HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

SCF: Boston Bruins (3) vs. Vancouver Canucks (1) (Part 3)

View Poll Results: Series Outcome
Vancouver in 4 48 16.49%
Vancouver in 5 118 40.55%
Vancouver in 6 51 17.53%
Vancouver in 7 6 2.06%
Boston in 5 4 1.37%
Boston in 6 30 10.31%
Boston in 7 34 11.68%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
The larger point is that Bruins fans, egged on by the media, are making a much bigger deal about this than it deserves.

IF Burrows did intentionally bite Bergeron, it was silly, immature, but hardly the end of the world. There's also a certain hypocrisy in hockey, in which shoving your fingers into someone's mouth is considered part of the game, but god forbid you bite those fingers in your mouth. In a world where biting isn't considered adult behavior, how is face washing?

And beyond that, those making broad statements about Burrows and what kind of player he is have no clue. Yeah, he's the kind of guy you love to have on your team and hate to have on someone else's team. But he's hard working, good natured, exuberant, and most of all, humble. Those qualities are more than enough to make up for any little indiscretions he might have on the ice.
It's just a bit condescending to be told how we're supposed to react. There was a clear precedent of the league suspending players who bite others, along with clear evidence that Burrows bit Bergeron. I couldn't care less if he's a freaking saint except for this incident, and for the record, he's a pretty darned good hockey player. BUT, in this particular incident, he bit Bergeron, and should have been suspended. He wasn't - probably because it's the SC Finals - and Bruins fans are upset.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:05 PM
Oni

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking View Post
not sure about your choice of words "adult behavior", the issue is how far things can be taken in an aggressive manner, pushing your glove in someone's face happens continually and it is a normal aggressive move in hockey that is often a precursor to a fight.... biting is never acceptable as it is so extremely dangerous and beyond what any honorable sport allows, even MMA where they are out to fight and knock each other out unconcious would never allow biting, it goes beyond, simple as that
Slow down there buddy. It isn't as if Burrows ripped a chunk of flesh off Bergeron here.

I find it curious this whole suspension thing has gotten taken this far; is this really about the biting? Or hoping one of the Canucks key players was unavailable to give Boston some sort of edge?

Old
06-03-2011, 08:09 PM
a pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadLooch View Post
It's just a bit condescending to be told how we're supposed to react. There was a clear precedent of the league suspending players who bite others, along with clear evidence that Burrows bit Bergeron. I couldn't care less if he's a freaking saint except for this incident, and for the record, he's a pretty darned good hockey player. BUT, in this particular incident, he bit Bergeron, and should have been suspended. He wasn't - probably because it's the SC Finals - and Bruins fans are upset.
There's also precedent for not suspending him, see Savard v. Carcillo which you guys still can't seem to see how hypocritical you're being about the entire situation.

Maybe you should call 911 about it?

Old
06-03-2011, 08:09 PM
rune74

Quote:
Well there was precedents of players being suspended for fan altercations but you know how that went right? As for the other biting cases, did the damsel bitten put his fingers in the other players mouth?

Old
06-03-2011, 08:10 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewillia8 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I think he means ASIDE from that time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze23 View Post
Given the guy you quoted, that's a guarantee.
all i saw was a crowd? Got a better vid? Maybe of the bite? You know, like the vid we've all seen from burrows on bergeron?

lol carcillo

Old
06-03-2011, 08:11 PM
a pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
all i saw was a crowd? Got a better vid? Maybe of the bite? You know, like the vid we've all seen from burrows on bergeron?

lol carcillo
So it's alright when a Bruin does it, like when Marchand dove in game one and Savard bite Carcillo, but not okay when someone else does.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:15 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeking View Post
not sure about your choice of words "adult behavior", the issue is how far things can be taken in an aggressive manner, pushing your glove in someone's face happens continually and it is a normal aggressive move in hockey that is often a precursor to a fight.... biting is never acceptable as it is so extremely dangerous and beyond what any honorable sport allows, even MMA where they are out to fight and knock each other out unconcious would never allow biting, it goes beyond, simple as that
Biting through a glove is "extremely dangerous"? Now that's the hyperbole that we are pushing back on. It's not like Burrows pierced his glove with his teeth. Now, that would be something. Of the dangerous plays we are used to seeing in hockey on a nightly basis, this is not high on the scale.

And a MMA fighter stuck his fingers in an opposing fighter's mouth, it would be his own damn fault if he got cut. That's just stupid. There's a key difference between attacking someone with a bite, and just closing your mouth on a finger that has been put in your mouth.

Quote:
And there are two other precedents - one being that unless the biting motion is egregious, the NHL looks the other way. The other is that the NHL is not likely to hand out suspensions in the Finals. As long as the league is in control of supplementary discipline, they get to decide whether a player should be suspended, not Bruins fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oni View Post
Slow down there buddy. It isn't as if Burrows ripped a chunk of flesh off Bergeron here.

I find it curious this whole suspension thing has gotten taken this far; is this really about the biting? Or hoping one of the Canucks key players was unavailable to give Boston some sort of edge?
Ding ding.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:18 PM
Samzilla

vCash: 934
Quote:
There was also a clear precedent of the league suspending someone (a coach, not player) who squirted water at a fan and shook a stick (in the playoffs, no less). Not dissimilar to Horton squirting a fan and throwing a water bottle at him. But Horton wasn't suspended despite the precedent. No complaints when the league threw precedent out the window in your favour, eh?

Let me translate this whole situation:

Canucks fans arguments=Burrows is an asset to the team so we don't want to see him suspended.
Bruins fans arguments=Burrows is an asset to the Canucks so we do want to see him suspended.

Most arguments people are using to defend their stance really boils down to the above two points.

Go Canucks! Wint it with/for Manny! Win it for Luc!

Old
06-03-2011, 08:21 PM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Savard/Carcillo has no evidence. Drop it.

Bruins fans, its the SCF, burrows would have to bite off a hole piece of a finger to get suspended. Drop it.

Jesus christ, can we talk about the god damn series and not this stupid ****?

Now, from a couple pages ago: Lucic never was a speed demon, but you can tell he is a step slower accelerating and anyone whose every played hockey knows that is very important. Plus, he also dogs a bit to the bench on line changes, which is to be expected, as he looses that adrenaline rush. Clearly, its effecting him. Thankfully, I actually think he has been looking a bit better and it may be healing up or he is becoming numb to the pain more.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:26 PM
a pony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus86 View Post
Forgive me, i thought the game was 1-0 with the goal being scored with 18 seconds left thanks to a half ass pinched by a defenseman who makes dumb plays more then anyone would like. I must be mistaken.
Don't watch games do you? Unless Thomas plays like he did in game 1 for every game this series AND the Bruins start playing a hell of a lot better, it's going to be over quick.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:27 PM
Crinny

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmyheadhurts View Post
VIA Canucks twitter:

"I'll see how I feel after our morning skate and go from there" Manny Malhotra on the odds he'll play in Game 2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opcLo...yer_detailpage

He is cleared. So we might see him in Game 2

Old
06-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Savard did it once. Carcillo claimed Savard bit him, but this is the same Carcillo who grabbed his face when a stick hit him in the lower chest. He's been shown to one of the least honorable or honest men playing hockey today. If you want to call the video of that incident overwhelming, then you have a laughably low level of proof. You must be enraged that the clearly more overwhelming evidence the Burrows intentionally bit Bergeron. What? you're not? Oh, it must be because you're a Canucks fan. Because when there's pretty clear evidence, like when Savard bit Darcy Tucker, he was suspended. In the exact same situation, Savard got suspended and Burrows didn't. That's the only thing the evidence says. So if Bruins fans are upset about the lack of a suspension that flew in the face of what you readily called "the exact same situation" (in fact, even better evidence), then you should understand.

Just exactly what I expect from a Habs fan when talking about a Bruin, complete embellishment and misrepresentation. If you can find one post that says anything like that, I'd love for you to show it. But until then, you come across as a bitter rival who only wants to take every chance to take shots at his rival's team. It's pretty sad actually.
FYI, I'm not a Canucks fan. You can read my post history and see that I've stated that multiple times . Also, I never agreed that Burrows shouldn't have gotten a suspension, I've said it numerous times, I think he deserved a suspension, but I didn't think that he would get one.

The only point I'm making is that the Bruins fans are going crazy saying Burrows is this and that because of this biting incident, when one of their own fan favorites did the same thing twice in his career. That's all.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:30 PM
Ernie

Right now, most of the hate is jealousy.

Did Toews and Bolland whine about the Canucks when they were hoisting the cup last season? NOPE.

But after they get eliminated by the Canucks in the first round, suddenly the floodgates open.

The Canucks aren't a very fun team to play against, for many reasons. That's a good thing, by most accounts. But the 99% of the whining is coming out because of where they are right now, not who they are.

Kind of funny that Bruins fans are complaining, as the Bruins have much of the same reputation in the Eastern conference.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Bocephus86

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipperston View Post
Don't watch games do you? Unless Thomas plays like he did in game 1 for every game this series AND the Bruins start playing a hell of a lot better, it's going to be over quick.
Last time I checked, goalies are part of the team. Are the rules different over there?

Old
06-03-2011, 08:37 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Right now, most of the hate is jealousy.

Did Toews and Bolland whine about the Canucks when they were hoisting the cup last season? NOPE.

But after they get eliminated by the Canucks in the first round, suddenly the floodgates open.

The Canucks aren't a very fun team to play against, for many reasons. That's a good thing, by most accounts. But the 99% of the whining is coming out because of where they are right now, not who they are.

Kind of funny that Bruins fans are complaining, as the Bruins have much of the same reputation in the Eastern conference.
To be honest, I think this style of play is what the Canucks have been missing and a part of the reason that they could never get over the hump. They also had great skilled players even going back to the WCE days but never great 3rd and 4th line players who played tough minutes against the other team. It was one of the big downfalls for them against Chicago the past few years (that and the whole Luongo/Byfuglien) thing.

I think this series will go AT LEAST 6 games. Once it hits that many, it's anyone's game.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:41 PM
a pony

Quote:
Last time I checked, goalies are part of the team. Are the rules different over there?
So Timmy's going to start forechecking and scoring goals too? Because from what the Bruins showed on Wednesday he's going to have to do everything including coach (maybe he'd be smart enough to bench Recchi and get Chara back on the point on the powerplay).

Old
06-03-2011, 08:41 PM
Moore Money

I can see why people were comparing Boston to Nashville coming into this series because they are both stingy defensive teams, but they don't really play the same way at all.

Nashville is a fast skating team that applies pressure all over the ice and shadows your top players. they rarely get hemmed in there own zone because the D moves the puck quickly and are all good skaters, except O'brein of course.

I don't really see any of that with Boston. They remind me more of Calgary, or what Calgary was suppose to be. Big tough grinding team that can play tight defense and score timely goals, but has problems with fast teams. I'm sure the Flames would have much more success in the east.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:42 PM
rune74

Quote:
We got a pretty good goalie too

Old
06-03-2011, 08:46 PM
NuxFan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
I can see why people were comparing Boston to Nashville coming into this series because they are both stingy defensive teams, but they don't really play the same way at all.

Nashville is a fast skating team that applies pressure all over the ice and shadows your top players. they rarely get hemmed in there own zone because the D moves the puck quickly and are all good skaters, except O'brein of course.

I don't really see any of that with Boston. They remind me more of Calgary, or what Calgary was suppose to be. Big tough grinding team that can play tight defense and score timely goals, but has problems with fast teams.
I agree with this assessment. Bruins fans should read this and realize that Canucks fans aren't being cocky or biased when they predict the Canucks might take the series without too much trouble. It's an objective fact that the Canucks match up well with a slower skating team like the Bruins. That doesn't mean that the Bruins don't have other weapons to give the Canucks fits. We've seen how well Thomas can play and how he has the ability to steal games. We know Chara is a previous Norris winner and was nominated again this year, and for good reason. He can shut down the best of them. However, we saw in the third period of Game 1 when the Canucks found their legs that they have the ability to just have their way with a team like the Bruins.

Old
06-03-2011, 08:48 PM
VC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixwings View Post
I think the second one is the best, Ballard is fine and Tanev has been solid, I just don't know how I feel about having Alberts out there in the SCF considering he hasn't played much hockey in a while.

But like a poster corrected me on, the coaches probably have a better idea of what's going on than me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdobbs View Post
I'd like to see the first option. I have no problem icing Rome over Ballard but when you're considering putting Alberts out over him that's ridiculous. Sure you can say Ballard isn't playing his best because he's barely been playing but there's no way Alberts has been any better in the limited minutes.

Second option wouldn't be bad. Tanev does add an element of mobility and offensive upside that Rome doesn't but I'd still say I'd rather have Rome.
I'm undecided which option I actually like more, 1 or 2. Its all a matter of who has played well with who. Ballard has by far best looked with Tanev, I could only assume Salo would work too as the two play a similar game. Ehrhoff has played best with a steady defender, Edler to start the season and Rome & Alberts at various points. Thats why I wouldn't be surprised Alberts draws in with Ehrhoff to keep the other pairings mostly intact. Bieksa has played his best with Hamhuis and well Hamhuis so that screws everything up, best guess is Rome. I haven't read the Canuck board today for the latest tibits. Judging from what we've seen my guess of what Bowness/AV will do is...

Edler - Ehrhoff
Rome - Bieksa
Ballard - Salo

Old
06-03-2011, 08:57 PM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandemic View Post
FYI, I'm not a Canucks fan. You can read my post history and see that I've stated that multiple times . Also, I never agreed that Burrows shouldn't have gotten a suspension, I've said it numerous times, I think he deserved a suspension, but I didn't think that he would get one.

The only point I'm making is that the Bruins fans are going crazy saying Burrows is this and that because of this biting incident, when one of their own fan favorites did the same thing twice in his career. That's all.
Makes sense. He probably should have/would have received a short suspension if it was the regular season. Biting is a rather bush-league thing to do, but the level of outrage is rather disproportionate given that it is far down on the list of worst things you can do to another player (checking from behind, blindside hits, skate stomps, kneeing, elbowing, sucker punches, etc... all have the potential to do much more and longer lasting damage).

Old
06-03-2011, 08:57 PM
God
Free Citizen

Quote:
Horton sprayed water on a fan in game 6 of the ECF. There's precedent for suspending a player if he does that, even coaches, yet Horton wasn't suspended. Horton went on to score the lone goal in Game 7.

I don't see any Tampa Bay fans crying.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:07 PM
Pandemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by God View Post
Horton sprayed water on a fan in game 6 of the ECF. There's precedent for suspending a player if he does that, even coaches, yet Horton wasn't suspended. Horton went on to score the lone goal in Game 7.

I don't see any Tampa Bay fans crying.
Great, great point. I'm surprised TB fans didn't complain, I certainly would have. Good on them.

Old
06-03-2011, 09:11 PM
beauchamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffalex View Post
I'm not superstitious in any way, and I have my doubt about the Bruins winning the cup, but the last time there were tornadoes in Massachusetts was in the Stanely Cup Finals in 1972 when the Bruins won. There was another one of game 1, first since then. I just thought it was cool
So people have to die from a tornado in Massachusetts for the Bruins to win the Cup?

Off with their heads !!!

Old
06-03-2011, 09:57 PM
kingshmegland

sorry folks but Tampa fans were complaining about Horton .

Quote. "How can you take these league officials serious anymore? LOL

Horton has to be suspended or they look like complete hypocrites of their own rule and most importantly, morons."

Quote. "Yes I absolutely would. You can doubt it all you want but I have always said athletes need to be professionals. He was 3 feet from being in the tunnel and being done with it. He acted like an idiot and crossed the line. Period.

All you do is disagree with anything I say and put words in my mouth. Youre view on the situation is completely wrong. Who cares what YOU think is ok or not in this situation. Its what the league thinks. Which is what myself and some people were "whining" about. Apparently stating rules or precedents set by the league is whining now. Good to know."

Quote. "I don't know, maybe. By the past statements and suspensions the NHL has handed out you'd figure this would be a clear as day suspension here for Horton, but with these ****ing whackos in the league office, everything is just an adventure. There is no defined rule(s) anymore. Its all a matter of someone's ****ing opinion. Which is stupid."

Quote. "Not need to be embarrassed, but deserved to be. The evidence is there, it's clear as day that it's Horton but the good ole' boys at the league office will just sweep this one under the rug and hope no one noticed in time."

sorry folk. They were pissed and whining like us.

Closed Thread