HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prendergast Era Draft Disappointments

Closed Thread

Old
07-18-2004, 11:05 PM
GorillazXL

vCash: 500
I am very indifferent with the Paukovich pick, yeah he has size and some skill but he isn't a regarded as a skilled player or a goal scorer. IMO at 57 I would of had liked to have seen Gracik or Tomanek. I also would of had prefered Lyamin over Paukovich.

I was however very excited about the Liam Reddox pick... He quietly had a terrific Under18 tournament in the spring, and for some reason or other never was flagged by many teams . I read in the Tournament forum that he had a heck of a tournament.

GXL

Old
07-18-2004, 11:54 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohologo
Um, actually the five year rule is a reference to an earlier discussion I had with Lowetide (actually, I think we called it a rule of thumb; there was general agreement that it's hard to suss out a prospect until about five years post-draft), hence the tongue-in-cheek two minutes I assigned him. However, I think some mistook my reply for a vociferous one, so I'll sack up and take all the hectoring I deserve, I guess.
I'll take a two minute penalty for piling on. Obviously, I wasn't privy to your past dialogue and banter and mistook the tone and demeanor of your post. Good on you though for um sacking it up.

Old
07-19-2004, 12:14 AM
oilswell

Another good post Matts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matts
Another might be the Oilers trying to prove they are smarter than anyone else with a pick like Jesse.
I don't really think this is the case, but I can see the Oilers (and other teams) getting frustrated by picking 10-20 and then seeing other teams like Ottawa, New Jersey, and Philadelphia picking late and getting a better guy than they did.

Based on my perusing the draft history, its happened too many times. I know if I'm organizing the Oiler's scouts I'd tell them to toss away CSS and the other rankings and make their own best guess and who cares if its supposedly off the board.

And I'd say that's especially true in weak draft years. Do you know how many players drafted after Niinimaki (2002 draft) have played over 40 games to date? 5. And two of these are Stoll and Lombardi: two guys who re-entered. Now granted its early and undoubtedly some real quality will show, but consider: 7 of the top 15 picks have played 40 games already (5 of the top 8), and in other years guys like Havlat (26th pick in 99), and Gomez (27th pick in 98) had played full seasons the first year and racked up 42 and 70 points, respectively. What I'm saying is if you're picking out of the top 12 in years such as Niinimaki's is probably the year to toss the CSB and Redline reports and trust the instincts of your scouts...and cross your fingers.

Closed Thread