HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tank the season???

View Poll Results: ?
Tank it, but let the kids develop 33 37.93%
Never try to lose! 47 54.02%
Undecided 7 8.05%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2004, 03:27 PM
Unknownbutfamous

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Unknownbutfamous
Tank the season???

What should we do?

Old
07-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Shadowtron

While there's no guarantee tanking the season would land us Crosby, but taking into consideration the state of Rangers hockey, I say this is probably the optimal time to make a move in that direction. You figure best case is Crosby, worst case is a pick in the top 5. What could it hurt?

Old
07-16-2004, 03:51 PM
broadwayblue

we don't have to try...we are one of the worst teams period. true, having jagr hurts our chances as i believe he alone costs us a shot at the worst overall record...but it's still unlikely that wel'll finish outside of the bottom 3.

Old
07-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Mr. Lack

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
we don't have to try...we are one of the worst teams period. true, having jagr hurts our chances as i believe he alone costs us a shot at the worst overall record...but it's still unlikely that wel'll finish outside of the bottom 3.

I couldn't agree more. Why do we have to try? With our current team we will lucky to get 60 points this year.

Let the kids play and learn. We're a lock for a TOP 5 pick.

Old
07-16-2004, 05:12 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue
exactly...we are going to be bad anyway so try to make it the most positive situation possible for the kids

Old
07-16-2004, 05:46 PM
denseistrue

vCash:
As long as the kids play hard I don't care if we lose. I don't want them to lose inentionally. We have been bad but there is no reason to stoop to Penguin level

Old
07-16-2004, 05:52 PM
Sicilian

while i don't think we're going to need to tank the season (with our current lack of top line prospects we're going to lose plenty even with our best efforts) you never EVER try to lose games. think about it... sure, the worse we do the better the pick we get, but also the further we have to go to be contenders again. i would feel much better seeing kids play hard, be rewarded with a respectable record, and get a pick in the 10-12 range, rather than tank and get the #1. i at least would feel like these kids have potential, and this draft is supposedly deeper anyway.

it's the same reason i hate the fact that division leaders automatically get the top three seeds in the playoffs. it created a situation a few years ago where the bruins and capitals played their last game of the season against each, winner took 5th place in the east, loser took 6th. but, as the seeds worked out, the winner actually had a FAR tougher first round opponent, because i believe the flyers, who had the 3rd best record were the 4th seed, and the hurricanes, who had the 8th best record, were the 3rd. i hate situations like that, where losing is theoretically more beneficial than winning.

Old
07-16-2004, 06:25 PM
Olympic nut

Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
The last thing you need when you're icing players aged 20 and up is to teach them cynicism and take away their competetive edge. They want to win, plain and simple, and if the Rangers try to tank this season, it'll be a bad impression.

If the kids go out there and win a whole bunch of games by hard work, enthusiasm, and skill, taking us away from the bottom six, I couldn't care less about Crosby. It would be better for the team as a whole that the young players turn into winners.

Not that I'm expecting that, of course. If they play hard and we lose, that's OK: Crosby will be fine consolation to all involved.

If, on the other hand, they deliberately tank the whole season, I hope the NHL denies them their first round in the draft.

Old
07-16-2004, 06:27 PM
RANGER#11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownbutfamous
What should we do?
Another whole season of loseing is bad enough. I certinately will not hope for it. As impossible as it sounds I am hopeing for the playoffs. Even if it is a 4 game out. I know alot are looking at the bigger picture but I just want it now.

Old
07-16-2004, 06:36 PM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by denseistrue
As long as the kids play hard I don't care if we lose. I don't want them to lose inentionally. We have been bad but there is no reason to stoop to Penguin level
That's a load of garbage if you are insinuating that the Pens tanked games on purpose last year. Unless you mean 1983.

Teams should never lose on purpose, and in this day and age, I don't believe they do. Especially on bad teams (no offense intended, my team is pretty bad too), there will be a lot of fringe players and rookies who are all trying to earn a permanent spot in the league. I don't believe any of them would really not try their hardest.

Losing a lot is really bad, and speaking from experience, there are no guarantees. Just hope for your young players to play well, and let that lead to whatever in the wins/losses column.

Old
07-16-2004, 06:49 PM
Olympic nut

I think it was a reference to 1983. Everyone knows that the Pens went on a tear at the end of last year, and personally, I think that the players on that team will benefit, long-term, from that.

Old
07-16-2004, 07:43 PM
Sicilian

funny that everyone posting is saying we definitely shouldn't tank, and yet the poll is still 16-15 in favor of it

Old
07-16-2004, 07:48 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

losing does not develop young players. this is crazy how can any true rangers fan hope the team loses before a season starts? i understand in feb and march when the team isn't going anywhere but come on.

next season is going to be rough but i don't think the rangers are going to be as bad as everyone else does. haven't we learned on paper things are never as they seem. even if the rangers have the worst record in hockey it doesn't mean they will have the top pick look at the penguins.

Old
07-16-2004, 08:23 PM
Fotiu22

Send a message via AIM to Fotiu22
"HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLOOOOOOOOOO?????!?!?! YOU PLAY TO WIN!!"

-Herm

Old
07-16-2004, 09:13 PM
DarthSather99

I don't think you should ever play to lose, especially with a young club. Our team should be overmatched to begin with so they should lose the majority of the games without trying to lose purposely. Always try to win.

Old
07-16-2004, 09:14 PM
DarthSather99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sicilian
funny that everyone posting is saying we definitely shouldn't tank, and yet the poll is still 16-15 in favor of it

those "other" people are afraid to unmask themselves ...

Old
07-16-2004, 09:20 PM
sensfan

I don't care what the situation is, losing on purpose is wrong and an embarassment to your franchise. Besides, they probably won't do that well anyways. I can't see how any fan can hope that their team tanks the season to get a player even if it's Crosby. People still talk about the Penguins of 83. Do you really want people to be talking about how the Rangers of 04 tanked their season 20 years from now?

Old
07-16-2004, 09:29 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensfan
I don't care what the situation is, losing on purpose is wrong and an embarassment to your franchise. Besides, they probably won't do that well anyways. I can't see how any fan can hope that their team tanks the season to get a player even if it's Crosby. People still talk about the Penguins of 83. Do you really want people to be talking about how the Rangers of 04 tanked their season 20 years from now?
Depends, do we get two Cups, or more, out of it?

BTW, I don't think that you should ever purposley lose.

Last edited by Broadway Brett: 07-16-2004 at 09:35 PM.
Old
07-16-2004, 09:37 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadway Crosby
Depends, do we get two Cups, or more, out of it?

if the fans want to lose on purpose thats shameful but its moot point. in order for a team to lose on purpose you would need the three coaches and 20 players all in on the conspiracy.

i don't expect great things from the rangers next season but i expect effort and an intensity. i will never root for this team to have a bad year just for the chance to draft somebody that may turn out to be the real deal. anybody that does is a loser.

and no broadway crosby i'm not calling you a loser.

Old
07-16-2004, 09:38 PM
NYRGoalieGlut*

I will be rooting to win until the final games and we're in the hunt for #1 overall, then I might be rooting to lose (not necessarily tank). That said maybe I should be rooting to tank and get the #3 spot, I believe that spot has been the winner the last couple of years.

Old
07-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Broadway Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
if the fans want to lose on purpose thats shameful but its moot point. in order for a team to lose on purpose you would need the three coaches and 20 players all in on the conspiracy.

i don't expect great things from the rangers next season but i expect effort and an intensity. i will never root for this team to have a bad year just for the chance to draft somebody that may turn out to be the real deal. anybody that does is a loser.

and no broadway crosby i'm not calling you a loser.
If we have to be remembered as the team that tanked the season for Crosby, and then we win a couple Cups, fine. I want to win the Cup under any circumstances. But, with that said, I'm not in favor of tanking the season, because I know we are not going to do very well, anyways. Let's face it, we are not a very talented team, and even if we busted our young, talented, but raw @$$es, we will not find a way out of the bottom 5 teams. I'm still going to root for the team with all my heart. Even if we end up in last place, we are still not guarenteed to get Crosby.

Old
07-16-2004, 10:43 PM
Ranger Blue
Awaiting Moderation

How in hell can anyone that calls themselves a 'Fan' root for their team to 'Tank the season'???

Old
07-16-2004, 10:58 PM
JJ68NYR

I picked undecided. For me its either make the playoffs or tank it. I dont think we'll be making the playoffs so we should be looking towards the tanking direction.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:27 AM
Olympic nut

Practical response: Everyone who is looking to tank the season thinks they're thinking long-term. They're not. Tanking will be a bad lesson for the kids on this team, it will breed cynicism when we should be looking at building a winning attitude in everyone on the team. For the sake of one player, if we get him, we'll retard the development of a whole team of young players who will be on this team, piss off the coaches and the veterans. At worst, everyone will bolt this team, and no-one will want a part of us.

Emotional response: I want to support a winning team, but I also want to support a team I can respect. A team that tanks is not a team I can respect. Sports is about winning with honour. If I wanted to support an organization that wants to win at all costs, no matter how underhanded, I'll follow international banking.

Old
07-17-2004, 12:54 AM
DJ Spinoza

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
I think it was a reference to 1983. Everyone knows that the Pens went on a tear at the end of last year, and personally, I think that the players on that team will benefit, long-term, from that.
Yeah. The team was just bad and streaky, they didn't tank and management didn't make any tank-moves like they did in 83.

In 83, though, if you tanked you knew you picked first. Now if you tank, the best you get is a coinflip. It might be nice to have assurance of Crosby/Brule, much like Ovechkin/Malkin last year - so maybe some fans start rooting for key losses down the stretch - but I'd never want my team to tank. It's shameless.

Anyways, we have a while before we know if there will be a season to tank. And if there is a season, there are a lot of games to go before you can worry about lotto positioning. Again, from experience, just root and watch the young players develop and let the cards fall where they may.

Closed Thread