HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

SCF: Boston Bruins (3) vs. Vancouver Canucks (1) (Part 3)

View Poll Results: Series Outcome
Vancouver in 4 48 16.49%
Vancouver in 5 118 40.55%
Vancouver in 6 51 17.53%
Vancouver in 7 6 2.06%
Boston in 5 4 1.37%
Boston in 6 30 10.31%
Boston in 7 34 11.68%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-05-2011, 02:50 AM
luongo321

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Why do 'nucks fans treat Malhotra like he's Trevor Linden coming out of retirement?? I remember when he got injured fans in Van were telling me that losing him might seriously damage their cup chances. This is a 3rd liner who has played less than 100 games in a Vancouver uniform. Why are people so crazy about him? Genuinely curious here...
i think it also had to do with the thought that his career might have been ended. When it first happened, they didn't know whether he'd ever get sight back to his eye. We thought we wouldn't return this season and for him to suit up in the Stanley Cup Finals?! It's amazing and we're all happy that he can continue on with his career, but there was a long time where we never knew if he'd be able to play again ever. His faceoff ability, pk'ing, happiness and leadership are outstanding. He deserves all of the ovation he got for game 2.

Old
06-05-2011, 03:15 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

vCash: 500
2nd best faceoffman in the league after the guy that injured my hero crosby

Old
06-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Ola

OMG what did Thomas do???

Jesus H Christ. In OT in a SCF.

Old
06-05-2011, 05:28 AM
yoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCM View Post
Malhotra is a really likable personality. He brought a lot to this team. He's a 3rd liner but that doesn't mean he's not a good player. He's just suited for that role. An "elite" 3rd liner if you will.

He's very valuable in his shutdown and defensive roles.

But more importantly than that, he's a huge part of the leadership group. For example, when the Hawks made the playoffs, he tweeted something along the lines of "couldn't have asked for a better match up." I think he was genuine in that. It's that kind of go get 'em attitude and mentality that has rubbed off in the room.

Just watch any interview with Malhotra and you can see just how confident a person he is. Intelligent and calm.

That's why he means a lot to the club and the fans.

Additionally given that there was a risk he'd never play again, that increased the gravity of the matter and multiplied people's emotions.

It's also worth mentioning that his recovery has been nothing short of a miracle.
I agree completely with this. He adds tremendous character and leadership, huge in faceoffs, pk, and adds incredible depth to center. Our 4th line tonight went from horrible to dominant. Just look at how much better Oreo and Tambelini played tonight compared to any game from them basically so far in the playoffs. I guarantee you Manny had a big part in that.

I loved the way the guy played for us all year, he made me a fan immediately when we got him pretty much. To come back like this from such a potentially serious injury to make the SCF is amazing. The way it sounded at first, there was concerned he would ever be back, so yeah. What a beautiful thing.

Hopefully Hamhuis can come back soon. That is a bit of a mystery, we could really use him.

I love how a different guy for the Nucks seems to step up when we need it. Wish the Sedins would get it going little sooner in games though. Also waiting for Kesler to put his mark on this series. Like to see him come up big like he did in Nashville when Nucks are in Boston with few goals.

and think about this;

-Burrows allegedly bites finger
-fans and certain media are in an uproar
-bad burrows press upsets his family, dad tells him to score goals best way to shut up critics
-this fires up Burrows, who score 2 huge goals including the overtime winner not to mention a beautiful presence of mind assist to Daniel for easy goal. Basically responsible for all goals.

So yeah, thank you media for making a big stink about it, indirectly helped light a fire under Burrows and motivated him to come up so huge.

Last edited by yoss: 06-05-2011 at 05:36 AM.
Old
06-05-2011, 05:45 AM
killcrypt

Claude Julien on Burrows: "They made a decision. We moved on. If we start using that as an excuse, we're a lame team."

Old
06-05-2011, 05:47 AM
Mike Emrick
Corsi's right

I don't know why people claim Hughson is so biased towards the Canucks. When I watch the CBC feeds a day later on Youtube, I can't notice any bias. He just is slightly excited when Burrows scored in OT in Game 2, but he sounds like he would do the same if the Bruins had scored. He was a lot less excited than Doc Emrick, that's for sure.

Old
06-05-2011, 05:48 AM
yoss

If Hamuis get back in, and Manny continues to improve our offense and D are, in my opinion, without weakness, and i like our chances.

And i just want to say, everyone who is coming down on TT, i thought he has been amazing so far in the finals, save for a weak first goal tonight and that misplay in OT, but he has made a ton of huge saves, especially game 1. I feel sort of bad for him actually, i like him as a player, and have a ton of respect for the amount of heart he has. He is the main reason actually Boston still makes me somewhat nervous. If he's on his game, you can't count them out. I won't be surprised if he comes up with a monster game in Boston. Hope Van is not taking anything for granted here, not that i think they are.

Old
06-05-2011, 06:18 AM
Trolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
I don't know why people claim Hughson is so biased towards the Canucks. When I watch the CBC feeds a day later on Youtube, I can't notice any bias. He just is slightly excited when Burrows scored in OT in Game 2, but he sounds like he would do the same if the Bruins had scored. He was a lot less excited than Doc Emrick, that's for sure.
you must not be from around here.

What you are describing here, is rational thought. When the average poster has his thoughts clouded by a hate-on for the Canucks, they'll try to nitpick anything they can because they'll look stupid if they bad-mouth the canucks' game play.

Old
06-05-2011, 07:13 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobo View Post

I cannot believe Lapierre(EDIT)).

What a *********.
Lots of Hab-haters loved to hate Lapierre.
I see the hate is still going on.
I actually laughed when I saw Lapierre ''hand'' his finger to P.Bergeron!! (just meant to annoy P.Bergeron in a funny/original/quirky way! and it worked!).
P.Bergeron should have just ignored Lapierre, as simple as that.
It's not like Lapierre violently/cowardly sucker-punched Hedman to the face/jaw a la cry-baby/coward Lucic.

Lapierre: a decent/good 3rd liner and/or very solid 4th liner (underrated speed). He's really good at getting under opponents' skin...all psychological (without physically injuring them a la Lucic, Chara, Horton).
Lapierre's just trolling and it always seems to work. He's not violently injuring anyone a la Chara, Lucic, Horton.
The smart players should just skate away from him, but many choose to let him get to them (Lapierre's fault? no).

Lucic and Horton (when Bruins are losing by 2 goals) always try to violently injure players (violent punch to the face, crosschecking the face, violently/cowardly jumping a player from behind, example: Lucic on Komisarek, etc...).

I'd rather face a funny/weird/annoying player like Lapierre VERSUS violent cheaters/cry-babies like Lucic, Horton, Chara who violently intentionally injure opponents (especially when losing by 2 goals in 2nd or 3rd period, we've seen it again and again and the ***** NHL always looks the other way).

BRUINS shouldn't even be in the CUP FINALS.
They're just violent cheaters that got lucky.

Burrows
Malhotra
Lapierre

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 06-05-2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old
06-05-2011, 08:14 AM
SFKingshomer

Never seen so many lucky breaks and calls go for one team. No suspension on Torres for his countless head shots yet other minor offenses are suspendable. The NHL is too inconsistent with its rulings and its easy to see the Canadian bias this year. Bettman owes Canada a cup and the NHL knows it. The most undeserved Championship in recent sports history with 2 more Vancouver wins.

Old
06-05-2011, 08:35 AM
JD12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKingshomer View Post
Never seen so many lucky breaks and calls go for one team. No suspension on Torres for his countless head shots yet other minor offenses are suspendable. The NHL is too inconsistent with its rulings and its easy to see the Canadian bias this year. Bettman owes Canada a cup and the NHL knows it. The most undeserved Championship in recent sports history with 2 more Vancouver wins.
Really! It's blazing new trails then cause two games in its already the most whined/cried about series in recent memory. I think the bias you're seeing is really your own but hey to see how upset people are getting over the Canucks winning is almost as good a feeling as watching them win

Old
06-05-2011, 08:36 AM
McLlwain
Trevor Forever

Quote:
Never seen so many lucky breaks and calls go for one team. No suspension on Torres for his countless head shots yet other minor offenses are suspendable. The NHL is too inconsistent with its rulings and its easy to see the Canadian bias this year.
Care to elaborate? Elaborate like in, you know, stating facts instead of your subjective point of view?

Old
06-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Reign Nateo

Quote:
This is a load of ******** and you know it. Reads like a jealous 14 year old that has been watching hockey for 15 months wrote it. Breaks go both ways, there is no conspiracy or master plan. You Canuck haters just want to ignore the actual gameplay and harp on something like "luck" it's pathetic.

Every team has had an excuses as to why the Canucks got by them. Canucks are here because they stopped making excuses. "Luck" "bounces" are excuses made by losers. And you're a hypocrite if you think Torres is doing anything Dustin Brown wouldn't do.

It may be much easier for you people to move on with your lives if you can just come to grips with the fact that the Canucks are a very good team. There's no luck involved. They've made their breaks and you people need to start accepting it rather than making the same excuses over and over and over and over again. You guys either need to accept things, get a hobby, or get more creative.

Deal with it.

Old
06-05-2011, 08:51 AM
CrosbyCrosby*

nope guys he's right didnt you see the clear ref bias for the 102 games the canucks played this season? i mean, it's not like they got less calls than the other teams or anything, or have a 20 something streak of getting outpenalized.

Old
06-05-2011, 09:07 AM
BMOK33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyCrosby View Post
i think people aren't realizing that just because it was a 1 goal game, it doesnt mean the games were amazingly close. the canucks have dominated the majority of both games and thomas has kept them in it, for the most part LOL.
He's made some good saves but to me its been more the Bruins seem to beat the Canucks to alot of loose pucks in the offensive end (outside of the 3rd period), they have generally kept the slot area very under control...it seems while the Canucks have had some long periods of sustained pressure its often on the perimeters, and they have blocked alot of shots...it just seems that whenever a big mistake has been made the puck has gone in the net. Game 3 has been ugly for the Canucks both times they led series 2-0, so we'll see what happens Monday night...I'd be very surprised if Boston did not win....even if its not a 5-1 or 6-2 game.

Old
06-05-2011, 09:09 AM
crazyforhockey

almost need Brian Burke to speak up again
" Sedin is not swedish for punch me in the face and put me in a headlock"

or swedish for you can crosscheck me and no penalty
how many times to they get crosschecked multiply times on a play and no penalty.......sometimed it is almost hiliarious that they get no star player breaks.....or player breaks"

so dont mention getting not getting breaks for the other team

Old
06-05-2011, 09:18 AM
jonnydraft

Quote:
Care to elaborate? The only suspendable hit performed by Torres cost him, and the Canucks, 2 playoff games. But you won't mention that 'cause it doesn't jive with your BS conspiracy theory. The hit on Keith was as clean as they come. In fact, most people who saw that hit from an objective standpoint argued that it shouldn't have even been a penalty, let alone a major. Nevertheless, the Canucks withstood the poor call, persevered, and managed to right a sinking ship. That is what teams have to do in order to win the Stanley Cup. *****ing, whining and complaining will get you nowhere.

Old
06-05-2011, 09:30 AM
crazyforhockey

or you mention overcoming the wrong call on the over the glass call that shouldnt have been callled last night......clearly hit the glass.........but that is correct they are overcoming the bad call,or tough goal etc

the one thing I'm noticing is that Chara who plays big minutes,and who is a fitness stud is looking tired/making mistakes........and they dont really have the luxury to play the other dmen (other than seidenberg) against a deep team

very similiar to Pronger last year ....where still playing well in the SCF but looked tired......tired enough vs a tough team that it gave an edge to the other team
will be intresting to see how Chara manages in the next few gms playing 30 mins and tough 30 mins vs the sedins

Old
06-05-2011, 09:32 AM
99GoHabsGo99
MontrealCanadiens200

Quote:
Round 1 : Boston Bruins??

Old
06-05-2011, 09:40 AM
crazyforhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GoHabsGo99 View Post
Round 1 : Boston Bruins??
it seemed Bos was targeting Montreal players with the intent to knock them out of the series
esp after the play

Old
06-05-2011, 10:23 AM
Shareefruck

Can we see Ballard in already? IMO, in addition to the Bruins playing better today, the Canucks played well below their usual intensity as a result of slower defensemen who don't move the puck as crisply (although Alberts played well). This is the Stanley Cup finals, get Rome out of there.

Let's see

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Higgins
Torres - Lapierre - Hansen
Tambellini - Malhotra - Oreskovich

Hamhuis (Alberts) - Bieksa
Edler - Ehrhoff
Ballard - Salo

Luongo
Schneider

already.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deanmoriarty View Post
Why do 'nucks fans treat Malhotra like he's Trevor Linden coming out of retirement?? I remember when he got injured fans in Van were telling me that losing him might seriously damage their cup chances. This is a 3rd liner who has played less than 100 games in a Vancouver uniform. Why are people so crazy about him? Genuinely curious here...
Because we didn't have a 4th liner like Lapierre playing miraculously well at the time, and even if Malhotra isn't THAT good, the way our depth is structured, he is that important. Take a look at what the team depth might have looked like without him..

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Raymond - Kesler - Samuelsson
Higgins - Hodgson - Hansen
Torres - Bolduc - Oreskovich

Tambellini - ???? - Glass

Edler - Ehrhoff
Hamhuis - Bieksa
Ballard - Salo
Alberts - Tanev
Rome - Parent

Luongo
Schneider
Lack

Fact is that any other injury (other than Henrik or Kesler) probably could have been easier to adjust to because of the depth that was behind it. We happened to have no center depth after the 3rd line spot as it was, and a lack of a 4th line center was already our biggest weakness.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 06-05-2011 at 10:41 AM.
Old
06-05-2011, 10:42 AM
DateWithStanley

Quote:
Totally. That delay of game penalty against the Canucks where the puck rolled off the glass is a prime example this favoritism towards the Canucks. It's sickening how the refs make calls like this in Vancouver's favor...

Old
06-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Rob Zepp

Quote:
Never seen so many lucky breaks and calls go for one team. No suspension for countless head shots yet other minor offenses are suspendable. The NHL is too inconsistent with its rulings and its easy to see the Canadian bias this year. Bettman owes Canada a cup and the NHL knows it. The most undeserved Championship in recent sports history with 2 more Vancouver wins.
Wow...thought you were describing Chicago's improbable run last year and the Buf, Ladd etc. stuff.

This seems to hurt you in unimaginable ways. This may actually be one of the most deserved wins in NHL history if Vancouver manages to win 2 more games. They paid their dues the old fashioned way, built their team without "funny" contracts, addressed issues even with their elite players, brought in key pieces, dealt with more injuries in regular season than any other playoff team, have endured playoff injuries to key players and have had to deal with the goofiest schedule in NHL history.

This is a team that one can say, IF they win two more games, well deserved. No taint unlike last season.

Old
06-05-2011, 11:23 AM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by DateWithStanley View Post
Totally. That delay of game penalty against the Canucks where the puck rolled off the glass is a prime example this favoritism towards the Canucks. It's sickening how the refs make calls like this in Vancouver's favor...
Those five straight PP's for San Jose in Game 4 of that series. Such incredible bias!

Old
06-05-2011, 11:37 AM
Whale

This is so great. Boston is totally eating their own medicine and has clearly been distracted and taken off of their game. The evidence is Peverly making that slash right when the Bruins finally have some momentum and a lead. If you don't think that fired up the Canucks, watch what happened afterwards, the next shift we started taking the game back.

Again, Bruins are a good team, they got this far, but the Canucks are just too much for them.

Closed Thread