HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part III (Dallas Not Offering Contract)

View Poll Results: What is the ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM you would pay Brad Richards?
$6 over 5 years 17 13.39%
$6.5 over 6 years 18 14.17%
$7 over 6 years 41 32.28%
$7 over 7 years 17 13.39%
$7.5 over 7 years 23 18.11%
$7.5 over 8 years 4 3.15%
$8 over 8 years 1 0.79%
$8.5 over 8 years 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2011, 11:13 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

vCash: 500
It was done on the Trade Section of HF, and in order for Brad to sign with TB he would have to take a salary cut down to about 5.125 mill or something close to that.

I know he's willing to take a lower salary, but don't you think that even that is too low?

06-02-2011, 11:17 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
It was done on the Trade Section of HF, and in order for Brad to sign with TB he would have to take a salary cut down to about 5.125 mill or something close to that.

I know he's willing to take a lower salary, but don't you think that even that is too low?
Why is that? They have plenty of cap space, and it hasn't been publicly cited that they're operating on a budget.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:18 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsauer2738 View Post
Why is that? They have plenty of cap space, and it hasn't been publicly cited that they're operating on a budget.
because they have more pressing needs that need to be filled out with that cap space

Old
06-02-2011, 11:21 PM
mcsauer2738

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
because they have more pressing needs that need to be filled out with that cap space
I'm sure offering B Rich. 6.5 instead of 5.125 won't effect their team mightily

Old
06-02-2011, 11:23 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
I'm sure offering B Rich. 6.5 instead of 5.125 won't effect their team mightily
i just did that on cap geek. even with signing Stamkos at 7 (which is conservative), you still need to add three forwards, 2 defensemen and 2 goalies to that team. a forward group that needs signing that includes playoff heroes Purcell (who is arb eligible) and bergenheim. thats a ton of change

edit: here is that team

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m) / Ryan Malone ($4.500m)
Steve Downie ($1.850m) / Dominic Moore ($1.100m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m)
Dana Tyrell ($0.845m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.000m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Pavel Kubina ($3.850m) / Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m)
Victor Hedman ($3.500m) / Brett Clark ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Dwayne Roloson ($2.500m) / Mike Smith ($2.200m)

BUYOUTS: Vaclav Prospal ($1.166m) / Todd Fedoruk ($0.375m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,746,916; BONUSES: $2,737,500
CAP SPACE (15-man roster): $8,253,084

Old
06-02-2011, 11:32 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
i just did that on cap geek. even with signing Stamkos at 7 (which is conservative), you still need to add three forwards, 2 defensemen and 2 goalies to that team. a forward group that needs signing that includes playoff heroes Purcell (who is arb eligible) and bergenheim. thats a ton of change

edit: here is that team

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Vincent Lecavalier ($7.727m) / Martin St. Louis ($5.625m) / Ryan Malone ($4.500m)
Steve Downie ($1.850m) / Dominic Moore ($1.100m) / Nate Thompson ($0.900m)
Dana Tyrell ($0.845m) / Steven Stamkos ($7.000m) / Brad Richards ($6.500m)

DEFENSEMEN
Pavel Kubina ($3.850m) / Mattias Ohlund ($3.607m)
Victor Hedman ($3.500m) / Brett Clark ($1.500m)

GOALTENDERS
Dwayne Roloson ($2.500m) / Mike Smith ($2.200m)

BUYOUTS: Vaclav Prospal ($1.166m) / Todd Fedoruk ($0.375m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,000,000; CAP PAYROLL: $54,746,916; BONUSES: $2,737,500
CAP SPACE (15-man roster): $8,253,084

They could easily trade Malone and have 12m cap space, not saying it would happen but if they really wanted Richards they could do it.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:36 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
They could easily trade Malone and have 12m cap space, not saying it would happen but if they really wanted Richards they could do it.
I was about to mention that. Malone's expendable, but he'd be worth to take him on with his contract if he can play a full season.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:37 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube Sock View Post
Ryan Malone, he of the 38 points and whose dad is a scout for the lightning and has a NMC? who is taking him?

Old
06-02-2011, 11:46 PM
Ail
k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post

I punched myself in the face every time I read a post by Richiebottles. If that guy doesn't stop posting I am probably going to end up dead.

06-02-2011, 11:52 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
I punched myself in the face every time I read a post by Richiebottles. If that guy doesn't stop posting I am probably going to end up dead.
I know bro, me and a couple of people on the Rangers section over PM back and forth about how ignorant/annoying that guy is.

His posts are not only filled with blatant homerism and complete hatred for the Rangers but they also serve no purpose but to troll every other teams fan base.

He truly is just jealous that we can get Richards while they're stuck with Gomez, that's the God's-honest truth.

EDIT: Even his own fanbase calls him an idiot.

Old
06-02-2011, 11:54 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ailurophile View Post
Is there anything worse than a homer Habs fan? Luckily, I haven't seen as many of them around since they were eliminated in the first round. It's always hilarious to see them try to justify that the Gomez trade worked in their favor.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:08 AM
Mats Zuccarelli
NY Hockey Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Is there anything worse than a homer Habs fan?
A homer Flyers fan?

Old
06-03-2011, 02:43 AM
Ola

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafsregnar21 View Post
Does anyone know the teams that would have the cap space for Richards?
Like none or 27, depending on how you count...

All winter a lot of guys have been saying that we do not have the cap space. The RFA's will get paid and we have to worry about the Redden contract and the summer 10% cap etc.

We can make room if we want, and that goes for a ton of teams in this league.

It is not really about cap space as much as it is about making a business decision!

Tampa Bay have all the cap space in the world and a tremendously good looking future. But their kids will eat up money for them. They could add guys between the pipes and on the blueline. Is it worth it for them or not? If you were the GM of Tampa, would you want to sign Richards? I mean, you are a lot of arguing how its defintiely not worth it -- if we were Tampa fans, would we do the same?

Washington Capitals could easily give him a 7m offer, just for example. And most teams are in that position.

Things are looking great for us for sure. But some are making it sound like it will be us alone giving him a call on July 1st. It will be us, Richards wants to come here and we are the favorites for sure, then the other teams already mentioned will give him a call.

But for all we know, Detroit Red Wings could have 20 million USD to spend come July 1st. Do not be suprised if one or two very strong outside bidders files offers also when times due.

Old
06-03-2011, 04:51 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
You think TB will have a payroll approaching the upper limit? They spent $50 million on payroll this season. They will spend the same or a little more next season. If you check with their beat writer on twitter who has the covered the team for a long time,he will tell you that.

The team lost tons of money this season.

Quote:
But the Lightning will still post a pretax loss of around $30 million even if they reach the finals, according to a person familiar with the Lightning’s finances. In large part this is because the league’s new collective bargaining agreement, which began with the 2005-06 season. Playoff teams must pay the N.H.L. a low six-figure fee to help cover the league’s costs to produce the playoffs, including expenses for travel, marketing and officiating. The fees increase each round. Also, teams are required to contribute part of their playoff ticket revenue to the N.H.L.’s revenue-sharing program, which redistributes money to the financially weaker teams. Upshot: playoff games now mean about $500,000 net per game to the home team instead of over $1 million under prior CBA.

It doesn’t matter if the Lightning have 16 playoff games at the St. Pete Times Forum. If Vinik wants to turn a profit he will have to sell get more gate and sponsorship revenue during the regular season.
http://blogs.forbes.com/mikeozanian/...anley-cup-run/

Old
06-03-2011, 04:56 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Awesome info RB.

With that, I don't see Richards going to Tampa. I think Yzerman is smart enough to know that they need defense, and that Richards is pretty much redundant, though, so I'm not too worried about him going there.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-03-2011, 04:59 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Richards is going find himself in the same situation in TB as the last time with Vinny,Marty and now Stamkos. Vinik has the money but Vinik didn't become rich by being stupid and spend money out of his own pocket.

Old
06-03-2011, 06:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

TB probably still gets revenue sharing. The NHL doesn't believe in full disclosure but if you look at the requirements for receiving revenue sharing. Their payroll has to below the mid-point to qualify for revenue sharing. They can't spend above the mid-point. Mid-point is $8M below the upper limit. Where was their payroll this season? $59.4M upper limit. $51.4M mid-point. TB spent $50M. The previous ownership would receive advances on revenue sharing to make payroll. TB has changed ownership 5 times since they joined the NHL in 1992.

Old
06-03-2011, 06:31 AM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

To be fair, I'm not saying this in defense of TB acquiring Richards, which is a possibility, the Rangers need to make a couple of key movements in order to compile their team and add BR this summer as well.

I haven't studied the cap, but I'd assume that you wouldn't be able to add BR (or anything after him) unless the Drury, Avery, Redden contracts were figured out (either bought out, gone, etc). We still have to ice a formidable team and people are talking about adding Richards, Brunette, etc. I'd still like one experienced d-man (though not entirely needed), who can bring it offensively.

Rangers management has a lot of tinkering to do to offer Richards the $7M he'll want. It's not exactly "Rangers or bust", like some Ranger fans act like it will be. Every team that BR has on his radar (judging by the media) will need to make some moves in order to fit him in.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, if we can't grab Richards for 4 years or less at $7M or less, we need to walk. We absolutely can not make the same mistakes over and over again and Richards is 31. Anything past 35 (or maybe even earlier) could be harmful for this guy like most players. We do NOT need another Redden, Drury, Gomez type around who can not produce nearly enough to warrant the large paycheck he cashes.

Old
06-03-2011, 06:32 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
It’s believed the banks that are running the Stars and Gagliardi are deeply into negotiations that will see Gagliardi buy the team and half the lease to the American Airlines Arena in Dallas for about $160 million.

Having an owner in place for that board of governors meeting would be a boon to the Stars and would give them a chance, contrary to published reports, to re-sign pending unrestricted free agent Brad Richards before July 1. Without an owner in place, there’s virtually no way Richards will stay in Dallas.

After Dallas gets taken care of, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman will then focus on the situations in New Jersey and Los Angeles. The equity fund that owns 49 percent of the Devils reportedly wants out and a buyer is being sought. And rumors that Kings majority owner Philip Anschutz also wants to sell simply won’t go away.
http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...hs-agenda.html

Someone tell Ken Campbell about the 30-60 day bankruptcy process which will follow whenever Gaglardi completes the purchase agreement with the lenders.

Contrary to published reports?Joe Nieuwendyk said the sale won't be completed by July 1 which is a requirement for Richards. Thus no offer to be made.

LA is for sale? Another stable ownership situation for Richards.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:24 AM
xxxZENxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I haven't studied the cap, but I'd assume that you wouldn't be able to add BR (or anything after him) unless the Drury, Avery, Redden contracts were figured out (either bought out, gone, etc). We still have to ice a formidable team and people are talking about adding Richards, Brunette, etc. I'd still like one experienced d-man (though not entirely needed), who can bring it offensively.

Rangers management has a lot of tinkering to do to offer Richards the $7M he'll want. It's not exactly "Rangers or bust", like some Ranger fans act like it will be. Every team that BR has on his radar (judging by the media) will need to make some moves in order to fit him in.

And I've said it before and I'll say it again, if we can't grab Richards for 4 years or less at $7M or less, we need to walk. We absolutely can not make the same mistakes over and over again and Richards is 31. Anything past 35 (or maybe even earlier) could be harmful for this guy like most players. We do NOT need another Redden, Drury, Gomez type around who can not produce nearly enough to warrant the large paycheck he cashes.
A couple things:
*It would be an error to compare BR to any of the guys mentioned, because none of them were elite players in this league. Age isn't usually a tremendously bad thing when you are an elite player. While you might slow down a little, there are aging players all over this league that are still lighting it up. And Richards keeps putting up tremendous point totals no matter what his situation, which is a good sign.

*The minute that Erixon trade was completed, all chances of signing (or trading for) an offensive D-man went out the window. I think it is pretty ironic that the one year in which the UFA market on defense is pretty darn impressive, the Rangers can't really afford to sign one, given their issues with scoring at forward. All I see is Sather grabbing a $1M or less D-man for the 6th/7th position and/or re-signing Gilroy (hopefully not) to lower contract.

*While we did need to take care of some contracts at one point, I'm not so sure it is as urgent anymore with the cap supposedly increasing a fair amount. I believe that Drury is definitely gone though. When your coach hints about it at the end-of-the-season presser, it is never a good thing.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:54 AM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaromir Jagr View Post
I have studied the cap, as has RangerBoy. Making room to fit Richards isn't nearly as difficult as you think. We have the cap space to re-sign all of our RFAs and fill in the rest with cheap UFAs like Fedotenko and Emminger, or replace them with kids.

It has been reported that the projected cap for next year is between 60.5 mil and 63.5 mil. If the NHLPA votes for the 5% bump (and they have every single year since the lockout), the cap should be about 63.5 mil. That's a 4.1 mil increase.

Wolski is only 25 years old, which means his buyout is only 1/3rd rather than 2/3rds. If we buy him out, his cap hit drops from 3.8 mil to $466,667. So that's another 3.3 mil saved. Combine the 2 and we've got more than enough money to sign Richards.

And that doesn't even count Drury, who may get bought out or traded. If we keep him, that's another 7.05 mil coming off the books next year. If the cap does drop in the next CBA, I'm sure they will offer compliance buyouts again. We're in good shape cap-wise.

Quote:
There is no way any team is going to sign him for 4 or less years. This is his last contract. We will need the extra years to reduce his cap hit.

RangerBoy suggested an 8 year / 50 mil deal (6.25 mil cap hit), and I think that's pretty close to what he will get. If the last 3 years don't have an NMC, I'm fine with that. By the time Richards becomes a problem (if he does at all), Redden and Drury will be long gone. Hell, Staal is the only player actually under contract 4 years from now, though most likely Dubi and Cally will join that club. Richards' cap hit over the last 4 years of the deal won't be a big problem. He may even retire a 2 or 3 years early.

If he's a PPG player over the next 4 years, it will be worth any trouble we have with his contract over the last 4 years, though again, I don't expect that we'll really have much trouble with it. I don't expect him to fall on his face the way Drury and Redden have.

Old
06-03-2011, 07:59 AM
JeffMangum
Debaser

Quote:
I just talked to Pat Morris, the agent for Brad Richards, and while he would not say definitively that Richards would not waive his no-trade clause before the July 1 free agent deadline, he did say that Richards has to do what's best for himself.

"I'm not aware of another player in this situation who has waived his no-trade clause, and I think there is a reason for that,'' Morris said. "Accepting a move to another team creates an obligation, and you have to be pretty sure about that obligation. I think Brad has to do what's best for himself and keep his options open.''

Richards has worked a long time to earn the no-trade clause and to earn a chance at free agency, and you can’t blame him for wanting to utilize that opportunity. He said that so much will go into his decision, and so much is based on his experience already
Mike Heika:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dal...r-himself_.ece

Old
06-03-2011, 08:11 AM
Vitto79

No idea why a buddy told me this but he said he knows a guy that indicated Richards wants a shorter term deal. Lets hope that is right and its 4 yrs - 7 per.

At this point everything seems to be falling in the Rangers favor. If true he would only waive to the NYR at the deadline it only make sense Dallas moves him for something rather than nothing. Even if its something little like Christensen and a mid round pick.

At that time Richards can get to know the Rangers for a good week or so and we can convince him how awesome we are, lol

I am going to be shocked and dissapointed if Richards does not sign. Also I am scared if Sather loses out he is going to throw a package of DZ, Grachev, 1st for a legit #1 C like a Stastny.

For those who say don't sign Richards you are just asking for Sather to trade young assets cause he is not just going to sit there and not try and get a #1 C.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:14 AM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
I was about to mention that. Malone's expendable, but he'd be worth to take him on with his contract if he can play a full season.
from a strictly hockey roster stand point why the heck would TB sign another C the calibar of Richards when they have Stamkos and Lecavalier with Moore and Thompson capable 3rd/4th liners?

They won't. They are going after Bryzgalov with the cash if anything cause Roloson is old. He played well but he can be replaced.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:16 AM
beastly115

Here's a scenerio:

Richards gives Nieuwy a list of say, 5 teams he'll waive for. Nieuwy negotiates with all 5 teams a price for his rights. Whoever signs him first has to give the Stars the price they agreed upon with Nieuwy.

Better yet, after coming to terms with Richards for his "rights", said team (NYR ) and Richards agree to wait till July 1 to finalize the deal so his new team doesn't have to give up assets.

I thought I read on the trade board that this is what happened with Hossa a few years back and would explain how he signed so quickly once UFA started...

Closed Thread