HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part III (Dallas Not Offering Contract)

View Poll Results: What is the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you would pay Brad Richards?
$6 over 5 years 17 13.39%
$6.5 over 6 years 18 14.17%
$7 over 6 years 41 32.28%
$7 over 7 years 17 13.39%
$7.5 over 7 years 23 18.11%
$7.5 over 8 years 4 3.15%
$8 over 8 years 1 0.79%
$8.5 over 8 years 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 07:34 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
TB reportedly lost $30M this season with a payroll in the low $50M's
I thought you had mentioned that a week or so ago, but either way, yeah I mean that's just terrible to lose that much money when your team made it to the eastern conference finals. But I cant say that I'm totally surprised.

And I dont mind Sather keeping to himself. Maybe thats how he works his magic in trades, but not opening up to the media and therefore burning bridges with teams he's trying to negotiate with.

Old
06-08-2011, 07:38 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/NYDNRangers/s...60033947926529

I know the answer is probably yes, but do you think Sather had any thing to say to Nieuwendyk about Richards, potential trade scenarios? Maybe Sather (although he never speaks to the media to begin with) has something going on which is why he is being confidential and not entertaining Spector...
Yea Sather asked for sure. He would'nt be doing his job otherwise. As for not saying anything well that is Glen and I really don't care he's made two trades already this off season so he is on the ball.

Sounds like Richards is going to July 1st to get a little bidding war going. Regardless Rangers will be there and I think when push comes to shove its a good fit for everyone. Richards and the Rangers just makes sense on so many levels.

It's just going to drive us bonkers waiting another 3 weeks

Old
06-08-2011, 07:39 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
https://twitter.com/#!/NYDNRangers/s...60033947926529

I know the answer is probably yes, but do you think Sather had any thing to say to Nieuwendyk about Richards, potential trade scenarios? Maybe Sather (although he never speaks to the media to begin with) has something going on which is why he is being confidential and not entertaining Spector...
You mean is the sky blue? Is grass green?

Is Glen being a General Manager? I would assume so.

Plus he rarely talks to the media, so him being a jerk to Spector isn't really relevant and I doubt has anything to do with confidentiality.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:11 PM
turcotte8

Kevin Allen USA Today

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hocke...ded-soon_n.htm

Old
06-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
The condition of Toronto's team is disasterous and, honestly, how much more could they offer than any competitors?
You know, I get that Rangers fans really want Richards and it looks very much like he's going to go there, but are these shots at Toronto really necessary? I don't really see how the condition of our team is "disastrous". We have a crap load of cap space, our team was one of the youngest in the league and we only finished 10th. Our team doesn't have to be in a disastrous state for you guys to still get Richards.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:17 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutchecktime View Post
You know, I get that Rangers fans really want Richards and it looks very much like he's going to go there, but are these shots at Toronto really necessary? I don't really see how the condition of our team is "disastrous". We have a crap load of cap space, our team was one of the youngest in the league and we only finished 10th. Our team doesn't have to be in a disastrous state for you guys to still get Richards.
When you guys are "just as good as us except for Lundqvist", when many of us think otherwise, then yeah. It's a two way street.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Gutchecktime

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
When you guys are "just as good as us except for Lundqvist", when many of us think otherwise, then yeah. It's a two way street.
Someone saying something dumb isn't a very good justification for saying something equally dumb, IMO.

Old
06-08-2011, 09:31 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sather doesn't know who Spector is. Torts spent the season telling him to stop asking stupid questions and annoying him with recording the press conferences with some device. Sather doesn't conduct his business with the media. He is not telling everyone about the draft plans or openly shopping a player in the media. Many of the GMs left the meeting today without talking to the media.

Quote:
10 GMs who have left the NHL GM meeting in Boston early this afternoon have not bothered to stop and talk to reporters.
http://twitter.com/#!/WharnsCBCSPORT...67056886341633

Old
06-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

So I've heard Carolina's in the hunt now.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:09 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
In the hunt for what exactly? More money for their franchise?

Old
06-08-2011, 10:22 PM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
In the hunt for what exactly? More money for their franchise?
No, Richards.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:30 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
No, Richards.
Richards who?

Old
06-09-2011, 12:27 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

So he's gonna move to winter hell in TOR/BUF after spending his whole career in basically a tropical climate? Yeah, OK. NY has its share of rough winter weather, but nothing like the 5-8 feet of snow TOR/BUF get. TOR/BUF are also smaller, more hockey crazed cities. He would go unnoticed walking the streets of NYC. Not so much in Toronto

LAK are in same division as DAL, they're out. CAR is in same division as TB, they're out.

Taking a pay cut to sign in Tampa is definitely a major risk at this point in his career, given his age and the fact that he is coming off a serious concussion. Would he do it? Maybe, but I doubt it. I'm sure his agent is instructing him otherwise...

I'm thinking his first choice might be Tampa, but he will not sign there for $5 million. BUF/TOR/NYR could all over him similar contracts, but we have the Torts factor. I'm sure Torts will be on the phone with Brad on July 1st. Don't believe the Sather won't pay reports. This is Glen Sather we're talking about. You don't think Torts is pushing Slats to sign him? He's exactly what the Rangers need.

7 years, $47 million

8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 4, 3

6.7 cap hit

Do it. Do it.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:48 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Someone saying something dumb isn't a very good justification for saying something equally dumb, IMO.
Dude, you need to liberate yourself of the shackles that one form of fandom forces upon you. This need to defend your team, even when what you're saying isn't true, is pointless. Just admit the truth, there by gaining a clearer understanding of the situation in reality. Take it from someone that has been forced to do that many a time.

The Maple Leafs are not good. They are not in an enviable position going forward. If the Rangers had the Maple Leafs roster and prospect pool, I would not be a very happy Blueshirt fan right now. And the times when I have been a happy Blueshirt fan have been very few and very far between.

In my opinion, going forward, the Maple Leafs are bound to be a playoff bubble team for a number of seasons, barring their participation in, as the 'winning' party, some sort of mega ripoff, Gomez-to-MTL style trade.

I have no bias in this matter. I'd say the same thing if this Richards "competition" wasn't in existence, and I'd say it because if you look around at the rest of the Eastern Conference, there is just more to be impressed with in a lot of cities. I'd rather be the Devils or the Islanders or the Flyers or the Penguins or even the Habs, and I hate all of those teams more than I hate the Leafs.

Old
06-09-2011, 04:50 AM
Chimp

After Richard's concussion, I feel really scared to see him sign in New York. Concussions, shoulder injuries and to some extent knee injuries are the worst when it comes to sudden career performance drops. I fear he has lost a notch - considering his overall performance after he returned, is one year older and that's not going to cut it. If he demands a long term contract, do NOT sign him please.

No, we don't get any better if we don't get Richards, but we don't doom our team with another potentially ridiculous contract either.

I think this franchise should've learnt a big lesson signing big time, big money UFAs and especially its GM.

We're not even potentially a contender until Dreary is gone anyway. Stay put.

Old
06-09-2011, 07:32 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Sather doesn't know who Spector is. Torts spent the season telling him to stop asking stupid questions and annoying him with recording the press conferences with some device. Sather doesn't conduct his business with the media. He is not telling everyone about the draft plans or openly shopping a player in the media. Many of the GMs left the meeting today without talking to the media.

http://twitter.com/#!/WharnsCBCSPORT...67056886341633
yeah Sather usually never talks to people unless he decides to sit down for a legit interview. He doesn't seem the "off the cuff, let me just stop and talk to this random reporter" type.

Quote:
I feel like it was reported/rumored that Carolina was another place Richards wouldn't mind going, and that is probably the genesis of these "newer" rumors

Old
06-09-2011, 08:22 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
LOL you can understand Red Wing fans, Shark fans, or even Devil fans dissing the Leafs. But it is pretty funny for Ranger fans to be calling out another organization's failures.

Hey, we don't get a chance to have a superiority complex very often, let us at least have this!

Last edited by Jersey Girl: 06-09-2011 at 08:30 AM.
Old
06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Colt Seavers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
So he's gonna move to winter hell in TOR/BUF after spending his whole career in basically a tropical climate? Yeah, OK. NY has its share of rough winter weather, but nothing like the 5-8 feet of snow TOR/BUF get.
Winter hell in Toronto?
Ha ha. Ok. That's not at all true FWIW. There is very little snow accumulation in the city. The streets are mostly clear of the white stuff & not anymore snow covered than NYC. There's plenty of snow accumulation in smaller communities an hour outside the City core - but not downtown & certainly nowhere close to being a 'winter hell'.

Old
06-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Jersey Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Seavers View Post
Winter hell in Toronto?
Ha ha. Ok. That's not at all true FWIW. There is very little snow accumulation in the city. The streets are mostly clear of the white stuff & not anymore snow covered than NYC. There's plenty of snow accumulation in smaller communities an hour outside the City core - but not downtown & certainly nowhere close to being a 'winter hell'.
Absolutey correct. The Lake Effect blows all the snow on Buffalo. Toronto winter is extremely similar to New York, except they sometimes get less snow.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Quote:
So he's gonna move to winter hell in TOR/BUF after spending his whole career in basically a tropical climate? Yeah, OK. NY has its share of rough winter weather, but nothing like the 5-8 feet of snow TOR/BUF get. TOR/BUF are also smaller, more hockey crazed cities. He would go unnoticed walking the streets of NYC. Not so much in Toronto

LAK are in same division as DAL, they're out. CAR is in same division as TB, they're out.

Taking a pay cut to sign in Tampa is definitely a major risk at this point in his career, given his age and the fact that he is coming off a serious concussion. Would he do it? Maybe, but I doubt it. I'm sure his agent is instructing him otherwise...

I'm thinking his first choice might be Tampa, but he will not sign there for $5 million. BUF/TOR/NYR could all over him similar contracts, but we have the Torts factor. I'm sure Torts will be on the phone with Brad on July 1st. Don't believe the Sather won't pay reports. This is Glen Sather we're talking about. You don't think Torts is pushing Slats to sign him? He's exactly what the Rangers need.

7 years, $47 million

8, 8, 8, 8, 8, 4, 3

6.7 cap hit

Do it. Do it.
I strongly believe that Ricards would end up being a ranger.

But, really? really?

Old
06-09-2011, 09:04 AM
bassassin

Quote:
TB is spending to the upper limit?
There isn't a definite amount to spend all I have read is a couple of articles stated provided SFY thinks he needs it he will get it and more recently:

Quote:
Owner Jeff Vinik is making Yzerman's job easier by increasing payroll from last season's $55 million cap hit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagr68NYR94Leetch View Post
That's what I was thinking. I dont see that happening. Since when do they operate in TB like that.
Two words: Jeff Vinik

Quote:
TB reportedly lost $30M this season with a payroll in the low $50M's
This could be why? Vinik is renovating the entire franchise, from top to bottom.

Quote:
Renovations to the St. Pete Times Forum began last week, Leiweke said. The $35 million project was delayed because of Tampa Bay's extended playoff run. But Leiweke said with crews working at least double shifts six days a week, most of the project, except for the expanded west entrance, should be completed by the Lightning's October home opener.
Vinik is doing this the right way, he knows he may not get his money back straight away but it is working so far:

Quote:
The Lightning, enjoying a bump from a long playoff run and from holding the line on prices, has sold about 3,800 new, full season tickets, CEO Tod Leiweke said last week. Coupled with about 4,500 renewals on about 5,000 full season tickets from last season, the team, at 8,300, is closing in on its goal of 10,000 to 12,000. If it gets to that point, Leiweke said, and including partial season tickets and specialty packages such as 10-packs, "We're close to selling out every night."
3,800 new season tickets before the 1st week in June is over, from that playoff run. The teams attendance should be miles better next season. Therefore attendance.

All 3 quotes above came from http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1173694.ece

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaqup View Post
I don't know what TB's defense looked like this year, but from what I saw in the playoffs, it doesn't look upgraded at all. Do you really see Yzerman not upgrading the defense at all for next season? Surely he saw what happened in Philly when they refused to address their shortcomings...
Brewer for a full year would be an upgrade as would Roloson for a whole year. IMO if we get Richards defense stays similar gets retooled 12-13 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
That's an interesting defensive corps you got there. Ohlund - Lundin 2nd pairing. Very interesting...

Seriously though, as a fan, what's your perspective? Would you really rather see Yzerman sign another big-name forward to a huge contract, another center no less, than make the obviously needed improvements on defense?
bashing the Ohlund-Lundin pairing? You know when we were leading the East? They were our top pairing. Lundin gets injured (best defensive dman in the regular season for us) combined with other injuries we drop to 5th.

Would prefer to see Richards back than overpay for a dman, I mean our defense is not pretty but does the job.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:05 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Quote:
I live in Phoenix but even I know Toronto is not winter hell. They are on the topside of the lake. No real winter sno to speak of.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:12 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I REALLY don't want Richards. It'll be another huge mistake if they sign him.

Old
06-09-2011, 09:21 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by turcotte8 View Post
good find but I have no idea what is the truth anymore. Has Richards agent said its not a good idea?

I offer EC and say take it or leave it

Old
06-09-2011, 09:30 AM
Levitate

Yes, Richards' agent has said that they're not interested in waiving at the moment and are looking to go to July 1st. But that could obviously change as well

Closed Thread