HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Dryland weight gain

Old
06-02-2011, 08:51 PM
IAMCANADIAN

vCash: 500
Dryland weight gain

At 13 yrs old, 6' and 166lbs, is 10lbs a realistic weight gain after doing an 8 week dryland program. I realize every program is different but regardless, does 10lbs so resonable or should it be more or less?

Thanks

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:02 PM
Sean Garrity
Shut up and Dance!

More like every teenager is different. Personally I didn't start gaining any real size or muscle until I was 16 or 17. Was just scrawny as hell. At 13 and being 166 pounds already is already damn good weight for being 6 foot. I have cousins who were 6 foot since the age of like 11 and are now 15 and have a hard time getting above 150. Depends on your genes, metabolism, diet, etc.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 09:43 PM
Watch for the Yeti

Im 13 5'2" and 76 lbs. I eat aton and have little muscle definition or fat. Any tips how on how to gain weight

Watch for the Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:40 PM
MeltingPlastic

if you are only 13, let nature take its course. I was chubby at 13 and by 15 i hit a growth spurt and started to even out.. by 17 i was 6' 195lbs just let it come naturally. I've always been told not to lift or anything extreme until you're about 16 due to the possible effects it could have on your development. Just be a teenager and let your body grow into itself. My only suggest may be a protein drink after working out, but besides that, i don't think you should be doing much more than just eating healthy as a 13 year old.

MeltingPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-02-2011, 11:48 PM
nullterm

vCash: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCANADIAN View Post
At 13 yrs old, 6' and 166lbs, is 10lbs a realistic weight gain after doing an 8 week dryland program. I realize every program is different but regardless, does 10lbs so resonable or should it be more or less?

Thanks
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins? Is that you??

nullterm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:15 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeltingPlastic View Post
if you are only 13, let nature take its course. I was chubby at 13 and by 15 i hit a growth spurt and started to even out.. by 17 i was 6' 195lbs just let it come naturally. I've always been told not to lift or anything extreme until you're about 16 due to the possible effects it could have on your development. Just be a teenager and let your body grow into itself. My only suggest may be a protein drink after working out, but besides that, i don't think you should be doing much more than just eating healthy as a 13 year old.
I have to agree with this. You probably shouldn't start bulking up until you're 17 or 18. Even then you might have trouble, but at 13 you don't know how taking various supplements might affect your body during its development. I'm 6'1" and had trouble maintaining 165lbs until I was in my 20s. Everyone is different, but at 13, 6' 166lbs is pretty good.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 05:33 AM
IAMCANADIAN

Thanks everyone for your info. The dryland program I was going to do is body weight exercises only. Heading into Bantam next year, I thought the extra weight would help.

THanks again

IAMCANADIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:02 AM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

Oh I saw "weight gain" and assumed it was a weight gain supplement like Up Your Mass or something. If it's simply a work out program then go for it. Body weight is exactly what you should be doing right now. Leave the powerlifting alone for a while so you don't hurt yourself (I'm not saying that to be condescending. when I was your age I hurt myself lifting. It's easy to do early on), but body weight exercises are good for you. If you're looking to bulk up another ten pounds you need to increase your caloric and protein intake in your regular meals. For example: at 175ish pounds, I am currently eating somewhere in the neighborhood of 3000 calories and 150-180 grams of protein while working out 30-45 minutes per day in an effort to gain ten pounds. That isn't exactly what you should be doing, but it might give you an idea. Up your caloric intake in your diet, and eat your target weight of protein (in grams. if you're aiming for 176 lbs, eat somewhere in the neighborhood of 176 grams of protein. chicken, eggs, even stuff like Chef Boyardee is good for protein and calories.) Just make sure to stay away from supplements (excluding protein shakes. those are generally fine) if at all possible. Ten lbs is doable in eight weeks, but don't stress yourself out if you can't get it. Everyone is different.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:13 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Man I'm jealous of you tall skinny kids. I'm 27, 5'8, and 180. Ugh.

Anyways, check out a book called Convict Conditioning, it's a really good body weight program that builds a lot of strength and prevents injuries. If you combine that with hill sprints you'll probably be running circles around the other kids come fall.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Ani simov mal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonKid97 View Post
Im 13 5'2" and 76 lbs. I eat aton and have little muscle definition or fat. Any tips how on how to gain weight
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: eat everything you see.

Ani simov mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:46 PM
IDuck

go at it full speed...i highly highly doubt you can gain 10lbs at 13yrs of age no matter what you do...understand that your body is still growing and your too young to be worrying about that stuff...work out and do your thing but once your body fully matures is when you will really be able to put on the weight in a good way

IDuck is offline   Reply With Quote