HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part III (Dallas Not Offering Contract)

View Poll Results: What is the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you would pay Brad Richards?
$6 over 5 years 17 13.39%
$6.5 over 6 years 18 14.17%
$7 over 6 years 41 32.28%
$7 over 7 years 17 13.39%
$7.5 over 7 years 23 18.11%
$7.5 over 8 years 4 3.15%
$8 over 8 years 1 0.79%
$8.5 over 8 years 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-05-2011, 09:52 AM
  #276
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,919
vCash: 50
If the difference between 6.5 and 7.5 mil a year in cap hits is the difference between landing the possibility of a PPG center versus settling for trading good assets away (Like very possibly Anisimov and MDZ) for a 1B like Weiss, I'm coughing up the cash.

Not convinced that the 1 mil is going to break us in future. This is an organization that is considering giving a defenseman in Gilroy who should be earning league minimum a 2.1 mil contract. Thats 1.5 mil right there.

__________________
"I have something better than proof: I have anecdotal evidence."
Fitzy is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 09:52 AM
  #277
Pugs35
Registered User
 
Pugs35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 1,050
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
He's a 50 point player and you have no idea what he's going to get paid. He's certainly got an upside and he's an option as a UFA if we don't sign Richards.
He's a 50 point player playing behind guys like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin and the like. He's going to get way overpaid and I want no part of him for that. No thanks.

Pugs35 is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 09:53 AM
  #278
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Well, calling Weiss a 60 point player is being generous of my since he hasn't scratched that in a couple of years. The Rangers have a bunch of players with his potential...it doesn't exactly hurt anything but it doesn't help enough IMO
Right, the most i'd give up for weiss would be this years 1st and gilroy, and a b-level prospect. Anything other than that and it's just not going to be worth it. That probably wouldn't be enough for him but we shoudln't be held ransom just because we didn't want to pay richards what he allegedly wants.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 09:56 AM
  #279
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
If he's going into free agency, he'll be overpaid - no question.
He had 48 points last year, in a contract year, on washington.
We have people in the system who can put up those numbers. We had one last year, and he is 5 years younger than laich.
no. thanks.

We don't need 50 point players. We need 75+ point players.
And how many of those are available, exactly?

We had ONE 50+ point player last season. I get that we had injuries, etc...

Laich is an option if his contract is reasonable and Richards can't be signed. I'm sure the Rangers are looking at it the same way. Laich has had 160 points in his last 242 regular season games and plays well when it matters.

I'm not advocating getting him at any cost. Only if it's reasonable AND we don't get Richards.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 09:57 AM
  #280
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
We'll see some of those pro-Richards people start backing out now.
Yea thats it. If anything, with those confirmed plan B's, it makes it all the more important to sign Richards.

Giving up assets for Stephen Weiss/Patrick Sharp? Paying through the nose for Jason Spezza? That would be a nightmare.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 09:59 AM
  #281
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
He's a 50 point player playing behind guys like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Semin and the like. He's going to get way overpaid and I want no part of him for that. No thanks.
And, that entire team scored what, 100 goals less than the previous season and was shut out about a dozen times? (I'm not looking it up, but I believe those numbers are pretty close).

It's not like we have tons of offense and don't need help up front. He's an option if Richards falls through.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 09:59 AM
  #282
Fitzy
All Is Well
 
Fitzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 19,919
vCash: 50
I rarely commit to absolutes in hockey, but I am absolutely certain that Brooks Laich would not be a 50 point player on the Rangers.

A nice 35 point contributor with some grit and a little skill, certainly. But I'd give him no more than 2.75 per and that will not win him on the open market. With the cap going up he is looking at a hefty overpayment.

Fitzy is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:00 AM
  #283
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I rarely commit to absolutes in hockey, but I am absolutely certain that Brooks Laich would not be a 50 point player on the Rangers.

A nice 35 point contributor with some grit and a little skill, certainly. But I'd give him no more than 2.75 per and that will not win him on the open market. With the cap going up he is looking at a hefty overpayment.
Maybe. 2.75 is about what I was thinking. He CERTAINLY doesn't make our team worse.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:01 AM
  #284
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
And how many of those are available, exactly?

We had ONE 50+ point player last season. I get that we had injuries, etc...

Laich is an option if his contract is reasonable and Richards can't be signed. I'm sure the Rangers are looking at it the same way. Laich has had 160 points in his last 242 regular season games and plays well when it matters.

I'm not advocating getting him at any cost. Only if it's reasonable AND we don't get Richards.
Brooks Laich? How does he help this team? Completely redundant.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:02 AM
  #285
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,433
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
I rarely commit to absolutes in hockey, but I am absolutely certain that Brooks Laich would not be a 50 point player on the Rangers.

A nice 35 point contributor with some grit and a little skill, certainly. But I'd give him no more than 2.75 per and that will not win him on the open market. With the cap going up he is looking at a hefty overpayment.
Brooks Laich is a classic example of Sather overpayment. Give a borderline 2nd liner $4MM annually, then get angry when he doesn't produce to his expected salary. He'll probably take a bit of a discount to stay in Washington, but if not, that is exactly what will happen to whomever signs Laich. Just watching him, you know he's not a 50 point player on a team with normal offensive talent.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:02 AM
  #286
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Brooks Laich? How does he help this team? Completely redundant.
I disagree.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:03 AM
  #287
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If the difference between 6.5 and 7.5 mil a year in cap hits is the difference between landing the possibility of a PPG center versus settling for trading good assets away (Like very possibly Anisimov and MDZ) for a 1B like Weiss, I'm coughing up the cash.

Not convinced that the 1 mil is going to break us in future. This is an organization that is considering giving a defenseman in Gilroy who should be earning league minimum a 2.1 mil contract. Thats 1.5 mil right there.
I'm 100% in agreement. $7.5m cap hit was my breaking point, but I was also willing to go more than 5 years.

If Brooks is right, and in light of the recent quotes from Richards' agent which could be read as him chasing the money, I'd say the Rangers chances of landing Richards are slim to none.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:04 AM
  #288
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Brooks Laich is a classic example of Sather overpayment. Give a borderline 2nd liner $4MM annually, then get angry when he doesn't produce to his expected salary. He'll probably take a bit of a discount to stay in Washington, but if not, that is exactly what will happen to whomever signs Laich. Just watching him, you know he's not a 50 point player on a team with normal offensive talent.
This ^ infinity.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:05 AM
  #289
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
The only contingency plan that isnt a disaster is trading for Spezza, who is a very very good player. But at what cost? The Danny Heatley situation got messy between Sather and Bryan Murray. This would be even worse - Murray would be looking for quite a ransom.

Think Anisimov, Del Zotto, Wolski (more for salary purposes), and a 1st. something like that.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:07 AM
  #290
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
And how many of those are available, exactly?

We had ONE 50+ point player last season. I get that we had injuries, etc...

Laich is an option if his contract is reasonable and Richards can't be signed. I'm sure the Rangers are looking at it the same way. Laich has had 160 points in his last 242 regular season games and plays well when it matters.

I'm not advocating getting him at any cost. Only if it's reasonable AND we don't get Richards.
Had 160 points....on a high powered washington team. He had 48 last year. We had 3 players at 48 or better, 2 of them are younger than laich. He's redundant.

95% of players who hit free agency will be overpaid. Some team will look at his numbers pre-this season and blow a money load on him. He's never been proven outside of washington's highly offensive situation.

again, spend just to spend is not a reasonable option. we have players like that in the system and already playing on the team. Stepan had 45 points - he's seven years younger than laich and scored only 3 less on a poor offensive team. Artem has 44 points, 5 years younger than laich and 4 points less on a poor offensive team.


he. is. redundant.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:08 AM
  #291
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,433
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The only contingency plan that isnt a disaster is trading for Spezza, who is a very very good player. But at what cost? The Danny Heatley situation got messy between Sather and Bryan Murray. This would be even worse - Murray would be looking for quite a ransom.

Think Anisimov, Del Zotto, Wolski (more for salary purposes), and a 1st. something like that.
I would definitely consider that, and you all know how big of an AA fan I am.

Thing is, why would Sather trade for Spezza, who makes more than what he is reportedly willing to give Richards? It doesn't make any sense, as Richards is the better player, and less of an injury risk.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:08 AM
  #292
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
I disagree.
Obviousy, I just cant understand why for the life of me.

Overpaying for basically a 3rd line left wing with inflated stats thanks to playing on an offensively gifted team. Not only is that a bad move for the organization, but its probably the worst type of thing they could be doing right now.

Richards should be priority #1. If he doesnt sign here, kick the tires on a deal for a center. If nothings there, just dont do anything.

It boggles the mind that people are advocating signing guys like Laich and Fleischmann. What a disaster that would be.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:10 AM
  #293
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
The only contingency plan that isnt a disaster is trading for Spezza, who is a very very good player. But at what cost? The Danny Heatley situation got messy between Sather and Bryan Murray. This would be even worse - Murray would be looking for quite a ransom.

Think Anisimov, Del Zotto, Wolski (more for salary purposes), and a 1st. something like that.
Not a fan of Spezza at all. Yeah, he's talented, but he's an absolute enigma. Definitely not worth the cost of obtaining him (especially because I've always viewed Murray as being one of the few GMs that has a personality conflict with Sather -- I think we'd even have to pay more than other teams for Spezza).

Stastny is the only plan B that I would pursue after July 1, but there's no guarantee that he is even available, and even if he is, the cost would be substantial.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:10 AM
  #294
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Brooks Laich is a classic example of Sather overpayment. Give a borderline 2nd liner $4MM annually, then get angry when he doesn't produce to his expected salary. He'll probably take a bit of a discount to stay in Washington, but if not, that is exactly what will happen to whomever signs Laich. Just watching him, you know he's not a 50 point player on a team with normal offensive talent.
He scored 48 points on a team that this year was 19th in scoring and scored 10 fewer goals than the Rangers. He's not worth $4 million, but if he can be had for a reasonable contract, I'd snag him.

haohmaru is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:11 AM
  #295
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
He scored 48 points on a team that this year was 19th in scoring and scored 10 fewer goals than the Rangers. He's not worth $4 million, but if he can be had for a reasonable contract, I'd snag him.
Thank god you're not our GM then.

The Rangers are looking to add elite players, not role players.

DrSutton* is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:11 AM
  #296
Bleed Ranger Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 14,811
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
I would definitely consider that, and you all know how big of an AA fan I am.

Thing is, why would Sather trade for Spezza, who makes more than what he is reportedly willing to give Richards? It doesn't make any sense, as Richards is the better player, and less of an injury risk.
Beats me. Only rationale is that Spezza is 3 years younger, but its not like hes been durable over the past couple years.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:11 AM
  #297
azrok22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 9,440
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Obviousy, I just cant understand why for the life of me.

Overpaying for basically a 3rd line left wing with inflated stats thanks to playing on an offensively gifted team. Not only is that a bad move for the organization, but its probably the worst type of thing they could be doing right now.

Richards should be priority #1. If he doesnt sign here, kick the tires on a deal for a center. If nothings there, just dont do anything.

It boggles the mind that people are advocating signing guys like Laich and Fleischmann. What a disaster that would be.
Couldn't agree more. More mid-tier talent is the last thing this team needs. Go big or stay home.

azrok22 is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:12 AM
  #298
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,433
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by haohmaru View Post
He scored 48 points on a team that this year was 19th in scoring and scored 10 fewer goals than the Rangers. He's not worth $4 million, but if he can be had for a reasonable contract, I'd snag him.
He scored 48 points, playing a TON on the 1st PP unit. Yes, their PP was bad this year, but that just shows that if Washington isn't scoring, neither is Laich. The Rangers, without Richards, would most likely be, at best, a mid-range offensive team. Laich would come here and score ~40 points. He is redundant, and, honestly, a waste of cap space.

JeffMangum is offline  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:12 AM
  #299
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,202
vCash: 500
Awards:
I think Laich, for us, would probably be about a 15-25 guy. That's nice and all, but I can't foresee any circumstance where he's not grossly overpaid. Someone will give him way too much money for the stats he posted in Washington.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now  
Old
06-05-2011, 10:16 AM
  #300
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
We are getting to a point were we are maybe 3 pieces away. 3 ELITE pieces away but pieces none the less. If they aren't there in FA or a reasonable trade, do nothing until we can't wait any longer.

DrSutton* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.