HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Marcus Johansson

Old
07-21-2011, 09:27 AM
twominute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
I disagree completely. Ovi - Backs - Semin should only be used in very specific situations. There are various reasons for that. That line blows defensively and is terrible without the puck. Ovi doesn't play defense, and Semin doesn't defend enough to pick up the slack from #8. I often see this line get trapped in their own zone for their entire shift.

Secondly, having Nick and the two Alexes together pretty much limits us to just one scoring line. Teams with one scoring line don't win in the playoffs, period.

If Mojo can get better on faceoffs and a little stronger (which is not out of the realm of possibility) he would be a great center for Semin. With his speed he can create space for 28 to snipe. Furthermore, Semin loves puck possession, and the cycle game, which Mojo is perfect for. Laich on the other hand can't really move or hold the puck.
And stick Ward/Brouwer on the other wing to clean up around the net/corners. Sounds good to me.

twominute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:28 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chsb View Post
I don't know if you noticed....

Perreault is far from afraid of playing along the boards and more often than not will come out of it with the puck....

And look at his injury record at the pro level; he is rarely injured.

He is good in tight spaces to come out with the puck and pass it to open man.

He is excellent around the net too.
Is that you pucksandbooks?

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Roccoman

good to see you again Mr. Perreault!

we all know you want your son to be a full time NHLer - but his track record thus far suggest he is best suited to injury call up duty... since his production tails off after a few games up.

realistically he is scoring line center only... and between Brooks & MaJo there are 2 more consistent options that also have better size.

give my best to the missus!

Roccoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 09:50 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Sir Robin View Post
I disagree completely. Ovi - Backs - Semin should only be used in very specific situations. There are various reasons for that. That line blows defensively and is terrible without the puck. Ovi doesn't play defense, and Semin doesn't defend enough to pick up the slack from #8. I often see this line get trapped in their own zone for their entire shift.

Secondly, having Nick and the two Alexes together pretty much limits us to just one scoring line. Teams with one scoring line don't win in the playoffs, period.

If Mojo can get better on faceoffs and a little stronger (which is not out of the realm of possibility) he would be a great center for Semin. With his speed he can create space for 28 to snipe. Furthermore, Semin loves puck possession, and the cycle game, which Mojo is perfect for. Laich on the other hand can't really move or hold the puck.
I disagree on the one scoring line thing. If the masses think that Laich and MJ can't be the foundation of a 2nd scoring line, I call bunk. Why are they here and projected to be on 2 to many. Do we already know that Laich MJ Brouwer would fail? I don't. I am optimistic of it succeeding, actually.

But really OBS failing is at the root of the problem. That line, cannot, or will not, play defense, is what we hear. Ever play hockey? Defense is nothing but hard work IMO. They can do it, but choose to cherry pick well because, that's our offense it would seem. Or, Bruce can't get that line to work, and the masses blame the players. I am tired of it. Ovi looks tired too.

Nick can play D and is strong on the boards. Ovi can do both but I think Bruce doesnt want him to play very defensively. Semin can play very strong defensively but is weak on the boards. I see no reason why that line cannot compete in the NHL, they can do a little bit of everything, including Ovi on the massive forecheck. It comes down to coaching. Can anyone explain why that line cannot compete in the NHL?

MJ seems projected by most to be our 2C this year. I think he + Semin = not enough grit and board work. So I want changes this year.

The pressure is on Bruce to get the most from OBS no matter where they are.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:02 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roccoman View Post
good to see you again Mr. Perreault!

we all know you want your son to be a full time NHLer - but his track record thus far suggest he is best suited to injury call up duty... since his production tails off after a few games up.

realistically he is scoring line center only... and between Brooks & MaJo there are 2 more consistent options that also have better size.

give my best to the missus!

I think it would be useful for you to know that I am not even remotely related to MP.

But everybody with eyes to see from outside Washington knows that MP has been very good every time we could see him on the big screen.

If you fail to see that he would be much stronger in his stay with a little of encouragement from the Management rather than being labelled "call up", there is very little I can do for you.

It is very strange to see a winger like Laich, because of size, be preferred to a naturally fit and talented centerman with every attributes necessary....except supposedly the size.

At 23 YO, MP is ready for full time duty.

Call up or trade up!

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:38 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
I disagree on the one scoring line thing. If the masses think that Laich and MJ can't be the foundation of a 2nd scoring line, I call bunk. Why are they here and projected to be on 2 to many. Do we already know that Laich MJ Brouwer would fail? I don't. I am optimistic of it succeeding, actually.

But really OBS failing is at the root of the problem. That line, cannot, or will not, play defense, is what we hear. Ever play hockey? Defense is nothing but hard work IMO. They can do it, but choose to cherry pick well because, that's our offense it would seem. Or, Bruce can't get that line to work, and the masses blame the players. I am tired of it. Ovi looks tired too.

Nick can play D and is strong on the boards. Ovi can do both but I think Bruce doesnt want him to play very defensively. Semin can play very strong defensively but is weak on the boards. I see no reason why that line cannot compete in the NHL, they can do a little bit of everything, including Ovi on the massive forecheck. It comes down to coaching. Can anyone explain why that line cannot compete in the NHL?

MJ seems projected by most to be our 2C this year. I think he + Semin = not enough grit and board work. So I want changes this year.

The pressure is on Bruce to get the most from OBS no matter where they are.
Look, I agree that 8-19-28 could be better defensively. And yes, Ovi actually knows how to play defense, and the reason he doesn't is because Boudreau doesn't want him to wear himself out. Semin is actually underrated defensively because he doesn't play physically. Yet every season he has considerably more takeaways than giveaways.

Ye the fact remains that so far 8-19-28 hasn't been a game breaking line. Therefore it is simply not the optimal way of using our resources. I don't want Ovi digging behind then net on the forecheck. Any player can do it, and Knuble is sufficient for those kinds of jobs. Ovi needs to be in a position to score. Furthermore, neither one of our big 3 really knows how to screen a goalie, which is extremely effective. A line with two snipers like 8 and 28 is just not property balanced. Also, the fact that they would almost always face the opposition's best defesemen negates some of their effectiveness.

We haven't seen Brouwer - MJ - Laich, but it appears rather weak for a 2nd line, especially compared to other top teams.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:40 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Perreault should be on the roster this season. As the 13th/14th forward.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2011, 10:58 AM
chsb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Perreault should be on the roster this season. As the 13th/14th forward.
At least he would be there for practice.

chsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
exwhaler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
His regular season numbers were very comparable to Legwand & Langkow in their rookie campaigns, both coming a year after being drafted. What's pretty rare was his playoff productivity at that age and if he can carry over that late season comfort and confidence he has definite 2C potential as soon as this fall. He needs get a lot better on faceoffs and get a little more physically mature but the ingredients are there otherwise and it all revolves around his skating. He made some big strides over the course of the season and seems like a player that will really strive to put it all together.
Getting there....(before--contract signing last off-season; after--about a month ago):

exwhaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2011, 09:20 PM
HTFN

I think he's already one of my favorite players, just based on his speed, work ethic, and style.

HTFN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:01 PM
rocketxav9

how many points do you think he will have this season ?

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:03 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
how many points do you think he will have this season ?
There's a thread for all fantasy talk, which I'm guessing is the reason for your question. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=669213

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 02:05 PM
rocketxav9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
There's a thread for all fantasy talk, which I'm guessing is the reason for your question. http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=669213
thanks a lot

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 03:29 PM
CfAaPnS74

MJ will continue to progress. Whether he earns the second center position or not will be determined in camp and in these preseason games. Boudreau will go with the hot hand, so I'd expect MJ to bounce around a bit.

CfAaPnS74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:04 AM
ShutoutJunkie

The thing I don't get with Johansson is why he didn't spend time in the AHL. European players usually benefit more from getting used to the North American style game, and 24th overall picks rarely make the jump so quickly.

ShutoutJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:20 AM
txpd

he didnt need it

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:30 AM
ShutoutJunkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
he didnt need it
Are you saying he couldn't benefit from it? A team with as much depth as Caps fans claim their team has shouldn't be rushing 20 year olds into the lineup. Sometimes letting a player tear up the AHL for a year can really help their development.

ShutoutJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 08:48 AM
blokeyhighlander
May = :golfnana:

This guy, lawl.

MarJo turned in to one of our best players on the ice by the end of the season. His experience in the NHL from last season will go a long way in helping his game this season as we're more set up for a Cup run. A player with his speed needs to get used to the pace of the NHL to soundly develop his accompanying skills.

blokeyhighlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 09:41 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShutoutJunkie View Post
Are you saying he couldn't benefit from it? A team with as much depth as Caps fans claim their team has shouldn't be rushing 20 year olds into the lineup. Sometimes letting a player tear up the AHL for a year can really help their development.
sometimes. sometimes not. his 2nd half and his playoffs were outstanding particularly for a rookie. further, the capitals were not going to find a better player available on a one year contract.

Old
10-04-2011, 10:13 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Johansson already had two years experience playing in a pro league with a talent level at least on pat with the AHL. The only real question was his ability to adapt to small ice. I think Washington made the right choice-and it really wasn't a very difficult one

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Atlas

I still don't know what to make of Mojo. Is he good enough and consistent enough offensively to be the 2C on a Cup winner? He has shown a lot of talent. He's a faster skater than almost anybody. But I'm not sold on his puck skills. Can he control the puck well enough to run a PP? Can he play gritty playoff defense? Someone has to play defense, right? I don't expect to know for sure about MJ for another 2 years.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:03 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
IMHO, MoJo seems like one of those prospects that is going to get better and better. Hell he just turned 21. The caps have definitely fast tracked his development by having him up all year last season. I think everyone should simply see how he improves in those areas that he needs the most work in this season.

Also one thing BB mentioned this preseason regarding the whole 2nd line 3rd line that they have a lot of options for matchups. If they are playing a team they need to field a shutdown 3rd line they can do that. Or if playing a team that they feel its better to have some balanced scoring in the 2nd and 3rd lines they can do that as well.

10-04-2011, 12:15 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
If what we've seen from Johansson in the preseason is what we can expect from him in the regular season, it's going to be a very long year.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Langway
Intangibles

The speed is obvious but the next step is adding a higher level of tenacity along the boards and in traffic. He's not soft away from the puck or in defensive situations but he still doesn't seem comfortable with/protecting the puck in contact or battle situations.

Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 12:37 PM
txpd

i think that will come with physical maturation and increased strenth.