Notices

Dudley let go / Kevin Cheveldayoff new GM[ALL GM talk goes here]

Old
06-03-2011, 10:28 PM
dobiezeke*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
TNSE would be making a terrible mistake if they canned Rick Dudley.
My opinion on the situation to this point:

An interview with Chipman this week indicated that he had not contacted Dudley to this point...

There has been no information from Dudley/TSNE that Dudley will be the GM - the team is 3 weeks from the Draft

Dudley has not indicated that he has been approached by TSNE nor stated his desire to move to Winnipeg as the GM.

From an outside viewpoint it seems odd that their is a lack of information pertaining to Dudley yet multiple stories are coming out regarding other possible candidates.

It will be interesting to see what happens - I imagine once the ticket drive is completed TSNE will begin to forge this team in the image they desire

Edit: I posted this prior to the article on Dudley in the Buffalo press. I have the utmost respect for Dudley and believe he would be the best choice for the GM with either Zinger as the Asst GM or another choice from the Moose system.

Last edited by dobiezeke*: 06-03-2011 at 10:40 PM.
dobiezeke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:33 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

youd think they'd keep him at least until the draft as most other options probably haven't scouted as much as he has, and certainly not as well as he has

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:05 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
There is nothing that hard about winning at the AHL level, you have to simply be willing to pay for AHL veterans nobody else wants because they will take ice time away from prospects.
It takes more than just veterans. There are lots of holes left in AHL organizations that need to be filled with undrafted and free agent players. I disagree that just any old GM can bring together a bunch of vets and win.

06-04-2011, 12:13 AM
LT

I don't know why they wouldn't retain Dudley. Chipman said he knows him well but maybe he would have to work under Zinger and didn't like that. I'm not sure maybe they will still consider him but want to make sure they interview everyone and pick the best person.

LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 05:58 AM
goalie311

Man, this franchise loves pilfering talent from the Blackhawks!

goalie311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 06:32 AM
Chain Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Jets View Post
I hope he doesn't take a "dayoff" from making this franchise the best!

Man that was bad

Chain Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:48 AM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT View Post
I don't know why they wouldn't retain Dudley. Chipman said he knows him well but maybe he would have to work under Zinger and didn't like that. I'm not sure maybe they will still consider him but want to make sure they interview everyone and pick the best person.
I remember watching Chipman talk about Dudley, how he knew him a long time and I just got the feeling from his expression and body language that the conversation he needed to have with Dudley was not something he was looking forward to.

Clearly, Zinger is his guy, it remains to be seen what his title will be, what sort of front office structure will come out of this. Something else to consider: Chipman now needs someone to run his AHL team. Could that be where Dudley fits into the organization? Yeah, AHL GM is quite a demotion from NHL GM. But then, so is unemployment.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:08 AM
jamwires

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
I remember watching Chipman talk about Dudley, how he knew him a long time and I just got the feeling from his expression and body language that the conversation he needed to have with Dudley was not something he was looking forward to.

Clearly, Zinger is his guy, it remains to be seen what his title will be, what sort of front office structure will come out of this. Something else to consider: Chipman now needs someone to run his AHL team. Could that be where Dudley fits into the organization? Yeah, AHL GM is quite a demotion from NHL GM. But then, so is unemployment.
Dudley would land on his feet somewhere, no question, probably in Florida with Tallon in some capacity.

However, I don't really understand why we wouldn't hang on to him? The interview I saw with him at the draft combine seemed like he had a future in Winnipeg, he even said so - so I'm wondering what this is all about...

jamwires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:31 AM
BrianL*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
The interview I saw with him at the draft combine seemed like he had a future in Winnipeg, he even said so - so I'm wondering what this is all about...
Perhaps nothing more than the Freep being wrong again? Don't get me wrong, I've got no problem with a Zinger-Dudley 1-2 (or 1a-1b) punch. Not so keen on Ramsay, though. I'm a Noel fan.

BrianL* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:45 AM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Clearly, Zinger is his guy, it remains to be seen what his title will be, what sort of front office structure will come out of this. Something else to consider: Chipman now needs someone to run his AHL team. Could that be where Dudley fits into the organization? Yeah, AHL GM is quite a demotion from NHL GM.
But then, so is unemployment.
Well, Dudley would likely wear two hats in that scenario- most AHL GMs are the Director of Hockey Ops or Assistant GM for the parent NHL team.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:08 AM
Le Golie

I can't imagine Dudley or any other NHL GM taking an AHL job. Not going to happen.

I also expect it might be a difficult transition for everyone involved if TNSE is intent on having some (but not all) of their own people going forward.

It's not easy to hire a new GM and tell him who his coach and half his staff are going to be. Those guys need to bring their own people in. That makes for an awkward relationship no matter how professional these guys are.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
LT

Bourke was interviewed about the Sedin twins and how he got that pick from Dudley. He said that Dudley was a tough shrewed negotiator. I guess we will wait and see how this all shakes out.

All of this is a little unexpected from me anyway. I really thought it was either going to be Zinger taking the GM or Zinger saying I would rather another position for s few years until I'm ready, then Dudley being given the job. The only thing none of us know is that possibly there may be this window to not be locked into a 4 year deal with Dudley and this may just be a business move. I could see Chipman saying I will give you a 1 or 2 year contract but not 4. Just my speculation so if Zinger wants a backseat job right now and Dudley won't rework his deal then maybe that's why they are seeking Cheveldayoff.

LT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Sabreality

if Dudley isnt appreciated up that way, i'd love for Buffalo to find a job for him...come on home Duds, and bring Rammer with ya.

Sabreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:17 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4aces View Post
I hope TNSE knows they'll have to pay for two GMs for four years, if this happens.

Dudley signed a four year extension late in the season.
This is a very good point Aces. One of the rumored reasons the sale closing took so long is that they had to negotiate who would be cut loose BEFORE TNSE took over the team to determine who would have to pay out contracts.

If True North was convinced that they wanted to replace Dudley, would they have not passed that contract off on ASG?

For my money, you keep Dudley and Ramsay

Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:28 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Winnipeg will not retain Rick Dudley / Hire Kevin Cheveldayoff as GM

RT @Real_ESPNLeBrun: Sources tell ESPN.com that RIck Dudley was informed Saturday by True North Entertainment that he will not be retained as the team's GM

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:33 PM
Klaus
Teemu!

vCash: 801
Quote:
Sources tell ESPN.com that RIck Dudley was informed Saturday by True North Entertainment that he will not be retained as the team's GM
Pierre LeBrun's twitter

Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:35 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Interesting. Very excited to see who TNSE has in mind.

06-04-2011, 07:36 PM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
I am dissapoint.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Burkupine

Interesting. I guess True North wants to start off building their team with their guy.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:38 PM
Don Nachbaur 26

Well that's stupid.

Don Nachbaur 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:39 PM
headsigh
leave at once!

dumb move

headsigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:41 PM
JMcLeaf
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Hm don't know how I feel about this. I liked what he was doing.

JMcLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
blasted_Sabre
Global Moderator
Warden of the North

Poor Duds. He just cant get a fair shake. Hes a good GM.

blasted_Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 597
Will they keep him in the organization in another function?

Marc the Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:42 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcLeaf View Post
Hm don't know how I feel about this. I liked what he was doing.
I actually did too, and I was rather critical the hiring of Dudley after how much of a disaster he was in Tampa and Florida.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote