HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft Talk - Part XI - Murphy will bust, Landeskog won't

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2011, 08:19 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bleuetbio View Post
This morning on CKAC radio channel (Montreal), I just heard one of your scout in interview. He didnt want to give too much informations about the devil's selection but at the end of the conversation, it was pretty obvious and I can tell you now that the Devils selection will be between Huberdeau and Couturier....just for your information. I think you'll appreciate.

If I consider how much the guy put the accent on the upside on not on the performance now, I think it could be Couturier
If you understand french... here's the interview.

http://www.ckac.com/
Claude Carrier, dépisteur pour les Devils du New Jersey : Peut-on détecter une future vedette de la LNH dès 14 ou 15 ans?

Translation:
Quote:
First off, I can't say that by watching a 14/15 year old that he'll be a NHL'er. You have to let him play and analyse all the little things like skating, agility, speed, smarts, if he takes wide turns instead of stopping and going and most importantly... hockey sense. That's probably the hardest thing to figure out cause in today's hockey, youngsters are taught to play in a system more so then anything else and it's hard to judge a players hockey IQ but that's part of my job I guess.

Drafting isn't a pure science, it's mostly luck and hard work. The way we go about the draft is based on crop of players that we target from the get-go. Our boss will give us the kind of player he'd like to add and we go from there. If our manager says, "I want a player that looks like player y" but there's no real player that would satisfy us at our pick for player y but there's 3 players that fit the bill in a lower selection, we'll let him know and we might re-adjust our strategy accordingly.

Our team was built a certain way with trades and UFA signings over the past couple of years. The departure of certains players might be taken into consideration as well and with certain trades, it could be positive or negative. Sometimes with a trade, you give alot of assets that were projected to be apart of our future so now our depth is thinner at a certain position so we would need to re-stock. Do we have players in the minors to replace the role of a player that is about to leave (salary) or get traded... that's the question that's been asked alot by our boss.

"The host asked him about both french Canadian players probably going top #5"... I think Huberdeau and Couturier did really well this year and Jonathan had a real solid year as we all know. Couturier had the same kind of season Huberdeau had last year, so saying he had a down year wouldn't be all that accurate because the team he had this year was in "rebuild" mode. Both players will represent the QMJHL real well and one of them might be available at #4... we'll just have to wait like everyone else to see how it unfolds.

Last edited by DEVILS ALL THE WAY*: 06-03-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old
06-03-2011, 08:34 AM
Brooklyndevil
82nd Airborne

My order with our 4th pick.

Larsson - Big Excellent all-around skating Defensemen, who makes a great first pass, has a big shot, never panics and will play 25 minutes per game. May make the team this season.

Landeskog - A talented gritty forward with leadership qualities, something this team can use more of going forward. May make the team this season.

Huberdeau - A talented center/forward, who plays with grit and skill and is a fabulous passer. Needs to fillout and work on his skating. 1 or 2 seasons away.

Couturier - Center - With a great blend of size and skill. Will need to work on his skating and hopefully learns to use his physical attributes to his benefit and picks up a bit of a mean streak. Probably one season away.

Murphy - Offensive Defenseman- Many believe boom or bust, others believe the most gifted player in the draft and probably the best skater in the draft. Great PP quaterback. Needs to grow a bit more and get stronger. As been working on his defensive game. One or two seasons away.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by PariseR8 View Post
yeah I know but it feels reassuring that more and more people believe that Larsson will drop to 4.
I know what you mean. Even some of the more reasonable rankings have Larsson falling to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manisback121 View Post
I will say one thing, whoever we get is most likely, not going to Lindros us. Common sense dictates that if you're in that top bunch, you probably want the devils to pick you.
Definitely. The kid we pick will be happy he doesn't have to slog through a full rebuild, unlike the kids who go to Florida and Ottawa.

Quote:
This morning on CKAC radio channel (Montreal), I just heard one of your scout in interview. He didnt want to give too much informations about the devil's selection but at the end of the conversation, it was pretty obvious and I can tell you now that the Devils selection will be between Huberdeau and Couturier....just for your information. I think you'll appreciate.

If I consider how much the guy put the accent on the upside on not on the performance now, I think it could be Couturier
Interesting. That upside comment could also refer to Huberdeau, because Couturier is considered the more NHL ready right now, whereas Huberdeau will probably need more time in the Q.

Also, thanks for translating, DATW.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:58 AM
CerebralGenesis

Thanks for the translation. Way to mention murphy again you ********************* o wait nm

What does that mean exactly? Do they think it will go:

RNH
Larsson
the Kog

and Huberdeau/Couturier will be at 4?

Old
06-03-2011, 09:04 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
What does that mean exactly? Do they think it will go:

RNH
Larsson
the Kog

and Huberdeau/Couturier will be at 4?
It's certainly possible. But if Huberdeau goes before our pick, and we have a choice between Larsson and Couturier, I'm curious who we'd pick, considering this new information. I hope it would still be Larsson, but now I'm not as certain.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
Goose Huckabee

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
If you understand french... here's the interview.

http://www.ckac.com/
Claude Carrier, dépisteur pour les Devils du New Jersey : Peut-on détecter une future vedette de la LNH dès 14 ou 15 ans?

Translation:
Thanks. Just goes to show that the straightforward BPA mantra is bogus.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:07 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

He basically said that Lou wants to fill certain holes that were made via trades in past and certain players possibly leaving cause of salary complications in the next couple of years. He's been asked to make a list of the prospects we have in the minors that can step up in the not too distant future to replace certain players.

He said that drafting based on need isn't that far fetched. BPA is probably their #1 target but filling the holes you made with certain trades in the past is also a possibility.

I don't want to speculate but the way he talked about players leaving made me think about Parise right off the bat. I don't know why but that's the first player that came to mind. Honestly, if we pick up Huberdeau, I'll be ****ing happy but I'll start speculating about Parise's future as well. I might have too much time on my hands and Carrier's interview might not even mean what I think it means... who knows.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:11 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

The players we've been losing through trades and UFA have been mostly centres and defencemen. I'm not sure who he meant by the upcoming anticipated losses.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:15 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
The players we've been losing through trades and UFA have been mostly centres and defencemen. I'm not sure who he meant by the upcoming anticipated losses.
We have several blueliners that are going UFA in the next 2 years. We drafted alot of blueliners over the past couple of years to reload our data base. We didn't draft alot of centers and we moved Cormier in the IK trade, so I think we'll go with one of Couturier or Huberdeau but I might be way off. We drafted even less wingers in the past couple of years as well, so that might be a option and we have a current winger that's a big part of our team but isn't under contract yet.

The fact that Huberdeau can play wing and center is a bonus if you ask me and if he's on the board, I think he'll be a Devils.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:16 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Hmmm...how interesting.

Put me in the category of 'whoever we draft will be like getting a good player for free without giving anyone up- something we rarely get to experience as a devils fan so lets just enjoy it, trust in lou, and have a dance contest'

Old
06-03-2011, 09:18 AM
bleuetbio

It seems they cut the last words of interview. At the end of interview, Michel Langevin asked him: I think it will be a guy from the LHJMQ, probably Huberdeau and Couturier? The answer was a kind of long silence with a laugh at the end and just answered "Hey, its your words not mine" and laugh again.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:27 AM
CerebralGenesis

I don't know if the idea of getting a Huberduber means the end of Parise. It would make more sense to be the end of Elias but I don't think that happens.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:32 AM
MasterofGrond
No, I'm not serious.

Huberdeau 4 lyfe

Old
06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I don't know if the idea of getting a Huberduber means the end of Parise. It would make more sense to be the end of Elias but I don't think that happens.
True. But the fact that Huberdeau can play either position is something that will be in the back of Lou's mind, that's for certain. I'm not saying I want Parise gone if we draft Huberdeau but the way Carrier talked about drafting a player with the mindset of "replacing players who might be leaving", Parise was the first name that popped in my head.

Let's hope I'm wrong and he meant Clarkson or Zubrus

Old
06-03-2011, 09:39 AM
CerebralGenesis

Maybe we'll draft Zibby and get rid of both within 2 years. woot for cap sapce.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:40 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Eye in the sky by TSN regarding the combine... http://watch.tsn.ca/featured/clip478606#clip478606
Live NHL draft combine blog... http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=44174

Old
06-03-2011, 09:43 AM
bleuetbio

honestly, you to explain me why you guys even consider to trade Parise. This guy could be your player for life. When we think about a player leaving, its more about a guy like the old Elias and Rolston bordeline with the retirement and could be traded. I dont think for a minute that the Parise's rumors have some sense at all.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:47 AM
Scottyk9
Goals? Please!

Send a message via AIM to Scottyk9
Quote:
honestly, you to explain me why you guys even consider to trade Parise. This guy could be your player for life. When we think about a player leaving, its more about a guy like the old Elias and Rolston bordeline with the retirement and could be traded. I dont think for a minute that the Parise's rumors have some sense at all.
They don't. The only way Zach gets moved is for a elite D-man such as a Shea Weber or Drew Doughty.

Both of those players have more value than Zach so Zach won't be traded.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:58 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
kovy and teddy make him expendable. sad but true. with that being said though, I dont care how little sense it makes, I want him here for the duration of his career.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:58 AM
CerebralGenesis

Yum Doughty.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:01 AM
devsfan4life

We're exactly 3 weeks away!

Old
06-03-2011, 10:04 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
We don't want to move Zach but maybe management wants to move a elite winger for a elite blueliner, something we desperatly need more so then a winger IMO. Maybe Zach is tired of the coaching carousel, maybe he wants a 8M$ type of deal, maybe he wants to resign at a home town discout for 14 years, etc, etc, etc.

We just want this saga to be over with. When I take a look at what happend with IK last summer, I just don't want to see the same fiasco for a second straight year.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:14 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVILS ALL THE WAY View Post
We have several blueliners that are going UFA in the next 2 years. We drafted alot of blueliners over the past couple of years to reload our data base. We didn't draft alot of centers and we moved Cormier in the IK trade, so I think we'll go with one of Couturier or Huberdeau but I might be way off. We drafted even less wingers in the past couple of years as well, so that might be a option and we have a current winger that's a big part of our team but isn't under contract yet.

The fact that Huberdeau can play wing and center is a bonus if you ask me and if he's on the board, I think he'll be a Devils.
I could buy this, except I don't think it is Parise they are referring to. Rolston and Elias are both leaving or taking lesser roles in the next few years. Or maybe they want insurance in case Zajac leaves and Henrique and Josefson can't handle the top line.

Quote:
Most of us don't want to trade him. It's mostly fans of other teams making horrible proposals.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:25 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Oleksiak is a beast according to McKenzie... the fact that he was paired with Grimaldi side by side didn't help but still. Huberdeau, Larsson, Hamilton and Zinbanejad the highest rated prospects on the floor right now.

Edit: Canada's Sports Leader: Nugent-Hopkins is done testing but his numbers aren't up yet.

Old
06-03-2011, 10:26 AM
CerebralGenesis

This on TV somewhere? Does that mean I can find a stream lol?

Closed Thread