HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marcus Johansson

Old
06-06-2011, 01:47 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Speed doesn't necessarily mean offense. Hell, we've had both Mike Grier and Rico Fata in a Caps jersey recently.

I also don't see a willingness to shoot from Mjo. obviously he's a rookie, but he was 12th among forwards in terms of shots/toi, beating out only Gordon, Steckel,and Bradley among regulars. certainly, his shot totals should increase, but as they do, I would expect his sterling 12.7% shooting percentage to decline.

I certainly haven't seen offensive creativity any near that of Zetterberg from Johansson. To me, he's a Legwand clone. And to reiterate, that is awesome.

BrooklynCapsFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:00 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
if the Caps acquired a large veteran center with checking first skills for the 3rd line, the Caps have matchup options.
I think that guy's already on the team: Brooks Laich. They haven't shown much of an inclination to put him in that role and he'll quite likely price himself out of it but he'd do a better job than anyone available on the UFA market.

The three-time defending Selke Trophy winner is right about Johansson's size so I don't think it matters too much these days. It can certainly be advantageous in certain situations but instincts, three zone tenacity and stick positioning are just as important (if not more important). It's also why I'm not really concerned about Eakin at center as long as he meets the overall strength standards when it comes to puck/board battles. Nonetheless a shutdown 3C would be beneficial in the short-term so as to free up 19/90 to concentrate more exclusively on offense, though whether they have shutdown wingers for that sort of role as compliments is another question.

We saw glimpses of creativity from 90, especially at times when he was in more of a top six role. Much of the time he seemed to surprise his linemates, though, and it's that lack of cohesiveness offensively that really has to improve. As we've seen, it's tough to sustain being an offensive powerhouse by relying so much on individualism.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:06 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Why did Backstrom have an off year and off playoffs, and also, how do you know what he believes in? Thanks.

What he believes in today doesn't matter how many points he scored centering Ovi in a wide open system two years ago. It led to an embarassing playoff defeat that certainly didnt help me believe in the system. It showed the system had flaws and that the coach wouldn't adjust.

I personally believe he or others may be burned out on the system. Or no longer believe in the system, not unlike myself, after seeing it largely shut down for 5 straight months. Our offense and PP were downright ugly.

I would think that would tend to make players question the system. But I am not in the game. So I must be wrong, right?

I think it is absurd to claim to know whats in a players mind.
Well, that's exactly what you're doing. that and finding a way to blame everything on Boudreau or McPhee.

It's funny, tons on here want the players to be held accountable, yet don't hold them at all accountable themselves.

Here's the bottom line: It was a bit of everyone's fault. The coaching in the Tampa series was sub-par, the make-up of the team didn't get it done, and most of the players **** the bed.

I said it before, but that doesn't mean the organization is broken and doomed to failure. The Caps are still one of the strongest organizations, top to bottom, in the NHL. That's why they've gotten back-to-back #1 seeds in the East. That's why they were able to play 4 rookies in major roles and still do as well as they did. There's plenty of very young talent on the team that's primed for the better part of a decade's worth of playoff runs.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:25 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
I think that guy's already on the team: Brooks Laich. They haven't shown much of an inclination to put him in that role and he'll quite likely price himself out of it but he'd do a better job than anyone available on the UFA market.

The three-time defending Selke Trophy winner is right about Johansson's size so I don't think it matters too much these days. It can certainly be advantageous in certain situations but instincts, three zone tenacity and stick positioning are just as important (if not more important). It's also why I'm not really concerned about Eakin at center as long as he meets the overall strength standards when it comes to puck/board battles. Nonetheless a shutdown 3C would be beneficial in the short-term so as to free up 19/90 to concentrate more exclusively on offense, though whether they have shutdown wingers for that sort of role as compliments is another question.

We saw glimpses of creativity from 90, especially at times when he was in more of a top six role. Much of the time he seemed to surprise his linemates, though, and it's that lack of cohesiveness offensively that really has to improve. As we've seen, it's tough to sustain being an offensive powerhouse by relying so much on individualism.
I may just be thinking too conventionally. You could be right about Laich as well.

Johansson was growing so quickly as the season past that its easy to imagine that his linemates weren't ready for each step as he grew. He also never had the same linemates for any significant stretches. I know he caught Ovechkin by surprise on several occasions.

Here's a question. What happens with Johansson if he continues to progress while Backstrom repeats 2010/2011 again?

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I personally believe he or others may be burned out on the system. Or no longer believe in the system, not unlike myself

Quote:
I think it is absurd to claim to know whats in a players mind.
Are these not contradictory statements, RH? You are telling me what you believe Backstrom is thinking and then saying its absurd to claim to know what he is thinking?

Old
06-06-2011, 02:31 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
If Backstrom is a championship player, it doesn't happen. Certainly not to the extent of going from arguably the Caps most reliable playoff player to a complete disappearing act. I can buy it by degrees, but from one extreme to the other, i dont.
I'm sorry but I was kidding. I figure when someone quotes OJ everyone knows they are kidding but no biggie.

I completely agree with you that RH seems to think all the players hate Boudreau even though there has been absolutely nothing in the wind that would indicate anything even remotely close to that outside of the team appearing frustrated against Tampa.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Speed doesn't necessarily mean offense. Hell, we've had both Mike Grier and Rico Fata in a Caps jersey recently.

I also don't see a willingness to shoot from Mjo. obviously he's a rookie, but he was 12th among forwards in terms of shots/toi, beating out only Gordon, Steckel,and Bradley among regulars. certainly, his shot totals should increase, but as they do, I would expect his sterling 12.7% shooting percentage to decline.

I certainly haven't seen offensive creativity any near that of Zetterberg from Johansson. To me, he's a Legwand clone. And to reiterate, that is awesome.
first 20 games when the games were loose 90 had 24 shots on goal. in the final 20 games of the season when the games are tighter he had 30 shots on goal. in the playoffs he had 14 shots in 9 games.

my overall view is that looking at johansson's season as a single total draws a different picture than looking at the incrimental improvements as the season progressed.

Old
06-06-2011, 02:43 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Are you comparing him to the current Zetterberg or the 20 year old version of him? Zetterberg didn't even come to the NHL until he was 22 and he didn't become a dominant scorer in the league until he was 25.

Millhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 03:03 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
Are you comparing him to the current Zetterberg or the 20 year old version of him? Zetterberg didn't even come to the NHL until he was 22 and he didn't become a dominant scorer in the league until he was 25.
I'm actually comparing him to David Legwand, who had a nearly identical rookie year as Johansson. Though Legwand was a full year younger.

Old
06-06-2011, 03:20 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

Here's a question. What happens with Johansson if he continues to progress while Backstrom repeats 2010/2011 again?
It's unlikely....he just had his worst season as a Pro in North America in 4 years, BUT if he has another 65-70 point season, you play 19 and 90 as 1a/1b. Worse even if that were to happen again, it would mean Ovy's having another 30g season and that would be a bigger issue...

I see Mojo longterm as a 2nd/3rd line scoring center who can play D. He's got explosive wheels. He could very easily end up being an all star calibre player IMO.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Atlas

If Boudreau is a loser coach the players know it better than anyone. The players' lack of faith in "the system" would explain the Caps fails since the Montreal fiasco. Even TF Sloan is concerned.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 04:58 PM
The Instigator

Quote:
I'm actually comparing him to David Legwand, who had a nearly identical rookie year as Johansson. Though Legwand was a full year younger.
I like this comparison from what I've seen.

The Instigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 05:19 PM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
If Boudreau is a loser coach the players know it better than anyone. The players' lack of faith in "the system" would explain the Caps fails since the Montreal fiasco. Even TF Sloan is concerned.
coaches loses the room so badly that the team completely changes how it plays hockey midseason and finishes 1 in conference. then continues to quit on him thru a first round 5 game series win.

teams that lose faith and quit on their coach drop like a rock like the penguins did coming off a finals run to get therrien canned. teams dont tune out their coach as they rise from 5th to 1st down the stretch run of a season.

Old
06-06-2011, 05:24 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:

To me it felt like many of the goals MaJo scored were very important in the flow of the game. So personally I don't care if he decides not to take the Gretzky approach as he seems to have a knack for picking his spots. Though his shot totals will have to go up as it would be nice to see 20 to 25 goals from him, not to mention the fact that he should be promoted to the second line along with appearances on the first line like we saw late in the season, so both of those should increase his shot totals in which case we'll see how much of an overstatement his 12.7% shooting percent is.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 08:59 PM
Jasper17

I know many are still unsure of his offensive upside, but I love MoJo. He has quickly become one of my favorite players on the team and I think he is the perfect center for Semin and a very nice fit as the 2nd line center on this team. I think he will be a 50 point guy and play a great two way game if not next year very soon.

I know some want the caps to bring in another center but I disagree. With Backstrom playing 20 per night and MoJo more than likely play 16-17 (played 15 per last year, 18 in playoffs) that only leaves 12 min or less for our next two guys.

It would be one thing if we could bring in an excellent center/rw who can play both positions to get enough Ice time. But I really see no need to bring in another pure center.

Sign Gordo and then go with the 3 swedes. We can address the center spot later if needed as other than Richards there isn't anything I see better than MoJo anyway.

Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Regarding icetime...off the top of my head, I believe Mjo averaged just 70 seconds per game on the pk. I'd like to triple that. The kid is excellent a man down. That could shave about a minute off Nick's Icetime-which I'm also cool with.

With that in mind, I think there is room for another center.

Old
06-06-2011, 09:52 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
IMHO...being a draftnik all these years the flashes that MoJo showed this year strongly lean towards a reliable 2c projection. Hell the kid is only going to get stronger. If he puts in the training and work ethic he'll get there.

06-06-2011, 10:08 PM
Robert Theodorson

He's a good center who'll be knocking on the door of playing on the 1st line if Backstrom doesn't get his **** together.

That's my talent analysis

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:27 PM
Vabeachblue

I still would like to sign another center or resign arnott

Vabeachblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 10:54 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper17 View Post
I know many are still unsure of his offensive upside, but I love MoJo. He has quickly become one of my favorite players on the team and I think he is the perfect center for Semin and a very nice fit as the 2nd line center on this team. I think he will be a 50 point guy and play a great two way game if not next year very soon.

I know some want the caps to bring in another center but I disagree. With Backstrom playing 20 per night and MoJo more than likely play 16-17 (played 15 per last year, 18 in playoffs) that only leaves 12 min or less for our next two guys.

It would be one thing if we could bring in an excellent center/rw who can play both positions to get enough Ice time. But I really see no need to bring in another pure center.

Sign Gordo and then go with the 3 swedes. We can address the center spot later if needed as other than Richards there isn't anything I see better than MoJo anyway.
I share your faith in Mojo, but I still think a vet is needed somewhere down the middle. Marty Reasoner would be a good get for the 3rd line pivot.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 11:58 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

I'm also terrified of earmarking such an important position to someone with Mjo's injury history.

I feel the same way about Green, Varlamov and Semin.

Old
06-07-2011, 01:27 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
I'm also terrified of earmarking such an important position to someone with Mjo's injury history.

Well...Sure injury history should play some way into the what a GM does..but the panic mode for a GM when the history isn't completely definitive is hen its a GM panic move.

usiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 07:16 AM
txpd

Quote:

the alternative there was not to take him in the draft and not issue him a roster spot and a budget line.

so, what now? you want to trade him? that has to be what you want, because if he has a 20-25 goal season and he takes his defensive work to another level yet, he's going to earn a nice contract extension during his 3rd season. a contract you obviously would not be in favor of committing to.

Old
06-07-2011, 09:20 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1300
Quote:
coaches loses the room so badly that the team completely changes how it plays hockey midseason and finishes 1 in conference. then continues to quit on him thru a first round 5 game series win.

teams that lose faith and quit on their coach drop like a rock like the penguins did coming off a finals run to get therrien canned. teams dont tune out their coach as they rise from 5th to 1st down the stretch run of a season.
Grasping at straws. Just how do you guage 22 players faith levels in a coach? Is it not possible to lose a few players, the rest, still giving their all and believing? Do you measure their % effort level?

Rest assured not every example is as clear cut as the Therrien canning you like to talk about, yet at the same time, you overlook that it was a springboard to a cup. A simple coaching change.

Our team dropped like a rock after trading a 20 goal player that bounced up and down all 4 lines, Flash. Yet I seem to remember you and others using that freefall of the team to defend Bruce more than ever, busy countering every bad thing said about Bruce. You put your faith in Bruce and you were let down in the playoffs yet again.

I bet someone could argue during our 9 game ugly skid, that it looked like they gave up on the coach. It was during 24/7, right after a trade, so it was a unique time that is hard to guage exactly what was happening.

Forced to play boring defensive hockey, the players may have realized, ok, this is even worse. Bruce is still here. George punked us out. And no one is going to pot 20 goals at this pace, our next contract, crap.

I think a falling faith level in a coach occurs at a long slow rate... highlighted by repeated playoff failures. If the coach doesnt get canned, do they obstensibly go on strike, and never give their all until they get their way?

They would be blackballing their own career. Who would want a spoiled get my way UFA that boycotts his coach?

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-07-2011, 10:32 AM
Jasper17

Quote:
Regarding icetime...off the top of my head, I believe Mjo averaged just 70 seconds per game on the pk. I'd like to triple that. The kid is excellent a man down. That could shave about a minute off Nick's Icetime-which I'm also cool with.

With that in mind, I think there is room for another center.
Maybe, but I don't thing they are going to bring in anyone that would expect to play more than 15 minutes per game. We don't need that. Arnott may be a perfect fit, but can we afford him?

IMO, I would rather sign Gordo and then put any extra money in forward depth/defense. Not saying a vet center wouldn't be nice, just not sure its our main issue at the moment.

Then again, forward depth is prob the easiest thing to aquire at a deadline too. Look at what Vancouver did this year. And we could always sign Gordo and use him or the new Swede as a 4th line RW. In fact that may be a good idea to help the Sjogren get used to the NHL. Bruce did play Backstrom as a winger at first as well.

Last edited by Jasper17: 06-07-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Jasper17 is offline   Reply With Quote