HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) *SPOILERS*

Closed Thread

Old
06-02-2011, 01:02 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

vCash: 500
Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire) *SPOILERS*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
I really don't understand why we don't have a separate thread for the Books. They are books. Not TV. This has not been broadcast yet. I haven't read the books, so I won't start it, but something like "Books: Game of Thrones" would be nice.
Makes sense IMO.

Great show, and those who haven't read the books have been unwillingly exposed to minor and major spoilers, so yeah...
If you need to talk/vent about stuff going on ahead of the timeline on HBO's show, maybe we can do it here.

(though I'm fairly certain everyone'll keep posting in the TV thread and ignore this one )

BTW, the next book in the series, A Dance with Dragons, is due out July 12th.
(yes, I've pre-ordered it and I can't wait

Old
06-02-2011, 01:34 AM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Ive been meaning to start reading the books, went to the book store and they only had the 4th one.

Old
06-02-2011, 01:48 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazinga View Post
Ive been meaning to start reading the books, went to the book store and they only had the 4th one.
You can always order from Amazon or something, the prices are really decent these days (especially, "used" ones - like 2.99$ or something, mostly really good quality).

Old
06-02-2011, 02:13 AM
Spawn

So this is a zone where any spoiler from any of the books can fly? If so maybe put something like *SPOILERS* in the title. Just so everyone can make sure to stay the hell out of here if they don't want it ruined.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:00 AM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
So this is a zone where any spoiler from any of the books can fly? If so maybe put something like *SPOILERS* in the title. Just so everyone can make sure to stay the hell out of here if they don't want it ruined.
Yeah, sounds good.

I can't edit the Thread title anymore though, so would appreciate a mod doing it.

Last edited by Corto: 06-02-2011 at 04:15 AM.
Old
06-02-2011, 04:15 AM
serge2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corto View Post
You can always order from Amazon or something, the prices are really decent these days (especially, "used" ones - like 2.99$ or something, mostly really good quality).
I got a new set for 35.

well worth it.

Old
06-02-2011, 09:58 AM
cynicism

Got Feat For Crows two days ago, already I'm 300 pages in.

Can't wait for Dance with Dragons to come out.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:27 AM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

You know that guy who was in the show for like 10 seconds, he becomes a zombie.

Yes, a zombie.

Old
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
Suiteness

I've bought the kindle versions on Amazon and have been reading them on my IPod. I've killed the first three books in about a week and have about 300 pages left in a Feast of Crows.

Old
06-02-2011, 12:22 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
Once school is done I plan to burn through this series. Right now I'm halfway through SoIaF and it's quite titillating

Old
06-02-2011, 01:01 PM
Oilbleeder
Lead us to glory.

vCash: 81
Alright lets get some discussion's going:

Favorite Character and why:

Most hated Character and why:

Random guess at something big/important/unexpected happening in DoD: (so for example, how Petyr pushed whatsherface through the moon door)

Maybe spoilers for the last one?

06-02-2011, 01:39 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

vCash: 50
What has me really curious about A Dance with Dragons is who we're getting for the new POV's. GRRM has announced there will be 4, 3 existing characters and one completely new (Ros the red-headed *****? ). In particular, since it's been announced that ADwD will run parallel with AFFC's to start but will eventually join together so some of the latter story lines like Arya's or Cersai's will be picked up. Then while GRRM hasn't announced exactly who has POV's in the new book, he's told us who hasn't, namely Sansa, Sam, and Brienne.

So back to the new POV characters, rather than the above 3's story arcs getting put on hold till book 6 I'm wondering if they'll be picked up from a new POV? Perhaps the Vales ever popular but unseen Harry the Heir , that Sphinx guy in Oldtown who seems like an interesting character, or maybe the Blackfish who escapes will join up with Lady Stoneface and the Brotherhood without Banners?

Although one of those 3 will be out, unless Harry the Heir is considered the 'new' character, as one of the new POV's has been leaked:
Spoil:
Ser Barristan the Bold

Old
06-02-2011, 01:41 PM
sabresfan129103

is it July 12 yet?

Old
06-02-2011, 01:43 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Oh, and another technical detail I was wondering about. I've never really bought a book brand new and always prefer paperback over the more expensive hardcover. So for some reason I'm under the impression that hard covers always get released first and the paperbacks come out sometime after... is this going to be the case here?

Old
06-02-2011, 02:20 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
Oh, and another technical detail I was wondering about. I've never really bought a book brand new and always prefer paperback over the more expensive hardcover. So for some reason I'm under the impression that hard covers always get released first and the paperbacks come out sometime after... is this going to be the case here?
It'll be in hardcover 1st. That's how they make the most money. Usually paperback is a few years later.

Old
06-02-2011, 03:23 PM
Nalyd Psycho

My best guess remains Osha as a new POV.

06-02-2011, 03:55 PM
SilasAdams

Halfway through Storm of Swords and holy **** this is the best book ive ever read. Clash of Kings and Game of Thrones were both amazing but im enjoying this one the most. I plan on having the first 4 done well before the 5th one comes out.

Old
06-02-2011, 04:18 PM
Corto
Faceless Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
What has me really curious about A Dance with Dragons is who we're getting for the new POV's. leaked:
Spoil:
Ser Barristan the Bold
Spoil:
Other two should be Quentyn Martell (completely new character, Oberyn's brother) and Theon aka Reek - his sample chapter was from the dungeons of Roose Bolton

- Arya
- Jon (both for obvious reasons, very likeable characters)
- Jaime (his POV really changed my view of him, used to hate him)
- Davos the Onion Knight
- minor favorites: Qhorin Halfhand, Blackfish, Bronn, Oberyn Martell, The Hound, Jaqen Hghar (Faceless Man, also appears as two other characters), Berric Dondarrion
- and Tyrion, of course
- Jorah Mormont... Dunno, just like the guy

- Sansa ... because she's dumb... and yes I realize she's a child, but her stupidity cost her family and her direwolf (the direwolf I can't forgive... I love dogs and the likes)
- Joffrey... no explanation needed
- The Freys... oh how I hate them
- Tywin

Random guess at something big/important/unexpected happening in DoD:

Spoil:
Davos really is executed, Stannis gets killed, Melisandre thrives in the North ... completely random guesses btw

Old
06-02-2011, 05:25 PM
sabresfan129103

Quote:
Spoil:
Other two should be Quentyn Martell (completely new character, Oberyn's brother) and Theon aka Reek - his sample chapter was from the dungeons of Roose Bolton

- Arya
- Jon (both for obvious reasons, very likeable characters)
- Jaime (his POV really changed my view of him, used to hate him)
- Davos the Onion Knight
- minor favorites: Qhorin Halfhand, Blackfish, Bronn, Oberyn Martell, The Hound, Jaqen Hghar (Faceless Man, also appears as two other characters), Berric Dondarrion
- and Tyrion, of course
- Jorah Mormont... Dunno, just like the guy

- Sansa ... because she's dumb... and yes I realize she's a child, but her stupidity cost her family and her direwolf (the direwolf I can't forgive... I love dogs and the likes)
- Joffrey... no explanation needed
- The Freys... oh how I hate them
- Tywin

Random guess at something big/important/unexpected happening in DoD:

Spoil:
Davos really is executed, Stannis gets killed, Melisandre thrives in the North ... completely random guesses btw
I'm not sure if you put those in order of your favorite, but if they are I totally agree with your #1. I'm absolutely fascinated where GRRM has taken Arya and can't wait to see how that plays out.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:47 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I'm not sure if you put those in order of your favorite, but if they are I totally agree with your #1. I'm absolutely fascinated where GRRM has taken Arya and can't wait to see how that plays out.
I loved the Cat in the Canals chapter, a good break from some of the tedious parts of A Feast for Crows. What's unfortunate on the other hand is in an interview I saw GRRM commented that he had to be careful to only write chapters that were relevant to the overall story for Arya and that her coming of age story that happens through book 4 (and I'm assuming 5), otherwise it could be a book in itself. Not nearly as big a book as usual I'm sure, but I'd love to read it.

Other favourite characters in no particular order would be Sam & Jon, Bran and the Reed siblings, Ser Davos, Brienne, Jamie, and probably one or two I'm forgetting. If Asha Greyjoy gets a bigger role she can count too. And while we only got two chapters of her I really like 'Alayne Stone'. As for Tyrion, I know he's cool & all and I don't mind him but I've never really connected with that type of dark cynical hero in fiction.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0

Quote:
Spoil:
I don't think he counts as a new character, seeing as his first chapter was released as a sample and it's no secret at the end who Reek is in it. Since the new characters are supposed to be a 'secret' and all.

Old
06-02-2011, 05:49 PM
adria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
My best guess remains Osha as a new POV.
That would be a good way to fill us in on what happens with Rickon. Or perhaps it will be Rickon himself, later on in the book. Who knows?

I'm really looking forward to seeing what all happens on the wall, and with Arya. And Daenerys; I hated her storyline the first time through the first book, but now it's one of my favorites.

I also really want to see where Tyrion will show up.

Old
06-02-2011, 06:09 PM
Toblerone
RIP Hickstead

So do I have to use spoiler tags or not? The title warns for spoilers but people are still using the tags

Really excited for the next book. I was actually unaware that only hardcovers are released first (although makes sense as all the later Harry Potter books I have are all hardcover and I got those the day they were released), I didn't really want hardcover but I guess I don't have a choice.
Does anyone know when books are shipped from Amazon if you've pre-ordered? Do they ship the day the book is released or will the book be shipped to get to my house on the actual release date? I have to decide whether to pre-order or hope one of the book stores in my town will have them on release day (there's no Chapters or anything here )

As for favourite characters:
Jon would be my fave if I can only pick one...Arya, Daenarys, Bran, Ser Davos, and Tyrion are also all up there. Although I have also really liked the growth of Jaime and how he's trying hard to distance himself from his "Kingslayer" title.

Another poster mentioned Quentyn Martell is Oberyn's son...he's actually Doran's son, making him Oberyn's nephew

I wont comment on any theories about the upcoming book until I know if I have to use spoilers, and that I would need to be reminded on how to use them

I will say this though, Daenarys' story could be very interesting as she has quite a few characters coming to find her and ally her to their cause.

Old
06-02-2011, 07:52 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

I haven't read a GRRM book in about five years, so I decided the other night to re-read A Feast for Crows in preparation for a Dance With Dragons (and in an attempt to remember all the entangling storylines that have cluttered by head these past fifteen or sixteen years).

Boy, did I forget how much I loved his writing. I just fell back into his world, which feels rich and lush and authentic. The thing I love the most is that when I read this series I see people. That might sound like a funny concept, but in most fantasy, I read about heroes, not flesh and blood. When the hero in another book gets attacked by ten guys on the road, I expect him to go all Yoda in Attack of the Clones on them. He's not men. He doesn't bleed. Or die. He's Captain America with a dragon.

Here, I don't care if you're a Clegane brother, Jaime with a right hand, or Arthur Dayne himself...if two or three trained fighters show up, you better dig your own hole. Your ass is about to die.

With that said, Martin's descriptions are a bit tedious the second time around (a paragraph describing a bird could best be used elsewhere), and his incessant name dropping becomes tiresome. We get that you wanted to write a massive book with lots of characters, but naming the seven people standing by the window with no relevance to the scene of story just seems silly.

Old
06-02-2011, 07:58 PM
colonel_korn
Luuuuuuuuuu....lay?

People like Davos, really? He always came across as such a .... doormat to me. Like bad **** just keeps happening to him and he's just kind of like "oh well, such is life" and keeps trucking along doing whatever Stannis tells him too. What's that, you kept this guy alive for a year while his castle was under siege and now he wants to cut off your fingers since you *used to be* a smuggler? Sounds fair!

I dunno if I had any real favourite characters... Tyrion I guess, his zingers are always pretty good. And of course Arya's story is one of the more interesting ones. OTOH I've found Bran's chapters to be kinda tedious, the whole "warging" thing doesn't really do it for me.

My prediction for the new book:
Spoil:
Arya gets hired to assassinate Jon
Also I think Sansa is eventually going to wise up and orchestrate Littlefinger's death somehow, but I think that'll happen towards the end of the series, probably not in the next book.

e: if you like Martin's writing, he's done some other good stuff. Fevre Dream is a pretty cool little novel, kind of a marriage of Mark Twain and Anne Rice , and Dreamsongs has a bunch of mostly good short stories that he's written, especially Sandkings, which I think is his most famous short.

Closed Thread