Notices

Dudley let go / Kevin Cheveldayoff new GM[ALL GM talk goes here]

Old
06-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Scouter

vCash: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
Talk is cheap. Having a GM that worked in a winning organization and comes highly recommended by people around the NHL speaks much louder than any words at a press conference. Cheveldayoff will also have the luxury of a 2-3 year honeymoon period here in Winnipeg, which affords him the opportunity to build a team the right way. Plus, he's got some pretty decent pieces to build around already.

I hear where you're coming from with Heisinger, but I don't think you can underestimate how important it is for True North to have one of "their guys" involved in the day-to-day hockey operations. Personally, I see Heisinger as more of a logistics guy who will ensure the franchise is operating smoothly as a whole, and won't interfere too much with personnel decisions.
To make his mistakes, which will happen according to Heisinger.

Wasn't it pretty much Craig who kind of hired Kevin, I mean there was talk of Craig being the GM, which I think would have been worse, I'm glad they have someone who has NHL experience at least, although very little of it.

I was wondering if Ramsay is good friends with Kevin, because if he is he maybe has a very good chance of staying on as coach.

I see Craig as the more thoughtful calming influence, I think he will be good for Kevin, because Kevin seems to go on his emotions more and not think things through as much, it seems that Craig might be reining him in a lot and when Craig has some NHL exp. he might end up being the GM there.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Snowman

vCash: 500
I think Zinger will also be used for finding "hidden gems" in our system and other team's systems as well. He seems to have a real knack at spotting unknown talent.

Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 04:15 PM
Guardian17
Strong & Free

Cheveldayoff interview on the FAN 960.

http://www.fan960.com/media.jsp?cont...8_224011_11160

Guardian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:26 AM
Scouter

Kevin talks about if you aren't changing you aren't moving forward, but if it's not the right change you aren't moving forward, change for the sake of change is not the way to go.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:41 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstairs View Post
Kevin talks about if you aren't changing you aren't moving forward, but if it's not the right change you aren't moving forward, change for the sake of change is not the way to go.
I love this, personally. It's part of the reason why a team like Detroit is consistently good, they don't just make moves, they make moves with a purpose. They don't just sign a free agent for the sake of signing a free agent, for the sake of making a move, etc.

I think this is going to be a very well run organization, and players will want to play here because of that.

06-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
ajcthrashers Chris Vivlamore
Just spoke to #Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay. He just heard from Winnipeg GM last night. Still no decision on coaching staff's future.
I really doubt they're going to keep Ramsay here, to be honest. Part of me wishes they'd just let him go now instead of dragging it out. It's pretty clear they're going 'the TNSE way' with their own people. Or, perhaps Ramsay may stay on as an asst. coach?

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I love this, personally. It's part of the reason why a team like Detroit is consistently good, they don't just make moves, they make moves with a purpose. They don't just sign a free agent for the sake of signing a free agent, for the sake of making a move, etc.

I think this is going to be a very well run organization, and players will want to play here because of that.
Well I'm not sure from what I've heard Kevin say that he knows this, I hope he does, he seems to be a real go getter who never wants to rest and wants to get things done quickly, but you have to be patient in this and make the right decision, and not be rushing, that's where I think Craig H. will be very valuable, I just hope Craig reigns Kevin in at the right times and Kevin lets Craig hold him back from making a possible wrong decision.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
@ajcthrashers Thrashers support staff, inc equipmt mgrs, trainers & strength coach told they won't go to WPG
Some more shuffling taking place, or, taking it's course..

Old
06-10-2011, 10:32 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstairs View Post
Well I'm not sure from what I've heard Kevin say that he knows this, I hope he does, he seems to be a real go getter who never wants to rest and wants to get things done quickly, but you have to be patient in this and make the right decision, and not be rushing, that's where I think Craig H. will be very valuable, I just hope Craig reigns Kevin in at the right times and Kevin lets Craig hold him back from making a possible wrong decision.
He stated the following in one of the interviews I listened to it this morning. And from what Chipman and Heisinger have said, moves will be made with opinions and views from those involved and a well thought out process will take place.

Could be in this interview, I listened to 2 this morning that were done within the last couple days.

Old
06-17-2011, 12:06 AM
Hawker14

On June 18, 2010 I posted this as five GM's I thought would be excellent GM selections (in a Brian Burke thread) and was laughed at. Looking back I should've laid down some money.

Quote:
1) Doug Wilson
2) Kevin Cheveldayoff
3) Randy Carlyle
4) Jim Nill
5) Craig Heisinger

Hawker14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 12:30 AM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
On June 18, 2010 I posted this as five GM's I thought would be excellent GM selections (in a Brian Burke thread) and was laughed at. Looking back I should've laid down some money.
I can’t see why you would have been laughed at. Those five gentlemen have impressive records with the two most professional AHL franchises, and two of the better run NHL franchises. Any one would make an excellent General Manager for any team.

Kevin Cheveldayoff was the General Manager of the Chicago Wolves for 12 years, and assistant General Manager for the Chicago Blackhawks for 2. He won a Stanley Cup with the Blackhawks, two Calder Cups with the Wolves, and two Turner Cups with the Wolves.

Jim Nill is the assistant General Manager of the Detroit Red Wings. He’s been with the organisation since 1994, and directed Detroit’s amateur scouting and ran the Adirondack Red Wings and now the Grand Rapids Griffins. He’s won four Stanley Cups with Detroit.

Craig Heisinger was Manitoba Moose assistant General Manager for three years, and General Manager for a further nine.

Doug Wilson has been San Jose’ General Manager since 2003, a perennial contender for the Stanley Cup.

Randy Carlyle was General Manager of the Manitoba Moose for 5 years, and followed it up by coaching the Anaheim Ducks to a Stanley Cup.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-20-2011, 01:08 PM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Looks like Duds is in demand:

Quote:
Russostrib: Former #thrashers GM Rick Dudley will meet with half a dozen teams at draft; hopes to accept by Friday so he can be at table
I would think Chicago or Florida would be front-runners.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote