HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC Thread

Old
06-16-2011, 05:23 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
I don't deny it one bit. I said it, what I'm saying is it was an exaggeration that you took a little too literally. Anyone who thinks GSP would walk through the MW champ with ease doesn't follow MMA.

As far as TKO's go in a Diaz vs Shields debate they are meaningless, because the fight wouldn't be decided standing up. Well rounded meaning what exactly? Shields wrestling is about a gazillion times better than Diaz's and more of weapon than Diaz's striking, actually Diaz striking would be of zero use to him from his back.

I know you have friends in MMA who train with GSP so you're an expert. I have a 3rd cousin who's a surgeon too.

The most dominate factor in the fight would be the combination of Shields grappling/AJJ,diaz's boxing wouldn't ever be a factor, much the same as won't in the GSP fight. Diaz has the biggest weaknesses of them all, his TDD and wrestling is borderline terrible. I suppose you can call that more rounded if you value striking more than wrestling, I don't.
I didn't take it to heart. You said you never ever said those things and that I put words in your mouth, so I brought forth the proof you did in order to remove that misconceived notion that I invented it. I couldn't care less about the Silva vs GSP debate, I'm not a believer that it'll ever happen.

Why is wrestling such a better advantage than striking? Oh I know, it's because that's what you have to say in order to have an argument.
You're also wrong, striking comes in to play while on the ground. It helps with the GnP, and even off your back, with a good reach, it can force your opponent to move and then perhaps open up for a transition, reversal, or submission. To say it has no barring on the ground is extremely ignorant.

Wrestling is a good skill to have, but in no way does it outweigh striking abilities. I also fail to understand how it's irrelevant because it won't come into play. GSP didn't decide not to go to the ground with Shields because he wanted to stay away from his wrestling abilities. It was due to his BJJ. Explain to me why GSP will want to fight this one on the ground? Diaz is better than Shields on the ground, but even if you want to give Shields the edge there, it doesn't mean Diaz isn't good there.
I don't think it'll happen on the ground.

As for my friends, it was just another example of me inventing things because you didn't believe me when I first said it. Never claimed it made me an expert, I'm not an expert. Just an internet poster that's been watching MMA for a very long time.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:56 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I didn't take it to heart. You said you never ever said those things and that I put words in your mouth, so I brought forth the proof you did in order to remove that misconceived notion that I invented it. I couldn't care less about the Silva vs GSP debate, I'm not a believer that it'll ever happen.

Why is wrestling such a better advantage than striking? Oh I know, it's because that's what you have to say in order to have an argument.
You're also wrong, striking comes in to play while on the ground. It helps with the GnP, and even off your back, with a good reach, it can force your opponent to move and then perhaps open up for a transition, reversal, or submission. To say it has no barring on the ground is extremely ignorant.

Wrestling is a good skill to have, but in no way does it outweigh striking abilities. I also fail to understand how it's irrelevant because it won't come into play. GSP didn't decide not to go to the ground with Shields because he wanted to stay away from his wrestling abilities. It was due to his BJJ. Explain to me why GSP will want to fight this one on the ground? Diaz is better than Shields on the ground, but even if you want to give Shields the edge there, it doesn't mean Diaz isn't good there.
I don't think it'll happen on the ground.

As for my friends, it was just another example of me inventing things because you didn't believe me when I first said it. Never claimed it made me an expert, I'm not an expert. Just an internet poster that's been watching MMA for a very long time.
I don't agree with any of this, so we'll just agree to disagree. I certainly don't agree with GSP being afraid of Shields BJJ and not wrestling, it was a combination of both, more so his wrestling.

You'll have to explain to me why GSP took him to ground after the fight, because he's going to. He wasn't one bit afraid of Shields BJJ on it's own. He will employ the same strategy that he employed against BJ Penn, who also is an outstanding BJJ practitioner.

Wrestlers almost always have the advantage against strikers. Especially superbly talented ones like Jake Shields.

Diaz does not have any advantage against Shields on the ground, shields is a million times better grappler AINEC.

Your striking off the back statement is bunch of crap spewed to try and discredit me. IT won't be any kind of factor at all. I suspect you know this already.

When GSP takes Diaz down and GnP him repeatedly then what? Come post you were wrong, ok? It will tell me not only were you wrong about Diaz, you were wrong about both Diaz and Shields and who GSP feels is the bigger threat on the ground. I'll go with the WW champ.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 11:46 AM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
When GSP takes Diaz down and GnP him repeatedly then what? Come post you were wrong, ok?
Wrong about what exactly??
Wrong about GSP winning? No, I think he will win.
So wrong about what? That GSP will likely take this by decision? I'll be surprised if he won any other way.
And I really don't know why you're so sensitive on the matter. I don't care if you end up being wrong, I don't need you to come back here and eat crow, I really couldn't care less.

You talk about Diaz as if he's a low end fighter. Not even better than Hardy or Alves, which is absolutely comical.

And you didn't respond to me previous post where you called a few, diaz nuthugghers. Do you realize those nuthuggers are all claiming GSP will win?

Old
06-17-2011, 12:30 PM
neofury*

Quote:
So wrong about what? That GSP will likely take this by decision? I'll be surprised if he won any other way.
And I really don't know why you're so sensitive on the matter. I don't care if you end up being wrong, I don't need you to come back here and eat crow, I really couldn't care less.

You talk about Diaz as if he's a low end fighter. Not even better than Hardy or Alves, which is absolutely comical.

And you didn't respond to me previous post where you called a few, diaz nuthugghers. Do you realize those nuthuggers are all claiming GSP will win?
Don't even bother dude

He's so blinded by his GSP fanboyism that if you don't basically say any opponent of GSP's is a joke he won't even listen to what you have to say and will just regurgitate the same crap.

Apparently we're all Diaz nuthuggers just for recognizing and respecting his skill, even though all of us predict GSP will win

Like I said don't even bother, the guy is so bias that he can't fathom GSP losing, as if in the world of MMA a guy has never lost a title or a fight for that matter

I'm not saying GSP is going to lose I'm just saying don't sell Diaz as short as you have been. It's going to be a good fight and if it isn't I can safely say it will likely be as a result of GSP playing it safe not due to a lack of skill or effort on Diaz part. They can't all be GSP but to talk so lowly of his competition is comical at best.

You do realize to get to fight in the UFC you have to be pretty good right? You can't just be some scrub and they'll allow you to fight GSP. Even as much as I was unhappy with Shields two UFC performances and felt he was rushed to fight GSP prior to proving enough in the UFC, I still recognize and respect all the fights, hard work and skills it took to get where he is today.

With Diaz you act like he's some clown fighting at some illegal bar fight

He's a world class athlete who is a seriously skilled fighter. He isn't just going to stand with his arms up and let GSP knock him the **** out. The naivety about Diaz or bias in favor of GSP in this thread is downright comical

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:00 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

I didn't say anything about Hardy, he's a bum. I was talking about the competiveness of the fight, when it's a complete **** kicking, come on back and man up about it. I don't think Diaz is a low end fighter, I think he's 6th or 7th in the division, which is pretty good, but out of GSP's class.

I'm not a huge GSP fan, but I know for a fact he will beat Diaz without any problem. Diaz will be as beat up as BJ Penn was or worse.

Yes, I realize you still think GSP will win, but it's your odd position about Diaz being a difficult opponent, moreso than Shields that makes me wonder about your position. You suggested he needed a tune up fight before taking on GSP, but think Diaz will be fine without one. Shields is a much more accomplished fighter than Diaz, so your position is quite confusing to say the least.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 02:30 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

Quote:
I didn't say anything about Hardy, he's a bum. I was talking about the competiveness of the fight, when it's a complete **** kicking, come on back and man up about it. I don't think Diaz is a low end fighter, I think he's 6th or 7th in the division, which is pretty good, but out of GSP's class.

I'm not a huge GSP fan, but I know for a fact he will beat Diaz without any problem. Diaz will be as beat up as BJ Penn was or worse.

Yes, I realize you still think GSP will win, but it's your odd position about Diaz being a difficult opponent, moreso than Shields that makes me wonder about your position. You suggested he needed a tune up fight before taking on GSP, but think Diaz will be fine without one. Shields is a much more accomplished fighter than Diaz, so your position is quite confusing to say the least.
It's only confusing because you think Shields is better than Diaz, and your argument is that Shields is a better wrestler/grappler, a MILLION times better. You also bring up amazing point that striking is irrelevant because GSP will put him down, and use his wrestling skills to GnP him. Diaz will be defenceless and won't even scratch GSP.
If Diaz is 7th, I'd like you to tell me who's ahead and why.

Also, Penn threw in the towel because he was exhausted. His conditioning, as always, was his main enemy. Diaz's conditioning is as good as anybody else's.

Old
12-07-2011, 12:28 PM
NeverGoingToWin

GSP is out for 10 months with a torn ACL.

What is it with all these athletes in Montreal getting serious knee injuries? (This is a joke)

NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:35 PM
xposbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post

What is it with all these athletes in Montreal getting serious knee injuries? (This is a joke)
Wow, I know Rory McDonald has an injury too, he just bailed on his last UFC. But let's hope he doesn't do a Markov and need cleanups after. He's about the only bright thing this city has right now. (Wait, wasn't a chick from Mtl in playboy recently?)

xposbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 12:46 PM
neofury*

Quote:
It's only confusing because you think Shields is better than Diaz, and your argument is that Shields is a better wrestler/grappler, a MILLION times better. You also bring up amazing point that striking is irrelevant because GSP will put him down, and use his wrestling skills to GnP him. Diaz will be defenceless and won't even scratch GSP.
If Diaz is 7th, I'd like you to tell me who's ahead and why.

Also, Penn threw in the towel because he was exhausted. His conditioning, as always, was his main enemy. Diaz's conditioning is as good as anybody else's.
Yeah... that's like saying "BJJ isn't important, I'm fighting a boxer"

Of course striking is important, all it takes is one good hit to connect. Striking is as important as anything else in the sport.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:03 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatley#15 View Post

He only fights once every 15 months anyways, this is bad for the UFC now they have to rig some more matches until Diaz can fight GSP.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 01:12 PM
Bad Natey
#feelthelove

Quote:
Originally Posted by xposbrad View Post
Wow, I know Rory McDonald has an injury too, he just bailed on his last UFC. But let's hope he doesn't do a Markov and need cleanups after. He's about the only bright thing this city has right now. (Wait, wasn't a chick from Mtl in playboy recently?)
I know he's not from MTL, but Sam Stout (my favourite fighter and he's from Ontario) had to pull out of his last fight too.

Bad Natey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 03:10 PM
Heimerdinger

Make a fight of Condit vs Diaz for the title, injury in MMA aren't like in hockey. GSP fight once, sometimes twice a year, so its not like it will change anything.

I used to be a big fan of GSP in 2004-2008. Nowdays he is a new fighter, not agressive, not fighting for the fans, its a boring, lay and pray.

Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, Jon Jones, Frankie Edgar, Junior Dos Santos and Dominik Cruz are all way more entertaining, electrifying fighters who make you stay on the edge of your seat.

I miss the old days when UFC wasn't that popular and DREAM and Pancrase had some crazy wicked fights.

Who miss Bass Rutten ? I do. Or I prime Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock etc.

Heimerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 04:07 PM
PKarey Plekoretty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
Make a fight of Condit vs Diaz for the title, injury in MMA aren't like in hockey. GSP fight once, sometimes twice a year, so its not like it will change anything.

I used to be a big fan of GSP in 2004-2008. Nowdays he is a new fighter, not agressive, not fighting for the fans, its a boring, lay and pray.

Anderson Silva, Jose Aldo, Jon Jones, Frankie Edgar, Junior Dos Santos and Dominik Cruz are all way more entertaining, electrifying fighters who make you stay on the edge of your seat.

I miss the old days when UFC wasn't that popular and DREAM and Pancrase had some crazy wicked fights.Who miss Bass Rutten ? I do. Or I prime Chuck Liddell, Tito Ortiz, Ken Shamrock etc.
The old days when DREAM put on crazy fights? haha what old days are you referring to, 2008, as in the year the organization was founded?

Pride used to kick as, if that's what you are referring to

PKarey Plekoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Damn, I was looking forward to that fight with Diaz.
Heal well Georges!

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 09:43 PM
pine*

Jesus, did anyone else see Mir break Nogueira's arm? That was hard to watch... but unreal turn of events.

god dammit.

pine* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:11 PM
Delat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pine View Post
Jesus, did anyone else see Mir break Nogueira's arm? That was hard to watch... but unreal turn of events.

god dammit.
And Jones did a great job also, after Machida's good punch I tought it would be way tougher for him.

Delat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 10:13 PM
pine*

damnnn... crazy finish.

No one can beat Jones.

Old
12-11-2011, 11:02 AM
NeverGoingToWin

http://tsn.ca/mma/story/?id=382483

UFC is coming back to Montreal on March 24th, 2012.

Last edited by NeverGoingToWin: 12-11-2011 at 11:11 AM.
NeverGoingToWin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-11-2011, 11:03 AM
pine*

awwwwwww yeah

Old
12-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Hugo Sham

Brock Lesnar VS Alistair Overeem

hey guys anyone watching this? anyone have any updates or a good live stream?
thx

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

pretty good card so far... think there are streams posted in the mma thread on p2.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:05 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

http://kiwi-sportz.eu/stream1.html

It's gonna be a hell of a fight. I'm going with Overeem knockout.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:07 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

How long before the main event? I don't really care for fighting, but main events are usually interesting.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:08 PM
Hugo Sham

thx guys, much appreciated - what time are they scheduled to fight?>

Hugo Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-30-2011, 10:12 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~