HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marcus Johansson

Old
11-07-2011, 10:23 AM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 500
Backes is one of the most overrated players in the league, at least by a certain group of fans. I wouldn't trade Johansson for him straight-up.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2011, 10:24 AM
IafrateOvie34

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Nope.

I've said it before, and I'm sticking by it, but I think Johansson's upside is very similar to Zetterberg. Really smart player that can dominate all over the ice and put up a PPG+.
I agree with your assessment and Majo isn't going anywhere.

IafrateOvie34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:24 AM
Qubax

His ice time has dipped the last couple of games into the 12-13 area, rather then the 15-17 area? Cause for concern, or ebb and flow of a season?

Qubax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 12:28 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Ebb and flow. Second line has been quiet, Boudreau's been riding the 3rd and 4th which have (generally) been playing well. The first line is reclaiming it's ice time with Backstrom and Ovechkin's productivity. Doesn't leave many minutes left for the second line.

Additionally, BB's been playing with a 8-19-28 group up front on the powerplay instead of 8-19-90 or 8-19-20, which has cut some time from Johansson.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2011, 05:17 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

I think his poor faceoff stats tell the tale of some of it as well. When they're winning it isn't a big deal. When down they've had Halpern and others take a zone draw and get off at times

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2011, 04:22 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
I think his poor faceoff stats tell the tale of some of it as well. When they're winning it isn't a big deal. When down they've had Halpern and others take a zone draw and get off at times
True. The best time to play the second line these days is on line changes, especially that little slap shot around the boards play they like to use when they're in their own zone.

Dirtbag59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:29 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Somewhat random question: have we seen Johansson at wing, and if so, did we like it?

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 12:44 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Somewhat random question: have we seen Johansson at wing, and if so, did we like it?
Not much this season, but it happened a few times last year. Not a huge difference either way. Still played a similar game, but was less frequently the player gaining the zone with the puck.

Old
11-16-2011, 01:07 PM
txpd

johansson's defensive instincts and coverage are outstanding. for a player of his age his defensive coverage is elite. as a rule you stick a young center on the wing because the defense is easier.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Dirtbag59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qubax View Post
His ice time has dipped the last couple of games into the 12-13 area, rather then the 15-17 area? Cause for concern, or ebb and flow of a season?
At some point or another Knuble needs to get back on that line. Don't get me wrong I love "Akin" (inside joke for people who got the Preds broadcast) but ever since Knuble got bumped down and Eakin/MP bumped up we've seen both the second and fourth line suffer in terms of scoring. Second line obviously misses that big body presence while the fourth line misses having that playmaker to open things up a bit. Keep the Chimera-Laich-Ward line together and you still get to have your very own shutdown line.

And on a side note Ovi needs to get back to the Left Wing. He looked absolutely lost on the right side last night, though he still managed to generate two or three decent scoring chances (one on a rocket from the slot that Rinne made a great save on and a pass that just barely missed Brouwer in front of the net).

Old
11-16-2011, 01:20 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Thanks. I had the thought because Duchene has seemed to benefit from moving to wing for the Avs. Since Johansson can't win a draw to save his life, it got me thinking a little.

Old
11-16-2011, 01:30 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Thanks. I had the thought because Duchene has seemed to benefit from moving to wing for the Avs. Since Johansson can't win a draw to save his life, it got me thinking a little.
I've toyed with the thought a fair bit. It especially could make sense if Kuznetsov or Galiev sticks at center, or if we draft a center in the early 1st (Grigorenko, Galchenyuk). With our current team composition and Laich clicking on the 3rd line, probably doesn't make as much sense for this season.

Old
11-16-2011, 02:05 PM
bonzilla

blank - blank - blank
blank - blank - blank
blank - Laich - blank
blank - blank - blank

This is how Bruce should start filling out every forward lineup card without exception!...and wtf; Green or no Green, please keep him off of the 1st PP point!

bonzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 02:26 PM
txpd

there's a lot more to center than the faceoff. johansson wont get better at faceoffs without repeatition. he'll get better

Old
11-16-2011, 02:32 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
there's a lot more to center than the faceoff. johansson wont get better at faceoffs without repeatition. he'll get better
That's true, but Johansson could get 10% better and still be losing more than half his draws. If he's just as good on the wing...

Old
11-16-2011, 03:12 PM
romao

Quote:
Recently Johansson showed some progress on the dot. By my calculation he won 40 of 81 draws (49.4%) in last 7 games. I know it's a small sample size, but still a good trend.
It took 3 years for Backstrom to become ~50% faceoff man, so I think we could expect the same from Johansson.

romao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-16-2011, 03:52 PM
txpd

Quote:
That's true, but Johansson could get 10% better and still be losing more than half his draws. If he's just as good on the wing...
thats sort of the point. the best face off guys are in the low to mid 50's. if he wins one more face off per 10 that he takes than he is now, he is at 50%. give it time.

He is a center and not a winger. His defensive coverage is outstanding in his own zone. His exit from his own zone by skating it out, passing it out or just getting it out is nearly mistake free. He is a waste on the wing. He's a center and he will get better at the faceoffs.

Old
11-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Dirtbag59

Did anyone else notice a lot of Erskine-Wideman last night? They actually played pretty good right up until the point where Erskine lost his stick.

Old
11-24-2011, 08:00 AM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
thats sort of the point. the best face off guys are in the low to mid 50's. if he wins one more face off per 10 that he takes than he is now, he is at 50%. give it time.

He is a center and not a winger. His defensive coverage is outstanding in his own zone. His exit from his own zone by skating it out, passing it out or just getting it out is nearly mistake free. He is a waste on the wing. He's a center and he will get better at the faceoffs.
For a winger, his shot is also nothing spectacular. Personally, I see three main problems in Mojo's game:

1. His vision of the ice has still a long way to go. He really hasn't been creating quality chances for Semin.
2. He often holds on to the puck for too long. That kind of ties in with the first.
3. Faceoffs, of course.

Bottom line is, we should keep him at center. He's only in his second year, and he has shown a lot of improvement. It's not like we have a shortage of wingers anyway.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-24-2011, 10:49 AM
Midnight Judges

Quote:
He was on the ice with Backstrom for a moment there last night. Watching those two guys pass to each other was pretty cool.

Midnight Judges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 01:42 AM
Carlzner

I loved him last year and he's even better this year.
So much potential in him. Great 2-Way center.
Already has almost half the points he had last year, 20 games in.

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 03:56 AM
DobHoc

Think you guys found another gem in Johansson. I watched some Caps games last year (I´m a Rangers fan). And i was impressed with him. When Backstrom and Ovie didn´t deliver i think this guy stepped up for you guys. And he had 6 points in your 9 playoff games. Not bad for a rookie!

13 points in 21 games this far is pretty good. Think he can become a large contributor to your team.

He may not be a perfect fit for Semin. But you guys can fix that very soon ;-)

DobHoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-29-2011, 08:54 AM
apollo71426

TBH Swedish centers are just awesome. The only thing Johansson needs to do less is entering the zone 1 on 4 down the middle. But I love watching his play and hope he is a Cap for a long time.

As others have said I am optimistic that his face-offs will get better over time. His defensive game is what makes me really like him though. If he can get stronger on his skates without sacrificing his skating ability that would be pretty neat too.

apollo71426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-01-2011, 07:32 AM
MoJo903

I think Johansson has at least same potential as Backström has IF he would have a chance to take bigger role on the team and we would find the right guys to his sides.

Compared to Backström Mojo has definetly more individualismi skills and might be the most potential player of Caps.

MoJo903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-10-2011, 02:10 AM
JAS 39 Gripen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoJo903 View Post
I think Johansson has at least same potential as Backström has IF he would have a chance to take bigger role on the team and we would find the right guys to his sides.

Compared to Backström Mojo has definetly more individualismi skills and might be the most potential player of Caps.
how 'bout nooooo

JAS 39 Gripen is offline   Reply With Quote