HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard Berger Fired from FAN 590

Old
06-04-2011, 03:24 PM
theTTC

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by exporta View Post
To be honest I think Berger, Cox and Simmonds all need to go.

We need fresh faces that aren't going to continually provide negative feed back because Toronto isn't following the tank to succeed model.

I am sick of Toronto being a bad team, but I don't think we need to constantly be reminded/or told by the media that our path is the wrong path. It has been beaten to death and I would love to see objective journalism of the maple leafs without the constant negativity of these writers.
You guys want rah rah rah no matter how preposterous the losing becomes? You want the turd sugar-coated? You want to listen to company men/women parrot the corporate script? Surprise, it's been with you all along - it's called Leafs TV. Now go nuts! - enjoy and soak in the media prozak.

theTTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 04:00 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by theTTC View Post
You guys want rah rah rah no matter how preposterous the losing becomes? You want the turd sugar-coated? You want to listen to company men/women parrot the corporate script? Surprise, it's been with you all along - it's called Leafs TV. Now go nuts! - enjoy and soak in the media prozak.
Now why is that always the cliche answer?

Good journalism used to be guys like Proudfoot and Dunnel. We don't have too many like that in the Toronto media any more.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:36 PM
StarBurns RIP
No Agenda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Good journalism used to be guys like Proudfoot and Dunnel. We don't have too many like that in the Toronto media any more.
There aren't too many in the media nowadays who spend their evenings drinking and hanging out with the owners of the local teams like these guys did.

While I much preferred the tone and style of these columnists of that bygone era, they were better writers for the most part, they were notably biased in the opposite direction acting as conduits for messages to the fanbase sent by the management of the teams. Really, think whatever you may think about the current batch of people in the media, they're probably acting more like journalists than those of the past keeping some distance between themselves and their subjects.

StarBurns RIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:44 PM
The Shrike

Berger's negative attitude towards the Leafs dates back to the Fans disastrous decision to dump the Leafs broadcasts in favour of the Blue Jays. Before that, the Fan was one of the top rated radio stations in the city, but it wasn't too long after they went with the shiny pony that they realized the horrible mistake they made. They fell to where they are now, cellar dwellers in the radio wars, and a pale shadow of their glory days when they were proud members of Leaf Nation.

Over the years, they forgot the hard lesson they should have learned so long ago, and instead of begging our forgiveness, they became bitter, shallow trolls who went out of their way to poke us at every turn.

Berger was the most visible, and his buddy Eklund gives him prime placement every day at that site where he spews his vomit towards Leaf Nation until one day they just got fed up with him and stopped replying. Now, Howie posts a blog and gets 10 replies in a day, meanwhile Mike from Buffalo posts one and gets a thousand.

Basically, Berger has become irrelevant, as has his former employer the Fan. Hopefully, this purge of the old guard represents the beginning of a change of direction by Rogers towards reconcilliation with Leaf Nation. If Rogers intends to buy MLSEL, that would be a good start towards improving relations with their customer base.

The Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 03:36 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
Berger's negative attitude towards the Leafs dates back to the Fans disastrous decision to dump the Leafs broadcasts in favour of the Blue Jays. Before that, the Fan was one of the top rated radio stations in the city, but it wasn't too long after they went with the shiny pony that they realized the horrible mistake they made. They fell to where they are now, cellar dwellers in the radio wars, and a pale shadow of their glory days when they were proud members of Leaf Nation.

Over the years, they forgot the hard lesson they should have learned so long ago, and instead of begging our forgiveness, they became bitter, shallow trolls who went out of their way to poke us at every turn.

Berger was the most visible, and his buddy Eklund gives him prime placement every day at that site where he spews his vomit towards Leaf Nation until one day they just got fed up with him and stopped replying. Now, Howie posts a blog and gets 10 replies in a day, meanwhile Mike from Buffalo posts one and gets a thousand.

Basically, Berger has become irrelevant, as has his former employer the Fan. Hopefully, this purge of the old guard represents the beginning of a change of direction by Rogers towards reconcilliation with Leaf Nation. If Rogers intends to buy MLSEL, that would be a good start towards improving relations with their customer base.
Between 2006-2008, I was what you could consider an avid HockeyBuzz reader. I enjoyed a lot of the blogs there, and Eklund's rumours, as wrong as they usually were, provided good discussion of player values and team roster needs.

But Howard Berger changed all of that. One time, he posted an entry about Kulemin, where he basically picked out the most delusional email he could find in his inbox, about Kulemin being a 40 goal scorer in his rookie year, and painted EVERY Leafs fan as delusional and unrealistic. He posted stats from TWO years earlier in the KHL as proof that Kulemin would be just another Leafs prospect in a long line of busts. However, Kulemin had just wrapped up the KHL MVP award and won a championship in his current year. I contacted Howard to tell him his information was outdated, but he refused to post a retraction and basically ridiculed me. Add that to the fact that, after comparing timestamps on the email I sent and his reply, only 55 seconds had elapsed. Trust me, I had much more than 55 seconds worth of reading material written down. The man exudes unprofessionalism.

There was one specific blog (I believe someone linked to it earlier) that just set me over the edge. It made me so angry that I immediately deleted my bookmark of the page, and never typed in the name of that website ever again. I'm now 3-years sober. ()

I honestly am not sure if I could resist punching that mustache off his face if I ever saw him in person.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
TeamBester
Debunked

Quote:
Clearly Berger has a vendetta with the Leafs. If you enjoy what Berger writes about the Leafs, you should cheer for a different team, IMO.

TeamBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:44 AM
TMLFAN4LIFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Shrike View Post
The firing of Howard Berger and his fellow associates has begun a change of direction by rogers towards a reconciliation with Leafs nation? How does that even make any sense!? And secondly, you probably aren't a Toronto sports fan if you're considering the fan590 irrelevant.... As a Blue Jays fan, and just as a sports fan in general, I listen to that station every day of my life, and I'm 19!

But wait, you want that same (cheap) corporation that owns the (cheap) Toronto Blue Jays to own your beloved Leafs (and raptors) as well? And you believe that it hasn't been in Rogers' best interests to build a relationship with their customers because of the fact that they lost maple leafs radio broadcasting rights to am640?! Wow.

At the end of the day, no team in this city that is owned by a corporation will ever win a championship. Learn to accept that fact as soon as possible. (and search for your nearest local billionaires that are looking to invest too while you're at it!)

Rogers Corp. owning the Toronto Maple Leafs would be by far the worst decision for this team moving forward. All we would be doing is moving from one cheap @ss corporation that only cares about the 'bottom line' to the next. Say hello to an increase in ROGERS stock value on the TSX, thats about it!

If you want to improve your customer relations with your team, it's pretty damn simple. Bring in GOOD players that want to WIN. (Canadian talent preferably). The broadcaster of the games is entirely irrelevant with respect to bringing in fans, imo.

Last edited by TMLFAN4LIFE: 06-05-2011 at 11:20 AM.
TMLFAN4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
The Shrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMLFAN4LIFE View Post
The firing of Howard Berger and his fellow associates has begun a change of direction by rogers towards a reconciliation with Leafs nation? How does that even make any sense!?...
It makes sense because this is a hockey town, and Leaf Nation is it's religion. The sooner they realize this, and begin to service their meal ticket, the sooner they will ascend in the ratings.

Quote:
...you probably aren't a baseball fan if you're considering the fan590 irrelevant...
Contrary to what the Leaf haters believe, Toronto was, is, and always will be Leaf country. The FAN 590 forgot this, and paid a steep price price for their folly.

Quote:
...But wait, you want that same cheap corporation that owns the Toronto Blue Jays to own your beloved Leafs (and raptors) as well?...
I would prefer an individual owner, but logic tells me either Rogers or Bell will win out if the team is up for auction. I don't see any other potential buyers that would be willing to outbid those two.

Quote:
...And you believe that it hasn't been the corporations best interests to build a relationship with their customers since they lost maple leafs radio broadcasting rights?!...
Considering how they've gone out of their way to ridicule the Leafs and Leaf Nation since that time what other conclusion could one come to. They made their bed, now they'll have to lie in it.

Quote:
...Wow. At the end of the day, no team in this city that is owned by a corporation will ever win a championship. Accept that fact as soon as possible...
Accept this fact, seeing as very few individuals have access to the kind of funds necessary to purchase MLSEL, the Leafs will be owned by a corporation. As for your declaration that they will never win a championship, if that's what you believe, then go cheer for the Canucks alongside the other bandwagon fans.

Quote:
...If you wanna improve your customer relations with your team, it's pretty damn simple. Bring in GOOD players that want to WIN. (Canadian talent preferably). The broadcaster of the games is entirely irrelevant with respect to bringing in fans, imo.
You can have the best product in the world, but if you have employees who take intricate pleasure in urinating on your customers, it will all go for naught.

The Shrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 12:00 PM
Interactif

My only problem with Howard was his information was often unreliable, he was overly sensitive to criticism and he often generalized what Leafs fans were. Other than that he was a good listen, that you couldn't take seriously if you knew your hockey. Could he be the next co host for Watters, if so this would be entertaining. 2 guys that have pretty bad opinions working side by side.

Interactif is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 05:35 PM
The Iceman

Need to know who will be replacing him before forming a judgement on if this was a good decision.

The Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 10:43 PM
PasDaSquini

Not sad to see this man go tbh. I wish him well where ever he goes hopefully it is not near the Lsafs.

PasDaSquini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:24 PM
Cool Beans Man

He once wrote a piece about how Wilson was all gushing over Phaneuf's initial leadership after the trade, and how it was embarrassing and sending an awful message to the rest of the team that he was singling out Dion so much.

I e-mailed him to offer the opinion that maybe, just maybe, some of the guys could learn a thing or two from Dion. Or that having a leader on this team, which had been absent for a couple seasons, would be a positive thing. He replied and refuted, but a couple days later he added to an article that he was maybe too harsh on Wilson and that Dion's leadership could be a good thing.

I certainly don't know for sure if I helped sway his opinion, but I like to think I had a part in it.

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 11:52 PM
Interactif

Remember this moment?

Old
06-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Interactif

One more, the ending of the video was prophetic

Old
06-06-2011, 10:40 AM
Ryan52

hopefully he can move on to a different profession
couldnt stand him and i dont know how he lasted this long

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:12 AM
tzinc

If it's not broke don't fix it. The Fan was great a few years back then they started tinkering it is unlistenable right now.

tzinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:15 AM
Interactif

What do you guys think of Andrew Kystal? I can't stand him, don't understand why he is on a sports radio station.

I was a huge Marsden and Derringer fan in the mornings a decade ago, never knew Derringer was so sharp until he joined the Fan.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:21 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
I tend to agree...good journalists really don't rah rah rah anybody...they are supposed to be neutral. I didn't mind Berger but then again I didn't pay much attention to him. I like the fact that he got into some "uncomfortable" moments with both Burke and Wilson asking them honest questions.

The best example is the video posted above in the "end of year presser" with a crotchety Brian Burke telling Berger he basically doesn't give a "rats ass" about anybody's opinion.

That makes for good sound bites, entertaining banter. I love when Brooks of the NY Post goes head to head with John Tortorella. I mean this is what makes for good sports news. I really really really loathe "journalists" who do nothing but brown-nose with players, managers and coaches.

I guess that is why I tend to listen to Bob McCowan... Bobcat keeps things professional without embarrassingly lapping up anything the interviewee says.

I find Watters the most nauseating because he talks a big game about someone when they are not speaking with him but when he gets the person in an interview he suddenly loses his bite and becomes a gushing idiot. Its rather annoying.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 12:26 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
What do you guys think of Andrew Kystal? I can't stand him, don't understand why he is on a sports radio station.

I was a huge Marsden and Derringer fan in the mornings a decade ago, never knew Derringer was so sharp until he joined the Fan.
I find Krystal somewhat entertaining but I also don't take him seriously. He goes out of his way to try and shock people. A bit of a shock jock really but he doesn't sound convincing. He also doesn't come across as a real sportscaster but more of a wannabe. He got the boot from the morning show and I don't even know what time he is on anymore. The guy was a bit of a d1ck really, so I don't miss him even though I'm not a big fan of Greg Brady either (the guy who replaced him)...

Are you speaking of Derringer as in John Derringer...the rock jock at Q107? If you are..I don't recall his days on the FAN as I didn't listen back then but I can definitely see him as being a good fit...the guy is pretty entertaining and is somewhat funny as well. I would definitely listen to him on the FAN morning show. Bring him back!

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:05 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Beans Man View Post
He once wrote a piece about how Wilson was all gushing over Phaneuf's initial leadership after the trade, and how it was embarrassing and sending an awful message to the rest of the team that he was singling out Dion so much.

I e-mailed him to offer the opinion that maybe, just maybe, some of the guys could learn a thing or two from Dion. Or that having a leader on this team, which had been absent for a couple seasons, would be a positive thing. He replied and refuted, but a couple days later he added to an article that he was maybe too harsh on Wilson and that Dion's leadership could be a good thing.

I certainly don't know for sure if I helped sway his opinion, but I like to think I had a part in it.
He regularly reads another board I'm on and flat-out copies our posts and ideas verbatim(all the while claiming he doesn't read messageboards -- ha!). We've caught him red-handed a number of times. It's quite amusing.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:19 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I find Krystal somewhat entertaining but I also don't take him seriously. He goes out of his way to try and shock people. A bit of a shock jock really but he doesn't sound convincing. He also doesn't come across as a real sportscaster but more of a wannabe. He got the boot from the morning show and I don't even know what time he is on anymore. The guy was a bit of a d1ck really, so I don't miss him even though I'm not a big fan of Greg Brady either (the guy who replaced him)...

Are you speaking of Derringer as in John Derringer...the rock jock at Q107? If you are..I don't recall his days on the FAN as I didn't listen back then but I can definitely see him as being a good fit...the guy is pretty entertaining and is somewhat funny as well. I would definitely listen to him on the FAN morning show. Bring him back!
Yes JD of the Q now, I was surprised when he was 1st hired as the morning man on the Fan. But quickly found him to be one of the brightest, sharpest radio guys in the biz. You would expect Marsden to run rough over him but he gave it back as well as handing it out. These guys loved each other despite the poking they took at each other. I wish I could find it but when Mars bar passed on, JD wrote a very touching blog entry about Marsden months after he passed away. Best morning show of its time.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:26 PM
topched

Quote:
Yes JD of the Q now, I was surprised when he was 1st hired as the morning man on the Fan. But quickly found him to be one of the brightest, sharpest radio guys in the biz. You would expect Marsden to run rough over him but he gave it back as well as handing it out. These guys loved each other despite the poking they took at each other. I wish I could find it but when Mars bar passed on, JD wrote a very touching blog entry about Marsden months after he passed away. Best morning show of its time.
I remember listening to them on the way to highschool all the time. Not only were they well informed with good guests and some decent insight, they were funny too. They used to do a ton of stuff that kept your interest, Derringer did all those voices like the Mike Tyson Michael Jackson stuff... they used to have "Vito" the Doug Gilmour fan call in all the time. They did some great stuff. Even when Marsden passed Derringer and Stellick kept it together pretty well.

Fan has been looking for a morning show ever since. Now they're in shambles. TSN radio is very average IMO in terms of sports radio, but I'll take them everytime over the stuff that the fan has on these days.

topched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:27 PM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfanz View Post
I tend to agree...good journalists really don't rah rah rah anybody...they are supposed to be neutral. I didn't mind Berger but then again I didn't pay much attention to him. I like the fact that he got into some "uncomfortable" moments with both Burke and Wilson asking them honest questions.

The best example is the video posted above in the "end of year presser" with a crotchety Brian Burke telling Berger he basically doesn't give a "rats ass" about anybody's opinion.

That makes for good sound bites, entertaining banter. I love when Brooks of the NY Post goes head to head with John Tortorella. I mean this is what makes for good sports news. I really really really loathe "journalists" who do nothing but brown-nose with players, managers and coaches.

I guess that is why I tend to listen to Bob McCowan... Bobcat keeps things professional without embarrassingly lapping up anything the interviewee says.

I find Watters the most nauseating because he talks a big game about someone when they are not speaking with him but when he gets the person in an interview he suddenly loses his bite and becomes a gushing idiot. Its rather annoying.
That's human nature. I've run into situations where a customer is very belligerent over something negative my company did to him over the phone and via e-mail and then being afraid what would happen in a face-to face and this same person i far more reasonable towards us in that environment. That's why actors go out and give interviews to movie reviewers before their film comes out, to curry favour.

The smartest reporters are the ones who aren't overly critical because they realize that they never played the game and don't know enough to be that way.

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Interactif

Quote:
Originally Posted by topched View Post
I remember listening to them on the way to highschool all the time. Not only were they well informed with good guests and some decent insight, they were funny too. They used to do a ton of stuff that kept your interest, Derringer did all those voices like the Mike Tyson Michael Jackson stuff... they used to have "Vito" the Doug Gilmour fan call in all the time. They did some great stuff. Even when Marsden passed Derringer and Stellick kept it together pretty well.

Fan has been looking for a morning show ever since. Now they're in shambles. TSN radio is very average IMO in terms of sports radio, but I'll take them everytime over the stuff that the fan has on these days.
Landry and Marsden was never the same after Derringer left. I used to love Marsden's dink of the day segment, that was usually a great laugh.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:52 PM
topched

Quote:
Landry and Marsden was never the same after Derringer left. I used to love Marsden's dink of the day segment, that was usually a great laugh.
You're right. I included Don Landry in some of that as well. Forgot he was in there. Then it became Landry and Stellick IIRC.

I remember a guy calling in really early in the show, making outlandish statements about the leafs, ripping on Sundin, and making some ridiculous comments overall. Marsden proclaimed he was the dink of the day the second the guy hung up. That segment was good

topched is offline   Reply With Quote