HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part III (Dallas Not Offering Contract)

View Poll Results: What is the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you would pay Brad Richards?
$6 over 5 years 17 13.39%
$6.5 over 6 years 18 14.17%
$7 over 6 years 41 32.28%
$7 over 7 years 17 13.39%
$7.5 over 7 years 23 18.11%
$7.5 over 8 years 4 3.15%
$8 over 8 years 1 0.79%
$8.5 over 8 years 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2011, 02:12 PM
The Perfect Paradox

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Off topic, but I never understood this expression. I mean, who doesn't eat cake when they have the opportunity? Are they supposed to sit there and admire it?
I know Wikipedia isn't always very reliable, but nonetheless:

Quote:
This is most often used negatively, meaning an individual owning a thing, and still attempting to benefit from or use it. It may also indicate having or wanting more than one can handle or deserve, or trying to have two incompatible things. The proverb's meaning is similar to the phrases, "you can't have it both ways" and "you can't have the best of both worlds."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Have_on...and_eat_it_too

Old
06-05-2011, 02:14 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Oh, I know the meaning of the expression, I just never understood the analogy.

06-05-2011, 02:16 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Getting older isn't so much making sense of more things as it is discovering more and more things that make little sense.

06-05-2011, 02:18 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Getting older isn't so much making sense of more things as it is discovering more and more things that make little sense.
This is true, if I understood correctly.

Old
06-05-2011, 02:39 PM
Grumpy Humphrey

The good lord lets us grow old for a reason: to gain the wisdom to find fault with everything he's created

Old
06-05-2011, 02:51 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Richards wants to play for a certain team which will spend to the upper limit and get paid at the same time. He wants a long term deal for a minimum of $7M per. He "reportedly" has a list of teams. Dallas,Rangers,TB and LA/Carolina. Will his agent accept $6.5M or will the agent use Toronto to extract the extra $500,000 after he received the max in 2006 of $7.8M per. Five years later,that $7.8M is still one of the highest cap hits. Maybe if he took less in TB,they would not have traded him and he still wouldn't be crying about it. Have his cake and eat it too. TB couldn't afford to have a high payroll which Morris wrung every penny out of TB.

What happens if the Rangers say no? Does he sign with Toronto when Richards "reportedly" doesn't want to play there? How many baseball players say they want to play for the Yankees but don't have any real interest playing in New York?

I understand why he wants $7M. Thornton took a pay cut to $7M. Marleau is getting $6.9M. Both Thornton and Marleau have short term deals. 3 years for Thornton and 4 years for Marleau.

Maybe split the difference to $6.75M for 5 years which is still a lot of money. Datsyuk makes $6.7M.

3 years/$21M for Thornton
4 years/$27.6M for Marleau

Thornton and Marleau are one year older than Richards.

Old
06-05-2011, 02:54 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Off topic, but I never understood this expression. I mean, who doesn't eat cake when they have the opportunity? Are they supposed to sit there and admire it?

On topic, it's sometimes hard to take Brooks seriously; he's very hit or miss. He could very well be miss here, but I can't say I'm surprised with this development.
Yeah I gotta agree. Last week's slapshots was all about getting him. Now this.

Old
06-05-2011, 03:00 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

The way to get rid of Brooks would be to stop reading his crap, including the rag that publishes him.

Old
06-05-2011, 03:06 PM
TrollololBoyle

Quote:
Me neither, I understand it, but it doesn't really make sense.

So I can either have a cake and not eat it...

or

I can eat a cake that I don't have?

Old
06-05-2011, 03:16 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
The way to get rid of Brooks would be to stop reading his crap, including the rag that publishes him.
I know but, it's the post...its so bad its good...

Old
06-05-2011, 03:42 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Regardless of what happens throughout this ordeal, the Rangers still need to acquire a proven top-6 NHL center, whether it be through Richards, or through trade. They can't go into the season, again, without a legitimately proven center, "rebuild" or not.

Old
06-05-2011, 03:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Honestly it may sound selfish but to me it's Richards or bust.

I am not really ready to part with the pieces to go out and get Paul Stastny or Jason Spezza.

Would Stastny be nice on this team, hell yea but given the circumstance where Richards costs nothing but money he needs to be the one we go after.

I don't even want to envision what it would cost to get one of those two players.

06-05-2011, 03:48 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post

I am not really ready to part with the pieces to go out and get Paul Stastny or Jason Spezza.

Would Stastny be nice on this team, hell yea but given the circumstance where Richards costs nothing but money he needs to be the one we go after.

I don't even want to envision what it would cost to get one of those two players.
This.

Not only do I prefer Richards because he only costs money, no assets, but I don't see Stastny as an All-Star caliber player. Maybe next to Gaborik, he could be, who knows, but IMO, I'd much rather prefer Richards.

Richards has the intangibles such as leadership and a veteran presence that the young guys can learn from. He also is the #1 Center we need and can QB the Power Play. When choosing a #1, you gotta go with Richards, I don't care how much. if he wants 8 mil, of course not, but if he wants 7-7.5, i'm all for it

Old
06-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Richards WILL be a Ranger on July 1st or 2nd.

Sather has been trying for too long to look for a #1 center for this season, a play maker for Gaborik, and a PP QB. He can knock all three of those out in one shot with Richards.

You'd be a fool to think Sather isn't going to do everything he can to get Richards in the team.

Add to the fact its well known Richards would love to play for the Rangers and Torts again, then well.

500K, 1 or 2 extra years on a contract is not going to scare Slats. He is getting his man on July.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:00 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckHead237 View Post

Sather has been trying for too long to look for a #1 center for this season, a play maker for Gaborik, and a PP QB. He can knock all three of those out in one shot with Richards.

You'd be a fool to think Sather isn't going to do everything he can to get Richards in the team.

Add to the fact its well known Richards would love to play for the Rangers and Torts again, then well.

500K, 1 or 2 extra years on a contract is not going to scare Slats. He is getting his man on July.
Although I agree with what you are saying, that it's a small chance we don't get him, he made it clear to sources that he will not take a discount to "reunite with Tortorella". How true that is, who really knows... But it is seeming less likely that Torts will have an influence on Richards' decision

Old
06-05-2011, 04:04 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

I really don't know what to think of Brook's article.

Is this one of those instances where he is trying to push his own anti-Torts agenda/attempting to get media buzz about himself or does he legitimately have sources that know what they're talking about.

I find it extremely hard to believe that he will go into July 1st and say I want 7 for 7 and refuse to budge, they all budge in some form.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:09 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Regardless of what happens throughout this ordeal, the Rangers still need to acquire a proven top-6 NHL center, whether it be through Richards, or through trade. They can't go into the season, again, without a legitimately proven center, "rebuild" or not.
Yes, the time has certainly come to plug this hole. Be it Richards or trade. But if it's trade, it's gotta be an elite #1, and not a square peg in a round hole

Old
06-05-2011, 04:17 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:

I'd like to sign Richards for nothing...and then part with the pieces in 6 months or a year from now to add a legit top line winger...once we can handle the additional cap hit. Best of both worlds. Then we're ready to make a run for the Goblet.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:19 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukSOGoal View Post
Me neither, I understand it, but it doesn't really make sense.

So I can either have a cake and not eat it...

or

I can eat a cake that I don't have?
What is so confusing...if you eat your cake you don't have it any more. you can either have it...OR eat it. lol

Old
06-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Hockify

Quote:
You can't have your cake and eat it too means if you eat it then you don't still have it. You can't possibly have both at the same time because if you have it you're not eating it and if you eat it then you don't have it anymore.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:22 PM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
to me it's Richards IS bust.

don't want another guy getting his New York Rangers retirement fund. If he came here wouldn't be surprised if he suddenly opens up a pizza joint in CT somewhere.

we need to target younger star players - i advocate aggressive trading.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:24 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
I'd like to sign Richards for nothing...and then part with the pieces in 6 months or a year from now to add a legit top line winger...once we can handle the additional cap hit. Best of both worlds. Then we're ready to make a run for the Goblet.
Yea hopefully that's the plan.

Although I wouldn't feel horribly if they signed Jussi Jokinen this offseason. I mean he's not the elite LW we'd be looking for but he's pretty damn good.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:26 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
No Rangers beat writer produces even 10% of the information that Brooks does. If you stop reading his "crap," you'll have virtually nothing to read on the Rangers.

His previously article was his opinion, this one obviously came from the angle of the Rangers brass - where Larry obviously has some pretty solid connections. Call me when Michael Obenhauer produces an article with that type of insight.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:28 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
No Rangers beat writer produces even 10% of the information that Brooks does. If you stop reading his "crap," you'll have virtually nothing to read on the Rangers.

His previously article was his opinion, this one obviously came from the angle of the Rangers brass - where Larry obviously has some pretty solid connections. Call me when Michael Obenhauer produces an article with that type of insight.
I'm not really ready to truly believe that he has legit sources that know's this much about Richard's plan.

I'm not saying he's lying completely just given LB's track record it may be a little suspect.

Old
06-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Hockify

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckHead237 View Post

That's the same attitude he had when he signed Drury, Gomez, Redden. That doesn't worry you at all?

Closed Thread