HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Columbus/Ottawa

Old
05-31-2011, 10:23 AM
Palinka

vCash: 500
Columbus/Ottawa

I'll make it quick and easy.

To Ottawa:
Jakub Voracek

To Columbus:
2011 1st-round pick (6th overall)

Why Ottawa does it:
Voracek was a 2007 first-rounder who's already got three years in the NHL and 134 points. He's played primarily on the first and second lines. Ottawa also suffers from a lack of highly-skilled wingers both on the NHL team and in the farm system. Overall, wing is the area of the most concern, and the best ones available this year are Landeskog (who will be gone by #6), Bartschi, and Armia (both of whom would be a reach at #6).

Voracek is also popular with his teammates, possibly due to his complete lack of shame when it comes to singing horribly off-key versions of everything from Nickelback to Lady Gaga. (This doesn't count for anything, but it's worth noting).

Voracek is a pending RFA. The fact that he hasn't taken that next step into dominance also means that his asking price will be slightly lower, although he looks to be close to that breakout.

Why Columbus does it:
Although wing is not an area of great depth (although to a greater extent than Ottawa), swapping Voracek for a high pick would have its benefits. These would include:
1) Having two top-8 picks in a draft that's recognized as being the top 8 and then everyone else. This would also work if there's a targeted pick who's unlikely to slide to 8, and would also provide for a bit more of a gamble to be taken at 8. Two defensemen? One defenseman and a center? Wing and center? Wing and defenseman?
2) Provide an additional major piece for a potential big move (draft picks are liquid, players are not).
3) Moving someone who may be in need of the "change of scenery".

Thoughts?

Palinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:27 AM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
depends greatly on who's available. Also, this is a sens team that shouldnt be taking shortcuts. With 6 picks in 66, we can develop a bunch of solid players from this draft and have a real rebuild going 2 years down the line.

05-31-2011, 10:28 AM
Marvelous Manked
Part Time Drag Queen

No. Voracek is just as hit or miss as the 6th overall pick is going to be.

I'd do 21st Overall +, but not around the 6th.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:31 AM
jbeck5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post

This. Nashville's 1st and a 2nd.

jbeck5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:35 AM
SpezDispenser

I'd have to see who's available at 6. I have a feeling someone in the top 5 will go slightly off the board and take Hamilton or Murphy, leaving one of the big guns to us (Couturier, Huberdeau or Landeskog). If it's status quo and the 5 forwards are gone, I'd do this deal I think. I've always liked Voracek and think he can continue to grow into a 60-70 point player - which is still a risk because I see Strome as that as well, but in Voracek you get a guy who's much farther along in development.

Good proposal, although I anxiously await Columbus fans to come in and say no.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:37 AM
trentmccleary

No and it doesn't matter who is available at 6th.
I want to avoid spending quality assets and high salaries for 2nd liners until the 1st line & top-4 defense are in place. There's no point until those things happen and the acquisition of expensive 2nd liners jeopardizes the acquisition of the other things.

trentmccleary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:38 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
I'd have to see who's available at 6. I have a feeling someone in the top 5 will go slightly off the board and take Hamilton or Murphy, leaving one of the big guns to us (Couturier, Huberdeau or Landeskog). If it's status quo and the 5 forwards are gone, I'd do this deal I think. I've always liked Voracek and think he can continue to grow into a 60-70 point player - which is still a risk because I see Strome as that as well, but in Voracek you get a guy who's much farther along in development.

OK, no!

Columbus needs NHL players now, not in three years. I'd rather have Jake than anyone who will be drafted sixth.

pete goegan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:40 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
OK, no!

Columbus needs NHL players now, not in three years. I'd rather have Jake than anyone who will be drafted sixth.
Yeah, I can't argue with that.

Old
05-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Roadman
Moving On

Quote:

OK..... NO!

The CBJ are looking for contibuting roster players notably on defense, not draft choices. In fact it has been widely discussed that their own pick at #8 is available.

Roadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

OTT should do this. The chance that the player will be as good or better than Voracek is really not that high.

Voracek has proven his worth.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:01 AM
SpezDispenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
OTT should do this. The chance that the player will be as good or better than Voracek is really not that high.

I'm not sure about that personally. I think the top 6 or even 7 forwards in this draft all have legitimately high potential. RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Couturier, Strome all have very high ceilings IMO.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:02 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post

It's 40% according to Scott Cullen.
Bryan Murray's draft team has acquired 3 players with 1st rounders.
- The first of those just outproduced Voracek as a D-man and is a year younger.
- The third just had a historic season in the SEL.
- The second doesn't look like a bust by any means, but we won't know until he starts shutting down NHL'ers.

Bottom line... at this point, I don't care what the % is because I would rather see what Murray's team can do with the pick than get Voracek.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:05 AM
RedwingsnCudi13

Nashville 1st
Nashville 2nd
Nick Foligno

for

Voracek ( RFA )

would be more along the lines of a fair deal at this point.

Voracek has Sky high potential but until he reaches that this is what he's worth.

RedwingsnCudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:16 AM
trentmccleary

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwingsnCudi13 View Post
Nashville 1st
Nashville 2nd
Nick Foligno

for

Voracek ( RFA )

Voracek has Sky high potential but until he reaches that this is what he's worth.
He had 12 more points than Foligno this season, while getting almost twice as much PP time.

Voracek isn't worth that package either.

Old
05-31-2011, 11:18 AM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
A big NO.

I'm good about moving Voracek but not for a draft pick even the 6th overall. He had some mental lapses this past season and wasn't productive after the trade deadline. IMO he's not 100% focused on Hockey - maturity issue. After 10 years of loosing we've run out of patiance.

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:36 AM
TSA0402

Columbus needs the help now much more than the pick. Also, the likelyhood of Columbus drafting with the 6th and getting a player as good as Voracek is not good.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:55 AM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedwingsnCudi13 View Post
Nashville 1st
Nashville 2nd
Nick Foligno

for

Voracek ( RFA )

Are you sure this is a 2nd you guys got? I thought it was a 1st n a 3rd if Nashville didn't make the Finals?
Why not throw together the 21st, one of the 2nd's you have and maybe its closer for CBJ.

CBJ can than use 8th 21st n 2 2nds to trade up

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 11:57 AM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post

No he's not??? I don't get how thats true. He still has the hit but is no miss, imo.

I'd be very close to doing it... How bout 6th + 21st + 65th + Foligno for Voracek + 8th?

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:00 PM
kpshibal

No offense boys but that deal is actually pretty solid.

Voracek a 2nd liner? maybe, but you have to agree with me that this guy is top 6. (aka. what we have been looking for)

Even in your fantasy league no one will trade you Couturier for Voracek, cause they will say the same thing, we dont know how Couturier will pan out.

It's a solid offer and its possible. Kind of like last year Rundblad for Tarasenko.

I strongly believe that at worst Voracek is a low top 6 forward. Its only a matter of time that this guy starts racking 70-80 pts. He is more of a play-maker right? so in our team will probably suit up on the second line.

Its something that will happen at the draft cause if Landeskog drops to us or we have the chance to trade up, then we will do it. For the Draft our target has to be Couturier or Landeskog. Huberdeau we don't want, we need character in the team and more grit but we shall see. I really want Ottawa to get a sniper more than anything really. Matt Pumpel? LOL just saying, I think his value is really low right now and all this guy goes is shoots.

Overall.
I think that offer is solid and I would take it from Ottawa's view if what I said is not available, I dont know if Columbus would do that.

kpshibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:02 PM
CBJ Bob
It Smells Bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post
No he's not??? I don't get how thats true. He still has the hit but is no miss, imo.

I'd be very close to doing it... How bout 6th + 21st + 65th + Foligno for Voracek + 8th?
Okay Columbus says yes but don't you think this is over payment?

CBJ Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:04 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

imo, it would be a good deal if Couturier,Lando, and Huberdeau are off the board, as a Sens fan I would still have a hard time pulling the trigger though.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:05 PM
Andre Benoit Bawls
What, Me Worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJ Bob View Post
Okay Columbus says yes but don't you think this is over payment?
Meh. I'd do 6th for Voracek. I'd do Foligno +21st +65th for 8th overall. If each individual deal has Ottawa overpaying a little bit, thats not a big deal.

EDIT: BTW, I only do that if Huberdeau/Couturier are gone. I'd mayyybe still do it for Lando

Andre Benoit Bawls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
TSA0402

Quote:
Originally Posted by The OttoMan View Post

I don't think either team does that. The value is pretty good and I would love to have Voracek in the Sens organization however the way the Sens have been drafting these past few years it makes me want to keep these picks and see what they can do.

Columbus desperately needs elite skill and less depth so keeping the better chips for achieving that is necessary. I really don't like how the Blue Jackets look with more draft picks and without Voracek.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:28 PM
RedwingsnCudi13

Quote:
Originally Posted by trentmccleary View Post
He had 12 more points than Foligno this season, while getting almost twice as much PP time.

Voracek isn't worth that package either.
Yes but Voracek is also two years younger than Foligno

Voracek has played two less pro seasons and already has more point than Foligno

too say he isn't worth this package is ridiculous your trading a 21 year old top 6 forward for 2 unknowns and a 3rd liner

RedwingsnCudi13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-31-2011, 12:47 PM
Ludicrous Speed

Rather hang onto Jake, unless somehow there's a deal in place with a third party where the two top 8 picks are dealt for a good defenseman, which is highly unlikely.

The only way I trade Jake is in a deal to upgrade the roster. I'm fine with keeping him, he's only had 1 season where he didn't meet expectations, and it mostly had to do with being snakebitten on open nets and trying to make one too many fancy passes. Those are the only concerns he dealt with, and he's only 21.

Ludicrous Speed is offline   Reply With Quote