HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Colin Campbell Stepping Down

Old
06-01-2011, 12:11 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

vCash: 500
Colin Campbell Stepping Down

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367566

Colin Campbell is stepping down from head of discipline.

I know a lot of people hate the guy, but if you ask me, he has the hardest job in the NHL front office.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Afro Thunder*

What an awesome week for hockey fans.

Afro Thunder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

never liked him, great news for the league.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Mr_Squeaks
Poor Impulse Control

I second each of the previous 3 posts.

Mr_Squeaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:18 PM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

Quote:
Sources tell TSN that Brendan Shanahan will likely take over, but there could be somewhat of an overhaul of how supplemental discipline is handled.
cool

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:19 PM
Yokai

vCash: 966
Is he stepping down for next season or today? I guess he could be stepping down now so that people can't complain if Boston wins the cup on some sketchy non-suspension due to his attachment to the team.

Yokai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
Lenny the Lynx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=367566

Colin Campbell is stepping down from head of discipline.

I know a lot of people hate the guy, but if you ask me, he has the hardest job in the NHL front office.
Definitely agree that he has a hard job, but its time for a change. I'm really happy about this news.

Lenny the Lynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

The only thing that would make this week any better for hockey fans would be Bettman moving the Coyotes to Quebec City and immediately afterwards announcing his resignation.

Old
06-01-2011, 12:22 PM
DJB
Sens best prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
The only thing that would make this week any better for hockey fans would be Bettman moving the Coyotes to Quebec City and immediately afterwards announcing his resignation.
This.

Can't stand that little weasel....

DJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:23 PM
H2O

Good riddance.

H2O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:24 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Sweet, now I can scrutinize Shanny on every decision he makes, and rip him to shreds to Wings fans, good luck in the NHL's toughest position Shanny.

edit: Its hard to hate Bettman when he stood up for us, like all other franchises when it comes to relocation. Buffalo, Edmonton, Nashville, Pittsburgh, etc.

I think most people dislike Bettman not because of his actions, but because of his personality in which he comes off as smarmy and arrogant.

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 12:33 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Definitely agree that he has a hard job, but its time for a change. I'm really happy about this news.
Oh I definitely agree.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:01 PM
Zorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Sweet, now I can scrutinize Shanny on every decision he makes, and rip him to shreds to Wings fans, good luck in the NHL's toughest position Shanny.

edit: Its hard to hate Bettman when he stood up for us, like all other franchises when it comes to relocation. Buffalo, Edmonton, Nashville, Pittsburgh, etc.

I think most people dislike Bettman not because of his actions, but because of his personality in which he comes off as smarmy and arrogant.

Amen to that. I will always be thankful to Bettman for working so hard to keep the Senators in town. I like that he fights to the bitter end to avoid relocating a team.

Sure he comes off as arrogant, but he's actually really good at his job. Yes he presided over teams going to non-hockey markets and some of those markets failed or are failing, but, if there is an owner willing to take the risk, why not try to expand your market?

You can't argue against the fact that the league is making more money than it ever has, and is more popular than ever. Also, the NHL is way ahead of other major sports leagues in terms of online content and access.

The lockout was a *****, but he did his job perfectly. He got the union to cave and accept a salary cap, and he also got the union to accept a huge roll-back in salaries. He represents the owners, and they came out like bandits, and the players still aren't complaining because the average salary has skyrocketed to $2.4M...even though they technically lost out with the current CBA.

Zorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:09 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Quote:
Thanks for the support!

Old
06-01-2011, 01:11 PM
ybsad

IMO, the captains of the other 28 teams should each vote on how many games the individual should get. You drop the lowest 10 votes and the highest 10 votes and take the average of the remaining 8.

ybsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:22 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Quote:

I agree with all of this (doubly so on the can't hate Bettman as my #2 is the Oilers), however I think there are still a lot of people who hate him because they think he has all the power and is anti-Canadian. I agree that he does come across as smarmy and arrogant.

As for Campbell, he didn't get enough respect. I think it's hard to say he's inconsistent in his rulings when most people can accurately predict the length of a suspension before the league announced it. I don't think things will change too much under Shanny.

CanadianHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:28 PM
TSA0402

You're right in that he has a very difficult job in which at least half of the hockey fanbases view his decision as the wrong one.

To be honest I would be a bit saddened if Brendan Shanahan is the newly appointed. The job will most likely lead to a lack of respect for a great hockey player.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:31 PM
KarlSen

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperStumper View Post
Doing a job like that since 1998 is WAY to long for anyone.

KarlSen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:33 PM
nanuuq
HFBoards Sponsor

About time.

Its also time for the NHL to totally revamp supplementary justice because a dictator does not work.

I would hope to see a 3 person panel, one from the NHL, one from the NHLPA and one from the NHL referees that would meet out justice.

Also please start providing actual guidelines on the supplementary discipline, rather than this hold your finger in the air type of punishments...

nanuuq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Marble

Good to see him step down, though I agree that it's a thankless position. I'm surprised it wasn't sooner, considering the emails that came out about Savard.

I think many people would agree on the 3-person panel replacing him, and now (after the end of the playoffs) would be a good time to give it a whirl.

Marble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 02:53 PM
ybsad

Should be the players. It's their careers on the line

ybsad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Quote:

My opnion of Bettman changed once I actually started listening to him, and he became a good guy in my books during the Olympics and all the talk of going to Sochi.
The man is effective and reasonable: what more do you want?!

Do Make Say Think is online now   Reply With Quote