HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Marcus Johansson

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-08-2011, 07:15 AM
  #126
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,286
vCash: 50
I never sell the kid short. I think he would be our top line center if Nick wasnt here for the next 7 years. Pair him with Ovi / stick him on PP1 for a year, I think he would have the numbers to back it up. I think he exceeded expectations last year. I think he has great vision and passing skills, and a nice shot to boot.

I think his strength and power is in his legs and like most kids his age, needs to develop upper body strength, and learn to shield the puck.The latter, important in the new obstruction free NHL.

We have lots of big wingers to play him with so it shouldnt hold him back much next season..

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 08:09 AM
  #127
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,660
vCash: 500
His regular season numbers were very comparable to Legwand & Langkow in their rookie campaigns, both coming a year after being drafted. What's pretty rare was his playoff productivity at that age and if he can carry over that late season comfort and confidence he has definite 2C potential as soon as this fall. He needs get a lot better on faceoffs and get a little more physically mature but the ingredients are there otherwise and it all revolves around his skating. He made some big strides over the course of the season and seems like a player that will really strive to put it all together.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 09:35 AM
  #128
Mothra
Registered User
 
Mothra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 7,357
vCash: 500
I think he looks to be a player......his upside is very high. Funny to remember how many people were upset by the pick because he wasnt that high on "their board"

Mothra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 11:32 AM
  #129
LetsGoBears
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 5,304
vCash: 500
I love the fact that he did hit that rookie wall, but busted his and worked through it. Really hope he's been taking this off season seriously because he could be a hell of a wild card to the rest of the league.

LetsGoBears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:22 PM
  #130
Funkyalligator
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,658
vCash: 500
The only reason that mojo wasn't that high was due to his 2 concussions but he hasn't had any problems since. I'm really looking forward to his second year...hopefully he'll have really worked on faceoffs in the off season because that was his biggest issue.

Funkyalligator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2011, 02:31 PM
  #131
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 14,389
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkyalligator View Post
The only reason that mojo wasn't that high was due to his 2 concussions but he hasn't had any problems since. I'm really looking forward to his second year...hopefully he'll have really worked on faceoffs in the off season because that was his biggest issue.
3 concussions per Gare Joyce.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:29 PM
  #132
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
As for my projection of MJ's upside, its just a guess. But if you look at recent history, high end players aren't really making leaps early in their careers. They come up pretty much fully formed.
Disagree strongly with this. Sure the generational guys show up at PPG+ (Crosby, Malkin), but look at some of these rookie/2nd year numbers for guys who are legit #1 centers:

Eric Staal (18) 81gp, 11g, 20a, (19) Lockout
Getlaf (20) 57gp, 14g, 25a, (21) 82gp, 25g, 33a
Marleau (18) 74gp, 13g, 19a (19) 81gp, 21g, 24a
Thornton (18) 55gp, 3g, 4a (19) 81gp, 16g, 25a
Sedin (20) 82gp, 8g, 20a (21) 82gp, 16g, 20a

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:44 PM
  #133
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Disagree strongly with this. Sure the generational guys show up at PPG+ (Crosby, Malkin), but look at some of these rookie/2nd year numbers for guys who are legit #1 centers:

Eric Staal (18) 81gp, 11g, 20a, (19) Lockout
Getlaf (20) 57gp, 14g, 25a, (21) 82gp, 25g, 33a
Marleau (18) 74gp, 13g, 19a (19) 81gp, 21g, 24a
Thornton (18) 55gp, 3g, 4a (19) 81gp, 16g, 25a
Sedin (20) 82gp, 8g, 20a (21) 82gp, 16g, 20a
I would be happy with a 20-30 year. Hopefully we can also get something like a 25-70 year from Backstrom.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2011, 03:59 PM
  #134
Beukeboom Fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 11,455
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Do you expect that from him as soon as next year?

Further, Vancouver, Philadelphia, Tampa, Boston, and Dallas have 2 men in the top 30. San Jose and Carolina have 3. Being a top 60 player doesn't make you an ideal 2nd liner.
Are you saying the Cap's can't compete because they've got $16M tied up in Ovechkin & Semin? Because that's the conclussion I seem to reach from your posts. You seem to boil everything down to has the best center depth, and obviously a team with AO & AS making what they do it is impossible for a team to also afford to have 2 or 3 elite centers.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 02:04 PM
  #135
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 6,086
vCash: 500
The kid has great speed and a good sense for the game. He will be a good one.

But...he needs to be FAR more competitive along the boards...I see him at time just flat out avoid putting himself in those positions. He uses the "flyby" poke check or just flat doesn't use his body.

This is most likely b/c he just hasn't filled out yet and is very young. Once he learns this his game will raise a notch or two.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 06:52 PM
  #136
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
If he can get that freaky lower body strength that Backstrom has he'll be much better, both on offense and in the dot, probably on defense as well though I don't ever really see him as a checker. Not to be mistaken for a guy that isn't tough though.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:04 PM
  #137
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,286
vCash: 50
I think he needs to be paired with 2 beefy wingers for now.

Another reason I am looking forward to trying Laich at 2C. I am looking forward to a beefed up 2nd line ft. Brouwer at LW.

the "flyby" poke check

Let's say he isnt much a knubler. But thinking about it more. I have seen the flyby but maybe its when he is retreating back to cover Sarge and Co. I will watch for it this season. Our C's have to cover almost any time the puck moves along the boards back toward point. And anticipate it happening. He cant get caught on the boards when Erskine moves up.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:19 PM
  #138
Dirtbag59
Registered User
 
Dirtbag59's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think he needs to be paired with 2 beefy wingers for now.

Another reason I am looking forward to trying Laich at 2C. I am looking forward to a beefed up 2nd line ft. Brouwer at LW.

the "flyby" poke check

Let's say he isnt much a knubler. But thinking about it more. I have seen the flyby but maybe its when he is retreating back to cover Sarge and Co. I will watch for it this season. Our C's have to cover almost any time the puck moves along the boards back toward point. And anticipate it happening. He cant get caught on the boards when Erskine moves up.
I can ee that. And it never hurts a teams game along the boards to have two guys like that of Brouwer, Laich, or Ward. However with MaJo I especially want to pair him up with a sniper. Then again I guess we could sort of consider our three right Defenseman to be long range threats.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2011, 07:51 PM
  #139
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,286
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
I can ee that. And it never hurts a teams game along the boards to have two guys like that of Brouwer, Laich, or Ward. However with MaJo I especially want to pair him up with a sniper. Then again I guess we could sort of consider our three right Defenseman to be long range threats.
I think he has an underrated shot. It almost reminds me of belanger's, We saw so little of it last year. I dont remember flubbed passes or shots for that matter. He spent much of the year with Chimera.

I rest my case. But he did fine with Chimera. And Fehr. I think he exceeded everyone's expectations last year. He had bulky wingers. I see that wise again.

So the chances to flash his O were limited. He only got time on PP1 at the very end of the year. After months of futility Bruce finally tried him. He didnt show much in limited chances, but with our lame duck PP, a kid like that was just passing it around the edge. They didnt run a play for him. I want to see his one timer on PP1 this year. That quick slot shot.

Chimera MJ Ward

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 12:16 AM
  #140
chrjosric
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 120
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think he has an underrated shot. It almost reminds me of belanger's, We saw so little of it last year. I dont remember flubbed passes or shots for that matter. He spent much of the year with Chimera.

I rest my case. But he did fine with Chimera. And Fehr. I think he exceeded everyone's expectations last year. He had bulky wingers. I see that wise again.

So the chances to flash his O were limited. He only got time on PP1 at the very end of the year. After months of futility Bruce finally tried him. He didnt show much in limited chances, but with our lame duck PP, a kid like that was just passing it around the edge. They didnt run a play for him. I want to see his one timer on PP1 this year. That quick slot shot.

Chimera MJ Ward
too many stone hands..

chrjosric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 05:50 AM
  #141
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 24,286
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrjosric View Post
too many stone hands..
George doesnt seem to mind paying for stone hands. These guys make 3rd line money. They need to be like energy guys since Bruce doesnt use a checking line, and Bruce's 3 scoring line vision has largely failed anyways. we can put Chimera on 4 but then that pushes Hendricks up. I see him trending more towards a scratch than a bump up.

Most seem to prefer MJ + Semin but I am not optimistic the LW can carry the physical load for the both of them. I want to see a change on our second line this year. Our 2nd line has been inconsistent for years.

I also want to see Semin moved up if MJ is on 2 and its not working. Bruce has to get Ovi Nick Semin to be an effective scoring line. Why cant he get that line to work, but then he turns to it desperate late in games??

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 06:34 AM
  #142
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I think he needs to be paired with 2 beefy wingers for now.

Another reason I am looking forward to trying Laich at 2C. I am looking forward to a beefed up 2nd line ft. Brouwer at LW.

the "flyby" poke check

Let's say he isnt much a knubler. But thinking about it more. I have seen the flyby but maybe its when he is retreating back to cover Sarge and Co. I will watch for it this season. Our C's have to cover almost any time the puck moves along the boards back toward point. And anticipate it happening. He cant get caught on the boards when Erskine moves up.
I like MoJo a lot and he has 2nd line potential.

But.....I do not see why the Caps need to use Laich at center when they got Perreault waiting to step in and Eakin soon to come up to the NHL waiting in the wings.

Here is an interesting stat about MP that a lot of people overlook:
He is 7th on the takesaways/giveaways in the NHL at even strength playing only 21 games:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372128

The ones ahead of him there are Thornton/Datsyuk/Roy/Dupuis/Nielen/Tiews......pretty good company there.

I find him the most underrated Caps on here.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 07:04 AM
  #143
Atlas
Registered User
 
Atlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 3,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post

Here is an interesting stat about MP that a lot of people overlook:
He is 7th on the takesaways/giveaways in the NHL at even strength playing only 21 games:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=372128

The ones ahead of him there are Thornton/Datsyuk/Roy/Dupuis/Nielen/Tiews......pretty good company there.

I find him the most underrated Caps on here.

I like him, too, though he's not a sure thing (not that you are saying he is).

He's another guy that's been in Bruce's doghouse so I don't expect anything out of him until Bruce and McPhee get canned.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 07:16 AM
  #144
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 39,816
vCash: 500
because perreault is not a 2nd line nhl center, he's a marginal nhl player at best. eakin is a professional rookie the same age as johansson. having eakin and johansson at 2c and 3c is not going to work come playoffs

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:04 AM
  #145
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
because perreault is not a 2nd line nhl center, he's a marginal nhl player at best. eakin is a professional rookie the same age as johansson. having eakin and johansson at 2c and 3c is not going to work come playoffs
And how do you know this?

The guy was not given his chance....

You prefer a bunch of Euro players like the Sedin sisters?

Bring me some good ole Canadian blood on that team.....and MP has a heart to bleed for this team.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 08:31 AM
  #146
Brave Sir Robin
Registered User
 
Brave Sir Robin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Most seem to prefer MJ + Semin but I am not optimistic the LW can carry the physical load for the both of them. I want to see a change on our second line this year. Our 2nd line has been inconsistent for years.

I also want to see Semin moved up if MJ is on 2 and its not working. Bruce has to get Ovi Nick Semin to be an effective scoring line. Why cant he get that line to work, but then he turns to it desperate late in games??
I disagree completely. Ovi - Backs - Semin should only be used in very specific situations. There are various reasons for that. That line blows defensively and is terrible without the puck. Ovi doesn't play defense, and Semin doesn't defend enough to pick up the slack from #8. I often see this line get trapped in their own zone for their entire shift.

Secondly, having Nick and the two Alexes together pretty much limits us to just one scoring line. Teams with one scoring line don't win in the playoffs, period.

If Mojo can get better on faceoffs and a little stronger (which is not out of the realm of possibility) he would be a great center for Semin. With his speed he can create space for 28 to snipe. Furthermore, Semin loves puck possession, and the cycle game, which Mojo is perfect for. Laich on the other hand can't really move or hold the puck.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:03 AM
  #147
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Old Town
Posts: 18,696
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
And how do you know this?

The guy was not given his chance....

You prefer a bunch of Euro players like the Sedin sisters?

Bring me some good ole Canadian blood on that team.....and MP has a heart to bleed for this team.
Yeah, Mathieu Perreault is exactly the type of player that comes to mind when I think of 'good ole Canadian blood'. He's pretty much the embodiment of grit.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:17 AM
  #148
chsb
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Yeah, Mathieu Perreault is exactly the type of player that comes to mind when I think of 'good ole Canadian blood'. He's pretty much the embodiment of grit.
I don't know if you noticed....

Perreault is far from afraid of playing along the boards and more often than not will come out of it with the puck....

And look at his injury record at the pro level; he is rarely injured.

He is good in tight spaces to come out with the puck and pass it to open man.

He is excellent around the net too.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:22 AM
  #149
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 27,606
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
The kid has great speed and a good sense for the game. He will be a good one.

But...he needs to be FAR more competitive along the boards...I see him at time just flat out avoid putting himself in those positions. He uses the "flyby" poke check or just flat doesn't use his body.

This is most likely b/c he just hasn't filled out yet and is very young. Once he learns this his game will raise a notch or two.
AGREED.....he seemed so weak to me last year. Strength has to be his main priority this offseason. I would love to see 10lbs of muscle added.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:24 AM
  #150
Langway
Moderator
Intangibles
 
Langway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 20,660
vCash: 500
If Perreault were not given exclusively soft minutes pretty much those takeaway/giveaway numbers wouldn't look nearly as impressive. He's been a sheltered player with the Caps, although I think he can be a contributing regular in the NHL. It's just probably not going to be in DC under the circumstances. His -7 stretch in his last seven games last spring was pretty tough and I'd bet they want more two-way stability at 3C. Laich offers that. Perreault and Eakin do not.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:20 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.