HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Canadian Junior Hockey Devoted to the CHL (OHL, QMJHL, WHL), BCHL, CJAHL, and its leagues.

What The CHL Really Needs ... TSN

Old
08-20-2011, 03:46 PM
wjhl2009fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksutton9 View Post
Being in that sports watching lull known as summer, I do watch a few more fringe sports like MLB, F1 and the CFL. Much like the CHL and NHL, the CFL has a "big brother" behemoth always looming although the NFL is the king of the mountain in spectator sports. There is concurrency in seasons in the fall and TSN does have to manage coverage of both. The CFL is regional for the most part and definitely has a bunch of athletes that most people don't know by name at all. It also struggles to capture the imagination of the GTA.

But with all it's flaws, TSN is forcing it down your throats. Yes they are taking advantage of the summer lull but they are still showing the CFL over say owning the Blue Jays broadcast rights. My point is if TSN wants to create interest, they can do it and the CFL has no ties to the NFL. At least with the CHL, there are ways of linking coverage back to current TSN money makers in the WJC and NHL.

I noticed the Score is showing Copa America games and it appears they have announcers voicing over live video since I'm assuming the original feed is not in English. This could be a method for TSN to keep costs down in CHL coverage if that's a real problem.
If tsn was a regional broadcaster i could see the point of showing jays over cfl etc but beeing a national broadcaster they should and do offer programing the whole country wants if tsn was just to show gta based sports thats really not beeing a national channel.

wjhl2009fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2011, 06:53 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan View Post
I really don't know if having a smaller league with bigger markets would get people really interested in if you look around the chl most of the top support market are smaller size citys.
Some of the bigger markets draw well. But I agree, at least in the WHL the most rabid fans tend to be in the smaller markets. Take teams like Saskatoon and Regina. You'd assume that in cities of those size you'd have no problem getting good sized crowds (selling out in Regina and 7-8,000 in Saskatoon) but they tend not to.

I grew up in Saskatoon and the Blades were always a spur of the moment decision to go see them. I followed them casually, but not to the point where I wanted to go to every game. I hate to say it, but I am not the atypical sports fan either. I follow most sports and watch tons of games on television and drive out of my way for a game. The problem with the Blades is that they don't promote the games as must attend events nor are the games anything more than the hockey. My opinion reflects a good portion of fans in Saskatoon. If the Blades pumped up their stars and let people know more about the team, you might attract more fans.

I actually attended a Blades/PA Raiders playoff game this year. You could tell that the Raiders are a big thing in Prince Albert. They had a few bus loads of fans who came down for the game and were chanting and cheering loudly for the first part of the game. They quieted down since the Blades were killing them in that game, final score was 8 to 1 for the Blades. Not that I support this type of crowd involvement, but the Raiders fans took things personally when Blades fans said things and it caused some crowd problems. My point is that this is the type of support the small cities get compared to the big cities.

The Hitmen and Giants draw well. In Calgary, I think it is that Flames season ticket holders are given some free tickets for the Hitmen, so its one of those cases of I paid for it, so I should use it. In the Giants case, they have done well for promoting themselves and positioning themselves as the anti-Canucks, cheap, family friendly games.

However, they aren't the norm. The Oil Kings struggle with attendance in Edmonton. The Montreal Juniors moved this off-season and are the third or fourth Montreal QMJHL team to move or fold. I lived in Toronto when St. Mike's were there and they struggled with attendance. I just don't see a big city, national league doing any better.

Plus, I don't see owners jumping up to it either. The WHL is probably the closest to the idea of a national league and even then the teams only play half the teams in the other conference on the road. They travel by bus, so can you imagine a Vancouver team having to play in Halifax? The other thing is whether or not the players value education, the majority are still high school students. Playing a schedule that sees them flinging from one end of the country to the other would cause them to miss too much school. There are too much logisitcal problems with this idea.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-03-2011, 01:10 AM
SaskaToba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post

The Hitmen and Giants draw well. In Calgary, I think it is that Flames season ticket holders are given some free tickets for the Hitmen, so its one of those cases of I paid for it, so I should use it. In the Giants case, they have done well for promoting themselves and positioning themselves as the anti-Canucks, cheap, family friendly games.

However, they aren't the norm. The Oil Kings struggle with attendance in Edmonton. The Montreal Juniors moved this off-season and are the third or fourth Montreal QMJHL team to move or fold. I lived in Toronto when St. Mike's were there and they struggled with attendance. I just don't see a big city, national league doing any better.

Plus, I don't see owners jumping up to it either. The WHL is probably the closest to the idea of a national league and even then the teams only play half the teams in the other conference on the road. They travel by bus, so can you imagine a Vancouver team having to play in Halifax? The other thing is whether or not the players value education, the majority are still high school students. Playing a schedule that sees them flinging from one end of the country to the other would cause them to miss too much school. There are too much logisitcal problems with this idea.
Completely agree that big city teams don't mean big crowds. You can definitely add Mississauga and Brampton to that list from the O. And in the dub teams like PA, Brandon, Swift Current and Red Deer are big sellers because of their distance from the big markets and sense of the "my home town team" mentality. Edmonton is still a young franchise (I know its their 2nd time around), hopefully they have some major success so more fans go to their games.

Agree with the education factor as well. Also the cost of travelling would be ridiculous and there is no way junior hockey teams would have the budget to afford something like that. These kids don't really make much money playing.

SaskaToba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2011, 10:42 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

I would LOVE to see the 'Dub on TSN. We are stuck with Shaw TV, which televises its games on what appears to be a 23 year old VHS recorder.

Last edited by End on a Hinote: 09-16-2011 at 10:50 AM.
End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-17-2011, 06:22 PM
Rangersfan21

AGREED....rogers and cogeco are also very poor quality in the 'O'

Rangersfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote