Fraser with his 21st tonight

Old
01-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Alistar

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennrocks View Post
Fraser with his 21st tonight
If he can score 20 goals in less than 40 games in the AHL, he can score atleast 20 goals in a full NHL season. Why isn't this guy on the team right now besides the Texas Stars desperately needing him for their own team?

Old
01-19-2012, 12:26 AM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
If he can score 20 goals in less than 40 games in the AHL, he can score atleast 20 goals in a full NHL season. Why isn't this guy on the team right now besides the Texas Stars desperately needing him for their own team?
What?

Alex Giroux says hi.
Corey Locke says hi.

The only time I would ever say someone in the AHL scoring like that is a lock for 20 goals in the NHL is right now with Palmieri. Scoring at a GPG pace in one of the most competitive leagues in the world (top 5, arguably) is quite a feat.

But he definitely deserves a chance in the top 6 up in Dallas. He sure does know how to score.

Old
01-19-2012, 12:50 AM
WhoahNow

Give him time, let Fraser develop his defensive game a little. Maybe by next year he will be ready to challenge for a spot in the top 6, but there`s no time rushing him.

Old
01-19-2012, 01:51 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 27750
Another 2 points for Glennie.

You know, yeah there's the thing about him not showing up for the 1st half of seasons... but both he and Sceviour were struggling mightily there for a while. They didn't click instantly. It was arguably a bigger shock for Sceviour to not be scoring. Now he's pretty much back at his normal clip and Glennie is producing alongside him. Sometimes chemistry takes time.

Old
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
Alistar

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
What?

Alex Giroux says hi.
Corey Locke says hi.

The only time I would ever say someone in the AHL scoring like that is a lock for 20 goals in the NHL is right now with Palmieri. Scoring at a GPG pace in one of the most competitive leagues in the world (top 5, arguably) is quite a feat.

But he definitely deserves a chance in the top 6 up in Dallas. He sure does know how to score.
There's a difference between journeyman AHL players that have been in that league for 5-10 years and a guy doing it his first time round as one of the youngest players on the league.

Old
01-19-2012, 10:50 AM
Bennrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Another 2 points for Glennie.

You know, yeah there's the thing about him not showing up for the 1st half of seasons... but both he and Sceviour were struggling mightily there for a while. They didn't click instantly. It was arguably a bigger shock for Sceviour to not be scoring. Now he's pretty much back at his normal clip and Glennie is producing alongside him. Sometimes chemistry takes time.
Glennie will still be a bust if he manages to become a PPG allstar center

Old
01-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Dr GLU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistar View Post
Why isn't this guy on the team right now besides the Texas Stars desperately needing him for their own team?
That ugly -12 might have something to do with it.

Old
01-21-2012, 12:01 AM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Glennie with a Goal tonight, and Fraser with 4 Assists. This kid's awesome.

http://hundreddegreehockey.blogspot....-2-margin.html

Old
01-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Sports
bedroom eyes

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Glennie with a Goal tonight, and Fraser with 4 Assists. This kid's awesome.

http://hundreddegreehockey.blogspot....-2-margin.html
If Glennie ends up becoming something, this board is going to need a crow buffet.

Old
01-21-2012, 10:02 AM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Undecided View Post
If Glennie ends up becoming something, this board is going to need a crow buffet.
I'll show up if/when the time comes.

Still waiting.

01-21-2012, 10:58 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

My post history will say I've been ambivalent about Glennie neither a supporter or detractor. I still have some hope but have never been a fan of the pick. Regardless him turning it on down the stretch is a really good thing.

Fraser on the other hand I am beginning to have huge hopes for. I pray that his defensive ability improves because that's the main thing keeping him out of the NHL right now.

Last edited by Hull Fan: 01-21-2012 at 02:12 PM.
Old
01-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Glennie has always looked like a project pick, imo. Always figured it would take at least 3 years to know for sure what he would be. Probably why he got so many detractors, everybody expects a 1st round pick (especially in the top ten) to not be a project.

Old
01-24-2012, 07:58 PM
MB94
@MBFarina94

Texas Stars are on a hot streak and are now only 2 points away from 8th place in a tight conference this year!

http://www.defendingbigd.com/2012/1/...reak#storyjump

Raycroft is having success in the AHL and looks like Glennie is starting to look like a 8th overall pick (still a long way to go, but at least he is showing something finally). I never doubted Glennie and I still think he will be a solid top 6 player whether it's for us or another team.

Old
01-24-2012, 08:03 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

I'm concerned about the amount of starts Raycroft is getting. It's great that he's no longer hurting us at the NHL level, but if he winds up stunting Besko's development then it's no net gain at all for the organization.

Old
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
I'm concerned about the amount of starts Raycroft is getting. It's great that he's no longer hurting us at the NHL level, but if he winds up stunting Besko's development then it's no net gain at all for the organization.
Raycroft will be gone after this year anyways and it'll be Campbell and Besko at Cedar Park I'd have to think. I don't see this as stunting Besko's growth that much. I don't see it as a big hinderance to his development just yet.

Old
01-26-2012, 10:38 AM
Uncle Machete

Dan Spang is heavily rumored to have agreed to a contract with Swedish team Modo Hockey and that Modo is currently negotiating with Texas regarding his release.

What can you tell me about Dan? What can we expect from him if the transfer goes through?

Old
01-26-2012, 11:12 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
He's incredibly selfish and is a hot head.

Old
01-28-2012, 09:58 PM
crawz87

Raycroft stops a season high 42 of 44 shots, Texas stars still lose 3-1 (one empty net goal) against Baron. He is now 6-4-1 on the season, with a 9.10 save % and a 2.66 GA

Old
01-30-2012, 12:39 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

I don't think this was talked about at the time, but I was doing some research on potential free agents in juniors which led me to look up Tristan King's stats and apparently he was assigned to Ontario of the ECHL back in November. This coming after a single game stint at ECHL Greenville. Weird, right? Why would the Stars assign one of their prospects under contract to 2 non-affiliates? Well I dug up this interview that sheds a little light on it -
What was the plan for you at the beginning of the season?

The plan was to stay up in Texas [the Texas Stars, Dallas' AHL affiliate] and stay there, but obviously that didn't work. So I went to Idaho, tried to work my way back up. Things there were kind of, a little shaky from last year. Stuff going on there that I really didn't like it too much. Tried to get a new fresh start for me. It was either here or Greenville. I went to Greenville and I didn't play. I sat four games in a row. That obviously wasn't what I was looking for. The coach here, (Jason) Christie, called my agent and said this would be a good place for me, said that I'd get the opportunity.

Things were kind of shaky? Stuff going on that he didn't like? No idea what that means other than there was some sort of personal conflict between he and the Idaho staff. It sounds like the impetus for the re-assignment(s) came from his own agent and the Stars just rubber-stamped it and evidently had no problem getting rid of him. Are they just counting down the days until his ill-advised ELC expires?

It's kind of a weird situation in general with Idaho. There are only 2 Stars prospects playing there, 1 of whom has zero future here in Neal, and Coyle as the other who is a long-shot to do anything. It seems in general there's not much point to even having an ECHL affiliate if you don't currently have a goaltending prospect at that stage of development. Especially since you can just assign your players anywhere regardless of affiliation.

Old
01-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Steelhead16

Quote:
I don't think this was talked about at the time, but I was doing some research on potential free agents in juniors which led me to look up Tristan King's stats and apparently he was assigned to Ontario of the ECHL back in November. This coming after a single game stint at ECHL Greenville. Weird, right? Why would the Stars assign one of their prospects under contract to 2 non-affiliates? Well I dug up this interview that sheds a little light on it -
What was the plan for you at the beginning of the season?

The plan was to stay up in Texas [the Texas Stars, Dallas' AHL affiliate] and stay there, but obviously that didn't work. So I went to Idaho, tried to work my way back up. Things there were kind of, a little shaky from last year. Stuff going on there that I really didn't like it too much. Tried to get a new fresh start for me. It was either here or Greenville. I went to Greenville and I didn't play. I sat four games in a row. That obviously wasn't what I was looking for. The coach here, (Jason) Christie, called my agent and said this would be a good place for me, said that I'd get the opportunity.

Things were kind of shaky? Stuff going on that he didn't like? No idea what that means other than there was some sort of personal conflict between he and the Idaho staff. It sounds like the impetus for the re-assignment(s) came from his own agent and the Stars just rubber-stamped it and evidently had no problem getting rid of him. Are they just counting down the days until his ill-advised ELC expires?

It's kind of a weird situation in general with Idaho. There are only 2 Stars prospects playing there, 1 of whom has zero future here in Neal, and Coyle as the other who is a long-shot to do anything. It seems in general there's not much point to even having an ECHL affiliate if you don't currently have a goaltending prospect at that stage of development. Especially since you can just assign your players anywhere regardless of affiliation.

It's a very strange situation here, this year especially. We have a coach without a clue and I am guessing that word has come from guys like Besko, Derlago, Mouillierat, Neal not to send anyone here. I'm guessing that if you took a poll of players here this year whether they would come back next year if Sauter is still here it would be a resounding NO.They don't practice, they have no offensive or defensive systems. He lost the room by November which was amazing to me and doesn't seem to care about getting it back. Their leading scorer and potential ECHL Rookie of the Year left for Europe to play for a team with only 5 games left in their season. Injured players put in zero effort to come back. In 15 years, no matter how bad a team or how long a bad streak goes I have never heard the fans boo the coach during introductions ever. That started in December and hasn't gotten any quieter.

If a player wants to further his hockey career Hardy Saauter is not the guy that will make that happen.The fact that he lasted only 2 years in the WHL should have been a red flag but the front office is just as clueless as the coach. I have never seen a sports organization care less about their proguct than the Steelheads front office does. I've had the president tell me to my face that they aren't here to make money. They don't care if they win or lose or if anyone shows up. Two great coaches were here before Sauter and both left and went to Juniors. John Olver still lives here and coaches a team in the WSHL so he didn't leave to take a step up, he just got out.

I hope the Stars can have some sort of positive effect on things going forward and step in and get changes made. But more likely they won't renew their deal and move on.

As far as Tristan KIng goes. He is finally putting up numbers in Ontario but he won't go anywhere in the Stars organization. He's a diva. He has a lot of skill but it seems like when the going gets tough he looks for an easier path instead of busting his butt and proving his worth. Neal is the same way. Both think they are above being in the ECHL, yet neither stand out in a positive way when they play there.

Old
01-30-2012, 10:32 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Wow our farm system is really in shambles right now. We have coaches players don't like, and the work ethic for both teams seems to be pretty terrible.

Apparently Texas is picking up the pace here now, though.

Really hoping that next season there are coaching changes across all of our levels (minus NHL) We NEED to have a better farm.

Old
01-30-2012, 12:22 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
I hope the Stars can have some sort of positive effect on things going forward and step in and get changes made. But more likely they won't renew their deal and move on.
Fascinating post, thanks. It's interesting that on the one hand the Stars seem to be trying to move closer in their relationship with Idaho by holding training camp there next fall, yet the developmental climate seems to be deteriorating. How much influence does an NHL team really have on the hockey operations of an ECHL club?

In general it feels like there's been some drift with both affiliates. When the Texas Stars were founded both clubs hailed the partnership as something that would move closely in sync, playing similar systems/styles and sharing an overall philosophy. That's the ideal that many NHL teams try to achieve with their farm club -- a smooth transition all the way up the ladder for their prospects, plug and play. But it didn't pan out that way. First with the offensively-minded Crawford working at cross-purposes to Gulutzan and now basically the reverse happening with the defensive Gulutzan and the free-wheeling Pyle failing to compliment each other. Nieuwendyk has to take some responsibility for not running a tight enough ship in this regard.

Old
01-30-2012, 12:45 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
He probably has no control over who the farm teams hire in terms of coaches. I didn't think that the Texas Stars management was included in the sale to Gaglardi...

Old
01-30-2012, 12:50 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

Make no mistake, Pyle was hired by the Dallas Stars' front office primarily, with consultation from Scott White.

Closed Thread