HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

habs willing to move down to gain a 2nd rd pick

Old
06-02-2011, 04:45 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Cody Franson and both of our seconds (38 and 52) for your first and the RFA rights to Andrei Kostitsyn
Sergei played well in Nashville but keep the Kostitsyn brothers separated. You're asking for trouble by bringing them together again

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:00 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

SJ might be interested if Scott Mayfield is still on the board.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Well, a number of scouts have said picks 15 - 40 are rather interchangable, so if Montreal doesn't really care for any of the guys on the board when their pick comes up, they may be happy with getting later compensation picks. Not a parallel universe, it depends on if they feel they can do just as good with 3 later picks as one earlier pick.
which would mean Mtl only needs 3 of the 14 1st picks to be out of the box for them to grab what those scouts believe to be a player from a better tier...

Considering it happen every single draft... moving down to 20 or so doesnt seems like the lateral move you are claming it to be. no?

Anksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:19 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Sergei played well in Nashville but keep the Kostitsyn brothers separated. You're asking for trouble by bringing them together again
AK is kind of a weirdoh, but he has never been seen as a troublemaker in Montreal, unlike his little brother.

But that's not even taking into account how Montreal has ZERO interest in the deal proposed by that Preds fan.

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:13 PM
Zeroknowledge*

If Montreal gets Ottawa's 21st and 35th they'd have to add their 3th or 4th pick.

Zeroknowledge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
Cody Franson and both of our seconds (38 and 52) for your first and the RFA rights to Andrei Kostitsyn
Done, in less then a second to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
The dynamic is quite different in Nashville. Sergei was always disgruntled he was not allowed consistent time in the NHL, let alone on the top line. I cannot entirely fault him for that frankly because he was misused here. Unfortunately, he handled it terribly. This would not be the case for the Preds and I am willing to bet the two brothers would preform well. No, not even close to the Sedins like some Hab fans envisioned but admirable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
But that's not even taking into account how Montreal has ZERO interest in the deal proposed by that Preds fan.
That is blatantly false. Kostitsyn has been hugely inconsistent for us, where Cody Franson would solidify our defense for the next five years. The kid has high potential as a shutdown defenseman and his contract is easily management and would make Wisniewski expandable. That is a massive clear up for us to pursue alternatives to AK via free agency.

Markov - Subban
Franson - Yemlin (sp?)
Gorges - Gill
Weber

Yes, please.

Last edited by Bourne Endeavor: 06-02-2011 at 06:28 PM.
Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:34 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

If habs management feels that selecting two lower ranked players rather than one higher ranked will alllow them to more efficiently address their needs, than I say go for it as long as they are relatively certain that the players they intend to draft will still be available on the turn they receive.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
That is blatantly false. Kostitsyn has been hugely inconsistent for us, where Cody Franson would solidify our defense for the next five years. The kid has high potential as a shutdown defenseman and his contract is easily management and would make Wisniewski expandable. That is a massive clear up for us to pursue alternatives to AK via free agency.

Markov - Subban
Franson - Yemlin (sp?)
Gorges - Gill
Weber

Yes, please.
This tells me you don't really know much about Cody Franson. I like a few things about this guy he's huge but he's much more about offense than a shutdown type of D. For some reason, I've recently seen him in a lot of Preds proposals, and while he certainly is not garbage and still young at nearly 24 years-old, I don't find him consistent enough defensively to be that appealing for the Habs, considering they already have enough young, offensive-minded right-hand D's on their squad.

I also happen to appreciate AK's value much more than you, and even if it wouldn't depress me to see him traded, I would want full value, which is one of a young, physically gifted top-six winger. I really don't mind hanging on to him if this is the best offer on the table. Therefore, I really don't think the players in this proposal justify the downgrade from 17th to 38th, even with the other pick involved.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipitar View Post
This tells me you don't really know much about Cody Franson. I like a few things about this guy he's huge but he's much more about offense than a shutdown type of D. For some reason, I've recently seen him in a lot of Preds proposals, and while he certainly is not garbage and still young at nearly 24 years-old, I don't find him consistent enough defensively to be that appealing for the Habs, considering they already have enough young, offensive-minded right-hand D's on their squad.

I also happen to appreciate AK's value much more than you, and even if it wouldn't depress me to see him traded, I would want full value, which is one of a young, physically gifted top-six winger. I really don't mind hanging on to him if this is the best offer on the table. Therefore, I really don't think the players in this proposal justify the downgrade from 17th to 38th, even with the other pick involved.
He has an offensive upside, which I find all the more appealing but against Vancouver he was quite solid defensively and considering who he was matching up against, that says something. Personally, I find he is shadowed behind the fantastic pairing of Weber and Suter, and would do well here. Granted, I concede to not following his game specifically.

Aye, my opinion of AK has never been high. He is arguably worth his contract provided it remains on the low side of three million but he is inconsistent, remarkably so. We have hung on to him for what, five seasons now, and he has not become the impact player we envisioned ever. His best season was when Kovalev exploded. I think it is time we move on and attempt to obtain another asset to develop. Franson fits nicely with our defensive mindset and would solidify the back end for years.

As for the draft drop. Most analysts are predicting a noticeable decline after the top picks go. I do not believe going to 38th will impact us that poorly.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 08:28 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by onice View Post
This is not the same player. The Habs drafted a forward.
so we've been told.....one of your Habs bretheren initially brought it up and alas I was too lazy to fact-check it, only because of course he sounded so absolutely sure in his conviction about the matter. He may have been proven wrong but the beat still goes on

therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:41 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
He has an offensive upside, which I find all the more appealing but against Vancouver he was quite solid defensively and considering who he was matching up against, that says something. Personally, I find he is shadowed behind the fantastic pairing of Weber and Suter, and would do well here. Granted, I concede to not following his game specifically.

Aye, my opinion of AK has never been high. He is arguably worth his contract provided it remains on the low side of three million but he is inconsistent, remarkably so. We have hung on to him for what, five seasons now, and he has not become the impact player we envisioned ever. His best season was when Kovalev exploded. I think it is time we move on and attempt to obtain another asset to develop. Franson fits nicely with our defensive mindset and would solidify the back end for years.

As for the draft drop. Most analysts are predicting a noticeable decline after the top picks go. I do not believe going to 38th will impact us that poorly.
I respect your points, and in the end it's just a matter of opinions, but I still disagree with yours.

Quoted after a minute search on the Preds board: "Get rid of Franson. He has the instincts of a musk ox out there. He doesn't know how to read a play." That's the impression I get of him as well (without having seen him play as often as any casual Preds fan, of course). I know he picked up his game in the playoffs, but let's not be fooled by such a small sample size either.

While he's a physical phenom, he just doesn't seem to be using his body that much, or he will use it for a while, and then disappear physically for even longer. At this point, I'd be more interested in some of their other young D's.

As for AK, one of the main issues we all have as Habs fans, is that we KNOW he can be a top-line winger, but he's only been able to show that in flashes. I've lowered my expectation on him i.e. the "top-six winger" tag and when you see him that way, it really helps to appreciate what he's able to bring, instead of focusing on what he should be.

I understand the fact this year's prospect pool becomes kind of a crapshoot after a top-15 with higher upside, but going from 17th to 38th is still quite steep in my opinion.

Anyway, as some have suggested already, these kinds of move can only happen on draft day when you actually know if you're able or not to pick the guy you covet the most at your current draft position.