HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is it time to play hardball with Palffy?

Closed Thread

Old
07-15-2004, 05:13 PM
northernKing

vCash: 500
Is it time to play hardball with Palffy?

I was just wondering what other LA fans thought. IMO the offer LA made Palffy was very fair. He has had over two weeks to find a better deal or another team and has yet to do so. I think DT should give him a take it or leave it offer and pull the 3yr $19.5M deal off the table.

This would improve LA's chances of landing one of the other UFA.
If LA could get a guy like Demitra at $4-5M i would prefer signing him now. Over the last 4 seasons Demitra and Palffy have scored the same number of points with Palffy playing about 20 less games. Some will point out Demitra's weaknesses, but lets not forget how bad Palffy was on the defensive end when he first showed up. AM has gotten some very solid hockey out of veterans and IMO would really help Demitra's game.

Also AM had called out G.Murray before the season, only to see him get traded to Boston and score 40 goals. In his 7 or so games with LA before the trade, Murray was scoring well. Even Deadmarsh set career highs in LA.

Bottomline is that I would really like LA to sign one of the remaining UFA, if not Palffy, or just have DT come out and say the team is going to go with the youngsters. There is no use of them driving up prices by just kicking tires and making it look like they are willing to spend.

Old
07-15-2004, 05:18 PM
Mxpunk

At first, I really wanted Demitra over Palffy because the Kings needed a center. Now, with Conroy, I am leaning more towards resigning Palffy. I think that combination would greatly benefit the Kings. Palffy's defense has improved over the years, and Conroy can make up for any shortcomings....I really hope Palffy will accept an offer from the Kings after realizing few, if any, teams will pay him what he's asking with the CBA deadline...

Of course, I would also love to have Glen Murray return....

Old
07-15-2004, 05:35 PM
Matt13

You cant play hardball if you have no leverage.

Old
07-15-2004, 05:56 PM
northernKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbie Verstinks
You cant play hardball if you have no leverage.
Palffy and his agent must know what the market is willing to pay for his services. If he is only getting offers of around $5-6M then he may be forced to sign in LA for $6.5. However if he is getting offers of $7-8M then the point is useless. Either way LA gets a better read on what will happen and may actually be able to force Palffy to sign somewhere.
This is based on my opinion that LA will wait for Palffy to sign somewhere before inking their own UFA.

Old
07-15-2004, 06:16 PM
tomd

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK
Palffy and his agent must know what the market is willing to pay for his services. If he is only getting offers of around $5-6M then he may be forced to sign in LA for $6.5. However if he is getting offers of $7-8M then the point is useless. Either way LA gets a better read on what will happen and may actually be able to force Palffy to sign somewhere.
This is based on my opinion that LA will wait for Palffy to sign somewhere before inking their own UFA.
my thoughts...
1. if Palffy was getting ANY offer for $7-8 million, he'd be gone already.
2. if I were the kings, the $6.5 million offer would no longer be valid. Palffy took a chance and so far is a loser. until the CBA is resolved or someone makes a suprise signing for above $5 million, no player in the league is worth $6.5 million RIGHT NOW. if Palffy wants to come back, it'll have to be for $5 million or less.
3. I don't think the kings will be the first team to sign someone above what seems to be the magical $3.5 million mark. they are waiting to see how the CBA turns out and I don't blame them.
4. right now, the kings have ALL the leverage. the high priced UFA's have ZERO leverage right now because no one wants to sign anyone for more than $3.5 million.

Old
07-15-2004, 07:46 PM
maximil

The kings will pay Palffy as much as he's worth to them. That is the bottom line. Playing "hardball" with your franchise player doesn't exactly make other people want to sign with your team. Think about it.

Old
07-16-2004, 12:42 AM
jjl

You do have leverage as Plaffy has not gotten a better offer and if DT pulls his offer Plaffy will be looking at less than the King's offer. I agree DT should not and I hope he is not waiting on Palffy before making any more moves. If a deal is there take it and so be it as far as Ziggy goes.

Old
07-17-2004, 11:07 AM
jfont

Awards:
theres a thread in the trade board that says palffy might be close...the article is in slovak, however the poster says that there are 5 other teams competing for him and that he'll sign if he gets what he 'wants'...

so we'll probably know for sure in these next few days where he'll be playing next year.

07-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Skebo

Send a message via Yahoo to Skebo
It's true that no high priced free agnets have signed yet, but I really wonder what that exactly means. If Conroy is worth $3.15 million, what is a guy like Palffy worth? Right now, it doesn't seem like the expiring CBA has adjusted the entire salary structure. If cost certainty is the goal of the owners, the entire salary structure needs to be adjusted, not just the salaries of the top stars.

So, if Conroy is worth $3.15 million. Isn't Palffy worth at least $6.5 million?

Old
07-17-2004, 04:05 PM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by nK
This would improve LA's chances of landing one of the other UFA.
It also decreases their chance of signing Palffy himself and as far as I'm concerned I'd rather have Palffy on my team.

Quote:
If LA could get a guy like Demitra at $4-5M i would prefer signing him now. Over the last 4 seasons Demitra and Palffy have scored the same number of points with Palffy playing about 20 less games.
Only difference is Dimitra had all-star caliber help while over the last two seasons Palffy had Armstrong caliber help.
Considering the talent level, or lack of talent on the Kings I'd say Palffy is much more suited for this team. Dimitra can't in any way put this team on his shoulder like Palffy has. There isn't much arguement about that.
Quote:
Some will point out Demitra's weaknesses, but lets not forget how bad Palffy was on the defensive end when he first showed up. AM has gotten some very solid hockey out of veterans and IMO would really help Demitra's game.
Let's not forget Palffy himself was coming off 3 back to back 40 goal seasons before playing for Andy Murray so I don't think 70 point Demitra is gonna turn into 90 demitra in LA.

Quote:
Also AM had called out G.Murray before the season, only to see him get traded to Boston and score 40 goals. In his 7 or so games with LA before the trade, Murray was scoring well. Even Deadmarsh set career highs in LA.
That arguement can go both ways. Other guys such has Schneider and Jason Blake put up better numbers when they left LA.

Quote:
Bottomline is that I would really like LA to sign one of the remaining UFA, if not Palffy, or just have DT come out and say the team is going to go with the youngsters. There is no use of them driving up prices by just kicking tires and making it look like they are willing to spend.
Agree

Old
07-17-2004, 04:06 PM
Frolov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skebo

So, if Conroy is worth $3.15 million. Isn't Palffy worth at least $6.5 million?

That's where Palffys leverage comes in.

It's stupid to think Palffy is gonna sign for under $5 million.

Closed Thread