HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks looking to move up in draft?

Old
06-01-2011, 02:39 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

vCash: 500
Sharks looking to move up in draft?

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Brian...bits/153/36147

Yes its hockeybuzz, but its not eklund and the guy was at the combine i believe it says

Ryan Strome met with 8 teams Florida, Minnesota, Buffalo, Ottawa, Colorado, San Jose, Atlanta

7/8 teams other then SJ missed the playoffs and are picking in the 2-11 range (Colorado having 2 picks. Buffalo also could be looking to move up as they lack a true #1 centre.

It just seems weird for me that SJ would spend time and resources interviewing a guy that had about a 0.25% chance of falling down to their pick, unless they had intentions of trading up to grab him.

Especially since Shane Prince wasnt interviewed by SJ

Read this on the Trade Tak forum

http://blog.dispatch.com/cbj/2011/05...s_stayin.shtml

Columbus says they wish to move #8 for an established player.

They are also not a team that interviewed Strome...

Last edited by CommanderShepard15: 06-01-2011 at 03:05 PM.
CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:01 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 141
Heatley for 8th overall.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:04 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

It's a head fake. They're really after Dougie

It disappoints me that you can write a lyric very flippantly—and not a particularly good lyric—and it can mean so much to so many people. That's disillusioning for a writer - George Michael, Careless Whisper
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:05 PM
hockeyball

I'm sure SJ (and any team) is always considering moving up. Maybe they like a few guys higher in the draft and they were interviewing simply to see if they do want to consider moving up.

Basically, it probably doesn't mean a whole lot.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Janney

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I'm sure SJ (and any team) is always considering moving up. Maybe they like a few guys higher in the draft and they were interviewing simply to see if they do want to consider moving up.

Basically, it probably doesn't mean a whole lot.
Then again lets not underestimate DW's "we'll do whatever to get our guy" motto. But yeah I pretty much agree with you that every team is generally looking to move up. I doubt any GM just sits around twiddling their thumbs and hoping for the best.

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 03:48 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

oh god. everyone's going to get hung up on Dougie Hamilton the same way they were on Etem/Toffoli/Bennett last year. That way when the Sharks don't draft him we can all riot and proclaim that whoever does get picked was a bad choice and a waste.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:02 PM
JonathanK81

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
oh god. everyone's going to get hung up on Dougie Hamilton the same way they were on Etem/Toffoli/Bennett last year. That way when the Sharks don't draft him we can all riot and proclaim that whoever does get picked was a bad choice and a waste.
Well if it counts Nem, I was hung-up on Jarred Tinordi, not that I thought the Sharks ever had a chance at him. Though Charlie Coyle hasn't turned out all that bad...

JonathanK81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:08 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by param View Post
Then again lets not underestimate DW's "we'll do whatever to get our guy" motto. But yeah I pretty much agree with you that every team is generally looking to move up. I doubt any GM just sits around twiddling their thumbs and hoping for the best.
Yes all GMs hope to move up.
But i find it odd that out of all the players there we interview a guy who only is interviewing with high high picks (and buffalo) to me that tells me DW is trying harder then alot of GMs to move, as he feels Strome is worth giving up assets for.

Most GMs dont interview guys projected to go 20 spots ahead of your drafting position.

Old
06-01-2011, 04:17 PM
5H4RK5

Moving up for the next great grinder. Rounds 1-3 should be reserved for top 6 potential or 2 way dmen.

5H4RK5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:40 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5H4RK5 View Post
Moving up for the next great grinder. Rounds 1-3 should be reserved for top 6 potential or 2 way dmen.
Are you saying you think Strome will be a grinder

Old
06-01-2011, 04:47 PM
Lebanezer

Hamilton and Jurco, that would be sweet. Of course, I don't care who they draft as long as they turn into high level nhlers. Though it would be nice to draft a dman who turns out to be a stud.

Lebanezer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 04:59 PM
magic school bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
Are you saying you think Strome will be a grinder
i thought he was making a joke about Pierre McGuire calling Charlie Coyle a 3rd liner on draft day.

Old
06-01-2011, 05:11 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
i thought he was making a joke about Pierre McGuire calling Charlie Coyle a 3rd liner on draft day.
Oops if so my bad. i also thought afterwords he might be making a joke about how Sharks usually take grinders in round 1. But...

Old
06-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Le Rosbeef

People will pull a muscle with all the leaping to conclusions here...

Stating that he's investing time/resources into this which seem disproportionate sounds very convincing, but seriously - what exactly is the burden? This could be as much about mind games or option evaluation as anything.

Besides, what have we got that would be useful to CBJ enough to move up to 8? Nobody wants to trade a top 6 forward (... no, for the 100th time, it won't be Heatley...) and we're threadbare enough on D without worsening it.

Pipe dreams, ya'll. And while the speculation is fun, there are posters on this board who read this stuff verbatim and will then seek to crucify Wilson for 'not following through' on draft day when nothing happens... Perspective.

Le Rosbeef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-01-2011, 05:14 PM
sr228

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckInTheNet View Post
Yes all GMs hope to move up.
But i find it odd that out of all the players there we interview a guy who only is interviewing with high high picks (and buffalo) to me that tells me DW is trying harder then alot of GMs to move, as he feels Strome is worth giving up assets for.

Most GMs dont interview guys projected to go 20 spots ahead of your drafting position.
Those aren't the only teams Strome will interview with, the interviews run through Thursday night.

I don't think the fact that the Sharks interviewed him means much of anything except that the org. is doing their 'due diligence'.

Quite a few of the 'top' draft picks are interviewing with a lot of the teams. Like Landeskog who interviewed with at least 16 teams and he's projected to go top 5.

Players from around the 9 or 10 spot through at least 30 are all going to be good players w/o any standing out much more than the others. The Sharks should take the time to interview anyone they think may be available to them.

sr228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:45 PM
sweHockeypunk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Heatley for 8th overall.
Then sign Brad Richards to Heatleys contract

Marleau-Thornton-Setoguchi
Mitchell-Richards-Pavelski
Mcginn/Ferriero-Couture-Clowe

sweHockeypunk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:13 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Sharks always chat with kids they like -- regardless of where they think the kid will be picked.

First, it's a long term strategy. They may pick the guy up on waivers, via trade or in free agency, if they don't draft him. The scouts put all their notes in a huge (proprietary -- so don't even think about being able to see it) electronic database. When a guy's name comes up in trade/etc., talk, they'll look up their notes.

Second, it may be a part of the decision to move up. A kid whose play has impressed them, and they have good notes/input from support folks (family, billet, coach, etc.), the interview may be the tipping point.

Third, subterfuge. Never put it past the Sharks brass that they'll talk with 50 kids to hide their top guys. IIRC, they even chatted with Crosby, even though they knew that they wouldn't have a good chance to draft him. And talking with a kid that you know another team is interested in may allow you to do a deal to allow that team to pick him (and improve you down the road).

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:16 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweHockeypunk21 View Post

Yes. Get the Sharks out of the cap screw by unloading Heatley, then put them right back in it by loading up at the one postion the team unquestionably does not need more of...

Old
06-04-2011, 11:02 PM
magic school bus

^

Old
06-05-2011, 03:34 AM
Janney

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Rosbeef View Post
People will pull a muscle with all the leaping to conclusions here...

Stating that he's investing time/resources into this which seem disproportionate sounds very convincing, but seriously - what exactly is the burden? This could be as much about mind games or option evaluation as anything.

Besides, what have we got that would be useful to CBJ enough to move up to 8? Nobody wants to trade a top 6 forward (... no, for the 100th time, it won't be Heatley...) and we're threadbare enough on D without worsening it.

Pipe dreams, ya'll. And while the speculation is fun, there are posters on this board who read this stuff verbatim and will then seek to crucify Wilson for 'not following through' on draft day when nothing happens... Perspective.
Pssh...whatever, I say if DW can't get us RNH, then off with his head!

Janney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 07:37 AM
WedgeAntilles*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweHockeypunk21 View Post

Or better yet, just trade Heatley for Richards...

WedgeAntilles* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 06:15 PM
SacLandshark

there are only 3 top 3 picks in any given year, but there are numerous diamonds in the rough throughout the prospects. I think many GM offices work on identifying those diamonds that no one else sees more than working on ways to move up in the draft.

SacLandshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 06:30 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeAntilles View Post
Or better yet, just trade Heatley for Richards...
and that leads us right back to what I said before:

Quote:
Yes. Get the Sharks out of the cap screw by unloading Heatley, then put them right back in it by loading up at the one postion the team unquestionably does not need more of...
Oh, and Richards' contract is up and he's already said that he's testing free agency, so trading for his rights is irrelevant

Old
06-05-2011, 06:42 PM
Mafoofoo
Jawesome

Quote:
No it's fine Richards will sign for 3mil.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-05-2011, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Sharks always chat with kids they like -- regardless of where they think the kid will be picked.

First, it's a long term strategy. They may pick the guy up on waivers, via trade or in free agency, if they don't draft him. The scouts put all their notes in a huge (proprietary -- so don't even think about being able to see it) electronic database. When a guy's name comes up in trade/etc., talk, they'll look up their notes.

Second, it may be a part of the decision to move up. A kid whose play has impressed them, and they have good notes/input from support folks (family, billet, coach, etc.), the interview may be the tipping point.

Third, subterfuge. Never put it past the Sharks brass that they'll talk with 50 kids to hide their top guys. IIRC, they even chatted with Crosby, even though they knew that they wouldn't have a good chance to draft him. And talking with a kid that you know another team is interested in may allow you to do a deal to allow that team to pick him (and improve you down the road).
#1 is the actual answer...and the info they gather is also used against the player when it's time to play him.

210 is offline   Reply With Quote