HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do You Know A Random Sports Team Fan?

Old
06-08-2011, 08:43 AM
Stephen23

vCash: 500
Do You Know A Random Sports Team Fan?

Here in Nova Scotia, it seems you are either a fan of five teams (Leafs, Habs, Bruins, Red Wings and Senators in that order). There are also a few that like the Oilers, Canucks, Flyers, etc. I know someone who is a fan of the Columbus Blue Jackets and even made the point to fly to Columbus to catch one of their games. I also know a Sharks fan from NS. I am wondering if you know someone in your town who is a fan of a "random" or unusual team for their location? This could be for any pro sport.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:52 AM
RiellyGood

i thought there were alot of pens fans out in the East Coast due to the Crosby connection..my best friend loves the panthers, lol ok no he doesnt

RiellyGood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
lschenn02

I go to school at Dalhousie in halifax and one of my professors is a pretty die hard avalanche fan, but that has alot to do with he was a nordiques fan

lschenn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:01 PM
Transplanted Caper

I know a Newfie Sabres fan.

Transplanted Caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:15 PM
Grabovski
Грабовский правил

I live in Hamilton and one of my friends is a die hard Kings fan, for no reason lol.

Grabovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:55 PM
Stephen23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balzac View Post
i thought there were alot of pens fans out in the East Coast due to the Crosby connection..my best friend loves the panthers, lol ok no he doesnt
There are quite a bit of Pens fans due to the Crosby factor, but for the most part it seems like you are either a Habs fan or a Leafs fan. The Crosby factor is mainly with kids though. But it seems to me that we will root for Pittsburgh because of Crosby, but their not necessarily the favorite teams.

Sportsnet tries to shove the Sens down our throats here, but I think I have only met three Sens fan here. There always seems to be a bit of a Boston-Halifax connection with there being quite a few Bruins (and Patriot) fans here. Which is kind of funny because there are probably more people rooting for the Bruins here than there is for "Canada's Team" during the finals. Boston seems to be similar city to Halifax though. I would say there is a slight edge to Toronto fans, but there are a lot of Montreal fans here also.

Stephen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Hero
The Corporal Returns

Hard core TBL fan lives next door, we live by Toronto.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:10 PM
perry905

I live in the Toronto area n my 2 best friends are Sabres and Oilers fans, which I don't suppose is too odd, but then I have another buddy who is a huge Sharks fan, I can't explain it other than him being a bandwaggoner

perry905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Pheasant the peasant
Lupul Fan

I am a Leafs and Hawks fan. I suppose you could call the Blackhawk fandom "random". *

Ive been a fan for about 6-7 ish years now. In fact, I have made road trips to see them in Chicago, and again in Buffalo. And I have a Toews jersey, among other merch. ..Not many of my friends think its odd. I really like their history, playing style, city, jersey, and all of their core players. Why shouldn't I be a fan?

It doesn't interefere with being a Leaf fan either, as they hardley play eachother. And I make road trips to see the Leafs too. Saw them in Jersey (that snowstorm game around new years) and Buffalo.

And I know lots of other people who are the same. A friend of mine is a Van fan.* I don't see a problem with it. If you like the players, etc, then why not?

*did not intend for that to rhyme

Pheasant the peasant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:49 PM
KesselPhaneufTML

I live near Hamilton and I'm a diehard New York Giants fan. New York isn't that far, but most football fans around here are Bills fans, jumped on one of the ban wagons (Patriots, Saints, Colts, etc.) or are CFL fans.

KesselPhaneufTML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 04:52 PM
Everlong
-

Along with being a dedicated Leaf fan, I'm also a hardcore Oilers/Predators fan. I guess the predators pop out the most, Steve Sulilvan is a favourite of mine so I followed his career there. Go Figure.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:25 PM
robdicks

I know a carolina panthers fan

Also I pumped gas in hs and I saw a guy w a panthers hat on. I asked him why he was a panthers fan and he said he wasn't. He just got the hat from his son-in-law nathan horton. So ask why ppl are wearing obscure team gear. Sometimes u get good answers lol.

robdicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 05:30 PM
mapes

I live in NS, too. I know a Sharks fan, as well.

mapes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Cool Beans Man

A past roommate of mine was a Sharks fan in a house of Leaf fans.

Another roommate was in a class that showed a study where a significant amount of fans born between like 85-89 or something were Sharks fans (likely because of the cool logo at the time)

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:31 PM
Nikolai Coolman

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
I know a carolina panthers fan

Also I pumped gas in hs and I saw a guy w a panthers hat on. I asked him why he was a panthers fan and he said he wasn't. He just got the hat from his son-in-law nathan horton. So ask why ppl are wearing obscure team gear. Sometimes u get good answers lol.
That means you met Jacques Plante's nephew.

Nikolai Coolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:37 PM
Hurt

One of my good friend's whole family is Carolina Panthers fans. Pretty hilarious.

Hurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:40 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

One of my friends is a Sharks fan, he used to be a Leaf fan but not a die hard and since they never made the playoffs he jump on board to the Sharks

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:07 PM
TheArchitect*

A friend of mine who just moved from Germany is a die hard Lightning fan.

TheArchitect* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:09 PM
NikolaiTesla*
This team is waffle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen23 View Post
Here in Nova Scotia, it seems you are either a fan of five teams (Leafs, Habs, Bruins, Red Wings and Senators in that order). There are also a few that like the Oilers, Canucks, Flyers, etc. I know someone who is a fan of the Columbus Blue Jackets and even made the point to fly to Columbus to catch one of their games. I also know a Sharks fan from NS. I am wondering if you know someone in your town who is a fan of a "random" or unusual team for their location? This could be for any pro sport.
My friends from Labrador are life long Pitts fans. I was a heavy Pitts fan in the Mario days, but I can't cheer for a team that has Crosby on it.

NikolaiTesla* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Shaun_W_W

Not for hockey but football. My one roommate is a die hard Colts fan so over the past few years the rest of us kind of chose teams for various reasons (Ravens, Packers (before they won), Falcons (who he refers to as the Atlantic Birds), and Chargers). I chose Ravens who I have been following for two years and can't really remember why.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:39 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

i know a guy who wears a whalers hat

pretty sure he just think it looks good and doesn't know what league it's involved with, let alone know which team it is

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:48 PM
Quik
Agent 0091

well...i recently started following Tottenham in the EPL for no reason other than they were playing and nothing else was on, so I kinda took interest in the game...don't know if that counts lol

Quik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:49 PM
vezna*
Canada's Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quik View Post
well...i recently started following Tottenham in the EPL for no reason other than they were playing and nothing else was on, so I kinda took interest in the game...don't know if that counts lol
i root for barcelona ever since they picked up my favourite player

vezna* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Earth Rocker

I'm in Thunder Bay and have a friend who is a huge Dallas fan.......granted he was a Minnesota fan back in the day and loved Broten Bellows and Ciccarelli.

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 09:25 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselPhaneufTML View Post
I live near Hamilton and I'm a diehard New York Giants fan. New York isn't that far, but most football fans around here are Bills fans, jumped on one of the ban wagons (Patriots, Saints, Colts, etc.) or are CFL fans.
Ditto. In the Hammer, love the Giants.

My wife actually named our so Eli, not because she like football (not at all) but heard the name.

She asked if I liked the name, back in the fall of '07, I said it was terrible. She said she loved it, so I said (when the Giants were ~4-4) if they make t to the superbowl, we'll name him Eli. Sure enough he wins the superbowl MVP! Couldn't deny it.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote