HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard Berger Fired from FAN 590

Old
06-01-2011, 05:01 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

vCash: 500
Sucks for Berger, but it was time for him to get out of there before everyone hated him... oh wait.

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
SteveV*

The worst thing about Berger, how he rationalized everyone saying he was an a hole with "Leaf fans can't stand the truth". You can never win with that argument, it was a warm comfort blanket of denial, when really people weren't opposed to the criticism, just the kneejerk variety, with a dash of self important arrogance.

I can't stop smiling!!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:03 PM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
The point of radio shows is to get callers, and people reacting, it builds your revenue stream. These guys aren't idiots, they know what they're doing and they know that baiting a Leaf fan is one of the easiest things to do in the history of man kind. If I were to start a post that said Reimer is a fluke and after the shooters get a read on him, he will fade into obscurity like Vesa Toskala, Andrew Raycroft and Felix Potvin, then I will be yelled at by 99% of Leafs nation.

It's trolling because the station wants trolls, it's why Bobcat is so successful.
In the short term yes, it works. But long term you have to actually be objective otherwise the audience will leave once the "shock value" wears off.
Your analogy works. the problem is once your make 100+ of those types of threads, people stop responding because you've lost objectivity and thus credibility anlong with it.

Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:04 PM
FlareKnight

vCash: 50
Haha see ya Berger. Too bad the only ones that will miss him are the people who hate the Leafs. Happy to see him go.

FlareKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
In the short term yes, it works. But long term you have to actually be objective otherwise the audience will leave once the "shock value" wears off.
Your analogy works. the problem is once your make 100+ of those types of threads, people stop responding because you've lost objectivity and thus credibility anlong with it.
While it would certainly get people to stop commenting on it, you still get some people who will never stop because they just like to argue. He was around for 23 years, clearly he was doing something right. That's tremendous longevity at any job, no?

We have a couple people on our boards who are Devils fans and they constantly go off on two players, Parise for one guy and Kovalchuk for the other. While it's easy to say well, we'll just ignore him, someone new ALWAYS comes along and engages them and they get to do it again.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:08 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Gary Scott View Post
Now who will Burkie chew out during press conferences?
ya should see the Torts Brooks chew out, those are the best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUQwnd2i8Lg

check this out...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:17 PM
Medic

Quote:
While it would certainly get people to stop commenting on it, you still get some people who will never stop because they just like to argue. He was around for 23 years, clearly he was doing something right. That's tremendous longevity at any job, no?

We have a couple people on our boards who are Devils fans and they constantly go off on two players, Parise for one guy and Kovalchuk for the other. While it's easy to say well, we'll just ignore him, someone new ALWAYS comes along and engages them and they get to do it again.
True but he wasn't trolling for 23 years. Also compare where his career where people like Dreger, Mckenzie and their ilk are these days. Sure you'll have a career, but it won't go as far up the ladder.

Good point about the two posters who constantly bash Parise and Kovalchuck. You refer to them in that manner and I'm sure they have lost credibility due to being a broken record. Sure new people will jump into the troll trap but I bet there's someone posting right afterwards with "This again, don't bother he's just like that" or something to that effect.

Old
06-01-2011, 05:24 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarBurns View Post

Seriously? You're questioning that this guy wasn't a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs?
No? Where did I say he wasn't a Leaf fan?

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:27 PM
Dio666

The Roj is still with the Fan according to his Twitter. I like R.J.

Too bad about Howard. I guess that's what you get when you piss on the fans like he's been doing.

Dio666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Alright, cool. You may not have liked the guy, but lets not celebrate someone losing their job.
The sad part is he'll probably find another job

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:29 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
No? Where did I say he wasn't a Leaf fan?
You called him a "troll".

Edit:

To me, "troll" means a disingenuous poster, usually misrepresenting themselves as something they aren't, in this case as a lifelong Leafs' fan. I see that "troll" can be used in the context to describe intentionally incendiary, provocative poster.

An aside: I don't think Howard Berger had this juvenile feud with Leafs' fans until somewhere in the mid to late '90's when finally the internet was universally used. It seemed to take years of receiving repeated negative feedback on his softer opinions of years' past to whip up his collective disdain for "us". It also seemed to coincide when the irrelevance of his job as the "fan reporter". Who needs a "fan reporter" now that the organization can speak directly to its fanbase and the fans can memorialise their equally valid opinions as easily as that unpolished radio personality?

Last edited by StarBurns RIP: 06-01-2011 at 05:53 PM.
StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:50 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic View Post
True but he wasn't trolling for 23 years. Also compare where his career where people like Dreger, Mckenzie and their ilk are these days. Sure you'll have a career, but it won't go as far up the ladder.

Good point about the two posters who constantly bash Parise and Kovalchuck. You refer to them in that manner and I'm sure they have lost credibility due to being a broken record. Sure new people will jump into the troll trap but I bet there's someone posting right afterwards with "This again, don't bother he's just like that" or something to that effect.
They have in some effects, Muttley is the Parise basher, no one really listens to him anymore, but once in a while he'll get engaged and you're correct, that the people posting afterwards say he's just like that. JimEIV is the Kovalchuk one, but he actually talks about other stuff as well and that's why we like him on our boards, because it's not the same thing every time.

I'm guessing that's why Berger was able to keep his job for that long? Because he did bring other things to the table too?

Old
06-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
yes...yes I did. I'm not seeing your point here...?

Old
06-01-2011, 05:54 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
yes...yes I did. I'm not seeing your point here...?
See my edit below...

Old
06-01-2011, 06:04 PM
dubey
~manlets~

Did Berger delete his new BergerHLB twitter account? How can you tell if you are blocked?

All I said was goodnight sweet prince

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:08 PM
Tyke
Interested observer

In my mind, HB is indeed, a troll.
It's funny, when I heard him during whatever talk show, he seemed like he sometimes had his **** together. But my God, during the interviews with the coach or GM he's left
me thinking like, wtf? That Simmonds dude is another one that I've soured over the past few years too, he's next for sure. He can keep his crappy job with the newspaper.

Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:08 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:

Edit:

To me, "troll" means a disingenuous poster, usually misrepresenting themselves as something they aren't, in this case as a lifelong Leafs' fan. I see that "troll" can be used in the context to describe intentionally incendiary, provocative poster.

An aside: I don't think Howard Berger had this juvenile feud with Leafs' fans until somewhere in the mid to late '90's when finally the internet was universally used. It seemed to take years of receiving repeated negative feedback on his softer opinions of years' past to whip up his collective disdain for "us". It also seemed to coincide when the irrelevance of his job as the "fan reporter". Who needs a "fan reporter" now that the organization can speak directly to its fanbase and the fans can memorialise their equally valid opinions as easily as that unpolished radio personality?
If Berger changed his act just because of readers' reactions to him then that seems to be fairly disingenuous. In the '90's there was a honeymoon period because everyone at the time could see the improvement compared to the Ballard years.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 06:16 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
If Berger changed his act just because of readers' reactions to him then that seems to be fairly disingenuous.
I can't disagree with that. I doubt many of us believe that any of the public personalities of most public figures are accurate reflections of the actual person.

Old
06-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Medic

Quote:
They have in some effects, Muttley is the Parise basher, no one really listens to him anymore, but once in a while he'll get engaged and you're correct, that the people posting afterwards say he's just like that. JimEIV is the Kovalchuk one, but he actually talks about other stuff as well and that's why we like him on our boards, because it's not the same thing every time.

I'm guessing that's why Berger was able to keep his job for that long? Because he did bring other things to the table too?
Yeah we've got some here too.

Berger got away with it because, well the team did suck so he wasn't being too over the top with his critique. Then he turned on the fans and got a huge backlash. He never recovered from that and has been trolling the fan base (Both blatant and subtle) ever since and giving off a "I don't care if you like it because I'm still working here and there is nothing you plebs can do about it." attitude. Well that changed today.

Old
06-01-2011, 07:02 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:

Edit:

Actually the fact that he is indeed a Leaf fan(albeit a self-hating one) yet tries to act like he's aloof and above other Leaf fans kind of satisfies your definition of a troll...although I don't necessarily agree with it per se.

Old
06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
NomNom
Oh Yeah

Send a message via Skype™ to NomNom
Oh I really, really, really hope he does not end up on TSN Radio

NomNom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post
Considering how much he loves trashing the leafs and their fans, he's got a job out here in Vancouver waiting for him. Man I hate the media out here.

Old
06-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Deebo

Quote:
The point of radio shows is to get callers, and people reacting, it builds your revenue stream. These guys aren't idiots, they know what they're doing and they know that baiting a Leaf fan is one of the easiest things to do in the history of man kind. If I were to start a post that said Reimer is a fluke and after the shooters get a read on him, he will fade into obscurity like Vesa Toskala, Andrew Raycroft and Felix Potvin, then I will be yelled at by 99% of Leafs nation.

It's trolling because the station wants trolls, it's why Bobcat is so successful.
It's not the bashing of the team, they have been very bad, they deserve it. It's the insulting of the fan base (his customers) that rubs me the wrong way.

Deebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
It's not the bashing of the team, they have been very bad, they deserve it. It's the insulting of the fan base (his customers) that rubs me the wrong way.
Fair enough.

Old
06-01-2011, 07:50 PM
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomNomNom View Post
I think he'll end up as the host of the Bill Watters Show on AM640. Jim Ralph is temping right now.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote