HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

A little about Maclean

Old
06-04-2011, 05:53 AM
RISPECK CLASS 101

vCash: 500
A little about Maclean

MacLean played in the NHL for 11 seasons from 1980 to 1991. A standout as a junior, Maclean was drafted late by the St. Louis Blues. After not initially making the full-time roster, Maclean chose to play for Dalhousie University so he would be eligible to for Team Canada in the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

The experience helped Maclean to excel when he finally did crack the NHL, scoring 36 goals in his rookie season after being traded to the Winnipeg Jets. He continued to enjoy success in Winnipeg on a line with Dale Hawerchuk, tallying three 30 goal seasons and three 40 goal seasons, before being dealt to the Detroit Red Wings for Brent Ashton. After another 30 goal season for Detoit he was traded to back to St.Louis with Tony McKegney for Adam Oates and Bernie Federko. In 199091 Maclean suffered a rib injury and retired after ten seasons with 324 goals and 349 assists for 673 points.

His best season statistically was the 198485 season when he scored 41 goals and 101 points. MacLean has the distinction of being the highest-scoring NHL player born in France, with 673 points, although he moved to Canada when he was two and learned to play in Alberta, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The second overall is Philippe Bozon with 41 points, who, unlike MacLean was trained in France.

- His Parents were actually part of the Canadian military
- 101 pt season? Pretty damn good!
- Traded for future hall of famer Adam Oates, NICE!
- Won a Stanley Cup with the Wings
- Coached the Quad City Mallards of the United Hockey League to the Colonial Cup Championship
- Has epic stash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stash.jpg‎ (156.8 KB, 20 views)

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:58 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaser16 View Post
MacLean played in the NHL for 11 seasons from 1980 to 1991. A standout as a junior, Maclean was drafted late by the St. Louis Blues. After not initially making the full-time roster, Maclean chose to play for Dalhousie University so he would be eligible to for Team Canada in the 1980 Winter Olympics in Lake Placid.

The experience helped Maclean to excel when he finally did crack the NHL, scoring 36 goals in his rookie season after being traded to the Winnipeg Jets. He continued to enjoy success in Winnipeg on a line with Dale Hawerchuk, tallying three 30 goal seasons and three 40 goal seasons, before being dealt to the Detroit Red Wings for Brent Ashton. After another 30 goal season for Detoit he was traded to back to St.Louis with Tony McKegney for Adam Oates and Bernie Federko. In 199091 Maclean suffered a rib injury and retired after ten seasons with 324 goals and 349 assists for 673 points.

His best season statistically was the 198485 season when he scored 41 goals and 101 points. MacLean has the distinction of being the highest-scoring NHL player born in France, with 673 points, although he moved to Canada when he was two and learned to play in Alberta, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia. The second overall is Philippe Bozon with 41 points, who, unlike MacLean was trained in France.

- His Parents were actually part of the Canadian military
- 101 pt season? Pretty damn good!
- Traded for future hall of famer Adam Oates, NICE!
- Won a Stanley Cup with the Wings
- Coached the Quad City Mallards of the United Hockey League to the Colonial Cup Championship
- Has epic stash
Having watched him play in the 80's, I can tell you that while MacLean was a decent player, I would not get too excited over a 100 point season in the 80's. Players like John Ogrondnik, Craig Janney, even defensive forwards like Glen Anderson were getting over 100 points in a season. Matter fact, it was not uncommon to see 20 or 30 players with 100 points or more in a season. Also playing with Hawerchuk didn't hurt.

Bottom line, I remember him as an average player with good offensive skills but nothing out of the ordinary. I never picked him in my pools (and in those days, you had to pick Gretzky (goals) and Gretzky (assists) as 2 different picks, but I did pick Hawerchuk a few times. MacClean in today's NHL would be comparable to a Jussi Jokinen.

I have no clue why coming from a military family or being born in France would have any bearing on anything. Heatley also came from a military family and is the highest scoring player to be born in Germany....interesting but totally useless fact.

And he wasn't traded for Adam Oates, he was traded WITH Adam Oates from Detroit to St. Louis.

His coaching record is what it is but I would not consider it anything great. Lots of coaches have had better records and accomplishments. In other words, he's a candidate worth considering, but IMO, nothing he's done as a player or coach would push him to the top of my list. Since I'm not a party to the interviewing process being conducted by the Sens, I'll assume they'll go with the best fit as they see it.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:04 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Nothing about his coaching career, eh?

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:22 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

is he going to play for us? or coach?

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
RISPECK CLASS 101

According to his wiki he was traded FOR Adam Oates, I also mentioned that he won a cup with Detroit and another championship as a coach in the UHL.

For the record Kickabrat, nowhere in this post do I say "MAN I WANT THIS GUYS HE'S TEH AWESOMESAUCE". I personally don't want him as coach, i'd like to see KK but since so many people here seem to have a raging hard-on for him I thought i'd throw out some tidbits of info on the guy.

And yes, most people don't care about his military family background or where he was born but some diehards out there want to know everything about everyone involved or potentially involved with the sens, so again, tidbit.

RISPECK CLASS 101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:15 PM
Shanny
Coming In Hot

Best Stache in the NHL.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:06 PM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaser16 View Post
According to his wiki he was traded FOR Adam Oates, I also mentioned that he won a cup with Detroit and another championship as a coach in the UHL.

For the record Kickabrat, nowhere in this post do I say "MAN I WANT THIS GUYS HE'S TEH AWESOMESAUCE". I personally don't want him as coach, i'd like to see KK but since so many people here seem to have a raging hard-on for him I thought i'd throw out some tidbits of info on the guy.

And yes, most people don't care about his military family background or where he was born but some diehards out there want to know everything about everyone involved or potentially involved with the sens, so again, tidbit.
Here are 3 sources (his wiki is wrong):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam_Oates
Quote:
Oates was traded to the St. Louis Blues after the season, along with Paul MacLean, for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney.
http://tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/bio/?id=21
Quote:
1989/06/15 Detroit Red Wings traded Adam Oates and Paul MacLean to the St. Louis Blues for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...y.php?pid=3294
Quote:
1989-Jun-15 Traded from Detroit Red Wings with Adam Oates to St. Louis Blues for Bernie Federko and Tony McKegney
And I never wrote that you wrote that you wanted MacLean. I wrote that his playing career was nothing to get excited about because you wrote that his 101 pt season was "pretty damn good". If he had manged several 100 pt seasons I'd be more impressed, but I actually saw the guy play, and he was just not that great. He was a decent player at best who played with great centers.

If you had written that you didn't care much about the guy but was just posting tidbits for reference, I still would have posted what I did to balance out the overerly positive tone to your original post precisely because a lot of people are jumping on his bandwagon for no apparent reason other than he was a Red Wings assistant coach.

Kickabrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 02:51 PM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

When is he gonna Play?

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote