHS
Losing is a disease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
Watched another SEL playoff game yesterday and Sjogren's hands stood out the most in his game. He's a good passer and thinks the game well offensively for a checker. Not much finish but he even had some PP time (mostly in front of the net) and didn't seem out of his element.
That could be huge. A 3rd/4th line center with hands. But he has to play that 3rd/4th line role well. Not just a poor 2nd line center playing down.

thanks for info

HSHS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
usiel

vCash: 878
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Cool interview I must say. The guy seems like he has a pretty good personality.

http://www.japersrink.com/2011/6/21/...ystem-if-i-can

06-23-2011, 12:24 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
SR: But I have seen you after loses and you are usually pretty grumpy.

MS: There is nothing worse than losing. And if you know you didn’t play your best game, you can be pretty pissed off for awhile.
Love this guy already.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 12:29 PM
Robert Theodorson

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
We don't do big trades to make the team better in order to win a Stanley Cup. How long have you been a Caps fan? Doesn't really sound like you know what you're talking about.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 01:01 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Quote:
To show emotion and stand your ground is a good thing especially in front of the cage. Hockey is a battle. There is nothing worse than losing.
Music to my ears. When was the last time you saw a Cap upset at losing? On the ice. Pissed at the end of the game, pissed about getting cross checked in the back all night, and saying, enough is enough? You wont be so likely to try to abuse me next game. I can't remember the last time. Its nice to see a player say its good to show emotion. Our players (except Ovi) look emotionless to me. Does a single Cap even have a temper? Erskine is it.

He is a pass first guy. I expect him to be paired with Stone Hands and Fehr. Hopefully he and Fehr get into a groove.

So Marcus is Mackan heh. Good he already knows you dont want to be in the AHL for long.

Old
06-23-2011, 01:13 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Love this guy already.
Ok I am going to take a different tact.

He said he is taking a summer vacation and not training the whole time. He said money was an important part in coming the the NHL so he isn't all about the cup. He lumped the Olympics, World Championships and cup all in the same bucket so again he is not all about the cup.

Typical McPhee loser...

Old
06-23-2011, 01:51 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

User Name change request: Devils Advocate.

Old
06-23-2011, 02:25 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Music to my ears. When was the last time you saw a Cap upset at losing? On the ice. Pissed at the end of the game, pissed about getting cross checked in the back all night, and saying, enough is enough? You wont be so likely to try to abuse me next game. I can't remember the last time. Its nice to see a player say its good to show emotion. Our players (except Ovi) look emotionless to me. Does a single Cap even have a temper? Erskine is it.
Semin definitely has a lot of emotion and a temper, but he doesn't hit people when he gets angry usually. Just ends up slashing someone or getting frustrated.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:26 PM
txpd

Quote:
Music to my ears. When was the last time you saw a Cap upset at losing? On the ice. Pissed at the end of the game, pissed about getting cross checked in the back all night, and saying, enough is enough? You wont be so likely to try to abuse me next game. I can't remember the last time. Its nice to see a player say its good to show emotion. Our players (except Ovi) look emotionless to me. Does a single Cap even have a temper? Erskine is it..
semin is quick to show his emotions on the ice. its why he takes retaliations penalties with his stick and gets hammered for doing it here. i'd think you would remember that and stand up for the guy.

Myst: semin v boyle in the olympics was all sore loser stuff. forget that too? semin hits oprik all the time.
he hit upshall in the playoffs regular and hartnell. that was all anger.

green gets angry and can be brutal when he gets even.

hannan, "he slashed the goalie, i'm going to punch him"

do you miss olie's post game rages?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-23-2011, 02:38 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

It should tell you something that Semin appears to be our angriest player. The last guy we want getting into any sort of scrap. Green and Hannan and the rest show anger maybe once a year. I am looking for that once a game guy. Giving a damn is contagious.

But its more the bottom 6 on both ends of the blue that could use a little emotion that Sjogren describes as good.

What do you think about Sjogren's comment "To show emotion and stand your ground is a good thing, especially in front of the net" Tex? Bunk, BS, no emotion is the key to discipline and a cup? Just saying the right things to get the blood thirsty american fans on his side?

Old
06-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Raikkonen
In GMBT we trust

Could Sjogren become our utility player?

I mean if he is good on the boards and tough and plays center/wing and can defend...

Can he play with Semin as forecheker, puck retriever and passer? As a winger.

Semin-Backstrom-Sjogren.

It's a bit early but there shouldn't be any guys in Sweden's National Team who lack skills. If he is skilled enough then playing with Gordon isn't ideal for him.

The question is how strong he is on the dot.

Maybe McPhee got lucky? That could be big.

Raikkonen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-25-2011, 02:35 PM
Dirtbag59

Listen up maggots. This man has been a member of our team now for 24 days.

Include him in all future lineup projections unless noted otherwise. His name is Mattias Sjogren. That is all.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote