HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How do you view a player filing for salary arbitration?

View Poll Results: How do you view a player filing for salary arbitration?
The player wants to stick it to the man!! 8 22.86%
The player is just using it as a bargaining ploy 13 37.14%
No biggie....really...... 11 31.43%
Other (Please explain) 3 8.57%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-17-2004, 10:19 PM
mbam99

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to mbam99
How do you view a player filing for salary arbitration?

Just wondering how others view it when a player files? Are they saying they are better than what others think? Is it just a barganing play? Just curious...I put other as an option, just in case someone has another opinion...

Old
07-17-2004, 10:36 PM
theoil

Sometimes it is also a sign that the team management is totally incompetent as when you see that there are a large number of players on a team filing. If it is an agent who files a large number then the answer is probably greed. And before we all let Brewer off the hook and point fingers at Meehan it would be wise to remember who chose Meehan in the first place. Many, many years ago when Brewer was signing his first contract in this city Meehan said after it was signed that he thought Edmonton was a great city for his client to be in 'for now' and I have been waiting for the 'for now'to play itself out ever since. Meehan is one of the guys who destroys more than he builds and for that reason is quite correctly disliked by managers. But the agent is just the hired gun. Brewer hired him.

Old
07-18-2004, 09:20 AM
Bohologo

One good thing about arbitration: it precludes hold outs. Either the player signs the contract, or the team walks away. No suspense, no uncertainty. It brings contract impasse situations to a close.

Now, whether the arbitration amount is appropriate is another matter entirely.

Old
07-18-2004, 10:54 AM
Jim_Harnock

While I would much rather see players negotiate deals rather than leaving them in the hands of an arbiter, filing for arbitration does show that the player WANTS to play for the team. If he didn't, he'd just hold out.

Old
07-18-2004, 11:39 AM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
We've been hearing for years that things are "just business" in the NHL. Player gets cut by the team when they could have made it but it's a number game: just business. Favourite player gets traded for prospects: just business. Player signs elsewhere for more money: just business.

Arbitration is another part of the business.

So that's how I see it: just business. It's not necessarily a player *demanding* a raise or thinking he's worth more than what he's paid, it's usually a player taking advantage of a business opportunity afforded to him by the CBA - a CBA both sides agreed to. Given that he can be suddenly traded to an entirely different city - and given that most trades are between conferences, it's likely to be a city on the other side of the continent - uprooting him from family and friends on the grounds of "just business", I have some (some!) sympathy for the players. (I have even more sympathy for the coaches. Players are just traded, coaches are fired. They don't have a union looking out for them either.)

I can think of a few times in my lifetime I'd have jumped at the chance for arbitration. Not because I disliked the management, but because they were acting in their own best interest in trying to keep my salary down, and I was wanting to act in my best interest. (Lacking arbitration, I got a job in another department whose starting salary matched my salary cap in the first department... but I liked working in the first one too.)

Anyway, filing for arbitration doesn't necessarily mean anything in particular; it could mean one of many things, and probably is bits of all of those many things smooshed together. It depends on the player, and it depends on the team.

Old
07-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Allan

I believe Ryan Smyth last year said he filed for arbitration because he wanted to be absolutely sure he had a contract by training camp, and that it was something to fall back on if negotiations weren't getting anywhere. I suppose that's the best side it can have. It certainly gave the two sides the pressure to get a deal done.

Old
07-18-2004, 02:26 PM
Mxpunk

I chose "Other" because I think it ensures the player will be in camp. This will keep the player from holding out for a long time and get rusty (i.e. Carter, Theodore, Nabokov). Also, as a law student, I know that sometimes people would prefer having a supposedly neutral 3rd party make a decision.

Old
07-18-2004, 02:42 PM
hockeyaddict101

I hate arbitration as it is now

but the owners agreed to it and I don't think less of a player or agent for using it.

In it's current format though it must change. IMO it is artificial and heavily geared in the players advantage.

Old
07-18-2004, 02:50 PM
SerbianEagle

Depends. Some players want to ensure they have a contract. Others want to force their way out.

Brewer IMO thinks too much of his talents when in fact he will never become what he could have become. He was put into the #1 slot too soon and now wants that type of money even though he doesn't deserve it.

Old
07-18-2004, 03:05 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbianEagle
Depends. Some players want to ensure they have a contract. Others want to force their way out.

Brewer IMO thinks too much of his talents when in fact he will never become what he could have become. He was put into the #1 slot too soon and now wants that type of money even though he doesn't deserve it.
That is why arbitration is flawed. All his agent has to show is that he is a number 1 dman in Edmonton and he can by his minutes.

Then all he has to do is compare other player that play those minutes. It really doesn't matter that Brewer doesn't have those offensive numbers. Meehan is not going for their salaries.

All he is doing is showing that Brewer plays enough minutes in Edmonton to compare to a number on defensive in other cities and thus deserves a raise. He has enough comparables to do so as Matheson showed in his article this week.

We can all argue all day that he is overpaid but an arbitrator is going to prove otherwise and in this CBA that is ALL that matters.

Old
07-18-2004, 11:18 PM
theoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz44
We can all argue all day that he is overpaid but an arbitrator is going to prove otherwise and in this CBA that is ALL that matters.
There is one other thing that matters and it is the thing about arbitration that drives GM's crazy. Within each team there is a pecking order and arbitration screws that up. As a player you might not be all that certain that you are better or worse than player x on another team but within your own organization I would say most players know exactly how they compare. The arbitrator jacks up Brewer's salary and all of a sudden Smith is wondering why he isn't getting more and on and on. But as far as I am aware the internal economics of individual teams play no part in the arbitration decision making. This makes it virtually impossible for the manager to control escalating salaries.

Old
07-19-2004, 01:22 AM
igor*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbam99
Just wondering how others view it when a player files? Are they saying they are better than what others think? Is it just a barganing play? Just curious...I put other as an option, just in case someone has another opinion...
It's just business. And it is very fair.

The only unfair aspect is that only the player gets to decide if he wishes to go to arbitration. It is not an option for the team. Hopefully that changes in the next CBA.

The other negative factor is the cost. The cost of hiring representation for both sides, travel costs, arbitrator costs ... it's not a cheap process.

Closed Thread