HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC Thread

Old
05-21-2011, 09:55 AM
habsjunkie2*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
That is what would happen though in my opinion. Silva would smash GSP and then probably retire lmao.
I think you haven't got a clue tbh.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 10:50 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Please, GSP isn't just any wrestler, there is no way AS would be able to defend his takedowns, Sonnen isn't the first one to expose this kink in Silva's Armour. GSP would have him on the ground within 2minutes.

GSP will GnP Diaz like there's no tomorrow. I like Diaz, but he hasn't got a realistic chance.

GSP has a clear and decisive advantage in wrestling and this is how he would expose Diaz, and he would do it with ease imo.
I think you're putting GSP on a huge pedestal.
Remember what happen during the Sonnen fight?? Because if I remember correctly, he lost by submission while in the dominant position. Not only that, but he also tested positive for Steroids before the fight.
Maybe you want to talk about Lutter, but hey, he was submitted as well.
It really doesn't matter if GSP can put Silva down and keep him there. Silva has proven to be capable of submitting fighters even from his back.
Also, GSP would have 15 more lbs to carry over, which means he would lose some of his speed and agility. That doesn't come from me only, even he admitted it, which is why he's very hesitant to make a jump. That's mainly why I don't think there will be such a fight.

And why is it always about GSP with you? You are giving absolutely no chance, none whatsoever, to a MORE DOMINANT fighter, that has much, much better striking (arguably the best in the UFC), a lot more power, that would have a big reach advantage, that has one of the best clinches in the game, great submissions, and he's been able to keep his calm and pull out victories even when he's been dominated. He's had more title defenses and his fights rarely go to decisions.
I mean, if you favor GSP to win that fight, it's all good, it's not like you're choosing a loser, he is the WW Champ after all. But the way you dismiss any chance for Silva to win is quite surprising tbh.

I think GSP only has one chance of winning that fight, by wrestling and, again, taking it to a decision. But even then, he would have to be careful not to give any openings to Silva while on the ground. He would also have to escape the precise punches Silva can land while shooting.

I don't think you're giving any credit to Silva. I'm not sure you realize he's been a much more dominant fighter than GSP.

As for Diaz, GSP would be the favor, but I don't see him beating him up with GnP. Diaz lost once like that and it was in 2002, early in his career. Also, GSP couldn't finish other fighters that were worse than Diaz. Alves has no wrestling skills at all, and yet GSP couldn't finish him. The last man he TKOd was Matt Serra, who had no business being the Champ in the first place.
So, I don't really understand why you would expect GSP to just steamroll through a Champion fighter.
If GSP wins this, I see it by Decision again.

Last edited by Kriss E: 05-21-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:01 PM
GlobalNews

I don't always agree with Kriss E.

But when I do... it's because he's right.

(Except on Jake Shields, I understand he ONLY beat Kampmann in the UFC but he beat Dan FREAKIN' Henderson in his last Strikeforce fight. If that happened in UFC would that not have sufficed as his "extra fight needed."

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:02 PM
GlobalNews

Quote:
I think you haven't got a clue tbh.
Cool Story, bro.

Some people would say the same thing to you.

Old
05-21-2011, 12:29 PM
Boardish

GSP is a way better overall fighter than Sonnen though. He wouldn't be as strong as him at 185 probably, but he's better everywhere else. Nobody can shoot a takedown as fast and as effectively as GSP. It's not really fair to say that if Silva can pull out a submission on Sonnen off his back, he could do it to GSP too. St-Pierre is in another league grappling wise (compare to Sonnen). Chael gets caught pretty often (nearly lost the same way again Marquardt).

Silva was hurt during his fight against Sonnen. He had injured his back during training I think. I'm 100% positive that if GSP had took that exact same fight, he would have won pretty easily.

A fully healthy AS vs GSP is another story though. I'm sure it would be a really tight fight. I agree that if GSP gets the win, it would be by decision. But I guess Silva would still be a slight favorite.

Boardish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
I don't always agree with Kriss E.

But when I do... it's because he's right.

(Except on Jake Shields, I understand he ONLY beat Kampmann in the UFC but he beat Dan FREAKIN' Henderson in his last Strikeforce fight. If that happened in UFC would that not have sufficed as his "extra fight needed."
I know you'll disagree, but I don't think it suffices. He was 40 and way over the hill imo, even if he's the LHW Champ. Not only that, but if I remember correctly and more importantly, they fought for the Middleweight Championship.

In any event, what's done is done, Shields has to go back down the ladder and work his way up again.

Old
05-21-2011, 12:44 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boardish View Post
GSP is a way better overall fighter than Sonnen though. He wouldn't be as strong as him at 185 probably, but he's better everywhere else. Nobody can shoot a takedown as fast and as effectively as GSP. It's not really fair to say that if Silva can pull out a submission on Sonnen off his back, he could do it to GSP too. St-Pierre is in another league grappling wise (compare to Sonnen). Chael gets caught pretty often (nearly lost the same way again Marquardt).

Silva was hurt during his fight against Sonnen. He had injured his back during training I think. I'm 100% positive that if GSP had took that exact same fight, he would have won pretty easily.

A fully healthy AS vs GSP is another story though. I'm sure it would be a really tight fight. I agree that if GSP gets the win, it would be by decision. But I guess Silva would still be a slight favorite.
There a big reason why GSP looks like he's in a league of its own when speaking of grappling/wrestling at the WW division. It's because he has a huge size advantage over his opponents. The guy is a monster for his size. He always (or almost) looks much bigger than his opponents.
That would change right off the bat in the MW division. Not only would he lose some speed and agility because he will have 15 more pounds to carry, but his opponents will also be at least 15lbs heavier than he's used to. So that means it'll be tougher to take them down and control them.

To be honest, I don't give much of a chance to GSP. I'm pretty sure he knows this as well and that's why you've never heard him clearly say he's interested in that fight.

Old
05-21-2011, 12:48 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think you're putting GSP on a huge pedestal.
Remember what happen during the Sonnen fight?? Because if I remember correctly, he lost by submission while in the dominant position. Not only that, but he also tested positive for Steroids before the fight.
Maybe you want to talk about Lutter, but hey, he was submitted as well.
It really doesn't matter if GSP can put Silva down and keep him there. Silva has proven to be capable of submitting fighters even from his back.
Also, GSP would have 15 more lbs to carry over, which means he would lose some of his speed and agility. That doesn't come from me only, even he admitted it, which is why he's very hesitant to make a jump. That's mainly why I don't think there will be such a fight.

And why is it always about GSP with you? You are giving absolutely no chance, none whatsoever, to a MORE DOMINANT fighter, that has much, much better striking (arguably the best in the UFC), a lot more power, that would have a big reach advantage, that has one of the best clinches in the game, great submissions, and he's been able to keep his calm and pull out victories even when he's been dominated. He's had more title defenses and his fights rarely go to decisions.
I mean, if you favor GSP to win that fight, it's all good, it's not like you're choosing a loser, he is the WW Champ after all. But the way you dismiss any chance for Silva to win is quite surprising tbh.

I think GSP only has one chance of winning that fight, by wrestling and, again, taking it to a decision. But even then, he would have to be careful not to give any openings to Silva while on the ground. He would also have to escape the precise punches Silva can land while shooting.

I don't think you're giving any credit to Silva. I'm not sure you realize he's been a much more dominant fighter than GSP.

As for Diaz, GSP would be the favor, but I don't see him beating him up with GnP. Diaz lost once like that and it was in 2002, early in his career. Also, GSP couldn't finish other fighters that were worse than Diaz. Alves has no wrestling skills at all, and yet GSP couldn't finish him. The last man he TKOd was Matt Serra, who had no business being the Champ in the first place.
So, I don't really understand why you would expect GSP to just steamroll through a Champion fighter.
If GSP wins this, I see it by Decision again.
Sonnen has been tapped out more times then Peter Mcneeley has been knocked out. I wouldn't really use that as argument in AS's favor. He was 30 seconds from being completely destroyed by a not so great fighter.

Sonnen has been submitted 8 freaking times, no way GSP puts himself in a vulnerable position like this guy has time and time again.

Obviously I don't think GSP would walk in and beat him to a pulp as GSP has had difficulty finishing fights, but AS wouldn't punch him out then retire, no chance. GSP isn't gonna put on 15 lbs next week and go fight AS, when he does, he'll be ready and he's gonna win the fight, likely by the decision, but I don't think AS will have an answer for GSP's wrestling, it's the style of fighter that gives AS problems. The only obstacle GSP has to overcome is the weight and strength and if done properly, won't be much of an issue. Obviously Silva has a chance against anyone, but I think it would pretty much be a 50-50 split on who wins this one, and i'm thinking GSP will do it.

Last edited by habsjunkie2*: 05-21-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old
05-21-2011, 12:50 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Cool Story, bro.

Some people would say the same thing to you.
If you think GSP hasn't got a shot, you're the fool.

Old
05-21-2011, 01:06 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Sonnen has been tapped out more times then Peter Mcneeley has been knocked out. I wouldn't really use that as argument in AS's favor. He was 30 seconds from being completely destroyed by a not so great fighter.

Obviously I don't think GSP would walk in and beat him to a pulp as GSP has had difficulty finishing fights, but AS wouldn't punch him out then retire, no chance. GSP isn't gonna put on 15 lbs next week and go fight AS, when he does, he'll be ready and he's gonna win the fight, likely by the decision, but I don't think AS will have an answer for GSP's wrestling, it's the style of fighter that gives AS problems. The only obtacle GSP has to overcome is the weight and strength and if done properly, won't be much of an issue. Obviously Silva has a chance against anyone, but I think it would pretty much be a 50-50 split on who wins this one, and i'm thiknig GSP will do it.
But what you fail to admit, however, is that no matter how much trouble a fighter seems to give to AS, he ends up winning.
I think it would be more of the same with GSP making the jump.

If AS would drop down to 170, that might be different. I think GSP would have a good chance of wearing him out. But at 185, I don't give GSP much of a chance. Not even 50%.

Old
05-21-2011, 01:34 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
But what you fail to admit, however, is that no matter how much trouble a fighter seems to give to AS, he ends up winning.
I think it would be more of the same with GSP making the jump.

If AS would drop down to 170, that might be different. I think GSP would have a good chance of wearing him out. But at 185, I don't give GSP much of a chance. Not even 50%.
It's ok to be wrong.

Old
05-21-2011, 02:24 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
It's ok to be wrong.
That's only something guys who are often wrong say

Old
05-21-2011, 02:25 PM
habsjunkie2*

In all seriousness though. I was kinda being over the top earlier, but I think the fight can and will happen, but I also think GSP has a pretty good chance. I don't think it will be a cakewalk for AS as many suggest. GSP won't go into a fight unprepared, this much we know, but I will concede that AS would obviously be the favorite.

Edit: I also think GSP has a better shot against AS than Diaz has against GSP. I just don't see it, he has very little take down defense and should make for a pretty easy victory imo.

Old
05-21-2011, 02:34 PM
Kriss E

I wish I could be as confident as you, but I simply can't. I don't think GSP vs Silva will ever happen. I would be very happy to be wrong about that however.

Old
05-21-2011, 03:01 PM
GlobalNews

Of course GSP has a shot. I never once said he didn't. GSP is an elite level fighter, and on any given night anyone can win. (i.e Matt Serra knocking GSP the **** out.) I just see Anderson Silva having many more ways of beating GSP than GSP has of beating Anderson.

Anderson Silva is way, way bigger than GSP. His frame is bigger than GSP's. GSP has NEVER been in the ring with someone that big. No matter how much muscle he (GSP) puts on he will never be as big as Anderson.

That said. I really do think the fight will happen. Dana seems pretty convinced that it's the biggest fight of all time. And once Uncle Dana wants to see something, it's pretty much going a guarantee that it's going to happen.

Old
05-21-2011, 03:44 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Of course GSP has a shot. I never once said he didn't. GSP is an elite level fighter, and on any given night anyone can win. (i.e Matt Serra knocking GSP the **** out.) I just see Anderson Silva having many more ways of beating GSP than GSP has of beating Anderson.

Anderson Silva is way, way bigger than GSP. His frame is bigger than GSP's. GSP has NEVER been in the ring with someone that big. No matter how much muscle he (GSP) puts on he will never be as big as Anderson.

That said. I really do think the fight will happen. Dana seems pretty convinced that it's the biggest fight of all time. And once Uncle Dana wants to see something, it's pretty much going a guarantee that it's going to happen.
I agree that Silva has more ways to win the bout, but what I think you may have overlooked is that GSP likely knows this as well and he will attempt to beat AS by his biggest weakness. Through take downs and ground and pound. I don't think AS superior striking would come into play much if GSP has his way. I think GSP's style is a nightmare for Silva. Obviously this is all for not if GSP can't nullify the size advantage AS has.

GSP is a tactical genius when it comes to fighting. If this fight happens he'll be the most prepared he can be. I'll guarantee that.

Old
05-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
I agree that Silva has more ways to win the bout, but what I think you may have overlooked is that GSP likely knows this as well and he will attempt to beat AS by his biggest weakness. Through take downs and ground and pound. I don't think AS superior striking would come into play much if GSP has his way. I think GSP's style is a nightmare for Silva. Obviously this is all for not if GSP can't nullify the size advantage AS has.

GSP is a tactical genius when it comes to fighting. If this fight happens he'll be the most prepared he can be. I'll guarantee that.
I don't think anybody has overlooked that. Everyone knows GSP's best game plan is to take AS down. It would be suicidal to try and fight standing up.
A big reason why people have started to feel GSP's fights are boring is because he is too much of a tactician, so I don't think it would be a surprise to anybody that GSP tries to wrestle him down.

Of course, if GSP has his way, then AS will lose. But that's just it, we don't think that GSP will have his way. I don't think GSP would be as good at 185 as he is now at 170, no matter how hard he trains, it'll be his first fight at 185 and versus the Champ, arguably the most dominant Champ ever in the UFC and best p4p in the World.

I think AS is a bigger nightmare to GSP than the other way around. Like I said, even if he outwrestles AS, he still has to neutralize him in the bottom position and not make mistakes. GSP would have to fight a perfect match in order to win imo. So, ya, he has some chances, but they aren't high.

Old
05-21-2011, 06:36 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
I don't think anybody has overlooked that. Everyone knows GSP's best game plan is to take AS down. It would be suicidal to try and fight standing up.
A big reason why people have started to feel GSP's fights are boring is because he is too much of a tactician, so I don't think it would be a surprise to anybody that GSP tries to wrestle him down.

Of course, if GSP has his way, then AS will lose. But that's just it, we don't think that GSP will have his way. I don't think GSP would be as good at 185 as he is now at 170, no matter how hard he trains, it'll be his first fight at 185 and versus the Champ, arguably the most dominant Champ ever in the UFC and best p4p in the World.

I think AS is a bigger nightmare to GSP than the other way around. Like I said, even if he outwrestles AS, he still has to neutralize him in the bottom position and not make mistakes. GSP would have to fight a perfect match in order to win imo. So, ya, he has some chances, but they aren't high.
we'll have to agree to disagree. AS would be a slight favorite and I'd bet the odds makers would agree. AS has also had troubles of his own finishing fights as of late and against much poorer fighters than GSP. The size/strength advantage is overstated IMO if GSP devotes his training to that direction. Everyone always references the struggles bj faced when jumping weight, but bj always shows up out of shape even at 155, so jumping to 170 had his tank empty after 1rd, wouldn't happen to GSP. The fight would be an equally tough matchup for both fighters.

Old
05-21-2011, 06:43 PM
Habs

Quote:
The fight would be an equally tough matchup for both fighters.
Wait, so you don't think AS would not have finished koschek, Fitch or Shields? I can't see any of them taking AS to 5 round right, I see nothing but destruction from AS. GSP hasn't finished a big welterweight, they have all been decisions. The only exception being Heiron, all of his opponents have been around the same size, or smaller.

I don't see how fighting a much bigger fighter in AS could favor GSP in any aspect, and I'm a GSP nuthugger.

Last edited by Habs: 05-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.
Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-21-2011, 06:58 PM
Shadyone33

Quote:
Please, GSP isn't just any wrestler, there is no way AS would be able to defend his takedowns, Sonnen isn't the first one to expose this kink in Silva's Armour. GSP would have him on the ground within 2minutes.

GSP will GnP Diaz like there's no tomorrow. I like Diaz, but he hasn't got a realistic chance.

GSP has a clear and decisive advantage in wrestling and this is how he would expose Diaz, and he would do it with ease imo.
I agree. I think GSP takes him down and beats him up. I don't think he'd play the jits game against Diaz so I could see GSP just battering him.

Shadyone33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-22-2011, 10:14 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Wait, so you don't think AS would not have finished koschek, Fitch or Shields? I can't see any of them taking AS to 5 round right, I see nothing but destruction from AS. GSP hasn't finished a big welterweight, they have all been decisions. The only exception being Heiron, all of his opponents have been around the same size, or smaller.

I don't see how fighting a much bigger fighter in AS could favor GSP in any aspect, and I'm a GSP nuthugger.
WTH are you talking about? GSP wouldn't be fighting in MW as a WW, he would obviously have to bulk up. Try keeping up with the conversation, what AS would do to Josh Koschek has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about.

Old
05-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Habs

Quote:
WTH are you talking about? GSP wouldn't be fighting in MW as a WW, he would obviously have to bulk up. Try keeping up with the conversation, what AS would do to Josh Koschek has absolutely nothing to do with what we're talking about.
Let me slow it down for you. Unless GSP can also grow 3" and add 5" to his reach, this is a terrible matchup for George. He isn't used to fighting people as big as AS, he has never fought anyone with that calibre of striking or reach.

As for the other part of my post : I can't see Sylva having a problem finishing the same fighters GSP has taken to 5 rounds. Can you keep up with the conversation now?

Old
05-22-2011, 12:06 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Let me slow it down for you. Unless GSP can also grow 3" and add 5" to his reach, this is a terrible matchup for George. He isn't used to fighting people as big as AS, he has never fought anyone with that calibre of striking or reach.

As for the other part of my post : I can't see Sylva having a problem finishing the same fighters GSP has taken to 5 rounds. Can you keep up with the conversation now?
I should hope not, GSP's lack of finish has nothing to do with his lack of skill or lack of size, it's because he takes the safe route, I feel if he really had to finish these guys he could, but comparing what an already much bigger AS would do to them doesn't really hold any value in this discussion what so ever. GSP would need adequate time to bulk up. He would finish GSP too if they decided to fight as they are tomorrow, but that's not what we're talking about. Try to keep up.

Old
05-22-2011, 12:31 PM
Habs

Quote:
I should hope not, GSP's lack of finish has nothing to do with his lack of skill or lack of size, it's because he takes the safe route, I feel if he really had to finish these guys he could, but comparing what an already much bigger AS would do to them doesn't really hold any value in this discussion what so ever.
Are you kidding, or just trolling? Anyone that remotely follows GSP knows how disappointed he was that he never finished Fitch, Hardy, Penn or Shields. Did you not see GSP punch the cage when he never K.O'd Penn? Did you not watch a single Primetime when all he talked about was how he wanted to quiet his critics, by knocking someone out?

lol, he tried to finish them, it has nothing to do with a safe gameplan. He couldn't finish Hardy with the armbar, he couldn't K.O Kos with his one eye, and there's nothing wrong with it. But thinking he could somehow move up to a catch-weight, and duke it out with AS, and suddenly find his gift of the Knockout is ridiculous.

Quote:
GSP would need adequate time to bulk up. He would finish GSP too if they decided to fight as they are tomorrow, but that's not what we're talking about. Try to keep up.
Try to keep up? Try to take off your rose-colored glasses and understand AS is a monster compared to GSP. The fight will have nothing to do with weight, as much as height and reach, and its a terrible matchup for Georges.

Old
05-22-2011, 01:32 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Are you kidding, or just trolling? Anyone that remotely follows GSP knows how disappointed he was that he never finished Fitch, Hardy, Penn or Shields. Did you not see GSP punch the cage when he never K.O'd Penn? Did you not watch a single Primetime when all he talked about was how he wanted to quiet his critics, by knocking someone out?

lol, he tried to finish them, it has nothing to do with a safe gameplan. He couldn't finish Hardy with the armbar, he couldn't K.O Kos with his one eye, and there's nothing wrong with it. But thinking he could somehow move up to a catch-weight, and duke it out with AS, and suddenly find his gift of the Knockout is ridiculous.

Try to keep up? Try to take off your rose-colored glasses and understand AS is a monster compared to GSP. The fight will have nothing to do with weight, as much as height and reach, and its a terrible matchup for Georges.
I never once said I expect GSP to knockout AS, but I think he could battle him to a decision.