HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Brooks Laich - UFA contract

Old
06-02-2011, 02:53 PM
FrankM73

vCash: 500
Brooks Laich - UFA contract

Curious as to see what people think Brooksie will get on the UFA market this summer should he not be resigned by Washington before free agency.

Thoughts on annual cap hit and term? and whom might be the front runners?

Brooks Laich's stats:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=2553

FrankM73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:00 PM
habsrule22

probably between 4 and 4.5m

habsrule22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:01 PM
wej20

At least 4 million and I could see him getting offer of 4.5 +.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:04 PM
Patty Roy

I could definitely see the Habs throwing an offer his way in the $4-$4.5 per year range.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:10 PM
veedubn1

Anyone who pays him more than 4m will regret it. Great character, but his most productive years came when Washington was firing on all cylinders.

Last year's production (imo) is more indicative of what teams with typical offenses can expect from Laich moving forward.

He should stick with Washington.. but the Habs could really use a guy like him to create space for their skilled players.

veedubn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 03:30 PM
Patty Roy

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubn1 View Post
Anyone who pays him more than 4m will regret it. Great character, but his most productive years came when Washington was firing on all cylinders.

Last year's production (imo) is more indicative of what teams with typical offenses can expect from Laich moving forward.

He should stick with Washington.. but the Habs could really use a guy like him to create space for their skilled players.
I don't disagree with you that $4.5 is probably overpayment, but typically you have to overpay UFA's (at least Montreal does).

I think Laich would be a good fit for the Habs playing the right side on a line with Plekanec and Cammalleri.

Patty Roy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 04:35 PM
mpp9

Washington should be willing to pay market value to retain him. Their team has far too many passengers and laich is someone who brings it every night and can get the garbage goals around the crease that provides a different dimension in scoring. If I were them Id move semin before thinking about using laich's salary to bring in a defensive defenseman. Or more importantly imo, a 2nd line center. If they want to win now then using johansson as the 3C is the better avenue until he can develop better consistency. Kid does have skill though.

Last edited by mpp9: 06-02-2011 at 04:42 PM.
mpp9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:12 PM
DCRedhawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Washington should be willing to pay market value to retain him. Their team has far too many passengers and laich is someone who brings it every night and can get the garbage goals around the crease that provides a different dimension in scoring. If I were them Id move semin before thinking about using laich's salary to bring in a defensive defenseman. Or more importantly imo, a 2nd line center. If they want to win now then using johansson as the 3C is the better avenue until he can develop better consistency. Kid does have skill though.

Agreed, at least for the time being MoJo is a better fit at 3C. The team's improvement was noticeable during the regular season when Arnott was healthy and playing 2C and MoJo was moved down to 3C. So in short I like this plan, but there are a few snags:

1. What, of value, are they going to get for Semin? If they are trying to win now, they aren't going to trade him for cap relief.

2. Who should they get to be there 2nd line center? Arnott couldn't stay healthy in the playoffs and is getting up there in years. Richards isn't a realistic option for them, and I don't see really any legit 1b or 2Cs on the UFA market.

3. Laich's market value is going to be inflated due to the weak FA market. IMO, he's worth about the contract Stoll got, around 3.5-3.8 per. It seems as if he's going to get more. Depending on what moves they plan on making, retaining him may not be viable.

DCRedhawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:16 PM
backhandsauce

Hoping the Oilers sign him. Could be great between Jones and Harty.

backhandsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 05:16 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

4-5 million. A team will overpay. UFA sucks this year

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:07 PM
Luck 6
\\_______

Wow.. You guys really think a 50 pt player on Washington is going to cash in with a 4.5mil contract? Maybe... He was on my wish list of UFAs for Vancouver, but we couldn't afford a dime over 3.5mil. I personally think anyone who pays him over 4mil will end up regretting it very quickly. Look at Ryder for example (although he had the 1 good season in Boston).

Luck 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:17 PM
Fleuryoutside29

I think he will get right around 4 mil. I think hes leaving Washington and the caps bring in a big name center via trade or free agency. I can see the caps going after Duchene offering one of their goalies for him. Unless Colorado finds a Goalie via another option this could end being a huge trade. but very unlikely to happen.

Fleuryoutside29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:28 PM
Gagnefan924
Need Moar AmericanZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryoutside29 View Post
I think he will get right around 4 mil. I think hes leaving Washington and the caps bring in a big name center via trade or free agency. I can see the caps going after Duchene offering one of their goalies for him. Unless Colorado finds a Goalie via another option this could end being a huge trade. but very unlikely to happen.
Colorado wont trade Duchene unless Ovechkin is coming back.

Gagnefan924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 06:34 PM
wej20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Wow.. You guys really think a 50 pt player on Washington is going to cash in with a 4.5mil contract? Maybe... He was on my wish list of UFAs for Vancouver, but we couldn't afford a dime over 3.5mil. I personally think anyone who pays him over 4mil will end up regretting it very quickly. Look at Ryder for example (although he had the 1 good season in Boston).
Laich's a much more complete player than Ryder (even though Ryder has more offensive potential).

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:17 PM
GossomeRwing

Laich made just over 2M last season I don't think the Caps should offer him more than 2.75M
I like his attitude but he is not great in any aspect of the game.
Stoll is one of the best face-off men in the entire league hence he got a bigger contract.

Last edited by GossomeRwing: 06-02-2011 at 08:50 PM.
GossomeRwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:29 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

He is a fringe 2nd liner / great 3rd liner...anything over 3M would be overpayment unless he is playing with 2 other great players in which case he would do well. For example, Plekanec and cammalleri. Honestly I think in a weird way he either plays first line or third line, he just doesn't seem to fit on the second line sometimes although ultimately that's where he probably fits in on teams

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:30 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

4.2-4.8

Call me crazy, but I think Winnipeg could have a real shot at him, he would fit into the makeup of that team perfectly. Plus he is a prairie boy and has loads of experience playing in the Southeast. It just makes too much sense...

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 08:59 PM
discobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanny View Post
4.2-4.8

Call me crazy, but I think Winnipeg could have a real shot at him, he would fit into the makeup of that team perfectly. Plus he is a prairie boy and has loads of experience playing in the Southeast. It just makes too much sense...
if they offer 4.8 they'd get him because that is a significant overpayment. value wise, he's a 3.25M per year guy...

discobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:00 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

3.5-4 max. there is no way a gm offers him north of 4 million. Unless his name is Sather

Phion Keneuf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:01 PM
Leafssss

I just hope Toronto doesn't sign him.

Leafssss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:11 PM
Harvey Specter
Boooooone

50-point centerman, close to PPG in the playoffs despite the Caps' complete inability to score, plays on the PK and PP, plays hard, leadership qualities. I sincerely hope and doubt that he makes it to the FA market, but if he does, someone's going to give him $4M or north of it, and he'll earn that money and the respect of any team's fans.

Like someone else said, the Caps need more guys like Laich and less of some of their other guys. He was one of their best 3 or 4 players in the playoffs.

Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleuryoutside29 View Post
Just curious but what could you see Was offering Colo that would make them want to move their franchise player?

If you think that any Goalie in the entire Was system is worth Duchene then one of us is totally off base. The Avs have way too many other options for equal or better young goalies then what Was could offer if they were to dangle a player the quality of Duchene as the bait.

I may not care for the Avs too much (loved them when they were the Nords though) but I watch Duchene a ton and that kid is the really real deal.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:23 PM
GossomeRwing

lovin ovenchicken
Do you think the Caps can afford to pay Laich 4M?
I would much rather they get Hannan signed before they even think about giving Laich crazy money.

GossomeRwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gagnefan924 View Post
Colorado wont trade Duchene unless Ovechkin is coming back.
"pass the dutchie from the left hand side."

no chance duchene has anything remotely resembling enough value to bring Ovechkin into the discussion.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
ShootIt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
3.5-4 max. there is no way a gm offers him north of 4 million. Unless his name is Sather
+1.

I see his value peaking at 4 million.

I would like the see the Panthers offer him a contract. Doubt he'll take it unless he wants to either play in the top 6/ wants money.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote