HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Howard Berger Fired from FAN 590

Old
06-02-2011, 11:31 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by robdicks View Post
When people first started hating Berger I wasn't really quick to join in on it.I felt he was just trying to be Devils advocate, and I didn't really feel any reason to defend the Leafs no matter what happened, because I am pretty open minded and like to criticize them myself.

At this blog pst everything changed. I felt this is where he truly went off his rocker, and decided he was insulting fans, and not the team. That is where I lost respect for him as a journalist. In no way is the Leafs' terrible track record the fans' fault and that article made him look like a very stupid, and bitter man.
To be honest, that blog entry (I'm hesitant to use the word "article" for blog items) is not completely inaccurate -- although it is obviously an over-the-top description of the situation. It's clearly a "rant" similar to the the type that Rick Mercer is famous for and meant to be read in that kind of a voice. it's meant to be somewhat controversial and perhaps make you think about the situation.

The problem is that the Internet seems to have dulled people's ability to read tone and they treat all content as straight hard facts. This is one of the reasons that I think it is important to distinguish "articles" from "blog entries" and "columns" because they need to be read differently. And I know some like to distinguish further between "blogs" and "columns" although those are similar enough to me that I'm not sure how they do so.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
TMLFAN4LIFE

Alot of people here seem to be really happy that Berger is gone..

I think at the end of the day he just wasn't the most liked person working at the fan anymore. He had a number of heated exchanges with Ron Wilson throughout the years, as well as other head coaches/personnel etc.

While I'm not upset that he is gone, I will say that Howard Berger wasn't afraid to tell things the way they are... that part about him I'm going to miss. For example, when he went on the air saying how the leafs' signing of Martin Gerber and winning the final game of the regular season vs Ottawa would be a negligible decision for the Leafs in the long-term... What ended up happening?? We won that game, moved down in the draft, and missed out on Brayden Schenn...

What I'm trying to say here is, in my mind Berger was the biggest Maple Leafs fan working at the Fan590 and was truly disgusted with the way management operated the past 5-10 years...

You can't be mad at the reporter, especially when he's covering his own favourite hockey team, for pointing out the numerous problems that have occurred with management since before I have been born!... because at the end of the day, there have been TONS of problems with this team, and I think Howard had alot of balls to be going on the air challenging the horrible decisions of the Leafs' management.

Good luck Howard in whatever you do next, I really hope the Leafs win a cup soon to put a smile on your face for once!

Last edited by TMLFAN4LIFE: 06-02-2011 at 11:44 AM.
TMLFAN4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Kewl Leafs

Send a message via MSN to Kewl Leafs Send a message via Yahoo to Kewl Leafs
Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
To be honest I think Berger, Cox and Simmonds all need to go.

We need fresh faces that aren't going to continually provide negative feed back because Toronto isn't following the tank to succeed model.

I am sick of Toronto being a bad team, but I don't think we need to constantly be reminded/or told by the media that our path is the wrong path. It has been beaten to death and I would love to see objective journalism of the maple leafs without the constant negativity of these writers.
I agree with you totally. I don't always agree with Berger but Simmonds is an arrogant, angry man and Cox doesn't really like Hockey or the Leafs it's just his job (or that's the impression he leaves.) At least Howard liked the tea, cheered for the team at times and did what he could to ask some conversation invoking questions. (he did have a job to do and if he wasn't asking questions like "Do you think your job is on the line?, What would you like him to ask in a media scrum? Do you think the fore check helped your team win tonight?, Did the pre-game meal taste as good as it looked?")

Sorry to see you leave, I am almost done with the Fan 590 and loving listening to TSN's radio station now. 1050 TSN Sports Radio.

The Fan turfed all my favourite personalities, some of whom I listened to for years and replaced them with guys who ask and answer their own questions with I don't know I don't really follow that sport. It's unlistenable until 4pm now.

Kewl Leafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 12:13 PM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerRoeper View Post
The Fan has been letting go of a lot of people the last year or two. This isn't a surprise. They stopped sending him to road games with the Leafs, so there's less of a point to have him employed there anymore.

I also think Howard's blogs on eklund's site was a terrible idea. He was reduced to taunting Leaf fans like he was a 12 year-old Vancouver fan. Bad move on his part.
The impression I had was that those blogs were written for the Fan590 web site and he was allowed to make a side deal to have them also appear on Eklund's site.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:18 PM
TrueBlue86

what is the official reason given by the fan for his firing?

sorry if anyone already mentioned it

TrueBlue86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:38 PM
Gobias Industries
HFBoards Sponsor

Favourite memory: Defending the hell out of him during the Avery-Blake scandal only to realize he was full of it..

Gobias Industries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:54 PM
Joey Hoser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
To be honest, that blog entry (I'm hesitant to use the word "article" for blog items) is not completely inaccurate -- although it is obviously an over-the-top description of the situation. It's clearly a "rant" similar to the the type that Rick Mercer is famous for and meant to be read in that kind of a voice. it's meant to be somewhat controversial and perhaps make you think about the situation.

The problem is that the Internet seems to have dulled people's ability to read tone and they treat all content as straight hard facts. This is one of the reasons that I think it is important to distinguish "articles" from "blog entries" and "columns" because they need to be read differently. And I know some like to distinguish further between "blogs" and "columns" although those are similar enough to me that I'm not sure how they do so.
This seems rather semantical.

He insults people and they take offense. Not really that complicated.

Joey Hoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:46 PM
James Duthie
Kadri is 3 Hunna

LOL it was his own fault that he lost his own job, don't know why you people are caring about it. He was always a guy that pissed everyone off and I'm glad he's gone he totally hated Leaf fans and was always the bandwagoner

James Duthie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:54 PM
Lightsol

Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
To be honest I think Berger, Cox and Simmonds all need to go.

We need fresh faces that aren't going to continually provide negative feed back because Toronto isn't following the tank to succeed model.

I am sick of Toronto being a bad team, but I don't think we need to constantly be reminded/or told by the media that our path is the wrong path. It has been beaten to death and I would love to see objective journalism of the maple leafs without the constant negativity of these writers.
I don't know about Berger, but for Cox and Simmons, it has nothing to do with following the tank or any model. They both hate the Leafs and get paid to trash them at every opportunity, and they have been at least since Quinn was running the show here (I still remember Simmons summing up how terrible the Leafs were every year, even when they had Sundin, Mogilny, Roberts and the rest).

Lightsol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:05 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack Ryder View Post
WTF! Roger is a good man. This is BS.
I always enjoyed listening to Roger.

Why they keep Krystal around is beyond me. "I think ...(some random argumentative point) you say what? " Ooooh such skill with a microphone. Becarefull those kind of in depth questions might get you hired on 60minutes.

Big changes at Rogers right now.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Budsfan

This from Howard Berger....Unemployment: The First 48 Hours

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=36191

He certainly has a pretty good following in the Toronto Media

Budsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:37 PM
LeafsGuru93
me & Dave Ellett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budsfan View Post
This from Howard Berger....Unemployment: The First 48 Hours

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=36191

He certainly has a pretty good following in the Toronto Media
once again his hockeybuzz link doesn't work.

It's not how they died that made them heroes, it's how they lived, putting others safety 1st, each & every day. Thanks Toronto police for keeping us safe. -RIP Sgt. Ryan Russell, Const. Garrett Styles.
LeafsGuru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:03 AM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafsGuru View Post
once again his hockeybuzz link doesn't work.
So what's the problem then?

Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:15 AM
Mork

Send a message via ICQ to Mork
I stopped listening in the morning when they fired Landry and reassigned Stellick. They could shut down the station but for PrimeTime, and the Jays and Raptors games and I wouldn't notice.

I thought Howard Berger was okay, but I mainly listen to other stations now, especially if Andrew Krystal is on the air.

Mork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:46 AM
YearsintheWilderness

YearsintheWilderness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 03:21 AM
Darcy Tucker

so ive yet to see anyone post a reason or at least a guess as to why he got fired??

Darcy Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:13 AM
SteveV*

People with the "oh he just told it the way it was" crap, should go back when we were challenging for the Cup under Quinn. It wasn't much different, we had a legit contending team and yet every year the negativity was front and center.

Berger is a critic, a know it all, "never played the game" type. People that spend too much time doing the same job become bitter cynics, and Berger just got worse and worse over the years. Good riddance, guy was a biased disaster IMHO.

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:13 AM
Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Tucker View Post
so ive yet to see anyone post a reason or at least a guess as to why he got fired??
The most recent blog of his said that he's been worried about losing his job for a while. I would guess that the reason would be declining ratings at the FAN and them wanting to retool the whole line up.

Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:52 AM
david999

Too bad Howard lost his job at the FAN radio. The only reason I listen to them was for Leaf talk and news. Berger was there guy for a long time and I did found him interesting to listen to. I hope he lands a job again in the Toronto area.

david999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Interactif

I found it interesting he said he had no ill feelings towards Don Kollins when he just said he stormed out of the building admittidely in an unprofessional manner, are you kidding me, I would hate the person that had just fired me after 20+ years, why do I find this hard to believe? I don't know if Howard is in denial but he also said he received 400 positive emails that overwhelmed the few one's that said it was about time he was gone, from what I have seen in blogs and comments on Hockey Buzz to me it's the other way around. I think Berger will land on his feet, he's got the connections as evidenced by his name dropping but this blog entry I did find a bit disingenuous.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:33 AM
Confucius

As someone said earlier, Basically Leaf fans can't take the truth. Oh well when we get reporters all wearing Blue and White glasses and Homer play by play guys and analysts, all will be well. Lesson learned you have to tell the people what they want to hear.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:43 AM
asdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Too bad Howard lost his job at the FAN radio. The only reason I listen to them was for Leaf talk and news. Berger was there guy for a long time and I did found him interesting to listen to. I hope he lands a job again in the Toronto area.
Same. I know most people want to give Howard an atomic wedgie but I loved it when he was on the radio because I knew it was going to be Leafs/hockey talk. It's the same with any other media personality. I can't find myself getting too angered by them because I don't take them too seriously and just listen for entertainment. Plus I would prefer any of them over having to listen to golf/NFL/CFL/MMA/steroids talk.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:06 AM
Espher

Send a message via ICQ to Espher Send a message via AIM to Espher Send a message via MSN to Espher Send a message via Yahoo to Espher
Reading the tail end of his post on HockeyBuzz, it seems the station is really giving him a raw deal on his way out lol.

Espher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:18 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Duthie View Post
LOL it was his own fault that he lost his own job, don't know why you people are caring about it. He was always a guy that pissed everyone off and I'm glad he's gone he totally hated Leaf fans and was always the bandwagoner
Reported the Bad which far outweighs the good lately. Yeah I guess objectivity is being a bandwaggoner.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:48 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyhopeful View Post
As someone said earlier, Basically Leaf fans can't take the truth. Oh well when we get reporters all wearing Blue and White glasses and Homer play by play guys and analysts, all will be well. Lesson learned you have to tell the people what they want to hear.
Remember, as far as Berger is concerned you are one of the idiot sheep also.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote