HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part III (Dallas Not Offering Contract)

View Poll Results: What is the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you would pay Brad Richards?
$6 over 5 years 17 13.39%
$6.5 over 6 years 18 14.17%
$7 over 6 years 41 32.28%
$7 over 7 years 17 13.39%
$7.5 over 7 years 23 18.11%
$7.5 over 8 years 4 3.15%
$8 over 8 years 1 0.79%
$8.5 over 8 years 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2011, 11:05 AM
MPJohnny5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
so 6 years, 7 mil each or 7 years and around 6.3 a year? Either one of those i'll take. I'd do the first one to get him (the 7 mil is more attractive to him than 6.3) but I think he would want another year. 7 years 49 million I would do just to get him in Blue
7 x 7 if that's what it's gonna take get it done slats. We can't let this type of talent slip hrough our hands. Although it may be a little overpayment which is expected in free agency we have to do it. This isn't drury/ redden here where we instantly knew the contract was a bust and huge overpayment. Not the same player here guys, and were not going to acquire anything similar via trade without lOsing our core.

Old
06-05-2011, 11:21 AM
NYR Viper

I think it depends on the type of player you see the Rangers needing moving forward. IMO, Wolski should be moved. He doesn't fit here. If Kreider is not going to sign, the Rangers, without Wolski, have (1) LW on their NHL roster.

I think they bring Fedotenko back, so thats (2) LW's.

For me, there are (3) options that I would consider on LW that are UFA's:

Laich
Jokinen
Gagne

Depending on the deals they get I would be okay with all of them. They all bring something different.

Laich is a better player than many here are giving him credit for. Ryan Malone doesn't score a ton of points either, but he is a very important piece in TB and was the same player in Pitt.

Jokinen has very good speed and skills, but has some injury history and is not a big player.

Gagne has all-world offensive skills and he is a big body but his concussion history makes you wonder how much longer he can continue to play before he does SERIOUS damage to his brain.

Old
06-05-2011, 11:21 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT4Johnny View Post
7 x 7 if that's what it's gonna take get it done slats. We can't let this type of talent slip hrough our hands. Although it may be a little overpayment which is expected in free agency we have to do it. This isn't drury/ redden here where we instantly knew the contract was a bust and huge overpayment. Not the same player here guys, and were not going to acquire anything similar via trade without lOsing our core.
Sather would be silly to not budge on a 7-7.5 contract, he is well worth it. I can understand Sather saying 6.5 to maybe try to get into Richards head but if we can sign our RFA's before July 1st and see where we stand in cap space, it all changes

if we are left with around 9 mil in cap space, why not throw 7-7.5 at him?

Old
06-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I think it depends on the type of player you see the Rangers needing moving forward. IMO, Wolski should be moved. He doesn't fit here. If Kreider is not going to sign, the Rangers, without Wolski, have (1) LW on their NHL roster.

I think they bring Fedotenko back, so thats (2) LW's.

For me, there are (3) options that I would consider on LW that are UFA's:

Laich
Jokinen
Gagne

Depending on the deals they get I would be okay with all of them. They all bring something different.

Laich is a better player than many here are giving him credit for. Ryan Malone doesn't score a ton of points either, but he is a very important piece in TB and was the same player in Pitt.

Jokinen has very good speed and skills, but has some injury history and is not a big player.

Gagne has all-world offensive skills and he is a big body but his concussion history makes you wonder how much longer he can continue to play before he does SERIOUS damage to his brain.
You don't think he benefited at all from playing on a stacked Washington Capital roster with players such as Ovechkin, Semin, and Backstrom?

Old
06-05-2011, 11:28 AM
NYGBleedBlueNYR

Quote:
Exactly my thoughts... The guy has already made over $50 million in his career, would he really take an extra million a year to go to Toronto than take a million less to play here?

If I'm in Richards shoes and want to win, I take 6.5 to come to the NYR than take 7.5-8 to go to Toronto... The guy already has a boat load of money (50 like i said above) does he really need that extra 1 mil a year to make him happy.

Pro athletes are so greedy sometimes... And it pisses me the hell off!
In that logic why come here? BR could take less & go to Tampa, LA, Detroit .... Anywhere. How much is the cutoff that's acceptable in your eyes. Should he play for 1mil/yr in Vancouver?

It's easy to sit here & say he's made 50mil so taking 500k less is nothing. 500k is 500k no matter how much $ u have. Not to mention that would be 3-3.5mil total lost. If Toronto offers 8 & we offer 6.5 over 6yrs that's NINE MILLION DOLLARS lost.

Old
06-05-2011, 11:38 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYGBleedBlueNYR View Post
In that logic why come here? BR could take less & go to Tampa, LA, Detroit .... Anywhere. How much is the cutoff that's acceptable in your eyes. Should he play for 1mil/yr in Vancouver?

It's easy to sit here & say he's made 50mil so taking 500k less is nothing. 500k is 500k no matter how much $ u have. Not to mention that would be 3-3.5mil total lost. If Toronto offers 8 & we offer 6.5 over 6yrs that's NINE MILLION DOLLARS lost.
I'm putting Toronto and NYR in perspective. Of course he could take less and go to LA, Tampa, or Detroit if he wants to have an even better shot at winning. Now going back to the Toronto/NYR comparison, when you already have a **** load of money, 9 million dollars spread out over 6 years shouldn't be that big a deal to a player who has the money he has, unless he is just a greedy ****er. He would still be making 6.5 a year, is that not enough to play for a better team with a much better shot at a Cup than Toronto?

Old
06-05-2011, 11:39 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
You don't think he benefited at all from playing on a stacked Washington Capital roster with players such as Ovechkin, Semin, and Backstrom?
The Rangers had 233 Goals For this season.

The Caps had 224 Goals For this season.

The Rangers actually scored more goals as a team than the Caps.

Did it help him in past years? Maybe. I don't see him putting up 60 points again. But I dont think 50 would be out of the question, and with all that he brings, I dont think he would be the WORST investment to replace Wolski at about 3.5-3.75. He is a great character guy in the room and he plays a very complete game.

Old
06-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:

Did it help him in past years? Maybe. I don't see him putting up 60 points again. But I dont think 50 would be out of the question, and with all that he brings, I dont think he would be the WORST investment to replace Wolski at about 3.5-3.75. He is a great character guy in the room and he plays a very complete game.
All of what you just said is very understandable, don't get me wrong. Although...

If we were to sign Richards, I wouldn't mind signing Laich to play with him and Gaborik, but if we don't sign Richards, Laich would be the last of the 3 (Laich, Gagne, and Jokinen) I would want to sign... Just my opinion

Old
06-05-2011, 11:46 AM
mcsauer2738

Quote:

You're forgetting that he's not going to sign for just 1 year. 1 year of Wolski at 3.8>>>>>>>>>>4 years of laich at 3.8

Old
06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
You're forgetting that he's not going to sign for just 1 year. 1 year of Wolski at 3.8>>>>>>>>>>4 years of laich at 3.8
I'm not sure I agree with that. If Laich could be a consistent 50-55 point LWer, I would be okay with that. I think he has the skills and scoring touch to be that kind of player while still being effective even if he isn't scoring. Something Wolski can not do.

Old
06-05-2011, 11:54 AM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

I will be slightly disappointed but I won't be devastated if Richards doesn't sign here. I'm just not thrilled with paying out 7-8 million a year to Richards when he is 36-37-38.

Go back to the top 30 scorers in 2005-2006. These were the guys on that list who were over 30 years of age: Kariya, Sakic, Nylander, Naslund, Prospal, Selanne, Jagr, Alfredsson, Rolston, and Lidstrom.

Kariya, Sakic, Nylander, Naslund and Jagr are out of the league (Nylander in the AHL).

Alfredsson has been steadily declining.

Rolston is a 30 point player.

Prospal has been okay for the Rangers.

The only 2 out of that group that remain top players are Selanne and Lidstrom.

Old
06-05-2011, 12:22 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

i want him signed. having said that, knowing our luck i say if we sign him we will be regretting it in 2 years

Old
06-05-2011, 12:41 PM
CM PUNK

i agree with RB that this is a negotiating ploy. just like was said in the other thread about dubi asking for $4.5 when he's probably willing to take less. sather will say he's willing to go to $6.5 when he's probably willing to go higher.

that said, the concept of what brooks is saying sather is planning is called being smart. that is exactly what he should be doing. he should be setting a limit that he's willing to spend and if thats not enough, you don't bid against yourself and overpay, you walk away. doesn't matter who the player is or the price, a smart gm walks away if the deal becomes too much...

and even if sather is 99.9% confident that he'll land richards, he should still be exploring every other option and making calls to see who else is out there. first it gives you leverage against richards. second, by finding out what it would cost to deal for other guys maybe you'll be surprised and find out the price is cheaper than you thought making that guy a better deal than richards. maybe you'll find out that the price is so insanely high that its worth just giving richards the extra $$. but either way you are informed and have your options...you don't want to wait until after richards signs somewhere else to say 'crap what do i do now?'

Old
06-05-2011, 12:44 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
i agree with RB that this is a negotiating ploy. just like was said in the other thread about dubi asking for $4.5 when he's probably willing to take less. sather will say he's willing to go to $6.5 when he's probably willing to go higher.

that said, the concept of what brooks is saying sather is planning is called being smart. that is exactly what he should be doing. he should be setting a limit that he's willing to spend and if thats not enough, you don't bid against yourself and overpay, you walk away. doesn't matter who the player is or the price, a smart gm walks away if the deal becomes too much...

and even if sather is 99.9% confident that he'll land richards, he should still be exploring every other option and making calls to see who else is out there. first it gives you leverage against richards. second, by finding out what it would cost to deal for other guys maybe you'll be surprised and find out the price is cheaper than you thought making that guy a better deal than richards. maybe you'll find out that the price is so insanely high that its worth just giving richards the extra $$. but either way you are informed and have your options...you don't want to wait until after richards signs somewhere else to say 'crap what do i do now?'
Nice post Punk

Old
06-05-2011, 12:47 PM
CM PUNK

i know sather has never given them out, but the perfect solution here is a frontloaded deal with extra years on the end just like every other team hands out. something like 8yrs, $52 mil. rangers get their $6.5 mil cap hit, front loaded so richards gets paid $7.5m+ in the first 5-6 years. then final 2 years he either retires or gets waived.

would this by year breakdown be legal?? 10,10,10,8,6,4,2,2...first 6 years, richards gets paid $8 mil/year, but cap hit is $6.5m

Old
06-05-2011, 12:49 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
That breakdown is legal, CM. Barely, but legal.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-05-2011, 12:50 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
If the difference between 6.5 and 7.5 mil a year in cap hits is the difference between landing the possibility of a PPG center versus settling for trading good assets away (Like very possibly Anisimov and MDZ) for a 1B like Weiss, I'm coughing up the cash.
weiss is more a 2B than a 1B, not a 1st line center on a contender.

Old
06-05-2011, 12:59 PM
TrollololBoyle

I'm beginning to love all of this second guessing and crap from an article that Brooks wrote. I'll admit I was worried for a second as well, but then I came to realize, this is the NY POST... one of the worst news outlets in NY... they constantly write controversial things to stir the public... they do it with the Yankees constantly.

I mean, look at one of Brooks tweets:

Quote:
Looks like Brad Richard$ will be playing off-Broadway. Today's Slapshots.
Richard$

Yeah, okay

Old
06-05-2011, 01:04 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Richards wants to have his cake and eat it too.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:05 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Not surprised by the news this morning. Richards wants the money he can get? Just what I thought all season long while people sat here and tried to tell me he'll take a discount or that its about winning. This guy will be 31 years old. This could quite possibly the last contract of his career. At 39, 40 years old do you really want to have to worry about working at all after a long hockey career? Yeah he's made a good amount of money so far in his career but I'm sure he still wants to feel more than comfortable his family will be set up after his career is over.

I guess we'll find out the truth to all this when July 1st comes. I'm thinking Weiss will be a Ranger. Maybe Stastny.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:05 PM
azrok22

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
I'm beginning to love all of this second guessing and crap from an article that Brooks wrote. I'll admit I was worried for a second as well, but then I came to realize, this is the NY POST... one of the worst news outlets in NY... they constantly write controversial things to stir the public... they do it with the Yankees constantly.

Richard$

Yeah, okay
Yeah, that tweet struck me as a bit too biased on Brooks' part. Maybe Brooks only recently learned that Richards is close with his arch-nemesis, John Tortorella?

Old
06-05-2011, 01:06 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:

Richard$

Yeah, okay
DSG, what second guessing? You had to have known this was possible all along. I'm not surprised by this.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:07 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
DSG, what second guessing? You had to have known this was possible all along. I'm not surprised by this.
The complexion of this thread completely changed within the last two days.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:08 PM
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Richards wants to have his cake and eat it too.
Off topic, but I never understood this expression. I mean, who doesn't eat cake when they have the opportunity? Are they supposed to sit there and admire it?

On topic, it's sometimes hard to take Brooks seriously; he's very hit or miss. He could very well be miss here, but I can't say I'm surprised with this development.

Old
06-05-2011, 01:10 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
The complexion of this thread completely changed within the last two days.
But DSG its been like this all year with the BR rumors. Its been a roller coaster ride. That's why the other day was the FIRST time I posted in one of these threads all year and it was to say that I'm not going to get all worked up over this leading up to July 1st because if hes meant to be a ranger then he'll be here.

Closed Thread