HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dean Lombardi On Improving The Team

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-03-2011, 11:05 PM
  #1
KingsVision
HFB Partner
 
KingsVision's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 3,165
vCash: 500
Dean Lombardi On Improving The Team

Dean Lombardi On Improving The Team



GM Dean Lombardi discusses how he plans to improve the team and why it's important to be patient for the right move.

Click HERE to watch!


Last edited by KingsVision: 06-09-2011 at 10:52 PM.
KingsVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:12 PM
  #2
DAkings20
Kings can't score
 
DAkings20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valencia, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 12,093
vCash: 500
It's good that DL knows the team needs offense. Problem is him trying to get it which has now been a 2+ season search.


And DL's new nickname should be "Crazy Eyes Lombardi"


Last edited by DAkings20: 06-03-2011 at 11:19 PM.
DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:34 PM
  #3
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
It's good that DL knows the team needs offense. Problem is him trying to get it which has now been a 2+ season search.


And DL's new nickname should be "Crazy Eyes Lombardi"
Maybe Dean should have a talk with Murray about the offense? You don't score a lot of goals from the half wall after dumping the puck in.


After listening to him, he sure makes it sound like he wants Richards. He is exactly what the Kings need, a player who can create space and keep possession of the puck crossing the blue line. He would also allow Dean to keep Schenn in the AHL to develop a more rounded game without the pressure of being that #2 NHL center. Seems like Richards is plan A and Loktionov/Schenn is plan B.


Last edited by Sydor25: 06-03-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:39 PM
  #4
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!
 
PSP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Lake Forest, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,293
vCash: 500
Let me give you the Reader's Digest version of that:

There's no pressure to produce now or anytime soon - if it happens, great. If not, well ... give us another 5 - 10 years and maybe it will.

It's nice to see that his feet are being held to the fire and that results are expected

... just not this milleneum

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:45 PM
  #5
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!
 
KopitarFAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Lost Wages, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 9,792
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Maybe Dean should have a talk with Murray about the offense? You don't score a lot of goals from the half wall after dumping the puck in.


After listening to him, he sure makes it sound like he wants Richards. He is exactly what the Kings need, a player who can create space and keep possession of the puck crossing the blue line. He would also allow Dean to keep Schenn in the AHL to develop a more rounded game with the pressure of being that #2 NHL center. Seems like Richards is plan A and Loktionov/Schenn is plan B.
Exactly what I took from it. Well, that or he has a player in mind that he'd like to trade for.

That said, he will make an offer with a manageable cap hit, and it will get blown away by the Leafs and Rags.


Last edited by KopitarFAN: 06-03-2011 at 11:55 PM.
KopitarFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:53 PM
  #6
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Let me give you the Reader's Digest version of that:

There's no pressure to produce now or anytime soon - if it happens, great. If not, well ... give us another 5 - 10 years and maybe it will.

It's nice to see that his feet are being held to the fire and that results are expected

... just not this milleneum
Wasn't Taylor given 9 years?

You want Dean replaced after 5 years? Coming off back-to-back playoffs with one of the youngest teams in the NHL? None of the key players for the Kings are in their "prime" yet.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:57 PM
  #7
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Maybe Dean should have a talk with Murray about the offense? You don't score a lot of goals from the half wall after dumping the puck in.


After listening to him, he sure makes it sound like he wants Richards. He is exactly what the Kings need, a player who can create space and keep possession of the puck crossing the blue line. He would also allow Dean to keep Schenn in the AHL to develop a more rounded game with the pressure of being that #2 NHL center. Seems like Richards is plan A and Loktionov/Schenn is plan B.
he also wanted Hossa, Hamhuis etc.. if DL goes after Richards hes just going to make a fool of himself as BR and his agent will use us as bargaining leverage.
Then once DL fails he'll give us the same old rhetoric of the price was to steep, he didn't want to play for us, making room for BR meant moving one of our core pieces lol

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:06 AM
  #8
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,980
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP View Post
Let me give you the Reader's Digest version of that:

There's no pressure to produce now or anytime soon - if it happens, great. If not, well ... give us another 5 - 10 years and maybe it will.

It's nice to see that his feet are being held to the fire and that results are expected

... just not this milleneum
I think with the loss of Zad, you are now my favorite poster

I partially agree with you. I think Lombardi was pretty candid there, but it is all the same stuff he has said before on the subject, though he gave us a little nod (to HockeyFuture) mentioning the rankings, but it is not like he can tell us who is on his list, or how much he wants to add a player. If he came out and said, "I gotta add a guy right now or else I am done, so don't worry Kings fans, we will get him this offseason". Well, then we would be paying five first round draft picks for Jussi Jokinen

In the end though, Dean needs to take the safety off and fire the big bullet and get the indisputable talent we need. I admire his patience, but he has passed up multiple 40+ goal scorers, three by my count in the last couple of years, all during his search while having supreme cap space and assets... It is getting to the point where the "right guy" is the next guy... Dean can't wait forever for this mystical player to fall in his lap, he is going to have to go out there and pry him from someone's unwilling hands. Overpay if you have to, but just get the player, and there aren't many out there that can overcome Murray, take over the offense, and carry us on their backs.

__________________

“We still have a lot of guys who haven't scored a goal since Jesus was a baby.” - Darryl Sutter
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:07 AM
  #9
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
he also wanted Hossa, Hamhuis etc.. if DL goes after Richards hes just going to make a fool of himself as BR and his agent will use us as bargaining leverage.
Then once DL fails he'll give us the same old rhetoric of the price was to steep, he didn't want to play for us, making room for BR meant moving one of our core pieces lol
Again, how is that on Dean? If a player doesn't want to play for Los Angeles, how is Dean supposed to force him?

Hossa wanted to play for a team closer to the cup and he picked correctly, that's not on Dean. Hamhuis took less money to play in his home town of Vancouver, not Dean's fault. I believe the Kings offered the same money that Martin took in Pittsburgh. Again, the player wanted to stay back East.

If Richards wants to play on the East coast, there is nothing that Dean can offer to get him in LA. I don't think it will be a money issue with Richards, he wants to play for a team ready for a run at the cup.

The Kings aren't the only West coast team that has trouble signing UFAs. Maybe Dean will get lucky and be able to sign Luke Schenn when he is an UFA so that he can play with his brother.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:09 AM
  #10
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
In the end though, Dean needs to take the safety off and fire the big bullet and get the indisputable talent we need. I admire his patience, but he has passed up multiple 40+ goal scorers, three by my count in the last couple of years, all during his search while having supreme cap space and assets... It is getting to the point where the "right guy" is the next guy... Dean can't wait forever for this mystical player to fall in his lap, he is going to have to go out there and pry him from someone's unwilling hands. Overpay if you have to, but just get the player, and there aren't many out there that can overcome Murray, take over the offense, and carry us on their backs.
Wasn't Gaborik the ony one he really had a shot at? Gaborik wanted Dean to match the 5 years that NY gave him and Dean said no.

Who are the other ones that he missed on and had a chance with? Please don't say Kovalchuk.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:14 AM
  #11
bobafettish*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 5,961
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Again, how is that on Dean? If a player doesn't want to play for Los Angeles, how is Dean supposed to force him?

Hossa wanted to play for a team closer to the cup and he picked correctly, that's not on Dean. Hamhuis took less money to play in his home town of Vancouver, not Dean's fault. I believe the Kings offered the same money that Martin took in Pittsburgh. Again, the player wanted to stay back East.

If Richards wants to play on the East coast, there is nothing that Dean can offer to get him in LA. I don't think it will be a money issue with Richards, he wants to play for a team ready for a run at the cup.

The Kings aren't the only West coast team that has trouble signing UFAs. Maybe Dean will get lucky and be able to sign Luke Schenn when he is an UFA so that he can play with his brother.
my point is that just because DL wants someone doesnt mean we are actually players in acquiring BR.

bobafettish* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:59 AM
  #12
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,980
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Wasn't Gaborik the ony one he really had a shot at? Gaborik wanted Dean to match the 5 years that NY gave him and Dean said no.

Who are the other ones that he missed on and had a chance with? Please don't say Kovalchuk.
Gaborik, if we had matched the contract, he would have been ours. It is a reasonable contract and he went on to put up the numbers and have another 40 goal season. Sure he is still injury prone, but he is producing all the same regardless.

Heatley, was offered to us for free practically, but Dean claimed he would have taken over the room and poisoned the team or some other nonsense. He went on to score 39 goals the following season and still produces all the same regardless.

And I will mention Kovalchuk. I don't care what anybody says, he was the greatest talent to become available for us and will likely go down as the best Dean will ever encounter throughout his entire career. Dean will swear everyday till Sunday that the numbers didn't work, but he is still sitting in New Jersey with a $6.6 million cap hit, and despite getting a slow start on a team that looked like they were headed for a #1 overall pick, he turned on the afterburners, scored his 30, and carried that team on his back over four other teams ahead of them. Regardless of what is said, I think Kovalchuk's motivations were financial and family based. If we had pulled the trigger and acquired him at the deadline, he would likely still be with us today, and if we had beaten New Jersey's offer, he would very likely be in a Kings sweater (and beating an offer of a $6.6 million cap hit isn't too difficult regardless of the NHL's wannabe enforcement of contract regulations). The fact we lost out on him seems to rest purely at the hands of either DL or AEG. You pick who you want to blame, in the end, it doesn't matter, we could have had him and we walked away from the table.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:13 AM
  #13
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Gaborik, if we had matched the contract, he would have been ours. It is a reasonable contract and he went on to put up the numbers and have another 40 goal season. Sure he is still injury prone, but he is producing all the same regardless.

Heatley, was offered to us for free practically, but Dean claimed he would have taken over the room and poisoned the team or some other nonsense. He went on to score 39 goals the following season and still produces all the same regardless.

And I will mention Kovalchuk. I don't care what anybody says, he was the greatest talent to become available for us and will likely go down as the best Dean will ever encounter throughout his entire career. Dean will swear everyday till Sunday that the numbers didn't work, but he is still sitting in New Jersey with a $6.6 million cap hit, and despite getting a slow start on a team that looked like they were headed for a #1 overall pick, he turned on the afterburners, scored his 30, and carried that team on his back over four other teams ahead of them. Regardless of what is said, I think Kovalchuk's motivations were financial and family based. If we had pulled the trigger and acquired him at the deadline, he would likely still be with us today, and if we had beaten New Jersey's offer, he would very likely be in a Kings sweater (and beating an offer of a $6.6 million cap hit isn't too difficult regardless of the NHL's wannabe enforcement of contract regulations). The fact we lost out on him seems to rest purely at the hands of either DL or AEG. You pick who you want to blame, in the end, it doesn't matter, we could have had him and we walked away from the table.
Completely disagree, it is not as one sided as you say, First of all, NYR gave Gaborik a ridiculous contract, and now are trying to move him, hmmm...I wonder why...

Heatley was offered to us for free? News to me, so I will take your word for it, are you saying that he was an angel in Ottawa, I mean, it's not possible that in a hockey world, small as it is, DL might have had a bit more insight to what Heatley does to a room or means to a room? Maybe, slightly? Regardless, he was traded to SJ, and hasn't brought them any closer to the cup, right?

As far as Kovalchuk goes, we were there, he chose the contract that cost NJ a 1st round pick, and any future moves, etc, hell NJ had to play some games with 17-18 players due to that contract, among others. NJ in the future is going to have to choose between Parise, Kovalchuk, among others, not to mention they have no goaltender once Brodeur is gone. IF you think NJ is in good shape, your standards have dropped. Regardless, DL made Kovalchuk a more than fair offer, and Kovalchuk chose the offer that had his 10 million in it, regardless of what it meant to the team.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:37 AM
  #14
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,980
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Completely disagree, it is not as one sided as you say, First of all, NYR gave Gaborik a ridiculous contract, and now are trying to move him, hmmm...I wonder why...
He is only signed for three more seasons at $7.5. His contract will expire before we get this mythical player, all the while we will likely be able to afford him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Heatley was offered to us for free? News to me, so I will take your word for it, are you saying that he was an angel in Ottawa, I mean, it's not possible that in a hockey world, small as it is, DL might have had a bit more insight to what Heatley does to a room or means to a room? Maybe, slightly? Regardless, he was traded to SJ, and hasn't brought them any closer to the cup, right?
A signed healthy 40 goal scorer for Cheechoo and Michalek? Because of the difficulty he gave them in moving him, we could have had him for peanuts. If Kovalchuk was signed, Dean wouldn't have hesitated on the deadline Simmonds deal, that's for sure. I don't care what Dean says, he makes it more dramatic then it has to be. I like his utopian vision of a team working and getting there together, but in reality cups are won by solid talent mixed with solid depth. We are depth with a sprinkle of talent. Heatley maybe a *******, but he isn't Avery 2.0 and wouldn't have spelled the end of our team or anything stupid. It is legitimate to question whether or not he could have played under Murray, but that is true about anyone. Also, who cares about whether or not he brings a cup to San Jose, we just need someone to put the puck in the net, and that is what he does. 638 players a season do not bring a cup to their team. Is that justification to not want any of them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
As far as Kovalchuk goes, we were there, he chose the contract that cost NJ a 1st round pick, and any future moves, etc, hell NJ had to play some games with 17-18 players due to that contract, among others. NJ in the future is going to have to choose between Parise, Kovalchuk, among others, not to mention they have no goaltender once Brodeur is gone. IF you think NJ is in good shape, your standards have dropped. Regardless, DL made Kovalchuk a more than fair offer, and Kovalchuk chose the offer that had his 10 million in it, regardless of what it meant to the team.
The draft pick was worth it, and we wouldn't have played with 17-18 players because we aren't poor. New Jersey was hanging by a thread on a $6.6m contract. It is a contract cheaper than Kopitar's hit wise... If you beat their offer, they have no where to go. Who cares about New Jersey? Why even bring them up? They aren't the youngest team with the best prospect depth, that is us. All the teams winning the cup nowadays seem to be juggling the cap. It is nothing new and nothing to fear. Sometimes you need to sacrifice to get the necessary talent needed to win. Players of just below his caliber all average $7.5 million... I don't care how you load it, they got a steal of Kovalchuk for the rest of his career at $6.6, and we could have taken him for average value or less and walked away from the table. Dean is waiting for Gretzky at a $1million cap hit. If anyone needs to adjust their standards, it's him.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 01:44 AM
  #15
Herby
Culture Changer
 
Herby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 16,371
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
You want Dean replaced after 5 years? Coming off back-to-back playoffs with one of the youngest teams in the NHL? None of the key players for the Kings are in their "prime" yet.
Syd,

No offense, because I really do enjoy your posts. But you have been one of the main people championing the firing of Terry Murray.

So couldn't one say...

"You want Terry replaced after 3 years? Coming off back-to-back playoffs with one of the youngest teams in the NHL? None of the key players for the Kings are in their "prime" yet."

I just don't get it. Both should be expected to atleast win a playoff series this coming season or both should be shown the door. They are attached at the hip.

Herby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 07:42 AM
  #16
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herby View Post

"You want Terry replaced after 3 years? Coming off back-to-back playoffs with one of the youngest teams in the NHL? None of the key players for the Kings are in their "prime" yet."

I just don't get it. Both should be expected to atleast win a playoff series this coming season or both should be shown the door. They are attached at the hip.
I will always give a GM more time than a coach and most owners would agree. The GM job is more long term and the coach is the fall guy for missed oppotunities (i.e. failing to advance). The GM should be fired if his philosphy is not showing an improvement in the talent level of the team, I beileve that Dean has improved the talent on the Kings and in the minors/AHL. I also believe that the Kings are in their best position to win the Cup since Greatzky was in LA. If AEG allows Dean to spend to the cap, then they are at least not hindering his ablity to build his team.

If the Kings fail to win the pacific and/or fail to make it past the first round next season, I expect Murray to be fired. If he is not, then AEG may have to remove both of them. I hope that Dean would fire Murray to save his job. I really want to see this team with a new coach, if they still fail to advance in the playoffs or can't win the Pacific with a new coach, then Dean can be shown the door.

I don't really care how many coaches a GM hires/fires, some people do and that is fine. I would give Dean 2 more off seasons or 7 total years before I would look to let him go. That is still less than Dave Taylor got. I also think Dave Taylor held on to his own Murray too long and it cost him his job, I can see Dean making the same mistake.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 08:44 AM
  #17
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He is only signed for three more seasons at $7.5. His contract will expire before we get this mythical player, all the while we will likely be able to afford him.
So, that makes it a good signing??? Of course not, there is a reason they are trying to move him, TWO YEARS, after signing him to a 5 YEAR DEAL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

A signed healthy 40 goal scorer for Cheechoo and Michalek? Because of the difficulty he gave them in moving him, we could have had him for peanuts. If Kovalchuk was signed, Dean wouldn't have hesitated on the deadline Simmonds deal, that's for sure. I don't care what Dean says, he makes it more dramatic then it has to be. I like his utopian vision of a team working and getting there together, but in reality cups are won by solid talent mixed with solid depth. We are depth with a sprinkle of talent. Heatley maybe a *******, but he isn't Avery 2.0 and wouldn't have spelled the end of our team or anything stupid. It is legitimate to question whether or not he could have played under Murray, but that is true about anyone. Also, who cares about whether or not he brings a cup to San Jose, we just need someone to put the puck in the net, and that is what he does. 638 players a season do not bring a cup to their team. Is that justification to not want any of them?
Oh wait, I thought you were saying that Heatley was legitimately offered to the Kings, I guess you were basing the, "he was offered to LA for peanuts" based on what SJ paid and no actual knowledge if Heatley would have even accepted a trade to LA at the time.

Who cares if he brings a cup to SJ, you want him to put the puck in the net, ok, fine, WHY DO YOU WANT HIM TO PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET??? Ready..... so you can win enough games to win the cup, see how circular that is??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post

The draft pick was worth it, and we wouldn't have played with 17-18 players because we aren't poor. New Jersey was hanging by a thread on a $6.6m contract. It is a contract cheaper than Kopitar's hit wise... If you beat their offer, they have no where to go. Who cares about New Jersey? Why even bring them up? They aren't the youngest team with the best prospect depth, that is us. All the teams winning the cup nowadays seem to be juggling the cap. It is nothing new and nothing to fear. Sometimes you need to sacrifice to get the necessary talent needed to win. Players of just below his caliber all average $7.5 million... I don't care how you load it, they got a steal of Kovalchuk for the rest of his career at $6.6, and we could have taken him for average value or less and walked away from the table. Dean is waiting for Gretzky at a $1million cap hit. If anyone needs to adjust their standards, it's him.
I don't think you realize this, the only number Kovalchuk saw, was 10 million dollars in one year, the Kings decided, chose, couldn't, whatever you want to call it, do 10 million in one year, so he chose the other contract, he put himself in a worse situation for the money, that's EXACTLY the type of player that isn't needed on A YOUNG IMPRESSIONABLE TEAM. Does he have talent, absolutely, no denying it, is he going to win anything in NJ, absolutely not.

Just curious, who would you have sacrificed to get Kovalchuk?

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:24 AM
  #18
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.
 
ReverseSweep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rancho Santa Margari
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
I think with the loss of Zad, you are now my favorite poster

I partially agree with you. I think Lombardi was pretty candid there, but it is all the same stuff he has said before on the subject, though he gave us a little nod (to HockeyFuture) mentioning the rankings, but it is not like he can tell us who is on his list, or how much he wants to add a player. If he came out and said, "I gotta add a guy right now or else I am done, so don't worry Kings fans, we will get him this offseason". Well, then we would be paying five first round draft picks for Jussi Jokinen

In the end though, Dean needs to take the safety off and fire the big bullet and get the indisputable talent we need. I admire his patience, but he has passed up multiple 40+ goal scorers, three by my count in the last couple of years, all during his search while having supreme cap space and assets... It is getting to the point where the "right guy" is the next guy... Dean can't wait forever for this mystical player to fall in his lap, he is going to have to go out there and pry him from someone's unwilling hands. Overpay if you have to, but just get the player, and there aren't many out there that can overcome Murray, take over the offense, and carry us on their backs.
Loss of Zad?

I'm thinking the same thing. We'll have to go and hit someone on the head and drag them here via trade by their playoff beards. I don't think this will be a UFA signing and DL is going to have be aggressive if he wants that. Suck it up and make a trade but don't rip up too much of our core in the process.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:42 AM
  #19
Chazz Reinhold
Registered User
 
Chazz Reinhold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: The Stanley Cup
Country: United States
Posts: 6,988
vCash: 500
Where did Zad go?

Chazz Reinhold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:03 AM
  #20
Sydor25
LA Kings
 
Sydor25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 21,856
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Sydor25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
Where did Zad go?
http://lakingsnews.com/2011/06/03/al...need-is-boobs/



I'm sure he will be back on the boards more often in September.

Sydor25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:09 AM
  #21
Kingler
 
Kingler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 896
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Completely disagree, it is not as one sided as you say, First of all, NYR gave Gaborik a ridiculous contract, and now are trying to move him, hmmm...I wonder why...
The $/yr for Gaborik is ok. I think Kings offer was same if not more $/yr but less years (like 2)

Not too sure actually why Dean don't want to give Gaborik the contract. I mean, he traded for Williams. He signed Mitchell for 2 years when Vancouver wasn't going to offer more than 1. He traded for Smyth. So if he is willing to sign Williams for 4 years, then why not Gaborik for 5? Really just baffling

Kingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:36 AM
  #22
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.
 
ReverseSweep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rancho Santa Margari
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
http://lakingsnews.com/2011/06/03/al...need-is-boobs/



I'm sure he will be back on the boards more often in September.
Ok, all I got out of that was the boobs link....and I"m not complaining

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 10:43 AM
  #23
ReverseSweep
Kingspiracy.
 
ReverseSweep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Rancho Santa Margari
Posts: 2,818
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
http://lakingsnews.com/2011/06/03/al...need-is-boobs/



I'm sure he will be back on the boards more often in September.
Ok, all I got out of that was the boobs link.

ReverseSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
  #24
sjmay*
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingler View Post
The $/yr for Gaborik is ok. I think Kings offer was same if not more $/yr but less years (like 2)

Not too sure actually why Dean don't want to give Gaborik the contract. I mean, he traded for Williams. He signed Mitchell for 2 years when Vancouver wasn't going to offer more than 1. He traded for Smyth. So if he is willing to sign Williams for 4 years, then why not Gaborik for 5? Really just baffling
Different injuries, Gaborik at the time was coming off an injury prone season that involved his groin, typically that is a recurring injury, and it happened again this season.

The money for Gaborik was ridiculous due to his injury history, and it again, handcuffed NYR where they had to waste an asset (Redden) in the minors, and might have to do the same to Drury.

sjmay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:28 PM
  #25
Telos
Moderator
In Dean We Trust
 
Telos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Country: United States
Posts: 26,980
vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
So, that makes it a good signing??? Of course not, there is a reason they are trying to move him, TWO YEARS, after signing him to a 5 YEAR DEAL.
Bad contracts abound, other teams are still getting the talent they need while we stand around in a competitive market and say "everything will work out". Free agents are going for big money on long extended deals, that's just the name of the game, and Lombardi guesses wrong in that aspect quite often. Gaborik is playing fine in NYR and giving them exactly what we need.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Oh wait, I thought you were saying that Heatley was legitimately offered to the Kings, I guess you were basing the, "he was offered to LA for peanuts" based on what SJ paid and no actual knowledge if Heatley would have even accepted a trade to LA at the time.
His list was everywhere at the time of his trade, and every single copy of the list had LA right there on it. Dean admitted to talking about Heatley, but turned it down based on character, the price he went for was peanuts, and it certainly proved that he was willing to go to the west coast... But you are right that it is based on rumors at the end of the day. It still doesn't change the fact that GM's need to get the job done regardless of the conditions, the right offer would have gotten us a signed 50 goal scorer, and it would have been the cheapest trade for one we would have ever encountered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
Who cares if he brings a cup to SJ, you want him to put the puck in the net, ok, fine, WHY DO YOU WANT HIM TO PUT THE PUCK IN THE NET??? Ready..... so you can win enough games to win the cup, see how circular that is??
You're the only one going in circles. You want a player to do his job, winning the Stanley Cup isn't a one man show unless we are talking Roy. If you are turning down elite talents because he won't carry us single-handedly to the cup, then you need your head examined, regardless of the fact that such a player doesn't exist in today's NHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjmay View Post
I don't think you realize this, the only number Kovalchuk saw, was 10 million dollars in one year, the Kings decided, chose, couldn't, whatever you want to call it, do 10 million in one year, so he chose the other contract, he put himself in a worse situation for the money, that's EXACTLY the type of player that isn't needed on A YOUNG IMPRESSIONABLE TEAM. Does he have talent, absolutely, no denying it, is he going to win anything in NJ, absolutely not.

Just curious, who would you have sacrificed to get Kovalchuk?
For a talent like Kovalchuk? Anyone not named Kopitar, Doughty, Quick/Bernier; Ryan Smyth comes first to mind though... You are drinking a little too much kool-aid here. I like drinking it too, it tastes good, but I think you need to put the Dixie cup down The guy is a money grubbing *******, but his payday only comes once in his career and he is the greatest free agent to hit the market in decades.

If Ovechkin or Crosby hit free agency, it would be the same fiasco and the same dollar signs. The only thing that matters to a NHL team is the cap hit. The only thing that matters to a NHL owner is the salary. The cap hit is perfect for a player like him all the way up to $7.5m and you still have a steal.

As I said, blame DL or AEG, whichever you want to put in your financial conspiracy model, but the most ideal possible elite left winger was available for an affordable price, and we walked away from the table. He isn't missing out on the Stanley Cup in New Jersey because he isn't competitive or talented, it is all based on the team, it makes no difference to the discussion.

And I certainly don't want to hear about how "young and impressionable" we are. That ship has sailed. The core is established, and we are filled with veterans in leadership roles, and we are filling the team to the brim with character grinders. That is nice and all, but it doesn't win championships. We need talent, and we are watching it go to all the wrong places. These players don't grown on trees, and the type of player Dean is seeking never becomes available. Dean will never again see that lineup of elite talent, ideal for the only position he is searching for, make itself available for the choosing... He now needs to make his move. It's o.k. to overpay for Smyth, but not for Kovalchuk? Ridiculous.

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.