HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

McDonough Q&A: We want to get better

Old
06-02-2011, 06:56 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

vCash: 500
McDonough Q&A: We want to get better

Quote:
McDonough Q&A: We want to get better by Jesse Rogers

On the heels of his promotion to CEO of the Chicago Blackhawks, team president John McDonough sat down for a question and answer session about his organization coming off a first-round playoff exit:

How does the promotion change anything you do within the organization?

JM: Well, we know over the last few years the signature here has been profound change, and what we’re looking for is continuity. [General manager] Stan [Bowman] has been in his position for two years. Jay [Blunk] has been in his position [business operations] for three and a half years. For me I’m proud to play a small role in the development of this franchise, but this gives us more continuity. I think we’ve made advancements, but we have a long way to go. My responsibilities pretty much remain the same.

When you say you have a long way to go, what do you mean? You’ve won a Stanley Cup, sold out 146 consecutive games, raised the season ticket base to about 14,000 and on paper have a perennial contender. Are you talking about continuing to raise the profile of hockey in this city compared to other sports?

JM: This is a very hungry organization. We don’t take anything for granted. Winning the Stanley Cup and having those sellouts is important, but we’re about looking forward. We’ve had an opportunity in the last month -- since being eliminated -- we spent a day with every single entity within the organization from hockey operations to scouting to business operations and media relations and everything else. We want to get better everywhere.

OK, then going back to my last question: Would you like to raise the day-to-day awareness of hockey in this city? You had it during the run last season but what about all the time?

JM: We know where we are in regards to sports teams in Chicago. We were off the radar, not on the menu for many years. We’ve come a long way but have a lot of ground to make up. We understand that. Our players right now are high profile, and we’ve had a chance to market them over the last few years. And they also understand they have an obligation to help us grow the product. At the core of all of this we are never going to take our eyes off the fact that winning is the greatest marketing idea of all time. We need to win. But I do think we have a unique formula where our business operations and hockey operations work in collaboration and that has proven to be a great resource for the Blackhawks. But we know we’re the underdog, we have that underdog mentality. It’s a very, very hungry franchise. I think it’s primarily the youngest front office in the NHL. I am looking for people who are great, that want to be part of something that has never been done before or something that is very special. We just don’t take anything for granted. If there was one way to define the culture here at the United Center, it’s comfortably uncomfortable.

You said you spent a day with each department within the organization. Was there anything interesting you found out which you can share publicly?

JM: Not really, but we did a great deal of research on our fan base. The reasons why they come to the games, and why they are re-energized or re-engaged. What I want to see here is when people leave the United Center it’s an experience they’ve never seen before and it’s going to give them an appetite to come back. The product on the ice is most important, obviously, but we wanted to address everything.

Let’s go on the ice. Toward the end of the season, Duncan Keith was very open and honest about his lack of preparation last summer. Did you hear those comments? In hindsight now, a month or so removed from it, how upset were you with your team’s shortcomings? Or do you take it all with a grain of salt considering how difficult it was going to be to go far again?

JM: First of all, we turned over half of our roster. It was important for us to get off to a good start and hopefully a good start at home which did not happen. That comes due at the end of the season. All of a sudden we’re in a ‘must-win’ situation. You don’t have an opportunity to rest some players. Duncan probably would have been one of them. I think he was just being completely honest from what he was saying that he was gassed, and he might have been speaking on behalf of some of the other players. I think when you win the Stanley Cup and have a very short offseason it’s a wonderful dilemma. But it’s a wonderful dilemma I hope we have an opportunity to face again and now that we’ve had the experience of doing it, we handle it well. And when 45 percent of your roster is completely different, there is an assimilation period. There is a transition period. It probably came together a little bit later in the season than we wanted. It was tenuous and a difficult situation to go through but the team showed an incredible amount of character the way they came off the canvas to come back three games to none and take Vancouver to overtime and were actually on the power play with a chance to win Game 7. It didn’t happen. We ran out of miracles.

Off the ice, are you fully cognizant of the proliferation of the gossip websites and camera phones and everything else that can put a player in a bad light?

JM: We stress to the players the fact that their profile has exploded. With the age of new technology and new media it’s very difficult to do things under the radar. You have to be somewhat stealth in how you do it. We do talk to the players about that. It’s important going forward that they do understand that.

Do you think Patrick Kane is unfairly targeted?

JM: I don’t know. I’m very proud of the progress Patrick has made in that category, and I’m confident he’s going to continue to make progress in that area, and I’m thrilled he’s a member of the Chicago Blackhawks. I’m sure he will be one for a long, long time. But these things are all addressed internally both collectively and individually.

You’ve admitted many times you don’t come from a hockey background. I’m curious, do you ever go to Stan Bowman or anyone in the front office when things are going poorly and, like a fan ask, ‘Did we do the right thing? Was that signing or trade the right way to go?’

JM: Anytime I would ask that question it would be in advance. One of the attributes that Stan has and [assistant general manager] Kevin Cheveldayoff has is that they are a very good tandem. They are very methodical, very analytical about everything. By the time it gets to me I feel comfortable these things are really well thought out. What I’ve asked of Stan and Chevy and everybody, Joel Quenneville included, it’s that we have to have this big picture mentality. It’s not going to be just live for today. I always say to Stan there has to be a big picture approach to everything we do.

Are you rooting for Boston? Is that the consensus within the Blackhawks?

JM: I’m not rooting for anybody. I’m rooting for a good series, and I’m looking at the winner of that series as the benchmark we have to get to and exceed going into next year.

Any news on Chicago getting the All-Star Game or even hosting the draft?

JM: I don’t think either one of those are imminent so I wouldn’t be looking for those in the near future.

Just to bring this full circle. Do you believe a few tweaks and a long summer is all this team needs to return to prominence?

JM: It is going to give everyone a chance to re-energize. Like I said before, I think a lot of these guys probably needed it, to the point I haven’t seen most of these guys in a month. Stan is looking at every variable, every potential move to improve. I’m very happy he signed Corey Crawford. I’m very confident in our hockey operations leading into the draft and next season.
http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/blac...-to-get-better

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Steve Passless*

Quote:
Do you think Patrick Kane is unfairly targeted?

JM: I don’t know. I’m very proud of the progress Patrick has made in that category, and I’m confident he’s going to continue to make progress in that area, and I’m thrilled he’s a member of the Chicago Blackhawks. I’m sure he will be one for a long, long time. But these things are all addressed internally both collectively and individually.
Translated: All right, drinky, kitfo

Steve Passless* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Part of me is happy to know that our future is safe and we're not in threat of dealing with another Bill Wirtz era anytime soon... but at the same time I just have a hard time believing this "constant improvement" thing being consistently constructive. I feel at some point management is gonna choke hard and our future will be jeopardized again, even though it's "keeping the big picture in mind". Am I just paranoid ?

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:49 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
Part of me is happy to know that our future is safe and we're not in threat of dealing with another Bill Wirtz era anytime soon... but at the same time I just have a hard time believing this "constant improvement" thing being consistently constructive. I feel at some point management is gonna choke hard and our future will be jeopardized again, even though it's "keeping the big picture in mind". Am I just paranoid ?
I think they're trying to do too much too soon.

We need to be somewhat careful considering we're still losing money.

Cullksinikers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:59 PM
MadhouseOnMadison
Man crush on Amonte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post

Losing money isn't an issue for this organization if it's coming at the expense of bringing in new fans, which it is. They're still trying to grow the brand and Rocky's pockets are deep enough to handle losses til the organization is profitable again. Just takes time.

The simple fact that they gave the Hawks a makeover and turned things around as quickly as they did gives me faith in our the front office now. I'm not much of a McDonough fan but I can appreciate his contribution and marketing strategy. Just as long as he stays the hell out of the hockey side.

MadhouseOnMadison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Cullksinikers

I have faith, but they have to watch the ticket prices. Drastic raises each year could make the attendance suffer. They should freeze them for a couple years.

Old
06-03-2011, 01:04 AM
Steve Passless*

Quote:
losing money.
debatable

I feel great about the organization. I think the cap penalty was as bad as it's gonna get for a while. I'd advise against raising ticket prices on the heels of such a weak title defense, though. Other than that, I have faith in McDonough and the Bowmans to do a good job.

Steve Passless* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 01:18 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
I don't really buy that they are losing money. On the books it might look like that, but it's all about creative accounting. Even if they did, Wirtz is loaded.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
I don't really buy that they are losing money. On the books it might look like that, but it's all about creative accounting. Even if they did, Wirtz is loaded.
Right, I don't believe for a second that they are losing money. If they are losing money than every franchise in the NHL is losing money, and lots of it.

Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:12 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
They aren't losing money. Go pick up a case, you just put a few bucks in their pockets.

EDIT: Never mind, Cullksinikers, wait till you're of age

Last edited by IU Hawks fan: 06-03-2011 at 10:55 AM.
IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:17 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Excellent. He said everything I wanted to hear the way I wanted to hear it. They need to always keep that cutting edge approach, especially with the salary cap. Stan is doing a great job. As far as them losing money, that's all accounting. They're 1st in attendance 3 years running. I don't mind them mentioning they "lost money" last year, but they were right to leave it there and leave it at that. This is still the same organization that insulted our intelligence for years and they know better than to do that again. There's no way they pay Huet off if they aren't as committed to the long term as they portray themselves to be. They want to build a dynasty and I have no issues with that. That's the minimum goal for me as a fan. Like McD said, the goal is to create something bigger than anyone has seen before.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
MagicSlap*

As others have said, the Blackhawks "losing money" is more due to the way Wirtz takes account of all his various holdings. The team itself may actually lose money on hockey operations but Wirtz gets money from the arena and liquor sales as well. So even if bringing in sellout crowds loses money for the "team" the full crowd purchases a much great amount at the stadium. Long story short, don't worry about management's pockets, they're doing just fine.

As for the actual interview, McDonough pretty much said nothing of real value and didn't answer the most specific questions, but hey, that's to be expected. Pretty much all he said is that they were a young and hungry organization and offered no specifics about how they plan to operate this coming off-season or next year or beyond that in general.

Can't be mad at the group that brought us the Cup though, but it's interesting to keep an eye on them to say the least.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 02:54 PM
Bring Back GLR
Commit to the Indian

I have to admit, with what Mcdonough said in that interview sends chills down my spine,,,,this is a guy who wants like 3 cups in a row and for the Hawks to be a dynasty and will steamroll anyone who gets in his way,,,,as a Hawk fan for 20 years prior to this new regime I've never seen an attitude like this up until the last 3 years,,,,it's amazing.

The only thing that could go wrong is even though he's not the owner, there's a Jerry Jones type thing with Mcdonough which could be scary if he gets too involved with the hockey side of things,,,,just stick to marketing and funding scouting, player development etc.

Bring Back GLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 04:40 PM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:

While all the articles seem to be saying that, I doubt it's true.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 05:39 PM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
They aren't losing money. Go pick up a case, you just put a few bucks in their pockets.

EDIT: Never mind, Cullksinikers, wait till you're of age
4+ years. Soon.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:49 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

The most concerning part about this article, to me, is:

Quote:
Letís go on the ice. Toward the end of the season, Duncan Keith was very open and honest about his lack of preparation last summer. Did you hear those comments? In hindsight now, a month or so removed from it, how upset were you with your teamís shortcomings? Or do you take it all with a grain of salt considering how difficult it was going to be to go far again?

JM: First of all, we turned over half of our roster. It was important for us to get off to a good start and hopefully a good start at home which did not happen. That comes due at the end of the season. All of a sudden weíre in a Ďmust-winí situation. You donít have an opportunity to rest some players. Duncan probably would have been one of them. I think he was just being completely honest from what he was saying that he was gassed, and he might have been speaking on behalf of some of the other players. I think when you win the Stanley Cup and have a very short offseason itís a wonderful dilemma. But itís a wonderful dilemma I hope we have an opportunity to face again and now that weíve had the experience of doing it, we handle it well. And when 45 percent of your roster is completely different, there is an assimilation period. There is a transition period. It probably came together a little bit later in the season than we wanted. It was tenuous and a difficult situation to go through but the team showed an incredible amount of character the way they came off the canvas to come back three games to none and take Vancouver to overtime and were actually on the power play with a chance to win Game 7. It didnít happen. We ran out of miracles.
Keith:

Quote:
felt like it had really good stretches and then there (were) times I would just Ö I donít want to say Ö lose focus, but just was not really Ö interested for whatever reason.
Quote:
Iím not explaining it right, but I would just have good stretches and bad stretches and more inconsistency than I wouldíve liked,Ē Keith said. ďItís frustrating, but I look at it like, I donít know, I played a lot of games the year before and thereís things I probably couldíve done differently to prepare for this season. I like to work out and train a lot and feel good going into the season, and Iím not making any excuses but I didnít feel Ö excited, coming back to start a season. So, thatís just being honest.Ē
To me, it sounds like McDonough is attributing it to playing a lot of minutes and being gassed, but it sounds like Keith just wasn't very focused on hockey this season for whatever reason (probably coming off of a Stanley Cup win). I feel like I remember reading him say that he wasn't tired at all but just wasn't focused.

I mean, maybe it's just me, but the two snippets just seem to contradict each other a bit. Hopefully Keith felt the sting in losing in the first round to Vancouver this year and comes back to play some inspired hockey. I'm sure he will and there's nothing to worry about... but it's just a bit concerning when the player's explanation doesn't match the President's explanation.

Old
06-04-2011, 01:41 AM
Ben Marco

Good read. Arguably the "Cup hangover" affects all the individuals within the team albeit in different levels. Hence the difficulties during the season after a short off-season and time out of hockey. Perfectly natural now matter how professional you are. With the long break now at hand iīm sure we have a hungry team come camping time. But like John said in that interview: "I think when you win the Stanley Cup and have a very short offseason itís a wonderful dilemma. But itís a wonderful dilemma I hope we have an opportunity to face again"

One Goal Again !

Ben Marco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:04 AM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Lebowski View Post
The most concerning part about this article, to me, is:
Keith:
To me, it sounds like McDonough is attributing it to playing a lot of minutes and being gassed, but it sounds like Keith just wasn't very focused on hockey this season for whatever reason (probably coming off of a Stanley Cup win). I feel like I remember reading him say that he wasn't tired at all but just wasn't focused.

I mean, maybe it's just me, but the two snippets just seem to contradict each other a bit. Hopefully Keith felt the sting in losing in the first round to Vancouver this year and comes back to play some inspired hockey. I'm sure he will and there's nothing to worry about... but it's just a bit concerning when the player's explanation doesn't match the President's explanation.
I think you are reading too much into this. I don't see a contradiction. I am sure McD isn't THAT hand-on about the team and on the pulse of it to say one way or another. He used a different wording is all.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:14 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I think that McD is right about what he said about Keith. I'm sure that Keith wasn't the only player but think about a guy like Hjammer said this. People would freak out

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:07 AM
krazyhawk

Send a message via MSN to krazyhawk
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
As others have said, the Blackhawks "losing money" is more due to the way Wirtz takes account of all his various holdings. The team itself may actually lose money on hockey operations but Wirtz gets money from the arena and liquor sales as well. So even if bringing in sellout crowds loses money for the "team" the full crowd purchases a much great amount at the stadium. Long story short, don't worry about management's pockets, they're doing just fine.

As for the actual interview, McDonough pretty much said nothing of real value and didn't answer the most specific questions, but hey, that's to be expected. Pretty much all he said is that they were a young and hungry organization and offered no specifics about how they plan to operate this coming off-season or next year or beyond that in general.

Can't be mad at the group that brought us the Cup though, but it's interesting to keep an eye on them to say the least.

Exactly what I was thinking ! Hockey related expenses(wages,travel,equipment,insurance,etc) vs hockey related revenue(gate,merchandising,advertising,tv money etc)=operating loss for the Hawks.Non hockey revenues(concessions,beer sales,parking,etc)=profit for Wirtz.

None of this even involves all the other events held at the stadium for which(if I'm not mistaken)Wirtz also holds the rights to parking,liquor and concessions.

So in reality,even if the Hawks run a deficit,as long as they are popular(definition:a contending team)Wirtz will make a profit

krazyhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:23 PM
Suburbanbear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazyhawk View Post
Exactly what I was thinking ! Hockey related expenses(wages,travel,equipment,insurance,etc) vs hockey related revenue(gate,merchandising,advertising,tv money etc)=operating loss for the Hawks.Non hockey revenues(concessions,beer sales,parking,etc)=profit for Wirtz.

None of this even involves all the other events held at the stadium for which(if I'm not mistaken)Wirtz also holds the rights to parking,liquor and concessions.

So in reality,even if the Hawks run a deficit,as long as they are popular(definition:a contending team)Wirtz will make a profit

Also did the Hawks just complete the new training facilities prior t the cup year? I know they trained in Bensenville the year prior. I wonder how much of that is incorporated into their "loss"

Suburbanbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
I think you are reading too much into this. I don't see a contradiction. I am sure McD isn't THAT hand-on about the team and on the pulse of it to say one way or another. He used a different wording is all.
Yeah, I could be. Coming from someone so high up in the organization, I feel like you have to read between the lines sometimes and maybe wrongfully so. In all probability, it was just a straight answer and I'm just have too critical an eye.

I'm sure Keith will bounce back and it doesn't really matter what the reason was behind his inconsistency... as long as he learns from it, all is well.

Old
06-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
we're still losing money.
According to Forbes, the Hawks were tied for 4th in operating income for 2010 at +17.6 million.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/31/...s-10_land.html

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Cullksinikers

Well, I heard we lost money, but things were getting better. My bad.

Old
06-06-2011, 12:43 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
According to Forbes, the Hawks were tied for 4th in operating income for 2010 at +17.6 million.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/31/...s-10_land.html
Hawks will be #4 (in value) on that really soon. I don't care about the past success of the Wings, a team in a ****** city with a dump arena won't be more valuable than a team from Chicago with the 2nd largest seated capacity in the league and way more money making avenues. Boston may be tough to pass being they own 100% of the Garden, but it'll happen eventually.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote