HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Marcus Johansson

Old
10-04-2011, 12:44 PM
Blades of steel
log off.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
If what we've seen from Johansson in the preseason is what we can expect from him in the regular season, it's going to be a very long year.
I think you could say that about anyone based on pre season games, we looked sloppy, bad passes, couldn't run a PP still, etc. Once they get some real games in, new guys will mesh in, the rust will shake off. I really doubt mojo will be a concern this season.

Blades of steel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-04-2011, 01:05 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
If what we've seen from Johansson in the preseason is what we can expect from him in the regular season, it's going to be a very long year.
You could say that about a number of even more established players. One really can't be too concerned about preseason games especially when the whole team played wildly inconsistently which even makes individual evaluation harder. Even the justin bourne dude tweeted that offensive players hate having good pre-season stats...means nothing.

10-06-2011, 12:55 AM
nhlfan9191

Talented player.

nhlfan9191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 08:43 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

lmo, a little less talent, and at this point physical strength, but a lot more speed and balls than Backstom.

Vladiator16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 10:08 AM
RandyHolt
Kuz My Arse Beach

vCash: 50
MJ is fine, he just got punked by MP. A year from now, we will probably hear he didnt show up in the best shape, that 10KG was really fish pizza and cider lard. MP was to not be denied and we as fans of the TEAM should suck it up and like that we actually have a young C dominating in an otherwise meaningless stretch of games. If its the same old same old MP will fizzle and be waived, and the Q small O forward doubters (myself included) will proclaim victory. In the meantime, MJ has someone pushing him to be better.

We should have played the kid up in Montreal for game 6.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-06-2011, 01:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

How did he get punked by MP? Because MP was playing 2C in practice?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Mickstix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
How did he get punked by MP? Because MP was playing 2C in practice?
Yea, MP tricked him into tanking the preseason..

Seriously though, whatever his problem is (rust, injury, illness, etc.) I hope he gets over it quickly!! We need all our boys firing on all cylinders!!

Mickstix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Slapshot90
Rookie User

He is my favorite player. I believe he will have a break out 2nd year as the 2nd line Center.

Slapshot90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:33 AM
MoJoSauce

I've liked what I have seen from him so far. His speed is still there and he looks a lot tougher on his skates this season(That 10lbs seems to be helping him a bit). This year he is actually initiating some contact instead of simply trying to skate by. I think we have found our legit 2C.

Any notice his faceoffs seem to be much better this season than last year?

MoJoSauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 10:42 AM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJoSauce View Post
I've liked what I have seen from him so far. His speed is still there and he looks a lot tougher on his skates this season(That 10lbs seems to be helping him a bit). This year he is actually initiating some contact instead of simply trying to skate by. I think we have found our legit 2C.

Any notice his faceoffs seem to be much better this season than last year?
Half the time, it looks like he is just guessing when the puck is going to drop. Granted, it is only 3 games and he's only taken 35 draws, but he's only winning 40% right now. That really needs to improve if he is going to be taking a fair number of draws on the PP and PK.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Dirtbag59

Granted it's early in the year and I'm thrilled with the way he's played but from him what I want to see is more assists and more variety on goals. Can't get wraparounds forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Half the time, it looks like he is just guessing when the puck is going to drop. Granted, it is only 3 games and he's only taken 35 draws, but he's only winning 40% right now. That really needs to improve if he is going to be taking a fair number of draws on the PP and PK.
Maybe I'll have to go back to be sure but I've noticed going back to last season that on special teams he usually starts out on the wing. Only time he takes the draw on special teams is when someone like Laich gets kicked off the dot.

Last edited by Dirtbag59: 10-17-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Atlas

MoJo is an interesting kid. In the interest of measuring his value, what would other teams trade for MoJo?

Note: I don't want to trade him. I'm interested in what value the league might place on him.

I don't think he'd get a 1st round, top 10 draft pick back. And no player comes to mind as an equal value for the kid. Any ideas?

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 07:58 AM
Stewie G
Erskine for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
Granted it's early in the year and I'm thrilled with the way he's played but from him what I want to see is more assists and more variety on goals. Can't get wraparounds forever.

Maybe I'll have to go back to be sure but I've noticed going back to last season that on special teams he usually starts out on the wing. Only time he takes the draw on special teams is when someone like Laich gets kicked off the dot.
Which seemed to happen on pretty much every faceoff on Saturday.

I do remember seeing Mojo take a defensive zone draw on the PK and although I don't remember who the other forward was, Mojo was the first one in the dot. He shouldn't need someone out there to take draws for him. If he wants to be one of the top PKers and be center on PP2, he needs to go all Crosby over that facet of his game.

Stewie G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
10-18-2011, 08:35 AM
txpd

johansson's pk partner is knuble. he does take the occasional pk draw, but boudreau generally puts him out on the fly.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:28 PM
Qubax

Marcus Johansson

Nice 2nd year player.

What is the upside for Mojo, and how would you compare his upside to Backstrom?

Thanks...

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I think his upside is 85pts. His game is different than 19's. Mojo is blazing fast, where as Backstrom is a beast on the puck. Backstrom gets the edge in passing as one of the NHL's best IMO, but Mojo is very good. I think Mojo has the higher goal scoring upside. If Semin ever puts together the MVP season offensively we know he's capable of, Mojo could explode.

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:40 PM
tycoonheart

A stud in the making. Very quick and sneaky. He is not the physical player backstrom is. Their games are very different.

tycoonheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Capitlols
Blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCup2012 View Post
I think his upside is 85pts. His game is different than 19's. Mojo is blazing fast, where as Backstrom is a beast on the puck. Backstrom gets the edge in passing as one of the NHL's best IMO, but Mojo is very good. I think Mojo has the higher goal scoring upside. If Semin ever puts together the MVP season offensively we know he's capable of, Mojo could explode.
85 points is a bit of a stretch, imo. I think he'll be a solid two-way C putting up 55-65 points. He really needs to improve faceoffs though.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2011, 04:28 PM
Qubax

Would you trade Johansson for Mikael Granlund?

Old
11-05-2011, 04:33 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
Would you trade Johansson for Mikael Granlund?
Nope.

I've said it before, and I'm sticking by it, but I think Johansson's upside is very similar to Zetterberg. Really smart player that can dominate all over the ice and put up a PPG+.

Old
11-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Qubax

Interesting.

I guess the thing working in MoJo's favor is that the Caps have a lot of money tied up in Ovy, Backstrom etc., and they will be needing him in important roles for his cheap 0.900 contract this year and next.

Old
11-06-2011, 11:06 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Nice start for MoJo (5G, 7Pts, +2 in 11GP averaging 15mins/GP). He's definitely taking advantage of his skating and shot. Would be a good time to dangle him in the trade market to see what GMGM can get for him. With STL firing Payne in favor of Hitchcock, perhaps a window of opportunity may appear that allows WSH to find that one remaining missing ingredient -- a big power center, a.k.a, David Backes.

Step One:
Trade to STL:
MoJo $900K
Hamrlik $3.5M
COL 1st rounder

To WSH:
Backes $4.5M
Huskins $1M
STL 2nd rounder

Step Two:
WSH uses Poti's LTIR credits to squeeze 'em all in.

Step Three:
Stanley Cup

11-06-2011, 11:48 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Terrible trade for the Caps. Giving up a stud 21 year old center and a top 15 pick in a loaded draft for David Backes? GMGM would be an idiot to do so.

Old
11-07-2011, 05:23 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Here comes Mr Hard On for Backes. Like clockwork

The Caps aren't trading MoJo

Chimaera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 05:39 AM
txpd

teams dont trade top half of the lineup players on ELC's. It just doesnt happen.

txpd is online now   Reply With Quote