HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Playing Hardball With Pick

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2004, 02:21 AM
KING

vCash: 500
Rangers Playing Hardball With Pick

http://nypost.com/sports/rangers/18028.htm

Old
07-16-2004, 02:36 AM
Balej20*

I thought he would be better off in school anyway... Now they are saying he is going to lose developement time if he goes back to school...weird.

Old
07-16-2004, 01:38 PM
BiLLY

They are basicly saying its six of one, half dozen of the other, as far as his development goes. If they DO beleive there will be a strike, its better having Blackburn get the lion's sahre at Hartford and Montoya the load at Michigan, rather than the two splitting duties with the Wolfpack.

Old
07-16-2004, 01:45 PM
94now

Blackburn might not be ready for the season timely. Did anyone hear anything about Danny lately?

Old
07-16-2004, 02:11 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
I thought he would be better off in school anyway... Now they are saying he is going to lose developement time if he goes back to school...weird.
well before it was simply michigan vs hartford, but after yesterday you now toss in the factor of working with allaire which makes hartford look like a more favorable option then it did 2 days ago

personally i hope he stays in school for 1 more year...he can still benefit from playing in college and WJC, plus there is no reason to rush him. we rushed blackburn and that hurt him...lets be patient with al

Old
07-16-2004, 03:40 PM
little a from da bx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
i have the post and am about to read it, but i will post first. theonly thing i have to say is if the kid feels he wants to finsih another year or 2 at college , good for him let him. he shouldnt be forced to come 1 or 2 years wont kill if he has all that potential as u all make him out to be and sather makes him out to be. we have blackie and lundqvist , so what in the hell is this @$$hole sather worried aboiut

Old
07-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Unknownbutfamous

Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Quote:
Originally Posted by little a from da bx
i have the post and am about to read it, but i will post first. theonly thing i have to say is if the kid feels he wants to finsih another year or 2 at college , good for him let him. he shouldnt be forced to come 1 or 2 years wont kill if he has all that potential as u all make him out to be and sather makes him out to be. we have blackie and lundqvist , so what in the hell is this @$$hole sather worried aboiut

Agreed, stay in College Monty.

Old
07-16-2004, 03:46 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by little a from da bx
you have the story completely backwards...sather does NOT want him to leave school. larry brooks is the one who wants him to leave school and brooks is knocking sather for not offering the kid the max

Old
07-16-2004, 04:09 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

brooks is a tool. he got francois and benoit allaire mixed up. anyways, i think it's that sather WANTS to sign montoya but DOESN'T want to give him cap. brooks' point is that if blackburn got cap, so should montoya. IMO he should stay one more year in school. there are other things he will learn from school that will help him on the ice. you'd be surprised at how much balancing studies and play will do for your mental game.

Old
07-16-2004, 05:14 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8
brooks is a tool. he got francois and benoit allaire mixed up. anyways, i think it's that sather WANTS to sign montoya but DOESN'T want to give him cap. brooks' point is that if blackburn got cap, so should montoya. IMO he should stay one more year in school. there are other things he will learn from school that will help him on the ice. you'd be surprised at how much balancing studies and play will do for your mental game.
from what i've heard sather does NOT want to sign him and decided it would be best for everyone if montoya stayed in school while blackburn has hartford to himself...if sather really wanted to get him sign he'd get the deal done, the difference between the offer they making and the max can't be enough $$ that the rangers would even blink. i highly doubt that if sather REALLY wanted to get him signed that he'd let him return to school over $200,000

Old
07-16-2004, 09:59 PM
free0717

I think Glen Sather is being very cautious in giving out contract offers due to the CBA situation. If he could sign Monty on the cheap, fine, he can go to Hartford and Develop under Allaire, if not, Monty could stay at Michigan and keep learning under Red Berenson.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR469
from what i've heard sather does NOT want to sign him and decided it would be best for everyone if montoya stayed in school while blackburn has hartford to himself...if sather really wanted to get him sign he'd get the deal done, the difference between the offer they making and the max can't be enough $$ that the rangers would even blink. i highly doubt that if sather REALLY wanted to get him signed that he'd let him return to school over $200,000
I wish I believed that. But, given who we're talking about, I am not suprised.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:12 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger
I wish I believed that. But, given who we're talking about, I am not suprised.
do you think the rangers should sign montoya? do you think the rangers should give every young player what ever the ask for?

i know sather shouldn't be the gm but he is and he isn't the first gm in the history of sports to not give a young player what he wants. something tells me if the rangers signed montoya you would say they shouldn't have. can they do anything right in your eyes?

Old
07-16-2004, 10:17 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

Quote:
brooks is a tool. he got francois and benoit allaire mixed up.
Where? He called him, Benoit Allaire.

Old
07-16-2004, 11:00 PM
JJ68NYR

I think they should sign him with bonuses that would get him to the contract that Blackburn got which is wat Montoya wants. He has to prove himself. I really want to see him in Hartford this yr or even up with the club because Allaire is supposed to be really good with young goaltenders and at this point we have 3.

Old
07-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

This kid doesn't want to stay in college and sather knows it. If sather is playing hardball it isn't the first time and its not going to be the last. When he was hired we all thought he would be the guy from edmonton who was cheap. If Sather took over the team on march 1st and made all the moves he has made since than people would think this guy was great.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:57 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The kid should stay in school for another year.Michigan has a chance to win a NCAA title.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:14 AM
Forechecker

Send a message via AIM to Forechecker
I think it's typicaly Brooks hyperbole that Sather is playing "hard ball". Maybe AM wants to come out, but Sather wants him to syay one more season at UM. So, Sather says "look, if you come out, I'm not paying top dollar. BUT, if you stay one more year, you'll have much more leverage next year."

Far fetched, I know, but, honestly, I don't think Sather is playing hard ball.

Old
07-17-2004, 03:47 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
do you think the rangers should sign montoya? do you think the rangers should give every young player what ever the ask for?

i know sather shouldn't be the gm but he is and he isn't the first gm in the history of sports to not give a young player what he wants. something tells me if the rangers signed montoya you would say they shouldn't have. can they do anything right in your eyes?
I want the GM of MY team to work to improve it. Is that too much to ask?

If Sather thinks Montoya AND the Ranger organization would benefit from Montoya leaving college to play professionally, then a few dollars shouldn't be the deal breaker. But, past history suggests it might very well be. I think after what has gone on with the organization during Sather's tenure, I should be "allowed" to be skeptical.

Old
07-17-2004, 04:48 PM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
That's ridiculous... lose development time? College extends a player's development time.

Old
07-17-2004, 07:57 PM
TheZherdev

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/nyr72.html

Old
07-17-2004, 08:00 PM
Edge

Money issue aside, I personally think Montoya should speen one more year in college.

Old
07-17-2004, 09:04 PM
neversummer

What does Montoya want? Is he a good student? Is he going to school to play NCAA Hockey and please Mom? Junior and Senior year your course load is heavy in your chosen field. What degree is he persuing and is it worth it given his obvious chosen profession. Al may want to join the real world. Pro Hockey.

Old
07-17-2004, 09:17 PM
DarthSather99

not all high draft picks make it. If he doesn't make it he can fall back on his "other" chosen profession. Education just isn't about getting a job it's about improving yourself as a person. Montoya has the talent to make it but that doesn't guarantee that it will happen. Blackburn and Lundqvist aren't going to roll over and give up. That's his first obstacle. The situation with the Rangers, it would be better for all for him to stay one more year in Michigan. He'll also get a chance again in the WJC. LaBarbara can hold the fort in Hartford until Blackburn is healthy. Then LaBarbara can go to the Rangers as a backup, he's got nothing else to prove in the AHL.

I predict that Lundqvist will be traded this year...hopefully for young talent in return or a high draft pick in the upcoming draft.

Old
07-17-2004, 10:03 PM
Edge

I think college kids face a more difficult decision than junior kids, etc.

College is VERY expensive nowadays and the opportunity for a good and free education are scarce.

One more year puts him that much closer to a degree. Under the same situation, i think I too would want a nicer amount of money to make up for leaving school even earlier.

Having said that, I do believe this kid WILL play in the NHL. But I also believe that he needs mor seasoning and has some kinks to work out in the college game.

We're not talking a Hugh Jessiman type long term plan here, but rather just another year of college.

I also believe he has one more crack at the WJC's and possibly a college title which could be VERY valuable development opportunities.

Closed Thread