HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Who will be the next Buff? (Playoff Version)

Old
08-12-2010, 06:34 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

vCash: 500
Who will be the next Buff? (Playoff Version)

With Big Buff gone I wonder who everyone thinks will replace his style in the playoffs mainly as he has'nt been able to transcend that style to the regular season.

Bickell has the best size out of all our forwards but I don't see him having too good of a pair hands, Brouwer has size and good hands and could be the guy, but mainly I would say Beach (if he makes the team of course). Beach has great hands, a mean streak and decent size. None of these guys come close to Buff's size but who in the league does.

Beach would be great if he took that type of role on in the playoffs cuz Vancouver had a shot at him and picked Hodgson instead. If Beach could dominate the Canucks the way Buff did that would be even sweeter, especially if we face off again with them.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 07:39 PM
Araxen*

No one can replace Buff. We don't have a "Luongo killer" anymore.

Araxen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Sevanston

Between the cap and the common perception that NCAA success doesn't translate to NHL success, I don't really think he'll make the team this year, but I think Ben Smith would step up big time for the playoffs.

I really can't wait to see him next year. Hawks or Hogs, I'll have an easier time watching him next year than I did when he was at BC.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:42 PM
HartforHoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxen View Post
Um... Kane.

HartforHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2010, 08:46 PM
HartforHoss

I think if there is one guy that can step in and really make you forget anyone we lost as an individual (offensively) it's Beach. But, Brouwer already was really just as effective on that line with Toews and Kane. Where you really miss Buff is that PO PP.

HartforHoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 01:24 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Beach, but I think every Player not named Kane, Toews, Keith, Hossa, Seabrook and Campbell are replaceable

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:00 AM
Go Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring Back GLR View Post
With Big Buff gone I wonder who everyone thinks will replace his style in the playoffs mainly as he has'nt been able to transcend that style to the regular season.

Bickell has the best size out of all our forwards but I don't see him having too good of a pair hands, Brouwer has size and good hands and could be the guy, but mainly I would say Beach (if he makes the team of course). Beach has great hands, a mean streak and decent size. None of these guys come close to Buff's size but who in the league does.

Beach would be great if he took that type of role on in the playoffs cuz Vancouver had a shot at him and picked Hodgson instead. If Beach could dominate the Canucks the way Buff did that would be even sweeter, especially if we face off again with them.
If you've ever seen Hodgson play then you would realize why Vancouver took him over Beach.

Go Wings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:06 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Wings View Post
If you've ever seen Hodgson play then you would realize why Vancouver took him over Beach.
Comparing two unknowns is foolish.

It seems like half your posts concern the Blackhawks. Isn't one account enough for Gibson?

DisgruntledHawkFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 09:44 AM
Seasons

Stalberg has a lot of potential..he is not nearly as big as buff but better hands and with a better team surrounding him he could really shine I think.

Seasons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superpowerless View Post
Stalberg has a lot of potential..he is not nearly as big as buff but better hands and with a better team surrounding him he could really shine I think.
He had 9 goals in 40 games on a bad Leafs team last year. Its not crazy to think he could put up 20 on the Hawks this year.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 10:40 AM
helicon1

Noone. There isn't anyone on the roster who can. Beach's style of agitation is more similar to Eager than Buff. He'll hit,yap and piss teams off but he doesn't have the physical attributes to intimidate and dominate like Buff does. More talent, sure, but a different type of impact. I don't think there's any guarantee Buff himself repeats last years performance should he even make the PO's, as much as I would have liked to keep him.

helicon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2010, 01:49 PM
salty justice

One of Bickell or Brouwer need to step up and replace Buff. It's possible that they will as the opportunity is clearly there for both of them.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2010, 01:50 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

John Scott:

we do wonders with big ass guys that play defense and offense! You just never know...not many thought much of Buff barely a year ago, let alone his days at Prince George in the WHL...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Brad Gardner
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Between the cap and the common perception that NCAA success doesn't translate to NHL success, I don't really think he'll make the team this year, but I think Ben Smith would step up big time for the playoffs.

I really can't wait to see him next year. Hawks or Hogs, I'll have an easier time watching him next year than I did when he was at BC.
Good call, Smith had some big games at important times over his career at BC. Wouldn't be the size/physical presence that Buff was obviously, but I agree he could be a guy who elevates his game like Buff did the last couple playoffs. He's also a little older at 22 years old than some of the other new guys coming in, like Beach, so he might be closer to making the team than it seems.

Brad Gardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2010, 09:52 AM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanDream View Post
John Scott:

we do wonders with big ass guys that play defense and offense! You just never know...not many thought much of Buff barely a year ago, let alone his days at Prince George in the WHL...
John Scott isn't paid to play hockey. Comparing him with an unmotivated yet immensely talented physical specimen is foolish.

Old
08-16-2010, 12:36 PM
hawksfan50

Well I don't thin either BROUWER or BICKELL has the soft hands BUFF gave us from in front of the crease when bothering opposing goalies on screens on the PP...I don't thin Broiwer can take the abuse BUF did standing right in front screening the goalie back to the goalie--I see Brouwer more as a side screener and BICKELL might be able t take the abuse back to the goalie directly in front but he tends to lack BUFF's patience for staying in the exact same spot (perhaps he can be taught that parking there means stay put). Bickell does have a good shot though and I think he gets it away better than Buff did on the longer shot (Buff would tend to carry it more skating to get an absloute cleaere shot which often never materialized)...However whrther either BICKELL or BROUWER get any PP time is the question..They may be wanting to give HOSSA more 1st unit PP time -if so with kane on the other wing and Toews centering,there is no spot for Bickell or Brouwer to do a front of the net park and stay ...Rather there could be more pasing among the forwards to get a one timer off as opposed to a shot from the point for the park in front of the net screener to tip in,screen so it goes in,or cash in a rebound.

ALAS we may be abandoning the HOLMSTROM/FRANZEN park and stay screen type '
for the some guy better be brett Hull and one time from the circle (Kane or Hossa) type. If it doesn't work,they can g to Plan B and hope BICKLL or BROUWER can duplicate BUFF in that aapect--but honestly I think PLAN A had better work.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:09 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisgruntledHawkFan View Post
John Scott isn't paid to play hockey. Comparing him with an unmotivated yet immensely talented physical specimen is foolish.
......hence the ya never know...

...and not many remotely thought Buff was immensely talented player barely a year ago. Notice his draft position....he was a project that turned out. Not saying John Scott has the tools Buff does, but you give a guy a chance and even a Bob Probert can net 30 goals....alls I'm sayin...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:16 AM
massivegoonery

Quote:

...and not many remotely thought Buff was immensely talented player barely a year ago. Notice his draft position....he was a project that turned out. Not saying John Scott has the tools Buff does, but you give a guy a chance and even a Bob Probert can net 30 goals....alls I'm sayin...
You, of all people, should have recognized it, Mr. I-think-I'm-some-kind-of-USA-hockey-scout.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:04 AM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by Araxen View Post
Bwahahahaha!!! ....................

But seriously, if my years of being a Canuck fan hold true, that will likely be John Scott - if he is converted to forward. He has definite potential to become a Canuck killer, he's already broke Bolduc's face.

I could see Atlanta tanking and Chicago re-acquiring Byfuglien, though.

GL, next season.

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 09:24 AM
salty justice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
Bwahahahaha!!! ....................

But seriously, if my years of being a Canuck fan hold true, that will likely be John Scott - if he is converted to forward. He has definite potential to become a Canuck killer, he's already broke Bolduc's face.

I could see Atlanta tanking and Chicago re-acquiring Byfuglien, though.

GL, next season.
I don't think we can afford him even at the deadline unless we send back a guy making over $1M. From what I understand if we make it through the season with our current roster we can add $2.5M at the deadline assuming Beach isn't on the team.

salty justice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 12:23 PM
DisgruntledHawkFan

Quote:

I certainly knew that Byfuglien had the tools to be that player. Just had no desire/brain.

I am willing to bet any amount of real dollars that John Scott never cracks ten goals in the NHL. Five would be an absolute miracle.

You are horribly under-selling the ability of Probert/Byfuglien.

Old
08-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Isnt Buff ir-replaceable? I mean the guy was DOMINANT during the post season....

Only real chance of replacing him is to bring him back when he is a RFA next year

maybe get rid of huet and campbell and w the NHL investigating hossas damm contract again, the hawks may have a good shot at signing some of their old players back...ie BUFF

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

We don't need the next Buff.

Buff stepped up his game in the POs. Maybe Dowell does that and scores some goals like Druce or Pisani

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2010, 04:55 AM
DayNah
Ship it donk!

I think people are in for a rude awakening in Atlanta.

DayNah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 01:18 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

Good call on that one. This kid is thoroughly impressive. I don't know exactly what it is about him... he just has 'it'. I hope he'll make his name known in a big way next year. I'm very excited to see what the future has for him.

Edit: I think Bickell could be our next Buff. If he just realizes how big he is and stays physical like he did this year in the playoffs, he could be a one man wrecking crew. They're kinda similar in some ways... both very big guys who seem to forget how big they really are. Both have questionable work ethics/consistency problems. Both have pretty decent speed for big guys. Buff had a wicked slapshot and Bicks has a wicked wrister.

Bickell already exceeded Buff's production (when on the Hawks) in his rookie year. If he can put it all together consistently, he could be just as important to our team or more than Buff.

Last edited by Jeffrey Lebowski: 06-02-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote