HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > ECHL and other Minor Pro Leagues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Elmira To Announce Head Coach Wednesday

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2011, 06:09 PM
  #1
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
Elmira To Announce Head Coach Wednesday

http://www.jackalshockey.com/news/te...oach-wednesday

Wonder who it will be?

Wonder if any chance it will be Terry Ruskowski or Mark Morrison?

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 07:25 PM
  #2
Johnny8242
Registered User
 
Johnny8242's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Greenville, SC
Country: United States
Posts: 928
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Johnny8242
Sweet Daddy Leo is coming back!

Johnny8242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:52 AM
  #3
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny8242 View Post
Sweet Daddy Leo is coming back!
Har, har, har....i'd rather have the DREADFUL Perry Florio back over him.

I don't think he will be back in the league next season. He's burned a lot of bridges. Brush in Florida couldn't wait for him to leave, a lot of other teams he's coached either folded while he was there or a year after he left town. With scrooge holding the fort here and all his concession cuts, we'll break that ice for now. I know the owners of the Germain Arena/Blades were at one point looking to sell.

Florio hasn't coached again since he coached here in 05-06.

I wish a wildcard was Chuck Weber. Not sure whats gunna happen to him(i'm guessing he may stay on for wherever Florida's affiliate will be)

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 07:44 PM
  #4
Solution
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cheswick, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
Pat Bingham is the man according to ECHL.com.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 08:00 PM
  #5
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
Yep:

http://www.jackalshockey.com/news/te...ham-head-coach

Interesting hire. I figured for sure he had paid his dues at this level. The only saving grace is he should know well enough how the callups and all that work enough that when the storm starts he will have a plan in place for replacements. Cameron was lost with that. LOL. Martinson actually did a decent job in regards to this. Making the playoffs aren't much of an issue for the Jackals....it's succeeding in them.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 03:31 AM
  #6
Solution
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cheswick, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
I wish him well, but I think that he will do a good job. I vaguely remember him with Wheeling, and I thought that he did a good job with that team. Of course, I believe that those teams had guys like Zenon Konopka on them so it might be a little bit skewed. I am wondering if the reason he took the job is to get back into head coaching. A little bit of a refresher course.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 07:26 AM
  #7
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post
I wish him well, but I think that he will do a good job. I vaguely remember him with Wheeling, and I thought that he did a good job with that team. Of course, I believe that those teams had guys like Zenon Konopka on them so it might be a little bit skewed. I am wondering if the reason he took the job is to get back into head coaching. A little bit of a refresher course.
I'm guessing you were either a Chiefs guy or are a Reading guy? lol. He won the Brophy award in Wheeling in 04.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008232004.html

Dang, did they not have a vet rule in 03-04?!

He did say he was gunna utilize the 4 vet spots though.

Quote:
Bingham said he became interested in the Elmira job when he learned Nichols did not want to continue coaching. He contacted Nichols and after a few weeks had the chance to interview in Detroit with Nichols and the Afrs.

That interview was as intense as anything he's ever dealt with, Bingham said.

"I was raked over the coals," he said. "No punches were pulled. Dr. Afr wanted to make sure I was the right man for the job."
Didn't give a reason why he actually took it. But the guy is soon to be 43. How many AHL Teams want a guy in his mid to late 40's? Not many i'm sure. Teams generally also like younger NHL coaches too, i'm guessing his days of living the dream are ticking. He also has a family now. I could see this being a "settle down" coach until you get run outta town type of a deal.


Last edited by SFTC Addict: 06-09-2011 at 07:33 AM.
SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 07:51 AM
  #8
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
Heres some coverage:

Elmira news station with about a 1:30 worth of footage

http://www.wetmtv.com/sports/story/E...BRmABANpQ.cspx

Elmira Newspaper:

http://www.stargazette.com/article/2...xt|FRONTPAGE|s

Quote:
Jackals general manager Robbie Nichols said he and team owners Mostafa Afr and Tamer Afr were unanimous in choosing Bingham from among the estimated 30 candidates who applied for the job. Nichols said he narrowed the final list to be interviewed by ownership to three, and Bingham was the only one with AHL head coaching experience.
30 people applied for a AA coaching job? That seems high to me. At one point awhile back Nichols said he only recieved 12 resumes...

I still don't see why the AHL Experience really matters in all this, the callup situations are different.

I'd love to know who the other 2 fnal candidates were.

Quote:
Nichols said a major reason why he took over last season as Jackals head coach from Malcolm Cameron was how Cameron struggled dealing with Elmira's AHL affiliates and their requests from them for call-ups.

"Malcolm couldn't handle that," Nichols said.


Kinda like in the clip from the TV news he took a read between the lines type of a shot at Cameron and his skills.

Quote:
Bingham, 42, said he'd have no such problem, and his time as Bridgeport head coach helped prepare him for those situations.

"It's the nature of the beast," he said, recalling how call-ups last season decimated his Sound Tigers roster.

"I worked all year in the AHL with ECHL players and guys just out of college," he said. "My experience in that league will help me."
Again, i'm not sure how. Yeah the ECHL league is typically younger. I can't say it's the same with ECHL callups. Some ECHL guys could actually play in the ECHL but hardly any FHL guys(regardless of their efforts)belong on AA ices.

Quote:
"I know first-hand this is a tough building to play in," he said of First Arena.
I want an outsiders opinion. I personally don't think it is anymore, it used to be back when he was in Adirondack like 02-03(our 3rd season) we were usually selling out weekend games on the regular, but it's a different time. Back then the community could relate to the team because their was a core in their 3rd season here. This year it's likely to be all new players.

Quote:
Bingham said he became interested in the Elmira job when he learned Nichols did not want to continue coaching. He contacted Nichols and after a few weeks had the chance to interview in Detroit with Nichols and the Afrs.

That interview was as intense as anything he's ever dealt with, Bingham said.

"I was raked over the coals," he said. "No punches were pulled. Dr. Afr wanted to make sure I was the right man for the job."
I'm not sure if this is supposed to be a good thing or not.

Quote:
Bingham considers recruiting talent a major part of his job.

He said he wants some veterans who aren't looking to move up to the AHL
Hopefully this helps offset the callups a bit, i've never understood why more teams don't utilize the 4 veterans. Last season we had one. I can't recall if Reading or Trenton had more than 2. Wheeling might have had 4(after I think the Crowder bros trade)

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 03:33 AM
  #9
Solution
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cheswick, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Green Men Rule;33524008]I'm guessing you were either a Chiefs guy or are a Reading guy? lol. He won the Brophy award in Wheeling in 04.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008232004.html

Dang, did they not have a vet rule in 03-04?!


Actually, I am probably more of a Wheeling guy now because of the Penguins' affiliation. At that time, I believe that Wheeling had just become affiliated with the Penguins. I remembered thinking that Johnstown would have been a better choice in my mind. I preferred the Chiefs to the Nailers. I will admit to hoping that the Nailers end up moving to Johnstown. However, I would like to see them get different ownership. Not a big fan of the Brooks Brothers. Somebody with a little more compassion intrigues me. Like say the Russian Mafia.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:15 AM
  #10
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Solution;33543805]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post
I'm guessing you were either a Chiefs guy or are a Reading guy? lol. He won the Brophy award in Wheeling in 04.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/l...008232004.html

Dang, did they not have a vet rule in 03-04?!


Actually, I am probably more of a Wheeling guy now because of the Penguins' affiliation. At that time, I believe that Wheeling had just become affiliated with the Penguins. I remembered thinking that Johnstown would have been a better choice in my mind. I preferred the Chiefs to the Nailers. I will admit to hoping that the Nailers end up moving to Johnstown. However, I would like to see them get different ownership. Not a big fan of the Brooks Brothers. Somebody with a little more compassion intrigues me. Like say the Russian Mafia.
What ECHL Team is the closest to you? I admit as a guy who lives on the PA/NY boarder i've never heard of Cheswick. I agree on the Johnstown/Pens Affiliation, not sure on the proximity but Wheeling fans brag how it's only an hour away.

I've heard the whole Nailers to Johnstown full time rumor before, I just don't see how it could financially work.

The Brooks Bros feed BS that they care but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know they really don't. The problem is...i'm not sure many outsiders are dieing to go to West Virginia for business ventures. People in Wheeling are broke, I doubt anyone locally could afford a team(well that WANTS IT anyway)

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:31 AM
  #11
Solution
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cheswick, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Green Men Rule;33544401]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post

What ECHL Team is the closest to you? I admit as a guy who lives on the PA/NY boarder i've never heard of Cheswick. I agree on the Johnstown/Pens Affiliation, not sure on the proximity but Wheeling fans brag how it's only an hour away.

I've heard the whole Nailers to Johnstown full time rumor before, I just don't see how it could financially work.

The Brooks Bros feed BS that they care but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know they really don't. The problem is...i'm not sure many outsiders are dieing to go to West Virginia for business ventures. People in Wheeling are broke, I doubt anyone locally could afford a team(well that WANTS IT anyway)
Right now the closest to me would be the Wheeling Nailers. It is about an hour away from Pittsburgh. However, Johnstown was only about an hour and 20 minutes away. I went to college at Pitt-Johnstown my freshman year so I have an affinity for the area.

Cheswick is about 20 minutes from the Consol Energy Center depending upon traffic. So I will openly admit to being mainly an NHL man, but I do love the minors. I went to an ECHL game at the Civic Arena when Wheeling first signed on with the Pens. They had a game against the Peoria Rivermen at the Civic Arena. I was able to get tickets. I remember Chris Wells (a former Penguins' first round pick) playing for Peoria. I also rmember yelling at him that I could not believe the Penguins had wasted a first rounder on him.

I figure that if the Pittsburgh-Nailers affiliation ever ends, the Nailers are in big trouble. I think that half of their attendance comes from people going to Wheeling to the casino who get a ticket in order to see the "future Penguins" before they become stars.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:43 AM
  #12
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
Article out of the Corning paper, a different view....more towards the type of team one might expect to see this season:

http://www.the-leader.com/sports/x83...urn-to-Bingham

Gotta nitpick off topic in the article for a second:

Quote:
A franchise desperately seeking stability, the Elmira Jackals introduced a 10th new head coach for the start of season No. 12 on Wednesday at First Arena. The Pat Bingham era has begun.
It's not that bad, we had Martinson for 3 seasons, they took a risk and it failed(Martinson likely would have mattered up in Chi-Town this year either way) The 10 coaches needs to be explained a bit. Two guys combined for 7 1/2 year stints of it, the other 3 1/2 have consisted of 8 different coaches.

Okay back to topic:

Quote:
Bingham, known to local hockey diehards as the coach of the hated Asheville Smoke, Adirondack IceHawks and Fort Wayne Komets, spent the last four seasons coaching the American Hockey League’s Bridgeport Sound Tigers. He’s coached at every level of the minor leagues, which is what attracted ownership to his résumé, and believes he has the answer the the Jackals’ most pressing issue over the last four seasons.

Cherry picking.
Yep, the one way Donati's were pros at it. Before them it was Frankie Littlejohn. The problem is good defensive teams, or physical ones took the donati's out to lunch.

Quote:
“I’ve dealt with that at American League level for four or five years and you can’t guarantee a win, but I have a lot of experience in developing game plans to handle a crisis like that,” Bingham said. “I coached in the AHL almost all of last year with an ECHL lineup.

“We have to have more than one style of play.”
Agreed. Martinson wasn't the worst defensive coach but it wasn't his forte. Cameron couldn't even spell defense.

Quote:
Given the team’s geographic location, which was advertised as a plus for AHL prospects, has turned out to be a curse, too.

Twelve of the AHL’s 30 franchises are within less than a seven-hour drive of the Elmira-Corning corridor, giving the AAA teams ample opportunity to call up or borrow players. It’s been an attractive recruiting tool for the three ECHL coaches in Elmira, but they’ve each been burned by AHL teams calling up/borrowing too many at once, or just not returning them.
Yep. I get really ticked by this part. it's not like you can do anything about it though.

Quote:
Bingham was chosen out of a group of more than 30 prospective coaches, according to Jackals and First Arena general manager Robbie Nichols. Bingham didn’t so much blow away owner Dr. Mostafa Afr and team president Tamer Afr as the coach did survive a grueling interview process.

“I was a little raw leaving the room because they weren’t trying make sure my feeling weren’t hurt – they put some things out in the open and tried to push some buttons to see how a I responded,” Bingham said of a meeting with the managment group. “I’m glad they decided on me because this is a wonderful opportunity to do what I want to do here.”
Not sure how I feel by the fact he was bullied I guess in the intrview process, thats a new approach.

Quote:
“No one’s been interviewed until they get interviewed by Dr. Afr. You can imagine he’s the hardest interview. He’s tough. Pat passed,” Nichols said.
Bingham met with the Afrs and Nichols in Detroit shortly after the 2010-11 season ended. Afterwards, management met, exchanged the names of their top pick on sheets of paper and Bingham was unanimous.

What sold them on Bingham, who has yet to win a championship in the CHL, UHL, ECHL and AHL, was his reputation as a tough guy – one the ice and in the dressing room. He’s not considered a players’ coach, gets his players to buy into a system and builds not around prospects, but graybeards.
Neither was Malcolm...

I'm digging the fact he likes to beat the system a bit with an older than average team. I feel like if you go too young(like Cameron) your chances of winning at this level really decrease because you have to spend forever on little things.

Quote:
“We were looking for someone with experience, someone who was tougher than the kids are nowadays – not going to be pushed around,” said Nichols, who coached the team for the last three months of last season, and was a candidate to be head coach for the 2011-12 season. “A no-nonsense guy, somebody that played a tough hockey style. We weren’t looking for Euro-hockey, I think we tried that with Malcolm (Cameron). We want to go back with tough hockey, which Elmira fans seem to like. No thuggery or goon hockey, just hard-hitting, playoff-action hockey.”
Unfortunatly i disagree, I think people here like thuggery/goonery, thanks to the bruise brothers(Legault/Wingfield)from Day 1 of the franchise. it seems like ever since we got a team we've seen every tough guy AA has had to offer(minus Big Snake who NEVER showed up)

If that crap Cameron coached was considered Euro Hockey I wanna refund. Euro Hockey has a lot of action on offense. By the end of his time here we couldn't score, so boring. I admit, i'm a HUGE diehard but I bailed on several games from mid December until Cameron got canned because I was that bored at the game. The last game I went to with Cameron coaching in mid January we lost a game 1-0(well 2-0 with a very late empty netter)to Wheeling and it was the most boring game I ever sat through, I thought about leaving midway through the 2nd. We couldn't get scoring chances, the final score wasn't indictive of the play, it was a bad game.

Quote:
“I want to taste that championship at the end of the season. Everybody says that, but I’ve wanted to do it in the past and now I see the areas I need to forge through,” Bingham said. “It’s painful sometimes to look in the mirror and see where you’ve gone wrong and where you need to go.

“I know this town is dying for a championship, the ownership is and that’s what’s missing on my résumé. I want to bring that here.”
I wish I could say I believe him, I kind of do....but i'm naive enough in general not to. It's true, this city is dying for a Championship. We got spoiled with 2 Colonial Cup Finals appearances in our first 4 seasons, lost 2 tough series to the Muskegon Fury. Had 3 tough years after that(when the UHL was declining and dying.) 4 successful years in the E, leading in sellouts every year and making the Playoffs every year. Making the Playoffs isn't even a goal anymore, it's expected.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 07:46 AM
  #13
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Solution;33544449]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post

Right now the closest to me would be the Wheeling Nailers. It is about an hour away from Pittsburgh. However, Johnstown was only about an hour and 20 minutes away. I went to college at Pitt-Johnstown my freshman year so I have an affinity for the area.

Cheswick is about 20 minutes from the Consol Energy Center depending upon traffic. So I will openly admit to being mainly an NHL man, but I do love the minors. I went to an ECHL game at the Civic Arena when Wheeling first signed on with the Pens. They had a game against the Peoria Rivermen at the Civic Arena. I was able to get tickets. I remember Chris Wells (a former Penguins' first round pick) playing for Peoria. I also rmember yelling at him that I could not believe the Penguins had wasted a first rounder on him.

I figure that if the Pittsburgh-Nailers affiliation ever ends, the Nailers are in big trouble. I think that half of their attendance comes from people going to Wheeling to the casino who get a ticket in order to see the "future Penguins" before they become stars.
People from Pittsburgh actually visit the city of Wheeling?

The funny thing is......that future stars line is nice BS fed, hardly anybody will be cracking the Penguins lineup as a regulkar down the road. It might happen once in a while, very rare but on the average a lot of those guys will be lucky to ever hang in the AHL full time.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 08:06 AM
  #14
Solution
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Cheswick, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,076
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Green Men Rule;33544528]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solution View Post

People from Pittsburgh actually visit the city of Wheeling?

The funny thing is......that future stars line is nice BS fed, hardly anybody will be cracking the Penguins lineup as a regulkar down the road. It might happen once in a while, very rare but on the average a lot of those guys will be lucky to ever hang in the AHL full time.
Well until recently there were no casinos in Pittsburgh to go to. If you wanted to do some gambling, you either went to Erie or Wheeling. In fact some of the hotels in Wheeling used to do a stay here and get free tickets to the Nailers game promo.

Actually, there have been a few ECHL guys who made it with the Penguins. Most of them were either lower round draft picks who needed a place to get regular ice time or undrafted free agents. Right now, Mark Letestu is our best example of that. True it is not a regular occurrence, but it does happen so some "future Penguins" do start in the ECHL. Not enough to market it as such, but the Nailers do. Actually, they do these advertisements on the Penguins radio braodcasts. How many other ECHL teams get the opportunity to broadcast with their parent club?


Last edited by Solution: 06-10-2011 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Additional thought to get in the post.
Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:24 PM
  #15
SFTC Addict
Not Here To Be Liked
 
SFTC Addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Middle of nowhere
Posts: 10,416
vCash: 500
[QUOTE=Solution;33544597]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Men Rule View Post

Well until recently there were no casinos in Pittsburgh to go to. If you wanted to do some gambling, you either went to Erie or Wheeling. In fact some of the hotels in Wheeling used to do a stay here and get free tickets to the Nailers game promo.

Actually, there have been a few ECHL guys who made it with the Penguins. Most of them were either lower round draft picks who needed a place to get regular ice time or undrafted free agents. Right now, Mark Letestu is our best example of that. True it is not a regular occurrence, but it does happen so some "future Penguins" do start in the ECHL. Not enough to market it as such, but the Nailers do. Actually, they do these advertisements on the Penguins radio braodcasts. How many other ECHL teams get the opportunity to broadcast with their parent club?
True, but Mark Letestu actua;;u started out in WBS, he only played 3 games in Wheeling, I couldn't tell you why. So it's not like he spent a full season or more there.

During the 09-10 season the Bakersfield Condors were pretty much the AHL Affiliate of the Anahiem Ducks.

SFTC Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.